Best sport as complement to lacrosse?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Best sport as complement to lacrosse?

Post by 10stone5 »

I think that was Arnie.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:49 pm
Carroll81 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:03 pm Basketball - spacing, picks, teamwork
Hockey - speed of play, spacing, coordination (hands and feet)
Golf - mental, hands
Soccer - spacing, endurance
I don't want to start poop here but the question was about sports, golf is an activity not a sport, you can not smoke while playing a sport but you can while playing golf. When Jack Nicholas was the #1 golfer in the world and he chain smoked during play, can you imagine a SSDM with a butt dangling from his mouth on the wing?
I see your argument. Could make the same argument about lots of baseball players back then also. Maybe not smoking on the field, but smoking and drinking in the club houses.

Does the NCAA allow athletic scholarships for Golf? Must be a sport then. The NCAA is always right :D

Also saw and agree with the argument that Golf helps you with learning how to transfer your power (hips -> core -> shoulders -> arms). I think Quint mentioned it today. It is right even more than the NCAA!
Plax7289

Post by Plax7289 »

Great Topic --Great Post-----I believe that all// most sports compliment lacrosse. In High School, play more than only lacrosse to get coached, be on a team and compete. Put yourself in situations like a free throw w no time left on clock, being down at 1/2 and listening to Coach--make adjustments, rally as a team. The conditioning, focus, and 1 v1 mentality of wrestling. If the environment is correct, if the coaching is on point, all sports will compliment lacrosse. Also, no later than 9/10 grade get into a competent strength and conditioning program with a coach. This has same benefits as competing on a team and you build the body armor ----I watched a bunch of games this weekend ---do not down play the strength of these athletes.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:13 pm I think that was Arnie.
it was both - here is an article from Orlando Sentinel March 2008

"Ben Hogan used to smoke two packs of unfiltered Chesterfield cigarettes per round. Sam Snead used to commercially endorse Lucky Strikes even though he detested smoking. And, of course, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus were chain smokers in their early days on the Tour.

But Arnie points out he stopped smoking on the golf course in 1962, the same year Jack also quit publicly puffing. Nicklaus told Golf Digest a few years ago that he stopped smoking on the golf course after watching a replay of a playoff with Arnie in the '62 U.S. Open -- a day when the two future legends turned Oakmont into Smokemont.

"We must have looked like two chimneys," Nicklaus said. "I never smoked again in public after that." "

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”