WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

A20076BB-35DC-4CEF-9AAA-6541E56472F8.gif
A20076BB-35DC-4CEF-9AAA-6541E56472F8.gif (18.94 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ok, here is something fun. Sounds like Malty has a good source because Cole is now listed as “Attack/Midfield” on the roster. A bunch of other positional changes:

- DeSo now an attackman
- Along with Cole, McDermott and Bauer both “A/M”
- Angelus at midfield
- Keogh and Hawley shed their “A/M” designation and are now just middies
- Harkin and Uphoff go from A to M
- Reinson and Rahm go from LSM to D
- Keneally and Deans go from D to LSM
- Your 2021 shorties: Mabbett, Handsor, Martin, Arteaga, Ince, to go along with the expected Glassmeyer, Lilly, and DiPietro

I would take the offensive changes with a grain of salt because what really matters is how much they see the field—not really what position they are technically labeled. We knew they’d be getting a bit creative in terms of who starts on “attack” vs. who comes out of the box as a “midfielder.”

Some thoughts:

- Connor on attack, where many of you and especially 51 over the years have said he really should be. I am quite intrigued by this and not in a bad way
- We’ve always known Cole can dodge from up top. He’s also fast and strong and can get back in transition if needed. Playing him at midfield makes some sense
- Size is no longer much of an issue at SSDM, but experience sure is
- Reinson at close D has made me wonder more than ever if the coaches are reading this board 🤔
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

And with all that, Grimes - he of playing M on the U19 team - stays at A.

Overall, seems to make a lot of sense to me. They clearly needed more M's. Now at least the A vs. M numbers make more sense and aren't overly weighted towards A. I like Connor at A. I like Cole playing up top more. I like Reinson at D (not sure I like Fernandez at D though). Mabbett is the only surprise at SSDM, at least to me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:39 am And with all that, Grimes - he of playing M on the U19 team - stays at A.

Overall, seems to make a lot of sense to me. They clearly needed more M's. Now at least the A vs. M numbers make more sense and aren't overly weighted towards A. I like Connor at A. I like Cole playing up top more. I like Reinson at D (not sure I like Fernandez at D though). Mabbett is the only surprise at SSDM, at least to me.
Forgot to mention that Fernandez indeed is now correctly listed at LSM, which always should have been the case—not sure why he was ever listed at D in the first place. Think that was just a mistake. Having said that, I don't know if we'll be seeing him at any position this year due to an injury.

I really have no clue but I suppose we could end up see something like:

A - Epstein, Grimes, DeSimone
M1 - Williams, Angelus, Zinn
M2 - Degnon, Keogh, Baskin, McDermott
LSM - Jaronski...not sure who else. Delaney? Fernandez when healthy
D - Szuluk, Lyne, McManus, Reinson
SSDM - Glassmeyer, TBD. 8 shorties on the roster, 1-2 of them have to have some game

Hoping to see the two Canadian middies (Raposo and Peshko) get mixed in as well.
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:05 am A20076BB-35DC-4CEF-9AAA-6541E56472F8.gif
punished for the west coast delay...
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:05 am A20076BB-35DC-4CEF-9AAA-6541E56472F8.gif
punished for the west coast delay...
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 am
nyjay wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:39 am And with all that, Grimes - he of playing M on the U19 team - stays at A.

Forgot to mention that Fernandez indeed is now correctly listed at LSM, which always should have been the case—not sure why he was ever listed at D in the first place. Think that was just a mistake. Having said that, I don't know if we'll be seeing him at any position this year due to an injury.

I really have no clue but I suppose we could end up see something like:

A - Epstein, Grimes, DeSimone
M1 - Williams, Angelus, Zinn
M2 - Degnon, Keogh, Baskin, McDermott
LSM - Jaronski...not sure who else. Delaney? Fernandez when healthy
D - Szuluk, Lyne, McManus, Reinson
SSDM - Glassmeyer, TBD. 8 shorties on the roster, 1-2 of them have to have some game

Hoping to see the two Canadian middies (Raposo and Peshko) get mixed in as well.
That's not an untalented team. Should be able to score some goals. Fernandez would be a big loss, including to the FO units. Fernandez and Hawley would be a great wing combo. The big Q's are still on D. Maybe Smith? Rodgers? Ruddy?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:39 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:33 pm this should've been fleshed out last summer when the b1g figured out football and the school should be communicating this through staff and news reports (respectfully) not fan blog correspondents.
Again, your issue is with the conference, not the school, and the reason they aren't communicating this publicly is because there is nothing to communicate. You will see a schedule soon. The holdup is on the conference's end. Do you think it's just a coincidence that no Big Ten schools have posted lacrosse schedules yet?
Sadly, this is a conference issue and the conference is run by the same guy that screwed up B1G football and made the entire conference look like morons but saying no season, then a season but 21 days off for positive player, you needed to play 6 games to make the championship game...oh, wait, that is all off because...checks notes...reasons. To think they would figure out how to let schools play an OOC lax schedule demonstrates how far in the sand the B1G administration head is. They make the DMV seem reasonable.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“ No Excuses — Adapt “
— Q
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I got a text - classes are suspended for two days. And that’s not for the weather. Not good.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:35 pm I got a text - classes are suspended for two days. And that’s not for the weather. Not good.
In-person activities suspended today and tomorrow due to a Covid cluster in one of the dorms (Charles Commons)

https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/messages-and- ... ctivities/
To ensure the safety of our community and Baltimore neighbors, we have decided to suspend in-person undergraduate classes on the Homewood campus and other in-person activities involving Homewood undergraduates for today and tomorrow, starting this morning, after detecting a cluster of COVID-19 among undergraduate students. At this time, we are seeing 30 undergraduates out of a population of 6,000 who tested positive in our COVID screening yesterday and today. Our preliminary investigation suggests the issue is associated with off-campus social gatherings over the weekend.

We are taking a quick and proactive approach to this moment, although our numbers are small relative to our total population, out of an abundance of caution and to provide the opportunity to reinforce our communications with undergraduates about COVID safety precautions. Our peers who operated successfully in-person in the fall have not seen cases of transmission in classrooms, and we have had the same experience in our research labs, but we believe this action is necessary to ensure that we can carry out the rest of the semester safely.
Not a good start to the semester but 30/6,000 tests is only a 0.5% positivity rate—they should be able to keep this from becoming a thing and then resume activities this weekend.

However, if this is the threshold for pausing all activity on campus then we might be in trouble because it'll probably happen again.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:35 pm I got a text - classes are suspended for two days. And that’s not for the weather. Not good.
-the irony of an anti social school having a corona issue. we're nerds, we sit on d level and study 7 days a week. we should be the one school in the country w/out this issue unless the kids today are ornier (WOMBATTER).
-that attack is all top 10 recruits. How many schools in the country have that.
-"talent"-again it's not just the groceries it's how they're cooked etc. I don't really remember if it was addressed last june but the may blowouts have been a concern and only the kids or parents really know why that was an annual thing and what milliman can do to change that.
-The attack on Rosemont is why we need better lacrosse coverage. We should be reading this in well written professionally sourced articles not getting it like about 90 percent of lacrosse news from fans w/sources. I don't think 99%of students or alumni know where Rosemont is or who Kevin Warren is and yet here we are.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:18 am
-"talent"
-again it's not just the groceries it's how they're cooked
:lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:18 am -the irony of an anti social school having a corona issue. we're nerds, we sit on d level and study 7 days a week. we should be the one school in the country w/out this issue unless the kids today are ornier (WOMBATTER).
Word is that the Covid cluster originated at a party at the football frat (Wawa). Wouldn't be surprised if some punishments were handed down. Hopkins is deadly serious about this as we all know. Honestly given the crackdown on Greek life over the last several years I'm shocked Wawa still exists. That place was kind of a cesspool. Not as bad as Pike though.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I haven't confirmed that, I thought wawa, pike and theta were killed off years ago.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:35 am I haven't confirmed that, I thought wawa, pike and theta were killed off years ago.
I don't think they are officially recognized anymore, but they still exist and, apparently, throw parties during pandemics. Basically every frat has either been sanctioned or suspended at some point in the last decade, I've lost track of where things stand now. Point is this mini outbreak appears to have started with football players who are probably sad and bored they didn't get to play this year. The lax team wasn't involved.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Hopkins at Maryland March 6th. They are only releasing first half of the schedule
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Week Five (March 20): Rutgers at Johns Hopkins.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Week 2 - Saturday, February 27, Hopkins at Michigan.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Week 1 - Ohio State
Week 2 - at Michigan
Week 3 - at Maryland
Week 4 - Penn State
Week 5 - Rutgers

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”