Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by wgdsr »

lindley saved their bacon.

both defenses were good, but anemic offenses making mistakes certainly helped. sarly season defenses ahead of offense?

tbd.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Hounds did not play with a lot of urgency on offense until the fourth quarter. Great last quarter but the rest of the game was a snoozefest on offense.

Both teams showed how good they can be on defense though. McNulty and Menges really stood out.

Early play this year has been a little ugly for most teams.
socalref

Post by socalref »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 pm Early play this year has been a little ugly for most teams.
I think the lack of real fall ball, preseason tune up games, and the guys ability to mix socially away from practice is going keep teams from jelling as smoothly as other years. Especially for the newer members of the squads.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

socalref wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm
Henpecked wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 pm Early play this year has been a little ugly for most teams.
I think the lack of real fall ball, preseason tune up games, and the guys ability to mix socially away from practice is going keep teams from jelling as smoothly as other years. Especially for the newer members of the squads.
This was a gritty win! The defense was really solid sans a few mistakes...

The effort in the middle of the field and on ground balls was solid (have not seen then stats yet)

The offense was bad...but I don't feel the same as last year...this is different...this team has not practiced very much together and they have had tons of guys out for various reasons...some guys have been away from the team for multiple days not practicing...and just got cleared in the last 48 hours...the lack of practice time together is nobody's fault this year...but they will get better...

Got key 4th qtr goals from Kamish late and then Lindley (multiples)...Kevin did what we needed him to do...be a finisher...

Aiden, Lindley, and Swindel need to be point monsters...they struggled in the first half...but they will be better...

Turnovers were bad...sloppy and many were just unforced...that needs to be fixed...

But the Hounds got off a bus, played gritty, didn't quit, and beat a very good Richmond team...bus ride him either will be great

Congrats Hounds! A win is a win...especially in this crazy year...they will get better
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:57 pm lindley saved their bacon.

both defenses were good, but anemic offenses making mistakes certainly helped. sarly season defenses ahead of offense?

tbd.
Anemic offense, is the same offense that we had last year. Van arsdale needs to become creative and use his players better. It is easy to be an offensive genius with Spencer.

Middies need to dodge and create for the attack.

I worry about uva. They looked awesome offensively even with out fall ball.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm

tbd.
Anemic offense, is the same offense that we had last year. Van arsdale needs to become creative and use his players better. It is easy to be an offensive genius with Spencer.

Still,
the senior Lindsey with the final key three final
goals (well senior, junior eligibility) - there’s an
answer there, the seniors can/will take over when
needed.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:14 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm

tbd.

Still,
the senior Lindsey with the final key three final
goals (well senior, junior eligibility) - there’s an
answer there, the seniors can/will take over when
needed.
Agreed about the senior leadership.

And in terms of new blood, I was really impressed with freshman middie #24 Seth Higgins. He had some good hussle plays, and seemed to have a lot of poise for a freshman.

It terms of players I expected to see on the field, but didn't - no Dan Wigley or Corey Millhouse.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I'll go with what Laxfan1969 said. I'll add ... First win of the season. Hounds are 1-0. First OT win of the season. First road win. First win since Rutgers game last year. First win with about only 30 players suited up from what I could see on TV, which means I saw a lot of players in street clothes. First win without any preseason scrimmages. First win against a former Loyola Assistant Coach (and great person and coach). First win without significant practice time for many younger players.

Having said all of that... Does anyone else have the confidence I have in Savio when we are only down one or 2? He just gets the ball. We score. He does it again. We score. He does it again. We win.

I gotta say that Richmond defense looked really good and made our offense look bad. And that is true. Our defense and goalie was just a tad better.

And Lindley. Yeah. Shut him down most of the game, like the first 3 quarters, and BAM! That last shot. I know he practices that shot. :D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:35 pm I gotta say that Richmond defense looked really good and made our offense look bad. And that is true.
I hope that's true. I enjoy when Loyola plays well.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

No neither of the defenses were good. Period. It should be a “what not to do” tape review instead of a what we did good review.

I have no idea what game the scorekeeper was watching when the announcer, late in the third or early in the fourth announced the forced versus unforced turnover stats.

Too many penalties. And many more could of been called. Clearing was an adventure all day. Defense was defined by Poor positioning, poor technique and no method to their slides. The effort was there. The motivation was clear. They were bailed out by even poorer offensive execution.

The offenses took poor shots, when they took them. I got the impression each offensive player was waiting for someone else to “be the man”.

All that said, both teams are probably better than how they played. However, neither team can look to this game and say they can compete with the ACC. As teams disappear into their conference schedule, both teams will look back at this game as a missed opportunity to make a statement. I am not saying they didn’t know this going into this game. I am sure they did. It is unfortunate though it looked like a scrimmage.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:05 pm No neither of the defenses were good. Period. It should be a “what not to do” tape review instead of a what we did good review.

I have no idea what game the scorekeeper was watching when the announcer, late in the third or early in the fourth announced the forced versus unforced turnover stats.

Too many penalties. And many more could of been called. Clearing was an adventure all day. Defense was defined by Poor positioning, poor technique and no method to their slides. The effort was there. The motivation was clear. They were bailed out by even poorer offensive execution.

The offenses took poor shots, when they took them. I got the impression each offensive player was waiting for someone else to “be the man”.

All that said, both teams are probably better than how they played. However, neither team can look to this game and say they can compete with the ACC. As teams disappear into their conference schedule, both teams will look back at this game as a missed opportunity to make a statement. I am not saying they didn’t know this going into this game. I am sure they did. It is unfortunate though it looked like a scrimmage.
For the un-inititiated, and for those who havent played the sport, can you elaborate to the miscues you saw? I see your posts on the Navy board, i believe youre an alum of their program, so im curious as to what you saw during todays game.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:05 pm It is unfortunate though it looked like a scrimmage.
It was supposed to be a scrimmage. Until both coaches agreed to make it a game in light of the Covid situation.

And for all intents and purposes- it was. It was the first time out in almost a year for both squads. Both with lots of kids missing and banged up.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Okay! i have my notes typed up:

This was not a pretty game, I think we can agree on that. Offense wasn’t clean at all, but FO’s and Goalie/Defense kept us in the game with their caused turnovers and Shaffer being a wall.

Offense:
For the first 5 minutes of the game, I felt a lot of optimism for the offense because they scored 2 goals off of dodges, with good spacing and decent shot placement. Then the rest of the game occurred, and it reminded me of the offense from last year. Some people tried to do too much, and there seemed to be a lack of “who wants to beat their man and draw the slide”. Q3 was very very painful to watch with all the miscues, and especially the unforced turnovers, I think I lost count with how many errant passes just sailed out of bounds. It wasn’t even on a set play, it was just a pass from one guy to another In the offensive zone.
Personally, I believe Olmstead is talented, and he’s wickedly fast, but he looks more to score than to draw slides and pass off to the open guys. How many times did he attempt that dodge from X to that one handed wrap around goal? How many times did that succeed? But look what happened when he dodged from behind and then passed to Lindley for the goal? The midfielders attacking from up top today were okay, but for a team that “shares the ball to create the right look” there wasn't much success. I commend them though for trying to make something happen.

Something I remembered was that Toomey stated that this is the most amount of lefties they’ve had on offense the last couple years due to COVID and injuries and what not. I saw a lot of lefties today on offense with I think only Kamish and Swindell as being the two handed guys.
I think the offense needs to gel again and find cutters off the bubbles in the spaces between defenders.

I chalk this offensive performance to this being the first game in a LONG time, with the team having limited full field practice. They'll get better, im sure of it

Defense: These guys are tenacious and really aggressive. I might not know about slide packages or positioning but the effort these guys gave on ground balls and bodying up their matchups is really commendable. Wyers and Mcnulty were GB machines today. Matt Hughes carries a boom stick and layed some of the inside guys out for Richmond. I think Defense will once again be a strength with the rope unit being the guys who draw the line.

Faceoffs- bailey Bailey Bailey. Kids a wizard with the new rules.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:05 pm It is unfortunate though it looked like a scrimmage.
It was supposed to be a scrimmage. Until both coaches agreed to make it a game in light of the Covid situation.

And for all intents and purposes- it was. It was the first time out in almost a year for both squads. Both with lots of kids missing and banged up.
Exactly!

Both defenses played well. Did they make mistakes? Yes. BTW, it is mid-February.

It was great to see lacrosse again.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Perfect post! Thank you Kramerica for some perspective...

Look, we struggled on offense (some really sloppy turnovers)...no doubt...but if people knew what's been going on behind the gate at Ridley this year, they'd get why they watched what they watched today...the top 6 guys on offense have barely practiced together...one guy just got cleared to play on Friday and had practiced 1 day in the last two weeks...and he scored a 4th qtr goal that was needed...we were rusty...and sure we need to be better...but have some perspective on what's going on this year...not easy on these athletes...

It's WAY to early to bang on this team with heavy critical analysis right now....in a few weeks...sure, check back before the Patriot opener at Lehigh for analytical breakdowns...and if we're still looking rough, that's the time to sound the alarms...but right now this team is just trying to get on the field with the right guys so they can "start" to practice as a unit...

So today they leaned on strong play in the middle of the field, good defense, and probably some help that Richmond was also rusty too...and guys absolutely need to get better, play better...but knowing how little these guys have practiced and played togther...they get a few more weeks before I start to analyze and criticize

UVA will be an issue next week, not many teams if any will be able to beat UVA, Duke, UNC, or MD this year...they are just next level... but this team will keep getting better, they will compete, and hopefully get healthy...by the Utah game, baring a covid set back, this team should be rounding into shape on offense and the back end will be tough...I'd be very disappointed if we didn't beat Utah...but then again, we won't know who will be available to play that weekend...that's the new variable this year...everyone will deal with it...but it's a factor...

I'm surprised we won today...good for the kids and good for the staff...and this year is different...every week you get to play a game is a good week IMO...kids jumped on a bus this morning, went down and got a W and headed back...

Cheers for a healthier week ahead and more practice time...this team will get better IMO
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

And it’s important to mention- That was a real sweet lefty finish for the win!!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Lindley Scores Game’s Last Three, Including OT Winner, To Help MLAX Past #20 Richmond

RICHMOND, Va. – Kevin Lindley had not found the goal on his first three shots Sunday afternoon at No. 20 University of Richmond, but his last three goals met the net, including a quick-release shot from more than five yards out just over a minute into overtime, giving No. 10 Loyola University Maryland an 8-7 win on the road.

The Greyhounds (1-0 overall) trailed 7-4 when Mitch Savoca scored unassisted for the Spiders (0-1) with 4:02 left in regulation, but Lindley scored his first of the day at 3:18 when Aidan Olmstead created on the left side and threaded a pass to Lindley on the right side in front of the crease where he delivered a goal.

Bailey Savio won the ensuing faceoff for Loyola, and the Greyhounds got two shots off, but the second was saved by Richmond’s Jack Rusbuldt. Richmond cleared successfully and worked more than a minute off the clock before a shot by the Spiders’ Tyler Shoults was blocked.

Greyhounds goalkeeper Sam Shafer came up with the groundball and sent a pass to Matt Higgins on the left sideline.

Higgins transitioned the ball to the offensive end himself, got to the top of the box and threw to Lindley cutting toward the goal. Lindley caught and scored his second of the afternoon with 66 seconds remaining in regulation, knotting the game for the first time since it was 2-2 in the second quarter.

Savio came up with the ground ball again on the faceoff after Lindley’s second, and the Greyhounds called a timeout to set up the final minute. Olmstead had a look at the cage with less than five seconds left, but his shot was high, and the teams settled into overtime.

For the fourth-straight time, Savio won the faceoff – he finished the day 10 of 17 with five ground balls – and Loyola set up offensively.

After a Riley Cox shot went wide, the Greyhounds worked the ball right to left around the top. Evan James had it wide left, created space and threw to Lindley in the middle. Though covered, Lindley snapped off a sidearm shot using his defender as a screen, and the ball found the top-right corner of the net 1:01 into overtime for the winner.

In addition to Lindley’s three goals, Riley Seay scored twice, and Liam Bateman, Joey Kamish and Olmstead each had one. Olmstead also had two assists, while Matt Higgins, Seth Higgins and James each had one.

Loyola opened with a 2-1 lead in the first quarter as Seay scored his first goal in a Loyola uniform 2:37 into the game, stepping down for a long bouncer. After Richmond evened it at 1-1 five minutes later, Bateman caught a pass from behind and had a shot saved by Rusbuldt. The rebound fell right back to the Loyola junior, however, and he dumped in the second attempt to put the Greyhounds in front with 6:20 left in the frame.

The Spiders, however, went on extra-man to start the second quarter after a late Loyola offsides, and Ryan Lanchbury found Richie Connell on the crease for a goal 12 seconds into the quarter.

Just over 10 minutes later, Tyler Shoults made it 3-2 Richmond with an unassisted goal, and Ryan Dunn scored with 4:07 to go in the half to make it 4-2 Spiders at the break.

Luke Grayum scored 45 seconds into the second half on a Spiders extra-man opportunity, and the lead extended to three, but Seay scored his second, this time off a Seth Higgins assist as Higgins rolled back to his right and found Seay with room to shoot.

The Seay goal at 7:28 snapped a scoreless streak of 28-minutes, 42-seconds for the Greyhounds.

Olmstead got Loyola within a goal with the first goal of the fourth quarter, racing from X to beat his man and scored at 9:47.

Grayum, however, had the answer for Richmond as the Spiders went back up by two, 6-4, when he scored from Lanchbury.

Joey Kamish tallied his first of the game with 4:27 remaining on Olmstead’s first assist of the day to get Loyola back within a goal before Savoca’s goal came 25 ticks later.

The Greyhounds held a 36-32 advantage in shots and a slim 28-26 margin in ground balls. Shafer made 10 saves in goal for the Greyhounds, who yielded only five six-on-six goals.

Ryan McNulty and Savio each had five ground balls, while Shafer and Cam Wyers had three each. Matt Hughes caused three turnovers, while McNulty and Lindley each caused two.

The Greyhounds will open their home schedule on Saturday, February 20, when they host the University of Virginia at 5 p.m.
Caddy Day
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Having watched this kid for a couple years- Its not just his faceoff percent. It's WHEN he wins faceoffs that makes Savio the best faceoff man in the nation.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Was Davis Lindsey hurt?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”