Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chitown

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Chitown »

Mr. Pietramala is "thinking" Ohio State and Michigan, etc. Good luck with that :P
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Chitown wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:22 pm Mr. Pietramala is "thinking" Ohio State and Michigan, etc. Good luck with that :P
Michigan has had a program for almost a decade and done absolutely nothing. It wasn't cheap to set that up which is why a lot of schools haven't done it. He'd bring instant credibility and buzz to the program. They've been bold before w/howard at hoops and are flush w/cash.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:31 pm
Chitown wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:22 pm Mr. Pietramala is "thinking" Ohio State and Michigan, etc. Good luck with that :P
Michigan has had a program for almost a decade and done absolutely nothing. It wasn't cheap to set that up which is why a lot of schools haven't done it. He'd bring instant credibility and buzz to the program. They've been bold before w/howard at hoops and are flush w/cash.
How long has the UM coach been there?
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

Just a couple of years. When they went DI, they kept the former club coach for a couple of years. He is still involved with the program on some level.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

VMI?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Michigan coach Conry was hired after the 2017 season... in 2018, gave Yale a good game and beat Notre Dame. Conference record of 1-4 in both 2018 and 2019, beating PSU in 2018 and OSU in 2019.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think Conry is in imminent danger but if they go another few years without much success in the conference, I do think they could move on and try someone else. The problem is, by that point, who knows what Petro will be doing or whether or not he'll still be on the radar. A few years is a long time in the coaching business.

He might have to lower his asking price if he's going to coach D1 again. It's unlikely most schools will be able to pay him what he was making by the end of his tenure at Hopkins.

If someone like Chemotti, Casseese, Torpey, Wray, Nadelen, Feifs, Polley, etc. gets a new job, Petro could be a candidate to fill in where they left from. But the clock is already ticking.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:23 pm I don't think Conry is in imminent danger but if they go another few years without much success in the conference, I do think they could move on and try someone else. The problem is, by that point, who knows what Petro will be doing or whether or not he'll still be on the radar. A few years is a long time in the coaching business.

He might have to lower his asking price if he's going to coach D1 again. It's unlikely most schools will be able to pay him what he was making by the end of his tenure at Hopkins.
I’ve always wondered what kind of scratch was Petro bringing in? I’ve heard Starsia was in the mid 300 range but no idea how accurate that was.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:07 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:23 pm I don't think Conry is in imminent danger but if they go another few years without much success in the conference, I do think they could move on and try someone else. The problem is, by that point, who knows what Petro will be doing or whether or not he'll still be on the radar. A few years is a long time in the coaching business.

I’ve always wondered what kind of scratch was Petro bringing in? I’ve heard Starsia was in the mid 300 range but no idea how accurate that was.
Not sure but he was there for 20 years, won two championships, was given multiple contract extensions...by the time he left I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to that number. Just don't think the majority of schools are willing to pony up that much for a lacrosse coach. The few programs that might offer that much are probably not the ones that will have the head coach openings.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

michigan raised $5 million to start the program plus the stadium was part of $168 million facilities upgrade and they can't get out of last place. If they can't do it this year w/us rebuilding I'm not sure the pt of letting conry find his way.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Depending on the source, Tillman is making >$400k at Maryland. Hard to believe that Petro was making much less.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017 ... where.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/ ... hecks.html
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:48 pm michigan raised $5 million to start the program plus the stadium was part of $168 million facilities upgrade and they can't get out of last place. If they can't do it this year w/us rebuilding I'm not sure the pt of letting conry find his way.
not sure if we agree often, but yeah. what's their record in the b1g?

flip side, i'm not seeing ann arbor to chapel hill commutes. i'd be semi-surprised if he picks up anywhere college soon.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:48 pm michigan raised $5 million to start the program plus the stadium was part of $168 million facilities upgrade and they can't get out of last place. If they can't do it this year w/us rebuilding I'm not sure the pt of letting conry find his way.
Because it’s just lacrosse. Harbaugh is still there and that is big time football. So long as the kids stay out of trouble, Conry has runway.
“I wish you would!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:45 pm Because it’s just lacrosse. Harbaugh is still there and that is big time football. So long as the kids stay out of trouble, Conry has runway.
+1 +more than one
'06 the only thing D1 college lacrosse has in common with D1 college football is that at some schools the games are periodically played on the same field of grass or fake grass - that's about it. Why you think anybody at Johns Hopkins should behave like the AD/President or whomever at an SEC school consumed with how to protect 10s of millions of dollars is quite - IMO - absurd. If you're doing this solely to get a charge out of folks to see what they say in response - well you got me - but you say it so often I am believing you actually think this is an issue. TLD tried to put it very nicely - but here's the shorter more accurate response to all your questions and musings: NO ONE CARES. You think too big - for example - your comment that Hopkins' home games (put on ESPN U or 3 and then taped delayed on U) gives BIG programs "national exposure" is pretty laughable. How many people do you think will specifically log on to their computer or smart TV and watch Hopkins/Ohio State? And then how many are going to watch the tape delay of that game on Sunday or whenever as it gets delayed by the WhatsAMatta U - Little Sisters of the Poor basketball game that goes into double overtime? Here's a clue - on the following Monday don't look for it to show up in the cable version of the Nielson ratings.

I hope the young men get to play - they put in alot of hard work to be a D1 athlete at that particular school and it would really suck for them and the coaches if they don't get to execute on the field. Expectations - however - should be pretty low - it's not even clear that all 56 characters have been on the field at the same time - COVID will almost assuredly raise its ugly head with respect to the season - and the schedule has no easy outs (karma says all this discussion around Petro/Conroy means Hopkins X Michigan X+1 at least once). Hopefully, they show some light at the end of the tunnel and kids think it would be fun to play for those coaches.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:14 am

'06 the only thing D1 college lacrosse has in common with D1 college football is that at some schools the games are periodically played on the same field of grass or fake grass - that's about it. Why you think anybody at Johns Hopkins should behave like the AD/President or whomever at an SEC school consumed with how to protect 10s of millions of dollars is quite - IMO - absurd. I

your comment that Hopkins' home games (put on ESPN U or 3 and then taped delayed on U) gives BIG programs "national exposure" is pretty laughable. How many people do you think will specifically log on to their computer or smart TV and watch Hopkins/Ohio State?
Huge agree here. I have never understood why he's so caught up on SEC football with respect to JHU and Big Ten lacrosse. It has almost nothing in common with lacrosse in any conference or on any level (including the pros). There is probably more money flying around in that one single conference for football than there is at every college lacrosse program combined.

Our ESPN deal gives us the potential to have eyeballs on our program in a way that few other programs have, but that's really all it gives us - that potential. To think that millions of people are going out of the way to watch our games is a fantasy. It gives our alumni and fans of the sport an easy and consistent way to access our games and the potential for those uninitiated to the game of lacrosse to stumble upon it if they happen to be channel flipping... but that's pretty much the extent of our audience. The ESPN deal is definitely a positive for Hopkins, but don't oversell it or act like we're in any way even in the same universe as SEC football or ACC basketball (or choose your preferred conference).
Last edited by jhu08 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Been enjoying the Hop social media game lately. Looks like they've got a Phantom now and that makes for some instantly great content. Can't believe we've been without Koesterer's energy for so long! The coaching staff bios, when you look at them all together, sure are a potpourri of 'outsiders'. It's interesting, and I'm really wondering how the team culture has changed.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Not to "put down" lacrosse. Just reality. It is a minor non-revenue producing sport.

I just love lacrosse. I loved playing. I enjoyed coaching. And I love watching games.

But I live in the Midwest. Reality: women's volleyball gets more attention and crowds, and is way-more popular than lacrosse. It is just a fact.

As far as Mr. Pietramala, I don't wish him ill. But if it took 30 years to realize that you need to delegate to your assistants, that early recruiting is silly and illogical, and that if you have hopes to coach a "big-time" program again, then you have lost touch with reality. :roll: There are lots of younger more successful (over the last 10 years) coaches than you. You would be a risky choice for an up-and-coming program. Michigan spent money on Football and Basketball Coaches that are Michigan alums.

You are in the Twilight of you lacrosse career, Become a talking Head or get involved in professional lacrosse, or touting lacrosse equipment. That is more realistic. ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not finding it here: https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/live
Nor here: https://hopkinssports.com/sidearmstats/mlax/summary

Maybe it is not really lacrosse weather.
Last edited by 44WeWantMore on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:10 pm Not finding it here: https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/live
Not finding what? Our game is next Saturday, the 20th.

Alex Concannon starting on attack for Hofstra today, has already scored a goal. Wearing another brace on his knee. Hope he's able to stay healthy for them.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thank you. With all the talk about the lockdown early in the week jeopardizing the game, I did not look at the date closely enough.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”