Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by oldbartman »

Hobart was forced out of the PL since lax is the only D I sport there. I wouldn't put a cap on this teams upside. If we win the NEC and don't draw Duke or UMD, we have a punchers chance.
TAV

Post by TAV »

Understood, but I seriously doubt they could compete for 60 min. with anyone in the top 15 of IL Early Rankings...wish it were different, but it is what it is...

As a Carolina fan for the past 15 years, I get quality competition, the underdog role and real tourney, NC potential. That being said I do jump onto Hobart Game from time too time, want them too do well. I did love those D3 vs D1 Games of back in the day.

I agree, there’s upside and that the Program is doing much better/well compared to the recent past.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

TAV wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:59 pm Understood, but I seriously doubt they could compete for 60 min. with anyone in the top 15 of IL Early Rankings...wish it were different, but it is what it is...

As a Carolina fan for the past 15 years, I get quality competition, the underdog role and real tourney, NC potential. That being said I do jump onto Hobart Game from time too time, want them too do well. I did love those D3 vs D1 Games of back in the day.

I agree, there’s upside and that the Program is doing much better/well compared to the recent past.
When was the last time that you saw Hobart play in person? As Oldbartman said, I’d give us at least a puncher’s chance against anyone. Beat SU when they were ranked #3 and we were unranked, for example, and the team is a whole lot better now than then. In any event, playing in DI is far superior than playing DIII. No comparison.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TAV wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 pm Tenative schedule up

https://hwsathletics.com/schedule.aspx? ... &path=mlax
That’s a tough schedule...10-0 and then get bounced by 10 goals in the NCAA Play-In Game.

This is sorta why I’m an ACC/Carolina Fan now; an underdog but plays tough competition.

I appreciate Hobart’s tradition etc...and enjoyed the “Glory Years”, but once COVID passes in a couple of years, it might be time to change Conferences or at least up the OOC games. Look @ High Point: Carolina, Virginia, Duke OCC.

I get it - SU and Cornell, but Hobart should add 1-2 top ranked teams - good for the Program and of course SOS.
I think calling UNC/ACC underdog is misstatement, more like a fair weather fan.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
TAV

Post by TAV »

Ketch wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:47 pm
TAV wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:59 pm Understood, but I seriously doubt they could compete for 60 min. with anyone in the top 15 of IL Early Rankings...wish it were different, but it is what it is...

When was the last time that you saw Hobart play in person? As Oldbartman said, I’d give us at least a puncher’s chance against anyone. Beat SU when they were ranked #3 and we were unranked, for example, and the team is a whole lot better now than then. In any event, playing in DI is far superior than playing DIII. No comparison.
I’ll always have a fondness for Hobart, like I said, I do hope they do well - year in year out.

But after watching ACC Lax and Carolina closely for 15 years, I suppose I’m spoiled.

The last time I saw them play in person was 1983 and I ain’t going back...I make it to UVA, Duke and Carolina games from time to time.

With increased parity in College D1 Lax - practically any team can have a one-off win against a top 10 team.

Try the meat grinder of the ACC regular season and ACC Tourney, plus in normal years OCC playing Denver and Hopkins...

It’s just a different gear.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

The good news is that the Poole Dome is open and the team is using it. For the last few weeks the practices have been staggered, but as of the other day the full team is practicing. The guys are happy and the rust is shaking off. The bad news is that the COVID rates seem to be rising on campus -- seems like some students have been making some boneheaded decisions. My friend tells me that lacrosse has been minimally affected and no players have tested positive, but who knows what will happen if the school goes into a two week fully remote period. Would that mean all practices would stop too? I would think so.
The Colleges keep a COVID dashboard (https://www2.hws.edu/opening/dashboard/ ) and that shows them at 80 cases. If they hit 100 before Monday, NY will require the two week quarantine. I hope they slow the spread.
I spoke with a player at Wegmans who said the O looks very powerful and that some FY players are looking likely to get some good playing time.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Thanks for the update! Here's a local article on the upcoming season: https://www.fltimes.com/sports/mens-lac ... ecce1.html

Definitely hope the school get's a handle on the COVID #'s.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Binghampton?

Funny pic they used for the story.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is there a world where we could have Barthelme (6’7”), Knox (6’4”) and Mott (6’2”) on attack with (I guess) Madonna, Herlihy and Archer at Midfield on EMO? The latter three are 5’11”, 5’10” & 5’9” so I think it could work but would be visually fascinating and the matchups would be interesting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I guess based on limited information,observations, comments and educated guessing it sounds like the its likely to be:

A: Knox, Archer & Mott

M: Madonna, Herlihy & Delaney (based on comments by Raymond and some other vague references).

FO: Shea/Blanchard combo again (unless one starts to pull away under the new rules which is possible)

LSM: Dan Ryan, ? (EBF, Trujillo, Hurley)

D: Mueller (please be 100%, the world needs to see a healthy Sam Mueller this year), Christiansen & ? (Nalen, Synnott, Johnson, Turner, Horton). Thought Delpha was coming back, but not on roster. Too bad. We didn’t get to see his best unfortunately.

G: ? - Assuming Holtby but who knows.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

UGH....97 positive cases reported. The school just paused all non-academic activities through 2/15. All athletics are canceled during that time period as well.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bach in there quite a bit too. But all bets are off now.
On the "glass half-full" side of things, I think Hobart Lacrosse is being very careful and are among the leaders on campus regarding COVID safety. These guys really want to play.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Part of me is wondering if I should hammer my fingers after my last post followed shortly by the Covid news. But, I agree Bach will be a player long term, just wonder with losing the last HS year if he's maybe a year or two at this level before he learns to mix his phsyicality with skill, assume he was dominant in HS partly due to his size and speed relative to competition.

Still fascinated by this group of non starting FR last year, none of whom are likely to start though Barthleme and Grooms may be competing for that third attack spot.

Grooms
Barthelme
Mas Romm
Baltzer

Combined these kids played in all five games each and contributed 5,11,16 (g,a pt) along with 23 gbs, 10 TOs (6 from Grooms, 4 from Baltzer on wing, none from other two who did handle the ball) and 5 CTs. Small sample size but for non starters (including 2gs by Grooms vs Cuse) that's 3pts a game (1,2.2,3.2 on avg) along with 4.5GBs and a CT. TOs hopefully will go down as Grooms adds some strength and gets more acclimated to this level, not much you can do about wing TOs usually.

That's incredible production from FR to start a season from a bunch of non starters IMO. Not to ignore any other kids, but Herlihy got plenty of attention for his scoring last year. I want to see the depth get utilized over a full season here hopefully. Believe we can have third line kids making critical contributions in the back third of a season with this group and hope we get a chance to see that.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

103 cases reported. 2 week mandatory quarantine next?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

No mandatory quarantine. The 100 cases rule is within a two-week period that is specified by the state, and HWS hasn't hit 100 within that time frame yet (not to say they won't). Nonetheless, all athletics are cancelled for the next 10 days, and that means no lacrosse practice. Not even the gyms are open. Students will be allowed to do exercise on their own outside, but that is all. It isn't great running weather outside, so I expect even fitness will take a dip because of this. Folks I know on campus say that this spike is due to a bunch of students throwing in the towel on isolation and mask wearing, holding unauthorized gatherings and parties, and then not reporting correctly in the contact tracing because of not wanting to turn in their peers. It is all understandable, but it is still a PITA (not just for Hobart, but for everyone who is affected by overall rates in the county).
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

119 positive cases. Hope that # starts trending downward soon.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Gov Coumo opens arenas to sporting events and shows
Hopefully that includes the bubble and The Boz
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Gov Cuomo doesn't know his arse from his elbow...
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I think the COVID numbers include recoveries. Active cases are dropping. Looks like the voluntary suspension of activities is working. Hopefully practices start up again in a few days.
I wonder if midfield will be a bit of a free for all at first. The last few years Raymond has played a huge range of players at first. We've always had some players who were gamers and who never really showed their full talent until they were in games. He also seems to like to give runs to a lot of freshmen. Should be really fun to see it shake out.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Coach Raymond maturing to playing a longer bench of players and particularly playing younger players significant minutes is great for the team
A lot of really strong players never truly got a chance in his early years.
Good for the team, good for the program , good for the student athletes

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”