Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm The pre-season disrespect doesn’t bother me.
doesn't bother me either. just don't understand it...
Yes, feel the same way.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:12 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm The pre-season disrespect doesn’t bother me.
doesn't bother me either. just don't understand it...
Yes, feel the same way.

DocBarrister
Princeton was unranked at the start of last season and was up to #3 after playing 5 games. Pre-season means nothing. Just win, baby.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

doc b we missed your sunny optimism.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

blue angels wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:31 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:32 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm my point is that i don't think the jays are down. somehow SU won the National C'ship last season and JHU became a fledgling program... which simply aren't true. this season needs to start...!
SU won the championship last season?

In what imaginary universe was that? 1990?
Why don't you read his whole post and it might make sense to you........
I did, the first time.

Never miss an opportunity to make fun of Cuse.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm my point is that i don't think the jays are down. somehow SU won the National C'ship last season and JHU became a fledgling program... which simply aren't true. this season needs to start...!

I did, the first time.

Thing about cuse is that they know the 7-10 the last 10 years in ncaa tournament, 1 ff. Desko, hot seat?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 pm doc b we missed your sunny optimism.
Heh. Thanks. Go Blue Jays.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 am

I did, the first time.

So, it might be worth it to scroll to the bottom to enjoy their lifetime achievement award: https://www.thefire.org/10-worst-colleg ... eech-2021/
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Lol. Cuse and cats in one post. Well played!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Campus is closed today due to the storm (so is Maryland’s). Supposed to continue into tomorrow but then stop later in the day. Should be fine by Saturday but I hope this does not throw a wrench into the opening weekend—for us or for Maryland who is hosting Michigan. Would be a cruel twist of fate for them to survive the Covid scare only for some snow to ruin things anyway.

Latest email from Milliman says the players will be wearing masks under their helmets and won’t go into the locker rooms at halftime if the weather permits. Said university will re-evaluate having fans at Homewood for the second half of the schedule.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

any idea if they'll be double masking?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:11 am any idea if they'll be double masking?
Is there no better use of your time than monitoring this thread for opportunities to insert flippant comments?

Program for Saturday: http://publogix.com/e/21-JHUMLGD1/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:21 am
Is there no better use of your time than monitoring this thread for opportunities to insert flippant comments?

fletch:"thank god. the.. police."

i could explain the relevance of the previous post to you, but it's a rabbit hole.

i, like all lacrosse fans, am happy that the jays and all players that get to suit up will be able to. may be fits and starts, but the season should come off.

must be opening week. tensions are high.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Weather forecast says mostly sunny, very minimal chance of precipitation, with a high of 34. Some wind up to 14MPH. Could be worse (and good that it's not a night game!).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:46 am fletch:"thank god. the.. police."

i could explain the relevance of the previous post to you, but it's a rabbit hole.

i, like all lacrosse fans, am happy that the jays and all players that get to suit up will be able to. may be fits and starts, but the season should come off.

must be opening week. tensions are high.
While I think most people on this thread are intelligent enough to have heard about and comprehend the reported benefits of double masking your initial response did sound pretty flippant - when I first saw it the immediate thought was you're trying to jerk a chain. '16 was referencing a brief e-mail sent to alumni by Milliman with an update on how things are going - I thought it was very well done - addressing safety issues and putting forth that the 3 points of emphasis are improvement/fundamentals and competitiveness. So I don't think anybody out here has a grasp on the issue of the type or number of masks worn. It's got to be hard to play lacrosse with a mask no matter what - I tried going to the driving range with a mask on and hated it. Would plexiglass inside the helmet work - or get fogged up? Maybe that's like trying to get bleach or UV light inside the body.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

They are double masking:

Wearing a mask and masquerading as a #20 team. They should be higher and will be eventually.

Massey already has them at 17th.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 am So I don't think anybody out here has a grasp on the issue of the type or number of masks worn. It's got to be hard to play lacrosse with a mask no matter what - I tried going to the driving range with a mask on and hated it. Would plexiglass inside the helmet work - or get fogged up? Maybe that's like trying to get bleach or UV light inside the body.
plexi does fog. a lot, probably by degree somewhat dependent on conditions.
it wasn't about the type of masks. buckle up. looks like the weather will hold, next is hold your breath (every weekend probably) on tests.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

We'll see
I am really trying just to enjoy the fact that it is now a greater than 50% probability I will see them on my TV this year.
Expectations would be so unfair - they've barely practiced and already a very significant injury (Fernandez) has hit them in the spot on the field where they can least afford it.
I think they have a decent amount of offensive talent - by the end of the year possibly they will be a handful for defenses - maybe the one positive is that the opposition - much like us - will have little idea initially what they are going to see.
As QK alluded to - it may all come down to what the defensive mid-field can stand up to - there's very little experience and it remains to be seen with respect to the athleticism and talent level
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:21 am

I think his comment is exactly on point. NCAA basketball players do not need to wear masks while playing in games...no of course, not - they play indoors and there is more contact between players than lax (outside of the face-off). So why is Hopkins (and as far as I know the only college team) requiring its players to wear masks underneath their helmets? Regardless, of what pro-maskers say, mask reduce air flow and this can inhibit a player from pulling in enough oxygen to maintain appropriate level of endurance (Let's also not ignore the fact players were off for at least a week) and haven't had full training regime like other programs (no on-campus practice in the fall).

Let's also get to the practical.

1) When a player comes off the field and needs to get water, he is almost going to have to take off his helmet to pull down his mask and get water. What if a player needs to turn around and run back onto the field - say a quick turnover and the player is the LSM or SSDM that is supposed to go back out...welp, that's not going to work.

2) You can certainly try to hydrate with your helmet on but it is likely you are going to soak your mask squirting water into...if that is a medical mask, you just ruined it and have to swap it out (you have to take off your helmet to do that - see point 1). If you have a cloth mask and it gets soaked, your mask is even more worthless than when it was dry.

I won't even get into the perspiration issues glomming onto a mask while running around.

Not going into a lockroom - is whatever. But, the rest is pure virtual signaling on the part of who ever thought of this - I'd guess it wasn't Millman but some desk jockey in the school that has never played sports.

I come from this from my son who had to wear a mask in the fall during a couple of youth lax tournaments and he told me it was essentially pointless. Though I guess under your mask is better than this stupidity

Crap: my image didn't come up. How do you post a image from your computer to the site? I want to post this picture

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/ ... Jp7xSdm6e1
Last edited by steel_hop on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I wear my mask in the gym every day. It's not a big deal. These kids are much better athletes than me. They'll figure it out. Worry about something else.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”