Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by primitiveskills »

I don't know, I'm ready for some Hopkins lacrosse! Anyone else?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:16 pm I don't know, I'm ready for some Hopkins lacrosse! Anyone else?
I am, and I think OSU will be quite good this year, so tomorrow's game will be interesting!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:16 pm I don't know, I'm ready for some Hopkins lacrosse! Anyone else?
I am, and I think OSU will be quite good this year, so tomorrow's game will be interesting!
my suspicion is the same, but i'm often wrong in predictions... gotta be right sometime? i'm due? it will be interesting, then we can overreact. look for wide open wings on the backside and blown slides!
primitiveskills

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:27 pm
my suspicion is the same, but i'm often wrong in predictions... gotta be right sometime? i'm due? it will be interesting, then we can overreact. look for wide open wings on the backside and blown slides!
One hope I have for the new regimen is to install a defense that is based more on footwork and fundamentals and less on complex slide packages that take players 4 years to figure out!
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:10 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:37 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 am "You will notice some differences when you see the team on television. All players will be wearing masks under their helmets."

This is the section of the e-mail - I guess most - including me - took "All Players" very literally

-a lot of bitterness from the media that our new dc building took down the façade of their old haunt. If you've never been there, it's going to be quite a statement for the school to own that.
They announced right after they acquired the building that the facade would come off. That’s actually old news. The Newseum put it up there, and extravagances like that and the entire building are why the Newseum wound up financially in a huge hole and had to sell.

And it’s not JHU’s motto.
They are probably bitter because that was the cheapest place to park in the area.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 pm
One hope I have for the new regimen is to install a defense that is based more on footwork and fundamentals and less on complex slide packages that take players 4 years to figure out!
OSU doesn't have a lot of dodgers, so they try to figure out a different way to breakdown a defense, often with picks. I wonder if JHU's defense will be aggressive on ball when picks are coming or the off-ball defender might jump the ball carrier to double team and cause turnovers. I think a couple of OSU's local offensive players are among their quicker dodgers, like Hughes and Wiseman, who can draw slides. I'm thinking they'll try to generate some fast breaks as well with Terefenko.
primitiveskills

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 pm
OSU doesn't have a lot of dodgers, so they try to figure out a different way to breakdown a defense, often with picks. I wonder if JHU's defense will be aggressive on ball when picks are coming or the off-ball defender might jump the ball carrier to double team and cause turnovers. I think a couple of OSU's local offensive players are among their quicker dodgers, like Hughes and Wiseman, who can draw slides. I'm thinking they'll try to generate some fast breaks as well with Terefenko.
Koesterer's defenses at UMBC seemed to be based on fast and effective approaches to ball carriers, not so much to create turnovers but to limit the number of options. Expect we'll see the same here.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm
Yep. Lots of pairs sets on the wings so their big kids can sweep to the middle. They don't have a lot of guys that can just run past defenders. Their X attackman is a big kid who uses his size not quickness to get to spots. A box offense applied to the field.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Alright well I guess it's time for final predictions. I'll go out on a limb with some of the positions that are still a bit unclear

A - Epstein
A - DeSimone
A - Grimes
M - Williams
M - Zinn
M - Angelus
D - Szuluk
D - Lyne
D - Reinson
LSM - Jaronski
LSM - Delaney
SSDM - DiPietro
SSDM - Mabbett
FO - Prouty
G - Kirson

Second midfield in this instance would be Degnon with some rotation of Baskin, Keogh, McDermott, and Chauvette.

If Reinson isn't at close D, then he'll take one of the two LSM spots—but I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to start on D. It'd be nice to have a lefty down there.

SSDM seems like anyone's guess based on the "pile" of guys there. That position sure is going to be an adventure all season but perhaps by April they'll have identified 2 or 3 guys who can play a little bit.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Inside Lacrosse has Murphy potentially starting at attack... whoops! :roll:

"They’ll travel to Homewood Field as the Peter Milliman era’s first opponent. Milliman’s first couple moves have been really interesting. Connor DeSimone will start at attack and Cole Williams will work out of the box to play more downhill, with either heralded freshman Brendan Grimes or Owen Murphy starting at that lefty spot on attack to round out a John Grant Jr.-run attack."
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Good Luck tomorrow! Looking forward to watching.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm Inside Lacrosse has Murphy potentially starting at attack... whoops! :roll:

"They’ll travel to Homewood Field as the Peter Milliman era’s first opponent. Milliman’s first couple moves have been really interesting. Connor DeSimone will start at attack and Cole Williams will work out of the box to play more downhill, with either heralded freshman Brendan Grimes or Owen Murphy starting at that lefty spot on attack to round out a John Grant Jr.-run attack."
Nice to have Murphy back in the mix! :lol:
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:36 pm Alright well I guess it's time for final predictions. I'll go out on a limb with some of the positions that are still a bit unclear

A - Epstein
A - DeSimone
A - Grimes
M - Williams
M - Zinn
M - Angelus
D - Szuluk
D - Lyne
D - Reinson
LSM - Jaronski
LSM - Delaney
SSDM - DiPietro
SSDM - Mabbett
FO - Prouty
G - Kirson

Second midfield in this instance would be Degnon with some rotation of Baskin, Keogh, McDermott, and Chauvette.

If Reinson isn't at close D, then he'll take one of the two LSM spots—but I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to start on D. It'd be nice to have a lefty down there.

SSDM seems like anyone's guess based on the "pile" of guys there. That position sure is going to be an adventure all season but perhaps by April they'll have identified 2 or 3 guys who can play a little bit.
You’re pretty plugged in on this kind of thing, so I trust your opinion over mine.

My two cents from last year: Degnon deserves to start at middy.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm Inside Lacrosse has Murphy potentially starting at attack... whoops! :roll:

-10 years ago Inside Lacrosse was a publication on the ascent. Those stadium games were awesome, they had a ton of great- writers and were a part of the surge of the game. Xanders is a machine, their photography is awesome, but it like so many other publications are missed opportunities in journalism. So many great stories to tell in this sport and ways to tell it and like the rest of the sport I learn most of it here from you guys.
-My depth chart for tomorrw was going to be guinness at fogo, dumplings at attack, an extra large meatlovers at midfield, lava cake on d and in hummus net but then I looked at the 20 lbs I gained in corona and we'll go with a chicken wrap, celery/hummus and coffee.
-I was looking for the box scores from Haus's last game and petros first last night to tomorrow how the lineups compared. Oh well, I'm sure a few of you actually have the game programs from 2000.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu08 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:00 pm You’re pretty plugged in on this kind of thing, so I trust your opinion over mine.

My two cents from last year: Degnon deserves to start at middy.
I really have no info about the LSM or SSDM positions so those are just guesses.

I agree about Degnon. Only player to score in every game last year. I gave this spiel already but last year he was on pace for a borderline AA season despite being in a fairly anemic offense overall...30 goals as a middie is nothing to sniff at. And the fact that he got so much better from freshman to sophomore years makes me think he might have an even higher gear to reach.

Speaking of: https://pressboxonline.com/2021/02/17/q ... tt-degnon/
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

With the Ivies on sabbatical, you bet. Go Jays!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Well, it’s got to be better than last year’s Towson game.
DocBarrister

To Win!

Post by DocBarrister »

Well folks, tomorrow is the official start of the college lacrosse season as the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays take the field! That can mean only one thing ... To Win!

To win, to win,
You'd like like Hell to win.
But you'll have to wait,
'Til the moon turns green,
And the Brass Band plays "God Shave the Dean!"
Hi-lo, Hi-lee,
It's plain as A-B-C,
If anyone's going to win today,
It's we, we, we!

https://m.soundcloud.com/johns-hopkins- ... ns-hopkins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrD-fWJbBU

It’s we, we, we!!!

DocBarrister :D
Last edited by DocBarrister on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 pm Well, it’s got to be better than last year’s Towson game.
is there a vegas line on when the first #firedesko hashtag gets fired into the internetsphere sunday?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Game day, mofos!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”