Scrimmages coming up

D2 Mens Lacrosse
RedFromMI

Re: Scrimmages coming up

Post by RedFromMI »

Two points - first scrimmages are not always treated as real games by the coaches, and the contests with LR and Stone I am guessing were actual games for the DI teams, and exhibitions for the DII teams (not counting).

Second, how a coach deals with a scrimmage depends a lot on the particular goals - it the purpose to get the starting group a lot of playing time, or is it to see what is further down the bench against good outside teams. So what looks like a blowout may not really be that at all.

Having said that, there is a lot of "extra" talent in DI this year due to the extra class present (those who are using the COVID waiver to get an extra year). So even though JU and Mercer are not anywhere near the top of DI, you might still have enhanced talent with people transferring quite freely in the past several months...
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Yes...good point Red. I always say that when it comes to scrimmages. I do agree the talent pool is pretty deep.
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:02 pm Two points - first scrimmages are not always treated as real games by the coaches, and the contests with LR and Stone I am guessing were actual games for the DI teams, and exhibitions for the DII teams (not counting).

Second, how a coach deals with a scrimmage depends a lot on the particular goals - it the purpose to get the starting group a lot of playing time, or is it to see what is further down the bench against good outside teams. So what looks like a blowout may not really be that at all.

Having said that, there is a lot of "extra" talent in DI this year due to the extra class present (those who are using the COVID waiver to get an extra year). So even though JU and Mercer are not anywhere near the top of DI, you might still have enhanced talent with people transferring quite freely in the past several months...
I agree red and those scrimmages most of the time the younger players play more just to get that experience and coaches evaluate those players. I am just excited we have d2 games almost all week and especially the weekend. There should be some good games!
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Lacrossehead17 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:55 pm
pridelax13 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:43 pm Not sure if it was a scrimmage or not-but LR lost to Mercer 17-4 last on Saturday. Listed as an exhibition on LR's site, but a game on Mercer's. Game was competitive for a half-but Mercer player their starters throughout and LR subbed a lot in the second half. LR was also missing something like 4 starters including 2 starting attackmen (1 being the preseason D2 attackman of the year Eric Dickinson), 1 middie, and 1 close defender. Mercer was still without leading scorer from last year-Sean Goldsmith.

I had hear LR looked impressive in their scrimmage against UMO, but the offense against Mercer was very stagnant and the defense looked very inexperienced.
Were LR starters playing against UMO? and I had heard that some LR missed the Mercer game due to COVID-19
The same starters played against UMO as Mercer. Some of them were out due to COVID-19 related issues-but none of those players are positive or out due to contract tracing. Some were held out with minor injuries as a caution. All should be back for the North Greenville or Belmont Abbey game.
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

I think we should call this discussion now games coming up :D Excited for so much Lacrosse this week

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”