Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 pm Classes canceled MTW. Hope to restart on Thursday.

Thanks, Wawa.
Has the team had a full practice or just small group work?

No practice until next Thursday at the earliest. I’m thinking the OSU game is in jeopardy.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:17 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 pm Classes canceled MTW. Hope to restart on Thursday.

Thanks, Wawa.

No practice until next Thursday at the earliest. I’m thinking the OSU game is in jeopardy.
things should be cleared up by friday. get a couple of workouts in this weekend game week and then time to smoke some buckeyes.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:50 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks, Wawa.

things should be cleared up by friday. get a couple of workouts in this weekend game week and then time to smoke some buckeyes.
Unless I’m wrong but I have yet to hear about a full practice. I believe they have only been in small groups. You’re suggesting they throw it together on the weekend (if allowed) and then take on Ohio?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don’t know if they’ve done a full practice but you can see from the videos they put out that they’ve done more than just small group work. It is what it is. It’s going to be sloppy. If the team is healthy and the school doesn’t have a moratorium on playing, then they are going to play. Michigan is just starting to practice again this week after missing two weeks of it. UMass looks like they’ll have to cancel or at least postpone their first two games. Just the nature of this season.

Throwing a party during the pandemic and giving out free Covid to half the school is not a good look for the football
program. Going to stay with them for a long time. They are doling out serious punishments.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I think the delayed sports info coming out of Hopkins might be tied to trying to time any Centennial Conference announcements at about the same time as B1G.

Not sure.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:33 am I think the delayed sports info coming out of Hopkins might be tied to trying to time any Centennial Conference announcements at about the same time as B1G.

Not sure.
it's d3, graduate in 4 years (w/honors), get a good job/grad school and stay in touch-I'm pretty sure they can read the tea leaves unlike the ivy league leave of absence reclassifying theatrics.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:33 am I think the delayed sports info coming out of Hopkins might be tied to trying to time any Centennial Conference announcements at about the same time as B1G.

Not sure.
Centennial just announced that they have no announcement. Deferring any decision on their spring sports until late February.

Nothing official yet about our schedule. I do not share 06's eternal pessimism regarding the administration but it sure would be nice to get some confirmation given that we're scheduled to play the Buckeyes at Homewood in 12 days and every other B1G school has released their schedules—with us on them. Now that we know from the Centennial press release that Ernie still has internet access, he should put out our first-half schedule ASAP.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Not sure.
Centennial just announced that they
have no announcement.
hah :!:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

For those that would like to waste 20 seconds reading a non-announcement, announcement:
https://centennial.prestosports.com/spo ... ing_update
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:30 pm For those that would like to waste 20 seconds reading a non-announcement, announcement:
Is there a chance the administration follows the lead of the Centennial Conference and puts the lacrosse team on hold for now? There’s a reason Ernie hasn’t put that schedule out.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Not sure.
Centennial just announced that they
have no announcement.
hah :!:
Exactly correct. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:30 pm For those that would like to waste 20 seconds reading a non-announcement, announcement:
Is there a chance the administration follows the lead of the Centennial Conference and puts the lacrosse team on hold for now? There’s a reason Ernie hasn’t put that schedule out.
no public statements lacrosse team has been affected, no public evidence it's transmitted from team to team in competition. School needs to show loyalty to science, student athletes, its b1g membership and transparency and declare there's been an outbreak on the team prohibiting it from playing or to play on. It says a lot that the university congratulated itself for a year over its handling over corona and can't do a week w/out an outbreak.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:42 pm
no public statements lacrosse team has been affected, no public evidence it's transmitted from team to team in competition. School needs to show loyalty to science, student athletes, its b1g membership and transparency and declare there's been an outbreak on the team prohibiting it from playing or to play on. It says a lot that the university congratulated itself for a year over its handling over corona and can't do a week w/out an outbreak.
Ronny thinks it’s a bad look for the lacrosse team to go ahead while the Ivy League is on hold and the Centennial is on hold. That’s my wildly based on zip speculation.

On another note in one of the team social media pics Kirson looks a lot leaner than he did at OSU. That could mean he’s quicker or takes up less net and it’s a problem. Can’t wait to find out. Is the schedule released yet? :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The fact that the Centennial was supposed to make an announcement THIS week and hasn't, is concerning. And it's not good that Hopkins of all places was at the heart of the latest college spreader event. The only good from that announcement is that it didn't pull the plug.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

My personal guess is this has nothing to do with the Centennial, they just don't want to be seen getting hyped up for lacrosse while the rest of campus is shutdown. If in-person activities resume on Thursday as planned, we'll probably get the schedule shortly after, if it's not already out before then. The glass half full view of this is hopefully this scares the frats from partying the rest of the semester and thus decreases the chances of a midseason pause. Better now than in April. I think we all have to accept the notion that we're not going to get through this 11 game schedule exactly as planned. And we won't be the only ones. Ask UMass.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

A bit off subject, but reminds me of Steel_Hop’s oft stated observations about Petro vis a vis Rabil/Harrison.

In eight years without Brady as his quarterback, Belichick is 61-72 with one playoff appearance. With Brady, he was 219-64, went to nine Super Bowls, and copped the AFC East 17 times. In his three Patriot seasons without him, he is 22-25 with no playoffs. This counts Belichick’s pre-Patriot years in Cleveland without Brady.

It is amazing the impact one player can have.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 pm My personal guess is this has nothing to do with the Centennial, they just don't want to be seen getting hyped up for lacrosse while the rest of campus is shutdown. If in-person activities resume on Thursday as planned, we'll probably get the schedule shortly after, if it's not already out before then. The glass half full view of this is hopefully this scares the frats from partying the rest of the semester and thus decreases the chances of a midseason pause. Better now than in April. I think we all have to accept the notion that we're not going to get through this 11 game schedule exactly as planned. And we won't be the only ones. Ask UMass.
we shouldn't be guessing or learning through emails sent to donors and friends, they should be transparent. these stunts are not a good look when billy joe and mary sue sec folks are safely playing seasons and already into next fall schedules. If you're going to announce apparel company contracts, put out rosters, social media clips to satisfy apparel company contracts you should be playing and not pulling these games.

if this was all the result of wawa that's an indictment of the highest levels of the administration. I've read stories for years about them arguing in annapolis and baltimore for the ability to have hop cops and these folks weren't able to see a party virtually on campus or near campus?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:52 pm we shouldn't be guessing or learning through emails sent to donors and friends, they should be transparent. these stunts are not a good look when billy joe and mary sue sec folks are safely playing seasons and already into next fall schedules. If you're going to announce apparel company contracts, put out rosters, social media clips to satisfy apparel company contracts you should be playing and not pulling these games.

if this was all the result of wawa that's an indictment of the highest levels of the administration. I've read stories for years about them arguing in annapolis and baltimore for the ability to have hop cops and these folks weren't able to see a party virtually on campus or near campus?
Are you able to discuss this without referencing SEC football? It's not helpful.

Short of literally imprisoning the students, they cannot prevent some of them from gathering. You're the one who wanted a full return to campus. This is what happens. College kids are stupid. Rules were put in place, a few students broke them, and now they are being punished. Hopefully it deters future violations but this has happened on many college campuses since they've opened back up.

My problem is not that the administration should have somehow prevented anyone from entering the Wawa house, but rather in their reaction to it—forcing *all* student athletes to self-isolate, regardless of what sport they play or if they had anything to do with this party (99% didn't), doesn't make any sense.

I agree with you on one thing—the radio silence re: the schedule release is annoying.
Hoponboard wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:47 pm A bit off subject, but reminds me of Steel_Hop’s oft stated observations about Petro vis a vis Rabil/Harrison.

In eight years without Brady as his quarterback, Belichick is 61-72 with one playoff appearance. With Brady, he was 219-64, went to nine Super Bowls, and copped the AFC East 17 times. In his three Patriot seasons without him, he is 22-25 with no playoffs. This counts Belichick’s pre-Patriot years in Cleveland without Brady.

It is amazing the impact one player can have.
One could argue this applied to the Jays last year without #32. There were plenty of other issues, sure, but that was a very big one that's getting solved this season.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 pm I think we all have to accept the notion that we're not going to get through this 11 game schedule exactly as planned. And we won't be the only ones. Ask UMass.
I think this is going to be the case for many. Many teams will probably be employing the Hop Strategy- Play well enough to be NCAA eligible and hope you can get a bid/healthy/hot in May.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

That sounds like the Ohio State CFP eligibility strategy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”