Big Ten 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxfan#1969

Re: Big Ten 2021

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:02 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:32 pm With Bernhardt now officially back, how do you all see the league stacking up? Likely a mid-Feb start with limited out-of-conference games and a 2x round-robin league slate of games followed by the B1G tournament.

Terps, Bucks, Nitts, Knights, Wolves, and Jays.

Even with OSU bringing back so much, Bernhardt's returns with Brown and Holden joining that offense widens the gap between MD and OSU, IMO.
Feel like it’s almost impossible to predict an order of finish because who knows with how the schedule works out and if games get moved or even PPD because of COVID; but here’s how I’d just rank the teams in terms of best-to-last

1. Maryland
2. Penn State
3. Ohio State
4A. Hop
4B. Rutgers
6. Michigan

Maryland’s p clear out in front and then Penn State and Ohio State are both in that back end top 10/just outside Top 10 range. Both should be tournament teams or would be in a normal year; who knows how the tournament works itself out. Couple months ago and I’d have had Hop 4th, Rutgers 5th. Both had great off seasons; and Connor Kirst might be a Top 3 player in the league. I like Hop’s balance a bit more but having sat on it it’s just so hard to project how they’ll do with a new coach and all the craziness of the offseason and trying to fit that together. So they’re both in the same tier. Michigan brings up the rear. I like their group a lot; it’s super talented and on their best day they can play with anyone. But the consistency hasn’t quite been there the last couple years. If they find that they can be a real threat.
I agree pretty much with everything you note here...the one area your torn on is RU and Hop...I know you have them as a tie essentially or a pick em...and that's probably what they are, but Rutgers quietly added some really great help in positions of need...Kirtst on the offensive midfield immediately helps them and makes others on that offense better...and adding help at the FOGO position was critical...RU really struggled at the face off x in critical games last year and the year before...if they can just get some form of material improvement there getting them closer to 50% I think they become a very solid team...

Hop is a big question mark because of all your point out...they could be great...but history tells us it will take a year for all the changes to take hold...but who really knows...

Today I'd go with this:

1. Maryland
2. PSU
3A. OSU
3B. Rutgers
5. Hopkins
6. Michigan

But that's just a guess...frankly after 1 and 2...I think it's a toss up...but that's just me

Cheers!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Connor Kirst helping lead Rutgers to their first postseason appearance as a Big Ten member would be one of the best stories in years!
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

I have RU as a dark horse this year. I really like the collection of offensive players they have and brining in a transfer at the X can only be an improvement. I think a starting line up of:

Att- Mullins, Charlambides, Scott
Mid- 1st Kirst, Sprock, Gallager 2nd Kammish, Coyne, Kim(s)

or bumping gallagher up to att and either Kammish or probably Coyne to the 1st

I think Scott is the key, if he can produce and occupy a pole allowing Sprock and Gallagher SS's there could be a lot of goals put up by the knights. Kirst is a nightmare and will demand so much attention and there aren't too many teams with talents like Kammish and Coyne on the second line.

It can't get any worse that last year facing off and if they tighten up the D a little I can see this team finally doing well for a full consistent season in the B1G. There are still a couple pieces from the '17 team that reached #1 with a great start then missed the conf tourney and they will be hungry.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

shaadb-man wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:56 am I have RU as a dark horse this year. I really like the collection of offensive players they have and brining in a transfer at the X can only be an improvement. I think a starting line up of:

Att- Mullins, Charlambides, Scott
Mid- 1st Kirst, Sprock, Gallager 2nd Kammish, Coyne, Kim(s)

or bumping gallagher up to att and either Kammish or probably Coyne to the 1st

I think Scott is the key, if he can produce and occupy a pole allowing Sprock and Gallagher SS's there could be a lot of goals put up by the knights. Kirst is a nightmare and will demand so much attention and there aren't too many teams with talents like Kammish and Coyne on the second line.

It can't get any worse that last year facing off and if they tighten up the D a little I can see this team finally doing well for a full consistent season in the B1G. There are still a couple pieces from the '17 team that reached #1 with a great start then missed the conf tourney and they will be hungry.
The addition of Kirst on offense is a force multiplier IMO

Add in upgraded play at the FO-X...and that really compliments what RU already had in place...

I think when looking at offensive midfield, it's really Kirst, Sprock, Coyne, Gallagher as the four main pieces with one or two others sprinkled in...of course it depends on who the third attack is...(Scott or Gallagher)

As far a Kamish, he was looking very good and was the second leading point man at the midfield for RU last year running as a combo/SSDM guy...I see him being used as the transition guy, unsettled offense ace and he's gonna be used all over the field...he won't be listed as an offensive line player...but will be on the field logging tons of minutes, and hopefully points...he's too good of an athlete to not be on the field...but his role will start on the defensive end

We will see...hopefully we get moving here for all teams sake, and we can get through a season...I think after MD and PSU, the league is wide open...gonna be some great games if they're playing a 10 game big ten schedule...
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So Boston College ladies team released their schedule and they are playing Northwestern. It had been rumored the women’s Big Ten would only play conference. I see as a good sign for the men’s schedule for out of conference play
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:28 pm So Boston College ladies team released their schedule and they are playing Northwestern. It had been rumored the women’s Big Ten would only play conference. I see as a good sign for the men’s schedule for out of conference play
That's a positive...

I think most Big Ten teams will "try" to have at least a couple non cons games...but the difficulty remains with the big ten policy being beyond strict for the athletes...far more stringent than any other conference...

Bottom line...hopefully by the time we get to late Jan, early Feb, each big ten team has a couple non conference games to go along with the 10 game conference slate...plus the B1G Tournament

Based on what I'm hearing, teams are gonna try to get other games scheduled...it's all coming down to protocols at this point
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

So most of you think Michigan will finish last again?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:41 pm So most of you think Michigan will finish last again?
Someone has to.

I've acknowledged Hopkins could finish last too—the range of outcomes for the Blue Jays is pretty big IMO. New staff trying to instill their culture and develop a new system without an offseason? As far as I know they still haven't met a lot of the players in person yet. It'd be a lot to ask of them to be super competitive in the conference this year—but it's a good staff, and there is talent to work with, so who really knows. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finish anywhere between 2 and 6.

Penn State without Ament is also a little bit of a wild card. I think the team they'll have in 2021 is better than the one they had the year Ament was injured but there's no denying that they just weren't the same with him out of the lineup.

Rutgers should be improved—again, their fans seem quite optimistic—but they've consistently been one of the weaker teams in the conference and I'm not sure if Kirst changes things THAT much to the point where they can't still finish last. Offense has not really been the issue for them recently. The FOGO transfer could help but he was 55% at St. John's—pretty good but we'll see how he does against the Big Ten gauntlet of faceoff guys: Arceri, Inacio, Prouty, Shockey, etc.

I think any of those four teams could finish last. I'd be surprised if Ohio State does—they might not win the conference but they're pretty solid, no huge glaring weaknesses. Though curious to see the goalie situation. The kid from Furman they replaced Kirson with has had a solid career but was underwhelming in 2020. Schedule is not going to get any easier.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:41 pm So most of you think Michigan will finish last again?
Feels like the most likely outcome. They’ve got plenty of talent; perhaps it comes together and this is the year they break out but for now they’re kinda in “prove it” mode; we gotta see it. They’ve been too inconsistent the last two years and the Big Ten is a mine pit where inconsistency will kill you.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

This is going to be a weird year - Michigan has plenty of talent but it is mostly very young and they are not particularly deep.

If the B1G protocols remain the same, kids that test positive will likely miss multiple games. That tests depth.

Have heard stories about several teams having a slew of positive tests in the fall - in a weird way, maybe that helps if kids actually have the antibodies and have a lower chance to get in the spring?

If 2020 taught me anything its that I dont know anything - so who the hell knows. I just hope we can safely have lax this spring.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.outkick.com/sec-releases-fo ... -for-2021/

we have a 2021 sec football schedule before a 2021 spring lacrosse schedule for b1g and whether the ivy will play.

Rosemont and Homewood have explaining to do.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Any whisperings, rumors, inside info on the status of Big 10 teams and whether they will release schedules soon, are cleared to play, whatever? I imagine it must be more frustrating for the men as their season has already begun. The ladies don't start for another week.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:57 am Any whisperings, rumors, inside info on the status of Big 10 teams and whether they will release schedules soon, are cleared to play, whatever? I imagine it must be more frustrating for the men as their season has already begun. The ladies don't start for another week.
Release of the schedule is being controlled by the conference. But it is rumored to be released this week. The only school with an issue at the moment is Michigan. The state health department made them take a pause in competition. They supposed to restart on February 7th.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:04 am
Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:57 am Any whisperings, rumors, inside info on the status of Big 10 teams and whether they will release schedules soon, are cleared to play, whatever? I imagine it must be more frustrating for the men as their season has already begun. The ladies don't start for another week.
Release of the schedule is being controlled by the conference. But it is rumored to be released this week. The only school with an issue at the moment is Michigan. The state health department made them take a pause in competition. They supposed to restart on February 7th.
Much obliged, AreaLax
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland release their schedule...sort of

https://umterps.com/news/2021/2/4/mens- ... unced.aspx

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Big Ten officially announced the first half of Maryland's schedule for the 2021 season on Thursday afternoon.

This season, all Big Ten teams will meet twice in the regular season which begins on Saturday, February 20. The first half of the schedule includes the first round of games against each of the other five Big Ten opponents. The second half of the schedule will be released by the conference at a later date. Game times and TV designations will also be released at a later date.

Maryland opens at home vs. Michigan (Feb. 20), then travels to Penn State (Feb. 27), hosts Johns Hopkins (March 6), hosts Rutgers (March 13) and goes to Ohio State (March 20).

The season will begin with no fans in attendance at Maryland athletic events out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our student-athletes and fans. Maryland athletics is hopeful that some fans will be welcomed to on-campus venues as the season progresses and health conditions permit.

The 2021 Big Ten Tournament will include all six conference teams, with the top-2 teams in the standings at the end of the regular season receiving a first round bye. The quarterfinal rounds will be hosted at the No. 3 and No. 4 seeds on Saturday, May 1. The semifinals (May 6) and final (May 8) will be hosted at Penn State.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Michigan back practicing
Hopkins in a COVID pause
MD vs Hopkins women’s game for this weekend postponed
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:19 pm Michigan back practicing
Hopkins in a COVID pause
MD vs Hopkins women’s game for this weekend postponed
this ones on us. sorry.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels

Post by Wheels »

It was fun to think about this. The line between PSU and OSU is pretty thin. Perhaps I weighted Ament's departure too heavily, but as we saw in the PLL, he's such a difference maker.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:42 pm
Someone has to.

I've acknowledged Hopkins could finish last too—the range of outcomes for the Blue Jays is pretty big IMO. New staff trying to instill their culture and develop a new system without an offseason? As far as I know they still haven't met a lot of the players in person yet. It'd be a lot to ask of them to be super competitive in the conference this year—but it's a good staff, and there is talent to work with, so who really knows. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finish anywhere between 2 and 6.

Penn State without Ament is also a little bit of a wild card. I think the team they'll have in 2021 is better than the one they had the year Ament was injured but there's no denying that they just weren't the same with him out of the lineup.

Rutgers should be improved—again, their fans seem quite optimistic—but they've consistently been one of the weaker teams in the conference and I'm not sure if Kirst changes things THAT much to the point where they can't still finish last. Offense has not really been the issue for them recently. The FOGO transfer could help but he was 55% at St. John's—pretty good but we'll see how he does against the Big Ten gauntlet of faceoff guys: Arceri, Inacio, Prouty, Shockey, etc.

I think any of those four teams could finish last. I'd be surprised if Ohio State does—they might not win the conference but they're pretty solid, no huge glaring weaknesses. Though curious to see the goalie situation. The kid from Furman they replaced Kirson with has had a solid career but was underwhelming in 2020. Schedule is not going to get any easier.
Think I’d be more surprised if PSU finished last rather than OSU. Don’t see Tambroni having a truly down year now that he’s got this thing rolling (which took longer than anyone seemed to think it would but he got there).

Basically, could end differently w various permutations but if you just head to head the teams other than UMD where do you find the Mich win? Seems most likely to be Hop or Rutgers but I don’t see that assuming Hop gets their act together quickly and Tinney is 85-90% of his old self (supposedly he wasn’t last year). So hard to not see Mich at the bottom at the moment. The more interesting question may be Rutgers v Hop.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”