Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:09 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:43 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:03 pm From this morning....Penn Men’s Lacrosse Players: 'Our Perspective on the Spring'

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ing-/57303
A number of excellent points in there, nicely done by the team. Unfortunately, given the universal scientific and medical consensus that playing outdoor sports poses no risk to college students, they are trying to use rational arguments to sway an irrational decision. This makes for tough sledding but best of luck to them. There is one argument they raise (if I am reading it right) that is not going to be valid but only argues more for playing. They state that "cancelling another season would create another extra year for players, which would create complicated eligibility issues". While a few of them may now have an opportunity to play during a graduate year at an Ivy, they will not most certainly not be granted another "extra year" or any additional eligibility. That, in my mind, misguided NCAA decision last year was a one off. You will not get any extra years if you are not playing only because of the decision of your school while the rest of the sporting world has moved on.
My first inclination when reading it...they are doomed. Ain't no way in hell they are going to listen to students, especially if they ignored cash cow alum donors. IMO, they have an agenda....and athletics is in the way.
-First in a trumpian/blm environment a roster where the public school kids come from rye and darien says a lot about why the administrations are being pushed to rethink athletics.
-In that context which administrators have broadcast that mindset for awhile this piece/and this thread makes the donna martin graduates campaign look like the clinton-gore 92 war room. "Student athletes for justice" led by immigrant honors list cross country runners and womens basketball players focusing on their off court leadership in the classroom with mens lacrosse players involved, much easier sell than this.
+1
“I wish you would!”
TAV

Post by TAV »

The Ivy League has made their decision - it’s time to move on. As a parent of a current Harvard Junior (who I practically begged not to go), I could probably add a view insights or opinions, but I don’t want anyone “triggered”. No Ivy lax, BUT there are excellent teams and players ready, willing and able to display their craft. Enjoy!
Typical Lax Dad

TAV wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:37 pm The Ivy League has made their decision - it’s time to move on. As a parent of a current Harvard Junior (who I practically begged not to go), I could probably add a view insights or opinions, but I don’t want anyone “triggered”. No Ivy lax, BUT there are excellent teams and players ready, willing and able to display their craft. Enjoy!
Yep
“I wish you would!”
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I am not sure the final word has been determined....apparently the IVY presidents and ADs are getting together this weekend. As an optimist I want to keep some IVY presence from being buried on pages way back as other schools get to play and post. It would be extremely disappointing to not have any ivy lax this year. Between the Penn player letter, Brown petition, WSJ article, INside Lacrosse reporting and individual letters and emails the administrators are well aware of the majority of people feeling that the IVY teams should join the 60 some other teams that have found a way to make this season happen. You have to really feel for the IVY players.
Certainly does not seem right to still be in limbo
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I agree with you, Bearlaxfan. It makes sense to keep dialogue open. I do sympathize with the Harvard Lacrosse parent above. However, I have the impression that Coach Byrne has not given up yet.

This is by no means a new issue in the Ivies. I recall the story of a pre-war HYP football coach who lamented "all I need is a three hundred pound tackle who is fluent in Latin". While I'm sure the original quote was slightly different, the athletic/academic trade off has been with the league even in it's earliest iteration.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

It's possible that the trajectory on daily new cases is sufficiently steeply negative that the Ivies will have some cover on opening up more of their campus rules...enough that sports become feasible while being consistent with rules for all students.

The variants continue to be a worry, but as vaccinations continue, perhaps there's a growing sense that moving on this now is ok?

Sure, there's lots of public pressure, but unless they want to release the constraints for all their students, it's still not likely to happen for sports as an exception.

But fingers crossed.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

There's a planned announcement for 1 pm. https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 7501218816
118:24 #HHH
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

They are officially out for the season

Consistent with its commitment to safeguard the health and wellbeing of student-athletes, the greater campus community and general public, the Ivy League Council of Presidents has decided not to hold league competition or host league championships this spring."
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm They are officially out for the season

Consistent with its commitment to safeguard the health and wellbeing of student-athletes, the greater campus community and general public, the Ivy League Council of Presidents has decided not to hold league competition or host league championships this spring."
I would debate that this is "in the best interest of the well being of student-athletes."
sanelaxparent

Post by sanelaxparent »

I'm disappointed as well that there won't be any Ivy competition or championships. I'm reading it that each team can judge whether, later in the season, they want to play local competition or games here and there. Not to say this is a good outcome, just wondering if teams will continue to practice or not?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Okay, so no Ivy League conference games or IL Tourney. For Penn and other Ivy teams that might still be practicing, there is this: "If public health conditions substantially improve and if permitted by an institution, local non-conference competition may be allowed to occur this spring. These competitions will be subject to league stipulations and must remain consistent with institutional policies for comparable co-curricular activities, including applicable travel restrictions for on-campus students and university visitor policies." Not sure how realistic it might be to hope... probably better not to hope.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2021/2/18/ge ... ining.aspx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:26 pm Okay, so no Ivy League conference games or IL Tourney. For Penn and other Ivy teams that might still be practicing, there is this: "If public health conditions substantially improve and if permitted by an institution, local non-conference competition may be allowed to occur this spring. These competitions will be subject to league stipulations and must remain consistent with institutional policies for comparable co-curricular activities, including applicable travel restrictions for on-campus students and university visitor policies." Not sure how realistic it might be to hope... probably better not to hope.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2021/2/18/ge ... ining.aspx
Navy is scheduled @ Penn on 13-MAR, would satisfy OOC and eliminate and travel on their part.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

sanelaxparent wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:23 pm I'm disappointed as well that there won't be any Ivy competition or championships. I'm reading it that each team can judge whether, later in the season, they want to play local competition or games here and there. Not to say this is a good outcome, just wondering if teams will continue to practice or not?
Yes on practice. This has been a known possible (probable) outcome. Two lost seasons in a row is tough. Looking forward to the fall when things are closer to normal. Best of luck to the athletes.
“I wish you would!”
smoova

Post by smoova »

As suspected: Any spring "... competitions will be subject to league stipulations and must remain consistent with institutional policies for comparable co-curricular activities, including applicable travel restrictions for on-campus students and university visitor policies."

In other words, "absolutely no special treatment for varsity athletes (beyond the special treatment they already enjoy(ed) during the admissions process)."

If I were a football player, I'd be concerned about outdoor group size limitations in fall 2021 ...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 pm
sanelaxparent wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:23 pm I'm disappointed as well that there won't be any Ivy competition or championships. I'm reading it that each team can judge whether, later in the season, they want to play local competition or games here and there. Not to say this is a good outcome, just wondering if teams will continue to practice or not?
Yes on practice. This has been a known possible (probable) outcome. Two lost seasons in a row is tough. Looking forward to the fall when things are closer to normal. Best of luck to the athletes.
+1
It's too bad, frustrating for many, but not unexpected.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 pm
+1
When you see these fits and starts at other schools, the last thing I expected was the IL to be forced to quarantine students because kids are playing sports. Just not going to happen whether I like it or not. Many athletes took the year off in the hopes of a more normal experience when they return to campus. I would have recommended the same.
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

Surprise, surprise, the Ivy league is treating its' student athletes like all their other students, subjecting them to the same rules and restrictions during the time of Covid. It remains to be seen how accommodating the institutions will be toward their athletes as regards graduate school enrollment now that they have indicated they will tolerate graduate play on the part of their athletes, as well as what eligibility will remain for those athletes who have remained enrolled and might see a very limited local OOC schedule later this year. As far as I know only Yale has totally canceled its' 2021 season outright with 40 out of 48 lacrosse players non-enrolling this spring in order to circumvent any eligibility issues provided they are allowed to reenroll next spring. I imagine others will follow suit unless further guidelines are forthcoming.
Last edited by calourie on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 pm
+1
Not being unexpected does not make it any LESS easier, lets just get that clear.

Joe
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

calourie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 pm Surprise, surprise, the Ivy league is treating its' students athletes like all their other students, subjecting them to the same rules and restrictions during the time of Covid. It remains to be seen how accommodating the institutions will be toward their athletes as regards graduate school enrollment now that they have indicated they will tolerate graduate play on the part of their athletes, as well as what eligibility will remain for those athletes who have remained enrolled and might see a very limited local OOC schedule later this year. As far as I know only Yale has totally canceled its' 2021 season outright with 40 out of 48 lacrosse players non-enrolling this spring in order to circumvent any eligibility issues provided they are allowed to reenroll next spring. I imagine others will follow suit unless further guidelines are forthcoming.
Almost certain those students who stay enrolled for the semester will not be getting any extra eligibility. That is not something a school or league can decree on its own. It is up to the schools if they want to allow grad students who still have eligibility left to play but it is not up to them to decide who is eligible. This will almost certainly count as a season of eligibility, regardless of whether the schools are playing or not as that would be their decision, not the NCAA’s.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 pm Surprise, surprise, the Ivy league is treating its' students athletes like all their other students, subjecting them to the same rules and restrictions during the time of Covid. It remains to be seen how accommodating the institutions will be toward their athletes as regards graduate school enrollment now that they have indicated they will tolerate graduate play on the part of their athletes, as well as what eligibility will remain for those athletes who have remained enrolled and might see a very limited local OOC schedule later this year. As far as I know only Yale has totally canceled its' 2021 season outright with 40 out of 48 lacrosse players non-enrolling this spring in order to circumvent any eligibility issues provided they are allowed to reenroll next spring. I imagine others will follow suit unless further guidelines are forthcoming.
Maybe this will force some families to send their kids elsewhere. That will show ‘em. Seriously, I feel bad for the athletes as many of them have had to hit the pause button for a year. Some are making the most of it. It stinks but it is what it is. In the grand scheme of things, it’s a minor inconvenience. I am glad to not have a kid impacted. I am sure it would have bothered me more. The kids that graduated and moved on last Spring, made the right choice.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”