Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PDSlax

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by PDSlax »

Looking at the slate of games for the next two weeks, I see many of our NEC foes playing two or three games before Hobart has its first scrimmage. Does anyone know how or why this happened?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

New podcast w Raymond.

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2021/2/12 ... lable.aspx

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but between a prior comment or two he’s made and his comments regarding playing MSM when they’re on game sIx kind of indicates to me he really thinks one or more FR are going to be revelations. And that’s saying a ton given how much talent was already there.

Discusses schedule a bit.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

My guess is that he is working with scheduling restrictions from higher up. Practices set to resume on Monday after a 10 day pause.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He said he’s still trying to figure out a Cuse and Cornell (les likely it seems) game. Here’s to hoping we can figure it out. Clearly the most recent data on hospitalizations and the ramping of vaccine administration helps the cause I would think.
Dallasdog

Post by Dallasdog »

Its my understanding PJ Delpha had planned on coming back to play another year at Hobart after looking at a few grad school programs and planned on being at Hobart Jan 1st, but was asked to interview for a position in Nov. and the job offer was to good to pass up and decided to close out his lacrosse career and start his career in the business world. Good luck to him. Tough, I'm sure, but the OCC JUCO player of the year and 2 time All American 2 National Championships and 2 year starter at Hobart had a nice college career and used lacrosse and academics to start a new career. Good Luck to PJ and his family and Thank You for your hard work. (Hobarts first and only transfer?)
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Naw, we've had transfers before. Brendan Saylor transferred in from Univ. of Maryland. Played great for us. Others have too, but i forget names.
Practices pushed back due to COVD. They might start Wednesdays. But a friend on campus says he seen people doing anything possible to stay fit ... playing wall ball on the side of Medbury, jumping rope in front of Geneva Hall, running around Houghton House. Can't say the drive is not there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:34 pm Naw, we've had transfers before. Brendan Saylor transferred in from Univ. of Maryland. Played great for us. Others have too, but i forget names.
Practices pushed back due to COVD. They might start Wednesdays. But a friend on campus says he seen people doing anything possible to stay fit ... playing wall ball on the side of Medbury, jumping rope in front of Geneva Hall, running around Houghton House. Can't say the drive is not there.
Chuck Wilbur, Zach Russo, Joe Leska, Mark Williamson, Jamie Kirk, Saylor, Mike White, among others in the D1 era.

For the most part though we’ve probably lost more talent than we’ve had transfer in but hope everyone ended up where they belonged. In the 2000s there was a stretch where we were recruiting well but losing a bunch, Jeff Ryan always comes to mind, Brad Obloj (mid late 90s), David OQuinn, Will Harrington, Ben Whaler, Ryan Liebel, Brandon Buchmyr, etc. Also had this nationally recognized recruiting class in 2013 that was ranked like 20th and had four ranked high school kids. None played four years at Bart, Matt Opsahl having some success but taking his senior year off after the coaching change but was a top 50jr. Bud Graham went to Lynchburg(?-soem odac school), Luke Miller transferred you OSU and one or two other kids transferred to D3 schools. I love how were doing now so let’s just keep the momentum going onward and upward.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dallasdog wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 pm Its my understanding PJ Delpha had planned on coming back to play another year at Hobart after looking at a few grad school programs and planned on being at Hobart Jan 1st, but was asked to interview for a position in Nov. and the job offer was to good to pass up and decided to close out his lacrosse career and start his career in the business world. Good luck to him. Tough, I'm sure, but the OCC JUCO player of the year and 2 time All American 2 National Championships and 2 year starter at Hobart had a nice college career and used lacrosse and academics to start a new career. Good Luck to PJ and his family and Thank You for your hard work. (Hobarts first and only transfer?)
We thank his contribution and hope he finds all the success he is looking for in the world.

My friend suggested, and I agree, that other than unknown FR, Nalen seems like a front runner for the third close D spot. Dan Ryan could play there instead of LSM and we have other candidates like Horton and Trujillo amongst others. I assume you paid attention to the D so I wonder who you might like for the third close D spot with Delpha moving on to great things?
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

During one of the podcasts, it sounded like Coach Raymond was impressed with freshman from Minnesota.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I heard that too, Porter Johnson. Also high in Matt Turner form NJ and Christiansen’s club (Blue Star, Chris Fake played with them as well so perhaps they are a good club for developing defensemen). Just wonder if you want to count on Mueller being healthy with a FR and a super talented Christiansen who still only has 21 games under his belt in front of a raw goalie.

MSM beat a depleted Del today missing half their offense. Scott was 0,2 but didn’t see the game.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:29 pm I heard that too, Porter Johnson. Also high in Matt Turner form NJ and Christiansen’s club (Blue Star, Chris Fake played with them as well so perhaps they are a good club for developing defensemen). Just wonder if you want to count on Mueller being healthy with a FR and a super talented Christiansen who still only has 21 games under his belt in front of a raw goalie.

MSM beat a depleted Del today missing half their offense. Scott was 0,2 but didn’t see the game.
I watched the game today. Don‘t know how depleted Delaware was, but the Mount beat them in every aspect of play. We are really going to have our hands full come March 6. MSM is a very talented and experienced team and they will have had the benefit of many games against tough competition by the time we play them. Will we have the benefit of any scrimmages?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Regardless of how good mount is,will be game tested, per the thread their entire attack of Kitchen, Kurtz & Robinson we’re out as well as Hervada, Stevenson (big transfer mid from Rutgers) and Owen Grant. Sounded like a skeleton team on the field from there and Del thread.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

First full team practice in weeks yesterday. I've heard we have been hit hard by COVID, but not sure what that means or who it applies to. I dont think there are any scrimmages scheduled, but no matter what we'll be playing without much experience together.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Hope the outbreak in the team is not too widespread
Bummer as Greg just mentioned on the last podcast they had fortunately avoided the virus
Good luck to the boys, hope they recover quickly
As part of Coach Raymond developing his players I hear he recently had a team zoom meeting with USMC officer 1st Lt. Owen Smith 18’. Always a strong leader on campus Druid Society , national honor society , Arnold Scholar, NEC Commissioner role 4 years etc... Owen zoomed in from his combat deployment in the Middle East to talk to the boys about leadership , dedication, honor, teamwork and the like. Well done Greg and Owen Hip Hobart
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Back to full practices again. Campus opening up. Bubble is open. Looking good. Just need to make use of the time before the 6th.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good news. I’m counting days like a prisoner at the end of his sentence now.

Any idea if the colleges ever got paid by the GC who blew that up? I know there was some insurance (perhaps the GCs) but I still have to think Coach Hanna is somehow to blame for this, maybe in selecting the builder. Wonder if we could’ve scraped together alums like Bozzuto to develop it instead of a third party.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Things are trending positively in Geneva.....the Winter is starting to fade , the virus is weakening (although not gone ) and Hobart lacrosse is returning . Lets hope the team will be disciplined and avoid any Covid restrictions and get our first lacrosse win in a year against MSM. GOBART
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Today is the athletic Day of Donors...get to the Hobart website and make your donation! Covid's impact is making this season more expensive than ever--even though college age students have minimal risk, but that's another story ;)
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Wow, it's just Feb. 24 and Duke has played 4 games already. What's wrong with this picture?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”