Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FlyEaglesFly

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I am assuming it is nearly impossible for these kids to get into the grad program at each Ivy school - so how many student athletes are really going to be able to take advantage of their extra year they were awarded?
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

IVY LEAGUE IS AN EMBARRASSEMENT. I thank God my kids didn't go there. Elite snobs who know better? On the same level as Hollywood.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I can't imagine that the class of '21 Yale recruits are thrilled that they will be effectively competing with 4 upper classes as they enter in the fall. But at the same time, I don't think that changes one single recruit's decision to attend the school.

And as a parent, if my son or daughter got admitted to Yale, I would not care one bit about the glut of upperclassmen fighting for playing time. Lacrosse would not be the primary reason for choosing to attend a school like Yale. Plus, they'd probably have a great experience being on a nationally-ranked team led by one of the great coaches in the game. My $.02
smoova

Post by smoova »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:37 pm Not being unexpected does not make it any LESS easier, lets just get that clear.

Joe
Amazing.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm I can't imagine that the class of '21 Yale recruits are thrilled that they will be effectively competing with 4 upper classes as they enter in the fall. But at the same time, I don't think that changes one single recruit's decision to attend the school.

And as a parent, if my son or daughter got admitted to Yale, I would not care one bit about the glut of upperclassmen fighting for playing time. Lacrosse would not be the primary reason for choosing to attend a school like Yale. Plus, they'd probably have a great experience being on a nationally-ranked team led by one of the great coaches in the game. My $.02
I wonder if we will see a increase in the number of players in the 2020-2023 Ivy League classes who drop lacrosse but stay enrolled at the school. That may, or may not, create minor problems for coaches in 2024-2027 when their upper classes are significantly smaller than they were in prior years.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

smoova wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:37 pm Not being unexpected does not make it any LESS easier, lets just get that clear.

Joe
Amazing.
Yes my ability to be consistent is unrivaled. Just because something was communicated to the players is NOT insulation that its EASIER for them to handle, not ONE bit.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm I can't imagine that the class of '21 Yale recruits are thrilled that they will be effectively competing with 4 upper classes as they enter in the fall. But at the same time, I don't think that changes one single recruit's decision to attend the school.

It is the classes behind the player that they need to worry about......Might be good as the 2022 and 2023 HS recruiting classes could be smaller. A 2021 graduate may actually be in a good spot. Would love to talk to the parent that advises his son/daughter to go elsewhere because the IL cancelled Spring sports in 2021.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"ivy envy"

Hard not to read that last part of your statement and not think this is only the beginning of a complete overhaul of ivy approach to development, athletics, alumni and admissions. In an information age environment can't really claim to be the best in the land when you're run like an 1875 brahmin social club. No way you can claim you're putting the best students in the classroom and athletes on the field when your rosters have at minimum kids from 1% public high schools. Trump, Kushner, Full House, BLM, corona $, changes peers at other schools are making, changes in makeup of administrators and faculty. Buffy and Muffy have a lot to keep themselves up at night in the coming weeks and months ahead.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm
smoova wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm

Joe
Amazing.
Yes my ability to be consistent is unrivaled. Just because something was communicated to the players is NOT insulation that its EASIER for them to handle, not ONE bit.

Joe
I think he may have been chuckling at your grammar, Joe.
So many negatives, you reversed the meaning from what you had intended.
And then this garbled sentence...
No worries, we get your meaning...and that too, as you say, is "consistent".
The all caps are a big help. :roll:
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:51 pm "ivy envy"

Hard not to read that last part of your statement and not think this is only the beginning of a complete overhaul of ivy approach to development, athletics, alumni and admissions... Buffy and Muffy have a lot to keep themselves up at night in the coming weeks and months ahead.
Regarding admissions, that overhaul already happened, with a big emphasis on diversity and a drastic reduction in legacies. Sure, Ivy rosters have some private-school graduates, but also a lot from public high schools. Buffy and Muffy are sleeping well at Kenyon and Pine Manor, respectively.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Hard not to read that last part of your statement and not think this is only the beginning of a complete overhaul of ivy approach to development, athletics, alumni and admissions. In an information age environment can't really claim to be the best in the land when you're run like an 1875 brahmin social club. No way you can claim you're putting the best students in the classroom and athletes on the field when your rosters have at minimum kids from 1% public high schools. Trump, Kushner, Full House, BLM, corona $, changes peers at other schools are making, changes in makeup of administrators and faculty. Buffy and Muffy have a lot to keep themselves up at night in the coming weeks and months ahead.
Help me out JHU06, what are you referring to with the phrase "at minimum kids from 1% public high schools"? Are you saying that there's some sort of patting on the back for accepting kids from public high schools, but who cares if those are the very wealthy public high school neighborhoods?

I'd agree with that if that's the way they were actually doing admissions but I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding in the public about how Ivy admissions work and the analysis of socioeconomics as a factor. It's not so simple as "public school good"...

What the public seems to not understand is that there's at least 100% more kids not admitted who were perfectly qualified to do the class room work at any Ivy who do not get accepted. Maybe 3X actually.

Of course, that just means that the top 15-30% of Ivy applicants could all be quite successful students there, but they only take 5-10%. (and that's not including the amazing international applicants who are turned away)

The decisions on who to take out of that well qualified group cover a lot of different factors, one of which is an extra boost for overcoming socioeconomic challenges to make it into that select few at all.
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

The kids (and perhaps some parents) will have plenty of time to get some perspective. i suggest reading:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:04 pm

Hard not to read that last part of your statement and not think this is only the beginning of a complete overhaul of ivy approach to development, athletics, alumni and admissions... Buffy and Muffy have a lot to keep themselves up at night in the coming weeks and months ahead.
Regarding admissions, that overhaul already happened, with a big emphasis on diversity and a drastic reduction in legacies. Sure, Ivy rosters have some private-school graduates, but also a lot from public high schools. Buffy and Muffy are sleeping well at Kenyon and Pine Manor, respectively.
When my friend was in HS in the early 80’s his headmaster would
call the Ivy admissions departments and tell them how many boys he was sending. He’s not sure they even applied!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If I am an IL coach, I am looking for new work.....pronto. The IL is on a MF'ing mission.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

We'll, that's that. Maybe some "local competition"...

RT @Inside_Lacrosse: The @IvyLeague said there will be no conference games or league championships this spring. They "may allow for limited, local competition" https://t.co/TnpmSI9Bzm
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:36 pm If I am an IL coach, I am looking for new work.....pronto. The IL is on a MF'ing mission.
Yep. I heard the IL is going to drop all sports to intramural. Coaches should see the writing on the wall. NESCAC coaches will be looking too....a lot of guys will be out of work....best to get ahead of it. Milliman saw it....Byrne is trying to get out of his deal!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:42 pm I heard the IL is going to drop all sports to intramural.
You being sarcastic or serious?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

I just heard the 2020-21 McDonald’s All American game is being cancelled. I am going to tell kids to turn down the invited in the future!
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:42 pm I heard the IL is going to drop all sports to intramural.
You being sarcastic or serious?
I need a sarcasm font. Could have added an eye roll..... It wouldn’t shock me if people thought that was a real possibility.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:36 pm If I am an IL coach, I am looking for new work.....pronto. The IL is on a MF'ing mission.
Yep. I heard the IL is going to drop all sports to intramural. Coaches should see the writing on the wall. NESCAC coaches will be looking too....a lot of guys will be out of work....best to get ahead of it. Milliman saw it....Byrne is trying to get out of his deal!
Indeed, next will be wall street, since there will be no mare laxers to fill those spots. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”