Syracuse v. Loyola 2/20/2021 at 11:00

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Syracuse v. Loyola 2/20/2021 at 11:00

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:27 am Sure makes sense to me. 2018, Maryland v Cuse in the Dome, huge game.
Attendance, 1590 (sad). Plenty of room for social distancing and covid
protocol there.
Wasn't this one of the games attended by Mrs. Pardonthesizeofmyass sitting in front of you?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:10 pm Skill athleticism depth etc etc it's all there for Loyola, we know that. The Hounds had a little bit of magic last year, looking forward to seeing if they still have it.
From what I hear through my hearing aid is that Loyola did not add any transfers, but the nucleus of the team is the same from last year. Strong Senior leadership.

I think the most important game for the early season will be Cuse/Loyola and that will likely affect the polls with one team dropping lower than they should. But as a preseason prognosis, Loyola should be a good team...great? we will see.

I am hearing that the Hounds schedule may be coming out soon. I will be interested to see if the female GOAT (IMO) scheduled like she normally does. The only games I am aware of at this time are the Cuse opener and Patriot League games.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:52 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:27 am Sure makes sense to me. 2018, Maryland v Cuse in the Dome, huge game.
protocol there.
Wasn't this one of the games attended by Mrs. Pardonthesizeofmyass sitting in front of you?
Please expound on this to me....sounds like a good story.

Pardonthesizeofmyass....LOL
DMac

Post by DMac »

protocol there.
You mean Pardonthesizeofmyass' whole famn damily?
No, that was a mlax game, can't remember v who but
it was a good game and Cuse won it. That's when the
Vermont boys were there, they always pick a good one
to come down for and Cuse is undefeated when they're
in attendance. Love those guys. That was a week or two
after we had made an acquaintance with Ms. R. U.
Effinnuts. Had a bit of a rough stretch there.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:24 pm
protocol there.
You mean Pardonthesizeofmyass' whole famn damily?
No, that was a mlax game, can't remember v who but
it was a good game and Cuse won it. That's when the
Vermont boys were there, they always pick a good one
to come down for and Cuse is undefeated when they're
in attendance. Love those guys. That was a week or two
after we had made an acquaintance with Ms. R. U.
Effinnuts. Had a bit of a rough stretch there.
OK...now its R.U. Effinnuts lol...do you name everyone you see? Must take alot of creativity over your years to name and remember all those .....
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

It’s Mrs. R. U. Effinuts that I am thinking of. Thanks. Forgot about the Vermont boys.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The answer is no, don't name everyone, Dr. Guess I've got some 'splainin' to do here. Thanks, sc. Don't know how I can keep this short so here goes.
Needless to say my buddy and I always sit in pretty much the same seats, fifty yard line, nice height and we'll be there for every game. There's never a problem getting a good seat in the Dome, just not that many people show up. Bring a friend with us to the Albany game which is a big game, had been given a little hype (Nanticoke), pretty good size crowd expected. Probably doesn't need to be mentioned, the friend causes us to show up a little later than usual (of all days). Hoping there's still some decent seats somewhere near where we normally sit when entering the arena, and lo and behold there are the seats (for three, even) we normally sit in unoccupied even with the larger crowd there. No cup on the seat, no jacket...nothing you'd leave to let someone know you're sitting there (went to the head/Dome foam counter), jackets hanging on the backrest. Looked odd, so I leaned toward the gal sitting behind those seats and politely asked if anyone was sitting in them. I got nothing, a blank look and no acknowledgement of having been heard. Leaned in and got her attention next time and again politely asked if those seats were taken. This time I got a no but I don't want anyone sitting in them so I can see the goal down at that end of the field (left). Obviously the jackets were hers, a feeble attempt to deceive, I might add. Without hesitation I let her know that we would try to accommodate her as best we can, lean a little forward, make a little space between us, but we're gonna sit in those seats. Happy ending. All I could think of is, are you efffin nuts??? Holding seats vacant so no one can sit in front of you? Not holding them open if I'm the one who wants to sit in "em. Ms Effinnuts was named when I wrote pretty much this story on the mlax side after that game.
Family Phatasz. Couple of weeks after Ms Effinnuts, we ran into our Vermont buddies in the Dome. Three of 'em come down to one game a year and we've struck up a friendship with them (we're pretty hard to not like, ya know) so it's always good to see them, to say nothing of Cuse being undefeated when they're in attendance. We got there plenty early and were having a nice chat with our Catamount buddies. These guys were sitting with seating for two normal size people to sit next to them to the right, which would put the last guy next to the aisle. No one to the left of them for ten yards, nothing but metal there. Enter Family Phatasz about one minute before face off. Three of them, two males one female, none under 250-275, one over, the caboose. They stop right at the row the Vermonters are sitting in and it goes without saying, nachos with cheese and cokes in hand. Mr. Large asks the Vermonters if they'd move down a little so they could sit in those end seats. My instincts were to answer for the Vermonters but was hesitant to drag those boys into a discussion they might not have wanted to be a part of so I said nothing and they moved down. Not far enough though, Phatasz #1 and 2 were able to fit in but Caboose's right cheek was hanging in the aisle with the room that was left. SO THEY ASK THEM TO MOVE DOWN A LITTLE FARTHER AND THEY DID. That was about 10-15 seconds before my buddy looked at me and asked loudly enough for most around us to hear, W*T*F kind of aszwholes would show up late and ask people to move so they can get a seat? That's right when the Mrs Phatasz stood up and said, I think we should move down here (where the ten yards of seating is) and the three of them moved their phat aszez down to where they should have been to begin with. Geezuz H! We saw the Catamounts at last year's Army game...yup, another good one and Cuse W...we all laughed our aszes off about it all and they let us know they were glad we handled it the way we did. So that's where Pardonthesizeofmyass comes from...that's a sc original (I like it).
Told about this experience on the mlax side too.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:04 pm The answer is no, don't name everyone, Dr. Guess I've got some 'splainin' to do here. Thanks, sc. Don't know how I can keep this short so here goes.
Needless to say my buddy and I always sit in pretty much the same seats, fifty yard line, nice height and we'll be there for every game. There's never a problem getting a good seat in the Dome, just not that many people show up. Bring a friend with us to the Albany game which is a big game, had been given a little hype (Nanticoke), pretty good size crowd expected. Probably doesn't need to be mentioned, the friend causes us to show up a little later than usual (of all days). Hoping there's still some decent seats somewhere near where we normally sit when entering the arena, and lo and behold there are the seats (for three, even) we normally sit in unoccupied even with the larger crowd there. No cup on the seat, no jacket...nothing you'd leave to let someone know you're sitting there (went to the head/Dome foam counter), jackets hanging on the backrest. Looked odd, so I leaned toward the gal sitting behind those seats and politely asked if anyone was sitting in them. I got nothing, a blank look and no acknowledgement of having been heard. Leaned in and got her attention next time and again politely asked if those seats were taken. This time I got a no but I don't want anyone sitting in them so I can see the goal down at that end of the field (left). Obviously the jackets were hers, a feeble attempt to deceive, I might add. Without hesitation I let her know that we would try to accommodate her as best we can, lean a little forward, make a little space between us, but we're gonna sit in those seats. Happy ending. All I could think of is, are you efffin nuts??? Holding seats vacant so no one can sit in front of you? Not holding them open if I'm the one who wants to sit in "em. Ms Effinnuts was named when I wrote pretty much this story on the mlax side after that game.
Family Phatasz. Couple of weeks after Ms Effinnuts, we ran into our Vermont buddies in the Dome. Three of 'em come down to one game a year and we've struck up a friendship with them (we're pretty hard to not like, ya know) so it's always good to see them, to say nothing of Cuse being undefeated when they're in attendance. We got there plenty early and were having a nice chat with our Catamount buddies. These guys were sitting with seating for two normal size people to sit next to them to the right, which would put the last guy next to the aisle. No one to the left of them for ten yards, nothing but metal there. Enter Family Phatasz about one minute before face off. Three of them, two males one female, none under 250-275, one over, the caboose. They stop right at the row the Vermonters are sitting in and it goes without saying, nachos with cheese and cokes in hand. Mr. Large asks the Vermonters if they'd move down a little so they could sit in those end seats. My instincts were to answer for the Vermonters but was hesitant to drag those boys into a discussion they might not have wanted to be a part of so I said nothing and they moved down. Not far enough though, Phatasz #1 and 2 were able to fit in but Caboose's right cheek was hanging in the aisle with the room that was left. SO THEY ASK THEM TO MOVE DOWN A LITTLE FARTHER AND THEY DID. That was about 10-15 seconds before my buddy looked at me and asked loudly enough for most around us to hear, W*T*F kind of aszwholes would show up late and ask people to move so they can get a seat? That's right when the Mrs Phatasz stood up and said, I think we should move down here (where the ten yards of seating is) and the three of them moved their phat aszez down to where they should have been to begin with. Geezuz H! We saw the Catamounts at last year's Army game...yup, another good one and Cuse W...we all laughed our aszes off about it all and they let us know they were glad we handled it the way we did. So that's where Pardonthesizeofmyass comes from...that's a sc original (I like it).
You're a little like Samuel Clemens. Only from Liverpool, NY, not Missouri.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:04 pm The answer is no, don't name everyone, Dr. Guess I've got some 'splainin' to do here. Thanks, sc. Don't know how I can keep this short so here goes.
Thanks for the story. Love the color and depth of descriptions.
Dr. Tact

Loyola Schedule

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac

Post by DMac »

Typically the schedules show where games can be seen on TV, nothing on the Loyola or Cuse schedule.
This game is definitely on TV, right??????
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:10 am Typically the schedules show where games can be seen on TV, nothing on the Loyola or Cuse schedule.
This game is definitely on TV, right??????
Yes. ESPN+ (with $5.99 per month subscription). As an old time hockey writer used to say, “You could look it up.” But he was usually referencing old time hockey when he used that phrase.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks. Am all in with the ESPN+, all signed up and ready to watch.
Actually, I kind of did look it up right here. Thanks again. ;)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It's great that ESPN+ carries games like this one but don't expect a high end production like something you'd see on a major broadcast. Having watched quite a bit of the ECAC hockey games this season this is what you might expect,

Generally you'll get the home team's announcer(s).
There will probably be no more than two cameras on site, and 95% of the contest is via one (read wide, far-away shots).
Replays are almost non existent.
Occasionally there are mishaps such as video with no audio.

All in all, for $6 per month it's worth it, especially when there are so many games and so many sports. I'm fearful though, for a sport like wlax, the announcer may have a very limited history calling wlax games, and a casual understanding of the rules. Hopefully that won't be the case but you take the good with the bad.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Over the years, more often than not, you get a pretty decent showing with women’s lacrosse on ESPN plus. There are always replays but they only keep them up for a number of weeks and then they’re gone. Still the cheapest ticket in town for lacrosse you have to pay for so, I agree, it is worth it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Nigel wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:50 pm It's great that ESPN+ carries games like this one but don't expect a high end production like something you'd see on a major broadcast. Having watched quite a bit of the ECAC hockey games this season this is what you might expect,

Generally you'll get the home team's announcer(s).
There will probably be no more than two cameras on site, and 95% of the contest is via one (read wide, far-away shots).
Replays are almost non existent.
Occasionally there are mishaps such as video with no audio.

All in all, for $6 per month it's worth it, especially when there are so many games and so many sports. I'm fearful though, for a sport like wlax, the announcer may have a very limited history calling wlax games, and a casual understanding of the rules. Hopefully that won't be the case but you take the good with the bad.
The Loyola broadcasts have been some of the best through PLN. Brady Seabolt did a great job... Zoe Stukenberg did color... If they use the local talent, loyola broadcasts will be fine.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:20 pm The Loyola broadcasts have been some of the best through PLN. Brady Seabolt did a great job... Zoe Stukenberg did color... If they use the local talent, loyola broadcasts will be fine.
I agree all around except for Seabolt. His “and we got whistles” gets really old after about the 17th time he says it in a game. He calls a good game but somebody oughta tell him to find something different to say, or wait for his cohost to say it. And on top of that, he doesn’t explain what the whistles are. At least that’s my memory from the few times I’ve watched Loyola broadcasts. But it’s such a great matchup that I would put up with anybody calling the game.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:39 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:20 pm The Loyola broadcasts have been some of the best through PLN. Brady Seabolt did a great job... Zoe Stukenberg did color... If they use the local talent, loyola broadcasts will be fine.
I agree all around except for Seabolt. His “and we got whistles” gets really old after about the 17th time he says it in a game. He calls a good game but somebody oughta tell him to find something different to say, or wait for his cohost to say it. And on top of that, he doesn’t explain what the whistles are. At least that’s my memory from the few times I’ve watched Loyola broadcasts. But it’s such a great matchup that I would put up with anybody calling the game.
I think there is one A team for National Wlax broadcasts, so Brady may be B team, but I do enjoy his enthusiasm, and his Balmer (hun) homer call ;) . I know that may not resonate with all and I am not trying to hold him up for National standards, but I stand by my statement that if he does the audio, Hound broadcasts will be well served.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Zoe uttered a great line during a game once. An attacker deked her defender so much so that the defender fell down. Stukenberg quipped, "Well, if you get your defender on the ground, you know you did your job.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Really can't complain a whole lot, across the board these broadcast people do a pretty decent job and the cameras are pretty good for the most part too. Which isn't to say there won't be any complaining but hey, that's what we do. When you get the guy in the booth who is by himself and doesn't know jack it can be a little rough, but I don't know if that's anymore annoying than Quint and Anish so I guess it's just part of the deal. Sometimes you get outstanding broadcasters who know the game/played the game who are a pleasure to listen to too, such as Ms Downunda who did a number of the Cuse wlaxer's games. :D

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”