Maryland 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2019

Post by AreaLax »

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Of course, who the other trio on the starting offense is what will be of the greatest interest to Terp fans on Saturday.
I think A.DeMaio will be one of those next 3. I sort of expect that Tillman will go with experienced players to start the season like: Will Snider, Zawadzki, Dubick, ... , but might start using some of the new guys on the 2nd midfield like: Long, Coffman, Avanzato, ... . As the season goes on, some of these younger guys could bubble up, so that in April, we might end up seeing a different group of 3 to go with Bernhardt, Wisnauskas and Fairman.

The last time the Terps played Bucknell was back in 2006 on a cold, midweek night. Bucknell used a short-stick chaser to slow Joe Walters down, and took a lead into the 4th quarter. The Terps made an energetic effort to tie things up, only to get upended in ot 7-6.

Looking at the 2019 version of Bucknell, they appear to have lost their top 3 scorers to graduation, including All-American Will Sands (75pts). They return their goalie Klipstein, and FOman Witzal, who went to Landon like Shockey.

If Bucknell returned more of their offensive punch, I would be a little more worried about this game as the Terps are fitting in a number of new faces on the defense. Further, it is hard to see this game being as much of a slow down game as the 2006 version now that we have the shot clock.
Live Free or Die!
molo

Post by molo »

I remember that game well. A Bucknell middie scored the winning goal. It was pretty brisk on that turf field. I believe the year before that they played an afternoon game that I was lucky enough to see because my school had closed due to a water main break. Terps won that one easily.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Sun 'We reload': Despite losses, Maryland men’s lacrosse team still eyeing same lofty goals
Tillman said he is optimistic that junior attackman Steven Shollenberger and sophomore attackman James Avanzato will be able to bounce back from ACL injuries that forced them to sit out much of last season. “Both of those guys are close to being back to 100 percent, and both of those guys were starting to play for us last year,” he said. “They’re shaking off the rust right now, and they’re starting to play their way in.”
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Yawn... :lol:
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:43 am The Sun 'We reload': Despite losses, Maryland men’s lacrosse team still eyeing same lofty goals
Tillman said he is optimistic that junior attackman Steven Shollenberger and sophomore attackman James Avanzato will be able to bounce back from ACL injuries that forced them to sit out much of last season. “Both of those guys are close to being back to 100 percent, and both of those guys were starting to play for us last year,” he said. “They’re shaking off the rust right now, and they’re starting to play their way in.”
Sounds good !

Article in the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 6aebcb549f
Live Free or Die!
molo

Post by molo »

The caliber of athlete playing for Maryland is a major factor in separating them from the pack. With the injury to Smith, I would rate them a little above Duke for the moment. I've been burned before dissing the Ivy League, but now I would rank Maryland, Yale, and Duke one, two. three.
molo

Post by molo »

The way the Utah and St. Bonnie's games have gone, it appears that the shot clock era will not be kind to underdogs. While Maryland has played slow ball in the past, the Terps will up the tempo under the new rules. Bison could be in for a long day.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Maryland up 3-1 near the end of the first.
Goals by Zawadzki, A.DeMaio, and Wisnauskas.
btn2go is really dropping the ball hear, all I am getting is "Your event is starting soon". :evil:
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

5-3 at half. Puglise added a goal.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Maryland up 9-4 end of 3rd
Wisnauskas is apparently having a big game with 4 goals and an assist
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Maryland wins 11-6.
I have to say that I am rather upset at BTN having technical issues and not showing the game.
Ch-ching, they still have got my money
Hopefully, they do a better job next weekend. :evil:
Live Free or Die!
molo

Post by molo »

I heard the first quarter on the radio. Is Bucknell better than I thought or is Maryland not as good as I thought?
Rogosho

Post by Rogosho »

Maryland looked sloppy. A lot of dropped passes, clears were just painful to watch. Some great individual efforts on offense. Defense and F/O looked more cohesive. Looked like Tillman is still experimenting with rotations. Louis and Bubba trading in and out for each other. Happy with the defense, but the offense appeared to have some trouble finding rhythm, and were more reliant on sheer athleticism.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wisnauskas had a big day with 4 goals. While Bernhardt and A. DeMaio each had 2 and Bubba had an assist. Bernhardt did a dive but the goal waved off. Henningsen took the first half and Shockey played the 2nd half. Looks like the 3rd FO guy would be Janeck. He is also running SSDM. Makar started at close D, however in the 3rd Qter you saw O’Connell playing close D for Welding, but then O’Connell would be back to playing SSDM. 2nd Midfield started with A. DeMaio, Masci, with either Brickerd or Long.

Dolan had a slow start with a strong 2nd half.

All in all Tillman was playing lots of other guys.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dolan starting.
Had forgotten Dolan tranferred in from UMass.

At one point UMass had Dolan, Sean Sconone - a good one, and DJ Smith - starter a couple years back, all on the UMass roster.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I forgot that Dan Nolan transferred to Maryland.Nice young man.Pleased he's getting an opportunity to prove himself.

May just be my imagination but has UMASS lost a lot of players over the past 3-4 years?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Press conference after Bucknell game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql3l1fKSQTk
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”