Meaning second half of schedule will be

@ Ohio State
vs. Michigan
vs. Maryland
@ Penn State
@ Rutgers

Not necessarily in that order.

Feb 20. We have a date and an opponent.

Kirson's first game is against his old team.
jhu08

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu08 »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:27 pm Week 4 - Penn State
Has the location of this game been confirmed anywhere yet? As far as I can see, neither us or PSU have posted our schedules yet. Clearly this is going to be the matchup by process of elimination, but I think where is still not confirmed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu08 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:43 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:27 pm Week 4 - Penn State
Has the location of this game been confirmed anywhere yet? As far as I can see, neither us or PSU have posted our schedules yet. Clearly this is going to be the matchup by process of elimination, but I think where is still not confirmed.
I think they are trying to avoid teams having three straight home or away. If it was at PSU then we'd have three away games in a row. So yeah it's not official official yet but pretty certain it'll be at Homewood.

The party I was referencing earlier:

https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... 19-cluster

Maybe the football team is trying to sabotage lax because they're jealous, as they didn't get to have a season.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Good catch on that that would be 3 straight road games. Somehow I missed that!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Interesting wrinkle to this season: All 6 teams will make the conference tournament. Top 2 get a bye in the first round.

Basically, it doesn't matter what you do in the regular season (unless, of course, you want at-large bid consideration). You could go 0-10 but if you get hot and win 3 games in a row to end the year, you make the NCAA tourney. I don't totally get the reasoning for the change this year but it is what it is. We're guaranteed at least 11 games, pending cancellations.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Re: B1G. Memory may fail a bit. At one time there was talk about Loyola and Hop going to the ACC. I think it was the Wake Forest AD who said Hopkins would win an ACC title over his dead body. End of discussion.

B1G filled in a gap with Rutgers and Hopkins. Believe it was originally a five year contract with Hopkins having an opt out option that the B1G did not have. In other words they couldn’t kick Hop to the curb.

It was the right decision on so many levels but no o r expects the pandemic at the time
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Other pieces of that Hopkins covid letter don't sound very positive:

"A number of the students who tested positive are residing in Charles Commons, and many are student athletes. Those who tested positive and live in our residence halls have been transferred to isolation housing, and others are isolating in place off campus. During our pause in on-campus activities, we are taking several steps to confirm the scope of the cluster and to contain it:
Contact tracing is underway to help determine how this cluster occurred and to reduce its spread.
As many additional undergraduates will be tested as possible today and tomorrow.
All residents of Charles Commons will be ordered to self-quarantine and to be tested today.
All student athletes, whether living on or off campus, will be ordered to self-quarantine and to be tested today.
We are offering extra testing to Homewood and student housing staff."

More practice time gone

On the subject of DeSimone - at least it appears Milliman and Junior can see a duck and call it a duck whereas Petro and Benson apparently saw LIMU Emu
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:25 pm On the subject of DeSimone - at least it appears Milliman and Junior can see a duck and call it a duck whereas Petro and Benson apparently saw LIMU Emu
I LOLed at this. I watched most of the JHU Princeton 2020 game recently. One of the things that stood out to me, besides how it was horribly officiated, was Desimone actually had some shake, but JHU seemed to have no plan for when he beat his guy. He'd get a quick slide, but there was lots of standing around almost expecting Desimone to beat the slide as well. I hope the new staff can help him gain some confidence and figure out how to use him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-this was never going to be perfect. glad we got a schedule. would've been nice to do a virtual version of the media day they used to do w/the area d1 mens coaches before the season to hear about a variety of things. oh well. I thought wawa was killed years ago.
-if there's no fans, hope they get some band audio to play.
-road is btn and home is espn?
-6 team b1g presumably gives us an extra shot against a psu/osu/md team either in the tournament or competing for a slot. that's 7/11 games against tournament caliber opponents. my mind isn't smart enough to calculate rpi gymnastics but we should have a strong one if we are 500 or better.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:25 pm -6 team b1g presumably gives us an extra shot against a psu/osu/md team either in the tournament or competing for a slot. that's 7/11 games against tournament caliber opponents. my mind isn't smart enough to calculate rpi gymnastics but we should have a strong one if we are 500 or better.
There are no gymnastics to be done. RPI is a useless metric if a conference only plays itself. By definition, the Big Ten teams will achieve an average RPI of .500 across the conference. (And I'm pretty sure that in this case, RPI is only influenced by win percentage due to SoS and Opponent SoS being redundant, but I'll let those with PhDs in statistics check this statement before I declare it to be fact.)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not to mention it's going to be very difficult to finish .500 this year anyway. New staff, young team, no fall ball. Not trying to lower the bar as I do believe we will be very competitive but let's just look at the paths here:

This is far from a certainty but for speculative purposes I'll assume we go 0-4 vs. MD/PSU and 2-0 vs. Michigan.

So you're at 2-4. To get to 5-5, you need to go 3-1 vs. OSU/Rutgers. Since the start of the Big Ten in 2014, we're 4-4 against OSU, so going 2-0 against them this year seems a tad unlikely. We've had better success against Rutgers (except in 2016), but, still, going 2-0 against them is asking for a lot—especially since they will apparently be the second coming of Zim's undefeated 1984 squad if you ask their fans. I actually think we have a better chance of stealing one of the four MD/PSU games than we do winning three of the four OSU/Rut games. PSU won't be quite the same without Ament, and we seem to play well against the Terps pretty often, even in years we're clearly the underdog.

Go 1-3 vs. MD/PSU, 2-2 vs. OSU/Rut, 2-0 vs. Michigan, and you're at .500.

But then you've got to go 2-0 against Michigan. We've seen in recent years how close that game can be. Needing to beat them twice simply to have a decent shot at going .500 is not exactly ideal. If you go 1-1 with them then suddenly you have to either steal a second game from one of the top two teams or...we're back to having to go 3-1 vs. OSU/Rut.

Long story short...win on Feb. 20.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Covid 19 restrictions and impact (Big 10)

Northwestern had a very successful football season, beating Auburn in a Bowl. NU has Very high level academics, a very involved admin and very interested and loyal alumni.

The football team (with a squad size well over 80) had only one positive covid 19 test all season and that occurred after Christmas 2020. I think that one can conclude that team members, team coaches and a school admin that has set procedures and adheres to them, can probably be successful in limiting the impact of covid 19. I think that Hopkins can do the same. I don't think that the Ivy League followed the "science", or was interested in the activities of its students, or wanted to take the time and effort to come up with a solution. I think that the IL hid behind covid 19 as an excuse to do Nothing. :(

I very hopeful and excited for the upcoming JHU lacrosse season. I think that JHU will exceed expectations. Go Blue! :D
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Chitown wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:53 pm I don't think that the Ivy League followed the "science", or was interested in the activities of its students, or wanted to take the time and effort to come up with a solution. I think that the IL hid behind covid 19 as an excuse to do Nothing. :(

I very hopeful and excited for the upcoming JHU lacrosse season. I think that JHU will exceed expectations. Go Blue! :D
Agree with this! I will be routing for the Blue Jays this season. As an Ivy alum and fan very disappointed with their actions and/or inaction and lack of communication.

Glad to see some dates on the calendar!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:22 pm Re: B1G. Memory may fail a bit. At one time there was talk about Loyola and Hop going to the ACC. I think it was the Wake Forest AD who said Hopkins would win an ACC title over his dead body. End of discussion.

B1G filled in a gap with Rutgers and Hopkins. Believe it was originally a five year contract with Hopkins having an opt out option that the B1G did not have. In other words they couldn’t kick Hop to the curb.

It was the right decision on so many levels but no o r expects the pandemic at the time
Welcome back, OC.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Pretty reliable report that the program is shut down until next week at the earliest. Going to be tough to be ready for the 20th.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 pm Pretty reliable report that the program is shut down until next week at the earliest. Going to be tough to be ready for the 20th.
All this info is public BTW https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/messages-and- ... d-cluster/

The whole school has suspended all classes and in-person activities till Monday because of the cluster. I don't think it will last much longer than that but we'll see.

In some ways I wonder if this will prove to be a blessing in disguise that it happened now before the season started—and not in the middle of the season. I suppose another one can always happen but maybe students will take it more seriously now. I heard there are going to be severe punishments for those at the center of this, who appear to be football players.

This kind of thing is going to happen periodically across the country. The season won't be normal and there very likely will be cancellations. As long as we get some games in and watch some decent lacrosse again I'll call it a success and we can worry about putting a legit full season together in 2022.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the article said northwestern football had 170 people between coaches, staff, trainers, patrick ryans development concierge, and no positive tests and that's football in a school that's bigger than ours. this should not be a problem.

an outbreak the first week of school says they dropped the ball.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:49 pm the article said northwestern football had 170 people between coaches, staff, trainers, patrick ryans development concierge, and no positive tests and that's football in a school that's bigger than ours. this should not be a problem.

https://www.northwestern.edu/coronaviru ... dashboard/

Probably a better metric, given JHU was general population (football is not in season correct?). That being said, Northwestern still seems to have a pretty good model.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You all keep saying “cluster.”

Are you referring to:

Charlie Foxtrot
Charlie Foxtrot
64C5979F-B928-4274-B716-FABC0397B501.jpeg (149.69 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:49 pm the article said northwestern football had 170 people between coaches, staff, trainers, patrick ryans development concierge, and no positive tests and that's football in a school that's bigger than ours. this should not be a problem.

What Ct value did they use?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”