THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by HopFan16 »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 pm Jays were up 5-2 at the half, according to Marquette's Instagram. Haven't seen any updates since. The two teams practiced together before the scrimmage.
I had the final as Jays winning 11-9. A few observations:
I thought the Jays did a much better job managing the shot clock compared to the High Point game
Of the face-off men, I thought Matt Narewski looked the best. Having said that, if you were worried about FO's before, nothing seen today would change your mind
Playing lacrosse in Wisconsin in February is a bad idea - even in a giant bubble
I thought Darby looked excellent in goal - most of goals were point blank, and D was really weak on man-down
Thanks for the info. Any idea who scored the goals on offense? I'm assuming they did the uniform number scrambling again. And no injuries, I hope.

Narewski looking the best on FOs would make it two in a row for the freshman. Sounds like he could emerge as the 1a to Prouty's 1b sooner or later.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 pm Jays were up 5-2 at the half, according to Marquette's Instagram. Haven't seen any updates since. The two teams practiced together before the scrimmage.
I had the final as Jays winning 11-9. A few observations:
I thought the Jays did a much better job managing the shot clock compared to the High Point game
Of the face-off men, I thought Matt Narewski looked the best. Having said that, if you were worried about FO's before, nothing seen today would change your mind
Playing lacrosse in Wisconsin in February is a bad idea - even in a giant bubble
I thought Darby looked excellent in goal - most of goals were point blank, and D was really weak on man-down
Thanks for the info. Any idea who scored the goals on offense? I'm assuming they did the uniform number scrambling again. And no injuries, I hope.

Narewski looking the best on FOs would make it two in a row for the freshman. Sounds like he could emerge as the 1a to Prouty's 1b sooner or later.
I didn't see any Hopkins injuries. And you are right, it is tough to figure out who is who because of the number changes. One thing of note was that some things do not change - Danny Jones absolutely blew up a Marquette player. And the Coach is still not amused by one-minute penalties
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Thoughts on the Tigger Tussle...? :shock:
molo

Post by molo »

I'll miss this one because of a conflict with an engagement at the RAC. Evidently, Towson gave UVA a tough scrimmage yesterday, dominating face-offs. From this weekends games, midfield depth will be especially important this year. Who is Hopkins's third dm? They need to run three. I'm also a little leery of running too many attackmen at midfield. The clock rewards athletes. Has Hopkins added some athletic middies?
After a warm week, we are looking at a high of 34 on Saturday, but it should be clear.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:26 pm I'll miss this one because of a conflict with an engagement at the RAC. Evidently, Towson gave UVA a tough scrimmage yesterday, dominating face-offs. From this weekends games, midfield depth will be especially important this year. Who is Hopkins's third dm? They need to run three. I'm also a little leery of running too many attackmen at midfield. The clock rewards athletes. Has Hopkins added some athletic middies?
After a warm week, we are looking at a high of 34 on Saturday, but it should be clear.
I haven't watched either scrimmage but behind Jones and Hubler at SSDM are:

- Marc Pion, converted from LSM last year after transferring in from Harvard—a former Under Armour All-American who had his first two years wrecked by injury
- Kyle DiPietro, converted from offensive middie last year out of high school, has barely played
- Ryan Coulter, came in with a lot of hype out of Culver but promptly got hurt and has not been a factor at all in his career till this point
- Owen McManus, freshman LSM/D who is now listed as a midfielder on the roster—assuming that means they're trying to turn him into an SSDM

It's definitely a question mark. At least one of those guys has to emerge as a decent option to run out there for a couple shifts per game and not get torched. Pion has the pedigree and now has a little bit of experience playing SSDM in this defense but I don't think anyone would argue they've been blown away by what they've seen thus far. If Coulter were going to be an option you'd think it'd have happened by now but who knows maybe he steps up in his senior season. There are a few guys in the upcoming class that may help with defensive middie depth but obviously that won't matter for 2019.

Heard through the grapevine that Gainey played really well in goal in the second half vs. Marquette. Darby is still going to start but it'd be nice to have a #2 you can rely on if needed.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:26 pm Thoughts on the Tigger Tussle...? :shock:
Yeah, lacrosse shouldn't be played in February.
BlueJaySince1947

I know you're going sarcastic on me but lacrosse has indeed morphed from a warm Springtime sport into a middle of Winter fiasco...
I remain a staunch Blue Jay fan and have come to terms with the egregious influence of TV control of scheduling and the NCAA Big Brother omnipresence.
But I still have memories of the " good ole days" when the weather was warm , Gebby was leading the band and the cannon was fired after each Blue Jay goal , the internet didn't exist and my father( also a Hopkins grad in the class of 1939) was sitting with me. And no I'm not a Luddite having worked over 50 years in advanced technology as an Advisory Space Systems Scientist.
So scoff away at this stumbling old man but I know there are few who were there with me then ; these are my finest memories of the essence of Blue Jay Tradition. So excuse me as I grease up the axles on my wheelchair , put on a diaper and gear up for my 72th season of Blue Jay lacrosse !
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am I know you're going sarcastic on me but lacrosse has indeed morphed from a warm Springtime sport into a middle of Winter fiasco...
I remain a staunch Blue Jay fan and have come to terms with the egregious influence of TV control of scheduling and the NCAA Big Brother omnipresence.
But I still have memories of the " good ole days" when the weather was warm , Gebby was leading the band and the cannon was fired after each Blue Jay goal , the internet didn't exist and my father( also a Hopkins grad in the class of 1939) was sitting with me. And no I'm not a Luddite having worked over 50 years in advanced technology as an Advisory Space Systems Scientist.
So scoff away at this stumbling old man but I know there are few who were there with me then ; these are my finest memories of the essence of Blue Jay Tradition. So excuse me as I grease up the axles on my wheelchair , put on a diaper and gear up for my 72th season of Blue Jay lacrosse !
Right on brother. I was there, wood sticks and all.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
molo

Post by molo »

Towson FOGO, who is strong as a bull, evidently gave UVA problems, and their guy is returning after a decent year last year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm Towson FOGO, who is strong as a bull, evidently gave UVA problems, and their guy is returning after a decent year last year.
He's given us problems the last several years. Jays will have to take care of the ball and be efficient on offense to make up for what I'm assuming will be a faceoff deficit. The last time we went to Johnny Unitas stadium, it didn't go very well. But that was a very different Hopkins team (and a different Towson team). I still think the Tigers lack a bit of firepower on offense but I suppose we'll find out for sure on Saturday. Hope for no injuries on either side. Weather is forecasting as 35 and sunny—far from ideal, but could be worse for Feb. 9.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am I know you're going sarcastic on me but lacrosse has indeed morphed from a warm Springtime sport into a middle of Winter fiasco...
I am sort of being sarcastic. But, it really shouldn't be played before March 1st. 15 years ago, teams seemed to have figured out how to play 13-14 games from March 1st to approximately May 1st and then play in the tournament. I don't really blame TV, I blame coaches wanting to set out quasi-football schedules where they play once a week instead of playing a couple of times during the season where they play a mid-week match-up. It isn't like attendance will be any different if Hopkins plays Towson on February 9th or some Wednesday afternoon/night in March or April.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am
I am sort of being sarcastic. But, it really shouldn't be played before March 1st. 15 years ago, teams seemed to have figured out how to play 13-14 games from March 1st to approximately May 1st and then play in the tournament. I don't really blame TV, I blame coaches wanting to set out quasi-football schedules where they play once a week instead of playing a couple of times during the season where they play a mid-week match-up. It isn't like attendance will be any different if Hopkins plays Towson on February 9th or some Wednesday afternoon/night in March or April.
I'd be good with a March 1 start, with no scrimmages before Feb 15, and a final tourney in mid June ala baseball. Yes, the Wall Street summer intern employers would need to adjust to that schedule...but they would. Alternatively, coaches would need to play more mid-week games, when playing out of conference.

Sure, that means less micro-managing of game-prep, and the need for more physical recovery time, but it could also mean playing more players in order to keep legs fresh. Not a bad thing!

I wonder whether this has been seriously discussed by the coaches and Rules Committee at the NCAA.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm Towson FOGO, who is strong as a bull, evidently gave UVA problems, and their guy is returning after a decent year last year.
Looking forward to a very good game....
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

TV schedule is shaping up:

@ Towson - Lax Sports Network
vs. Loyola - ESPN3
@ North Carolina - ACC Network Extra
@ Princeton - ???
@ Syracuse - ???
vs. Mount St. Mary's - ESPN3
vs. Delaware - ESPN3
vs. Virginia - ESPN3
@ Michigan - ???
vs. Rutgers - ESPNU
vs. Ohio State - ESPNU
@ Penn State - ESPNU
@ Maryland - ???

Princeton, Syracuse, Michigan, and Maryland games do not yet have a TV home. I assume the latter two will be on Big Ten Network. Syracuse could be on ACC Network Extra (part of the ESPN app) like it was last year. Not sure about Princeton—historically that's been an ESPNU game but not this year. Perhaps it'll end up on the new streaming add-on, ESPN+.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:20 am All games with the exception of the mid-week Tuesday game vs. the Mount are on Saturdays. No Sunday night Big Ten games for us this year. As a TV viewer, I'm going to miss those.
Looks like ESPN moved the Ohio State and Penn State games to Sunday for tv purposes. They are at noon at least, not night games.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 am TV schedule is shaping up:

@ Princeton - ???
@ Syracuse - ???
@ Michigan - ???
@ Maryland - ???

Princeton, Syracuse, Michigan, and Maryland games do not yet have a TV home. I assume the latter two will be on Big Ten Network. Syracuse could be on ACC Network Extra (part of the ESPN app) like it was last year. Not sure about Princeton—historically that's been an ESPNU game but not this year. Perhaps it'll end up on the new streaming add-on, ESPN+.
Princeton game is confirmed for ESPN+ per the Princeton schedule: https://goprincetontigers.com/schedule. ... edule=1623

Syracuse game is confirmed for ACCNE per the Syracuse schedule: https://cuse.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=384

I share your thinking on the two Big Ten games that they are heading to BTN (praying they are not on BTN+).
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 am
steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am
I'd be good with a March 1 start, with no scrimmages before Feb 15, and a final tourney in mid June ala baseball. Yes, the Wall Street summer intern employers would need to adjust to that schedule...but they would. Alternatively, coaches would need to play more mid-week games, when playing out of conference.

Sure, that means less micro-managing of game-prep, and the need for more physical recovery time, but it could also mean playing more players in order to keep legs fresh. Not a bad thing!

I wonder whether this has been seriously discussed by the coaches and Rules Committee at the NCAA.
A mid-June Final would mean that the Final itself would be the only game on one of the "cable" ESPNs. ESPN uses all of its channels to broadcast the baseball and softball playoffs at that time, and all of them have higher ratings than lacrosse. From 1971-1983 there was no Final 4 and the Championship Game was played at a campus stadium. It's perfectly acceptable to say things should be left as they are at present, just as much as it is perfectly acceptable to say that you'd like to go back to the original format. However, to say you want to go back to the original format, you are also saying that you accept the reduced coverage on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU of the playoffs and are willing to watch over the Internet.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
BlueJaySince1947

As I noted the tail( TV ) is wagging the dog( lacrosse )...!!!
I recall that the JHU Twerps next to last game of the season was often on the same day as the Preakness. There was full page coverage of the game in the wacky Sunpaper for the full week before the clash. The crowds were spilling out of the Homewood stands ; every student on campus was in attendance.
Thus endeth the babbling of a pathetic olde molesting Blue Jay...
BlueJaySince1947

My previous post...
Molting NOT molesting !!!
My ASUS tablet is so helpful in its editing mode.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:42 am My previous post...
Molting NOT molesting !!!
My ASUS tablet is so helpful in its editing mode.
Hahaha, I was wondering what you mean there
Georgia Tech alumnus
-

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”