The Business of Innovation

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: The Business of Innovation

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm I would encourage folks to check in general chatter about the 3D printed house. This technology, 3D printing, has the potential to be a Kondriatiev wave level innovation for all of society IMO.

Conceptually similar innovation, this may bleed into other thread topics, but what is the argument against GMOs? Particularly when I've read we can create superfoods such as tomatoes which provide a full days nutrients for a person. If it's the "unkown" of science, that doesn't seem very "progressive" to me. Strikes me, raw meat for the hardcore right, that it's an anachronistic concept on the left which has some abtract devotion to food coming from the ground regardless of net contribution to humankind. But there's a few scientists poking around here, so maybe they can enlighten me on some risk or downside I am not aware of.
Biggest issues of GMOs seem to be (from the perspective of family farms):

Concentration of corporate power - rapid consolidation of seed industry for crops, in particular.

Contamination of non-GMO crops (pollination from GMO crops modifying non-GMO crops
(this also leads to inability of those farms to export to places that ban GMO crops).

Evolution of superweeds/superpests that are resistant to control measures.

Lowering of biodiversity (endangering crops by making them more susceptible to above).

Patents lead to large licensing costs - making seeds much more expensive.
I see issues #3 (evolution of superweeds/superpests resistant to existing mitigation techniques) and #4 as the most real. 1 & 2 are entirely manageable, #3 seems anti science in a sense (we created a super food, but can't figure out how to handle a superweed that we don't know whether it will actually materialize or not). #4 is speculative too but one I'd be worried about as a non-scientist, but we've altered biodiversity a million ways and continue to do so, aren't "we" (humans) part of this ecosystem and our behavior part of this dynamic model? If so, then not an issue that should stop feeding poor people throughout the world. #5 is very manageable.

Appreciate it, have seen some of these arguments. But do they outweight the ability to, for example, extend the average age in Ghana by 10 years or reduce the infant mortality rate by some meaningful % across the LDC universe? This may be one of those "check our morality at the border" issues like human rights globally but we need to reduce trade and keep jobs here no matter what.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm I would encourage folks to check in general chatter about the 3D printed house. This technology, 3D printing, has the potential to be a Kondriatiev wave level innovation for all of society IMO.

Conceptually similar innovation, this may bleed into other thread topics, but what is the argument against GMOs? Particularly when I've read we can create superfoods such as tomatoes which provide a full days nutrients for a person. If it's the "unkown" of science, that doesn't seem very "progressive" to me. Strikes me, raw meat for the hardcore right, that it's an anachronistic concept on the left which has some abtract devotion to food coming from the ground regardless of net contribution to humankind. But there's a few scientists poking around here, so maybe they can enlighten me on some risk or downside I am not aware of.

Concentration of corporate power - rapid consolidation of seed industry for crops, in particular.

Contamination of non-GMO crops (pollination from GMO crops modifying non-GMO crops
(this also leads to inability of those farms to export to places that ban GMO crops).

Lowering of biodiversity (endangering crops by making them more susceptible to above).

I see issues #3 (evolution of superweeds/superpests resistant to existing mitigation techniques) and #4 as the most real. 1 & 2 are entirely manageable, #3 seems anti science in a sense (we created a super food, but can't figure out how to handle a superweed that we don't know whether it will actually materialize or not). #4 is speculative too but one I'd be worried about as a non-scientist, but we've altered biodiversity a million ways and continue to do so, aren't "we" (humans) part of this ecosystem and our behavior part of this dynamic model? If so, then not an issue that should stop feeding poor people throughout the world. #5 is very manageable.

Appreciate it, have seen some of these arguments. But do they outweight the ability to, for example, extend the average age in Ghana by 10 years or reduce the infant mortality rate by some meaningful % across the LDC universe? This may be one of those "check our morality at the border" issues like human rights globally but we need to reduce trade and keep jobs here no matter what.
Superweeds at least already exist from use of GMO crops, if I remember correctly. So it is not speculative.

#4 is a huge problem that already exists within farm crops - we engineer for highest yield, and lose some of the more important traits concerning resistance and survivalibility. That is why you have the seed vault above the Arctic Circle. Some of the more recent crop research has been to breed back into certain crops some of the resistance lost in the original yield revolution to make some of the more important food crops better able to handle the evolution of pests/weeds.

I like to compare the importance of biodiversity to the reason why you should not discriminate in education and hiring by race, religion, etc. If you have more options to use, you are better off...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I need to learn a little more on the topic. Still think if we can feed a whole country this way we should be doing it but maybe I don’t understand the costs well enough.

Remember reading an interesting book by a guy named Alfred Crosby, maybe a 200-300 level history class, that discusses how we altered North American disease, crops and everything else by simply walking with boots that had been on European soil and brining those farm animals over.

-Just looked it up, called Ecological Imperialism. If you are into this topic perhaps it would be a good read for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecologi ... ism_(book)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 pm I like to compare the importance of biodiversity to the reason why you should not discriminate in education and hiring by race, religion, etc. If you have more options to use, you are better off...
What a great quote Red....tip of the cap on that one.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:03 pm I need to learn a little more on the topic. Still think if we can feed a whole country this way we should be doing it but maybe I don’t understand the costs well enough.

Remember reading an interesting book by a guy named Alfred Crosby, maybe a 200-300 level history class, that discusses how we altered North American disease, crops and everything else by simply walking with boots that had been on European soil and brining those farm animals over.

-Just looked it up, called Ecological Imperialism. If you are into this topic perhaps it would be a good read for you.

Great documentary Biggest Little Farm....all about creating a sustainable farm from a pile of dirt.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:37 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 pm I like to compare the importance of biodiversity to the reason why you should not discriminate in education and hiring by race, religion, etc. If you have more options to use, you are better off...
Life is all about collecting as many free and cheap options as possible. The payoff skew (-100% vs. infinity upside) is worth it, not just in finance but softer, life terms as well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:03 pm I need to learn a little more on the topic. Still think if we can feed a whole country this way we should be doing it but maybe I don’t understand the costs well enough.

Great documentary Biggest Little Farm....all about creating a sustainable farm from a pile of dirt.
There's this lady out in Berkeley, went to her restaurant twice, I guess she runs Oakland school food now, Alice Waters (I think), joint was called Chez Panisse. Guess this woman has been at the front of sustainable and farm to table movement since before it was a movement. Food was good, priced such that I'm not going if I can't expense it, but good.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

I am amazed at how much packaging has changed -

We have gotten recently gotten some assemble_yourself items - chest of drawers, shelving....the technology applied in, not only the design, but the packaging was mind blowing.

No clue how it's done, but it's mind blowing to me how advanced the manufactoring and shipping processes has become.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Life is all about collecting as many free and cheap options as possible. The payoff skew (-100% vs. infinity upside) is worth it, not just in finance but softer, life terms as well.
You betchya, brotha.
:lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:55 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:46 pm
You betchya, brotha.
:lol:
Stop it, you are making TLD cringe. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

The real issues with GMOs are that they employ a “natural” process, genetic variation, but at unprecedented speed and breadth of adoption. The risks of unintended consequences are high because no business model allows for sufficient consideration of distal outcomes.

You can win “fast and big”, but you can also lose the same way (see ubiquitous environmental contamination of PFOAs).

Or, too put it simply, people are too venal and stupid to consider the downside risks. GMOs are like driving a car at 300 mph —great idea until something goes awry,
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 am

The real issues with GMOs are that they employ a “natural” process, genetic variation, but at unprecedented speed and breadth of adoption. The risks of unintended consequences are high because no business model allows for sufficient consideration of distal outcomes.

You can win “fast and big”, but you can also lose the same way (see ubiquitous environmental contamination of PFOAs).

Or, too put it simply, people are too venal and stupid to consider the downside risks. GMOs are like driving a car at 300 mph —great idea until something goes awry,
And this is why it is hard leave this place.....nuggets like this conversation.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2011/369573/

I am still reading the sixth extinction. We can be very cavalier about plants and the role they play in nature. Unintended consequences is a very big risk. A lot of things dying at what is believed to be an unprecedented rate.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks this is a helpful answer for me (to a degree at least being a non scientific mind). But this answer has me wondering why we don’t apply similar train of thought in other aspects.

But I do understand, if only because I’ve been slightly obsessed w Nassim Taleb for like 15yrs and via his book Antifragile that there are limitations to hormesis at the point of long term damage idle destruction, whether in an individual or society (should be able to gather by now that I believer stressors to any organism or system is a critical component which drives my antipathy for folks not honestly sharing the potential downside costs for various actions within a social construct like a society or government).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This entire section could be applied to the venture capital universe these days as well...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Indeed, it is a great little documentary
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

tech37 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 pm

You give me a pile of dirt and I will give you a bushel basket of tomatoes. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:11 am

Right. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend. You of all people on here would appreciate it.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

tomatoes.....nerd :D

100 sq. feet usually yields about 10 pounds

(my list of learned is to find out how the SOIL in the Amazon basen was made. terra preta
talk about innovation. monsanto squashes it ;)

GOT THaT GREEN ON yet !!.......Chatham Bars is have an all day buffet ;) Cod n Cabbage. Happy St. Paddys day.

https://bigbudsmag.com/supporting-plant ... a-gardens/
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:10 am

tomatoes.....nerd :D

100 sq. feet usually yields about 10 pounds

(my list of learned is to find out how the SOIL in the Amazon basen was made. terra preta
talk about innovation. monsanto squashes it ;)

GOT THaT GREEN ON yet !!.......Chatham Bars is have an all day buffet ;) Cod n Cabbage. Happy St. Paddys day.

https://bigbudsmag.com/supporting-plant ... a-gardens/
Nobody clarified how big the pile of soil was. Dumbass that you are. Why don't you go smoke a blunt?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”