Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:14 am
flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 pm Nads serving a 2 game suspension for recruiting violations at Towson.
I call BS.
What is BS? Towson announced it:

https://twitter.com/towson_mlax/status/ ... 18050?s=21
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins is now the only BIG team that hasn't loaded the 1st half schedule on its web-site - Penn St. was the last other holdout. Interesting given the fact that rosters and other news items have been updated pretty frequently?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 pm Nads serving a 2 game suspension for recruiting violations at Towson.
I call BS.
You sure about that?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:19 am
I call BS.
What is BS? Towson announced it:

https://twitter.com/towson_mlax/status/ ... 18050?s=21
Their announcement does not say "recruiting violation".
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:10 am Their announcement does not say "recruiting violation".
You're right, it doesn't. An "NCAA compliance violation" that leads to the suspension of a coach is recruiting-related most of the time, though. There are some assumptions/reading between the lines being made in this thread, but I don't think those making them are walking out on too much of a limb.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu08 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:10 am Their announcement does not say "recruiting violation".
You're right, it doesn't. An "NCAA compliance violation" that leads to the suspension of a coach is recruiting-related most of the time, though. There are some assumptions/reading between the lines being made in this thread, but I don't think those making them are walking out on too much of a limb.
No argument, could be academic misconduct or certification, benefits, a member of the staff, may even be related to newly enforced COVID rules.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 am Hopkins is now the only BIG team that hasn't loaded the 1st half schedule on its web-site - Penn St. was the last other holdout. Interesting given the fact that rosters and other news items have been updated pretty frequently?
Interesting or concerning?

The school put out another update yesterday that called out "the former Wawa House" by name as the source of the cluster. The numbers are going in the right direction—only 12 new student cases yesterday after there were 27 the day before. I heard some of the students involved face not only suspension but possibly expulsion. The Blue Jays in men's lacrosse can't be too thrilled with their fellow student-athletes on the football team right now.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 am Hopkins is now the only BIG team that hasn't loaded the 1st half schedule on its web-site - Penn St. was the last other holdout. Interesting given the fact that rosters and other news items have been updated pretty frequently?
this was not my post
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Watching UNC- Denver. Gray is astoundingly good. Makes you wonder if things would be different if he transferred to Hop and not UNC. Probably not.

On another note, understanding there is a talent gap, it would be great if we adopted UNC's style of play. Would be a refreshing change from our style over the last decade.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:45 am Watching UNC- Denver. Gray is astoundingly good. Makes you wonder if things would be different if he transferred to Hop and not UNC. Probably not.

On another note, understanding there is a talent gap, it would be great if we adopted UNC's style of play. Would be a refreshing change from our style over the last decade.
It might take a year or two to get the right personnel, but we will look vastly different under Milliman than we did under Petro. I’m sure you saw them sometime before in the last few years, but if you haven’t - really take a look at how Cornell was operating in 19-20.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu08 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:04 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:45 am Watching UNC- Denver. Gray is astoundingly good. Makes you wonder if things would be different if he transferred to Hop and not UNC. Probably not.

It might take a year or two to get the right personnel, but we will look vastly different under Milliman than we did under Petro. I’m sure you saw them sometime before in the last few years, but if you haven’t - really take a look at how Cornell was operating in 19-20.
Exactly. Judging from his Cornell teams, we'll at least be attacking much earlier in the shot clock and there will be much better ball movement.We at least should have the players on offense to run that system effectively.

Oh, if our opponents would be so gracious as to play the zone "defense" that Denver has rolled out against UNC, that would be much appreciated!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

All I ask is that we 1) clear the ball and 2) don't waste half the shot clock getting the right personnel on the field. Just go. Get the ball over midfield and play.

UNC is very, very good. Puts our game with them last year in some better context. It was a pretty solid drubbing but we were at least within 5 in the fourth quarter. Denver will be lucky to keep this within 10.

It won't help come tournament selection time but for our collective sanity it's looking like a good year to take a break from playing the ACC.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“It won't help come tournament selection time but for our collective sanity it's looking like a good year to take a break from playing the ACC.”

What? Have to play them sooner or later...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:19 pm What? Have to play them sooner or later...
The realists here don’t necessarily count on this team to be dancing this year. So no, we don’t have to play them this year. I’d love to have that chance, but it doesn’t define our program or what we are trying to do (long term).

We have to focus on getting better first. We have not been good enough for the last two years - arguably longer.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Most had Carolina 3rd in the ACC this year. Good lord. Oh, and they sat their AA goalie too for some reason.

Agree with 16 - not the worst thing to miss the ACC this year. Get a full year with the new staff, and fall ball and regular practices, under our belts and then jump right back in to playing everyone. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion that they'd actually hammered in the fashion like Denver is currently, but losing by 10+ doesn't have any benefits.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

jhu08 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:19 pm What? Have to play them sooner or later...
The realists here don’t necessarily count on this team to be dancing this year. So no, we don’t have to play them this year. I’d love to have that chance, but it doesn’t define our program or what we are trying to do (long term).

We have to focus on getting better first. We have not been good enough for the last two years - arguably longer.
there were 4 georgetown/loyola/denver games against the acc on schedule this year and denver lost 2 of them. Going to make it that much harder for non acc/b1g teams to claim at large bids. There's already 2 extra at large bids open now because the ivy isn't playing. If you get an optimistic scenario 6-5 hopkins/rutgers team with 3 wins against maryland, penn state and ohio state vs a 9-3 or whatever georgetown team w/2 wins against denver but losses to out of the top 20 big east chum, it makes for an interesting selection sunday and that seems to be where we're potentially headed.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:00 pm There's already 2 extra at large bids open now because the ivy isn't playing.
What do you mean? The most likely scenario is the the tournament will be 16 because there are only 8 qualifying AQ conferences instead of 9. Where these two extra at-larges coming from?
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:00 pm If you get an optimistic scenario 6-5 hopkins/rutgers team with 3 wins against maryland, penn state and ohio state vs a 9-3 or whatever georgetown team w/2 wins against denver but losses to out of the top 20 big east chum, it makes for an interesting selection sunday and that seems to be where we're potentially headed.
Unless selection criteria for this year looks massively different than it has in the past - which I have heard nothing about so far - I don't think a lot of people have fully wrapped their heads around how playing in a closed universe of teams (i.e., conference-only scheduling) is going to impact the Big Ten: Big Ten conference RPI is going to be shot all to hell from what it normally is. I think we need 7 wins in our 11 guaranteed games to even be in the discussion for an at-large bid, and I do not think 7-4 guarantees anything.

Given the overall/average quality of the Big Ten teams, 7+ wins is going to be an ask.

Unless we hear something about selection criteria for 2021 completely changing from normal, the sooner that everyone accepts that an at-large bid might not be in the cards this year, the better.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu08 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:00 pm There's already 2 extra at large bids open now because the ivy isn't playing.
What do you mean? The most likely scenario is the the tournament will be 16 because there are only 8 qualifying AQ conferences instead of 9. Where these two extra at-larges coming from?
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:00 pm If you get an optimistic scenario 6-5 hopkins/rutgers team with 3 wins against maryland, penn state and ohio state vs a 9-3 or whatever georgetown team w/2 wins against denver but losses to out of the top 20 big east chum, it makes for an interesting selection sunday and that seems to be where we're potentially headed.
Unless selection criteria for this year looks massively different than it has in the past - which I have heard nothing about so far - I don't think a lot of people have fully wrapped their heads around how playing in a closed universe of teams (i.e., conference-only scheduling) is going to impact the Big Ten: Big Ten conference RPI is going to be shot all to hell from what it normally is. I think we need 7 wins in our 11 guaranteed games to even be in the discussion for an at-large bid, and I do not think 7-4 guarantees anything.

Given the overall/average quality of the Big Ten teams, 7+ wins is going to be an ask.

Unless we hear something about selection criteria for 2021 completely changing from normal, the sooner that everyone accepts that an at-large bid might not be in the cards this year, the better.
I think he means two of Yale/Cornell/Penn were likely to get at-large bids, so with them not playing, it frees up two of those slots.

The ACC is probably going to get at least 4, maybe 5.
The Georgetown/Denver loser in the BE could get one but Denver has already wasted its only two shots at quality OOC wins
PL could get one depending on how Loyola/Army/Lehigh do OOC but probably not more than that

There will be a spot or two or three for the Big Ten even in this weird RPI year, and it would not surprise me if they end up tweaking the criteria a bit to adjust for the scheduling weirdness. We haven't even factored in the possibility of game cancellations.

I am not expecting us to make the tournament. I just want to see a competitive, fun team that offers something to look forward to in 2022.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:39 pm
I think he means two of Yale/Cornell/Penn were likely to get at-large bids, so with them not playing, it frees up two of those slots.
Oh, okay. I got it now. I was thinking that meant that the tournament was going to expand in terms of at-larges somehow. I think there will only be 3 at-large bids left when the ACC gets finished. I am not counting on any other than the AQ for the Big Ten as a certainty, and anything beyond 1 at-large for the conference is going to require some changes in selection from my perspective.
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:39 pm
I am not expecting us to make the tournament. I just want to see a competitive, fun team that offers something to look forward to in 2022.
Amen.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Classes canceled MTW. Hope to restart on Thursday.

Thanks, Wawa.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”