Unless a meteor hits.
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nyjay »

which, tbh, wouldn't be all that surprising at this point
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Some potential candidates aside from Epstein, Kirson, Williams, and Prouty...

Degnon - had 11 goals through 6 games on 38% shooting in a bad offense while playing second midfield, was on pace for 28 goals in a normal ~15-game season, if he's bumped up to first midfield and keeps shooting it north of 35% and the offense has even marginal improvement you're looking at something like 35+ goals out of the midfield...that is already AA territory without even considering the possibility the player himself could get better and add new wrinkles to his game. If you can't tell I'm high on Degnon—guys who make the "sophomore leap" like he did tend to go on to have pretty good careers

Zinn - if he ever figures out how to shoot he'd be unstoppable

Angelus - probably not going to get enough touches (at least not this year) to get into the AA conversation but on the limited touches he did get as a freshman it seemed like he was either scoring or assisting on a goal basically every time he got the rock—extrapolate that to a full season as an actual starter you've got something

I think Grimes, McDermott, and Smith will all end up in the AA discussion before their time at Homewood is over but it's a tad early to carve that in stone. RE: Smith, he appeared at practice in the Junior mic'd up video so it appears my concerns about a potential injury were unwarranted but there were a few guys on the sidelines not participating and at least one of them was on crutches
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Going a little bit deeper - I'm actually pretty high on Reinson. He had some great moments as a freshman, but then seemed to regress - afraid to make a mistake, thinking rather than playing, etc. I think he has a pretty high ceiling. Jaronski has some talent too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm Going a little bit deeper - I'm actually pretty high on Reinson. He had some great moments as a freshman, but then seemed to regress - afraid to make a mistake, thinking rather than playing, etc. I think he has a pretty high ceiling. Jaronski has some talent too.
His caused turnover and GB behind the goal against Maryland in the 3OT game at Homewood in 2018 was otherworldly. Since then, I agree, he hasn't looked the same. I think he's been playing out of position—I'd have him at close instead of LSM. But I suppose Petro knows better than I.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

For those who like to read very closely into things, the team posted a clip to Instagram of what looks like live action, and Szuluk is covering Epstein (well, trying to anyway). If that kid stays healthy I think a lot of prognosticators are going to have some egg on their faces.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:34 pm For those who like to read very closely into things, the team posted a clip to Instagram of what looks like live action, and Szuluk is covering Epstein (well, trying to anyway). If that kid stays healthy I think a lot of prognosticators are going to have some egg on their faces.
I’ll take the Epstein snub. I hope it turns into a real motivator for him.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Does anyone know if Owen Murphy found a home? I know he went in the transfer portal a month or so ago.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Having said that, yeah, Epstein is deserving but we don't have anyone else who is so they got that part right. Maybe Prouty or even Degnon as an HM but that's about it (the inclusion of the Yale middie on HM who had 5 pts last year was bizarre).

More fuel for the fire. Hopkins typically enters the season with everyone complaining about how overrated they are—don't see that happening this year. Hopefully the underdog role suits them because they other one sure didn't.
Cole Williams?
Healthy Epstein is a top ten attackman.

Williams is actually underrated with a overall game that is not fully appreciated. Commentators see a big, strong, fast ,skilled athlete toy with defenders at times n criticize why not every week . Another critique is his perceived effort which is bs , he's always been a team player , watch him rundown plays unlike some others. Id take that horse any day. Was a Petro supporter but why he didnt have Williams on man up was perplexing .
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:36 am Does anyone know if Owen Murphy found a home? I know he went in the transfer portal a month or so ago.
I’ve heard Rutgers was a possible destination.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I figured Loyola would be in the mix given his younger brother just committed there. But it's a little late for transfers—my guess is at this point he'll resurface somewhere in the fall.

Denver is down 12 guys today in their opener against Utah (including a starting D and middie), combo of injuries and illness. Prepare to see a lot of that this year. I know it makes some squeamish but the bigger the roster/the more depth you have is going to be an advantage in 2021. Next year we can think about getting back down to a reasonable number but for now I think you want to give yourself as many options at each position as you can.
Malty

Post by Malty »

stupefied wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:50 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Having said that, yeah, Epstein is deserving but we don't have anyone else who is so they got that part right. Maybe Prouty or even Degnon as an HM but that's about it (the inclusion of the Yale middie on HM who had 5 pts last year was bizarre).

More fuel for the fire. Hopkins typically enters the season with everyone complaining about how overrated they are—don't see that happening this year. Hopefully the underdog role suits them because they other one sure didn't.
Cole Williams?
Healthy Epstein is a top ten attackman.

Williams is actually underrated with a overall game that is not fully appreciated. Commentators see a big, strong, fast ,skilled athlete toy with defenders at times n criticize why not every week . Another critique is his perceived effort which is bs , he's always been a team player , watch him rundown plays unlike some others. Id take that horse any day. Was a Petro supporter but why he didnt have Williams on man up was perplexing .
I heard Cole was going to play midfield
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

quint leaves us off his top 20. Rutgers is 15. Not on the milliman hype train and a bunch of elbows thrown at big 10 not letting schools play out of conference.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 am quint leaves us off his top 20. Rutgers is 15. Not on the milliman hype train and a bunch of elbows thrown at big 10 not letting schools play out of conference.
That top 20 is performance art. The Quintiest thing Quint has ever Quinted.

His #17-20 are astounding: Marist, UMBC, Bryant, High Point. Bryant lost to Dartmouth last year. High Point was 2-6.

He's just trolling at this point.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 am quint leaves us off his top 20. Rutgers is 15. Not on the milliman hype train and a bunch of elbows thrown at big 10 not letting schools play out of conference.

His #17-20 are astounding: Marist, UMBC, Bryant, High Point. Bryant lost to Dartmouth last year. High Point was 2-6.

maybe now that medical juggernaut SEC football conference has managed to play one football season and release a schedule for a second the worlds leading medical institution can release a lacrosse schedule.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 am

You will also notice Quint calls out Bryant for their roster of 60 but ignores Denver’s 67. I’m sure who are the head coaches have nothing to do with that. Quint just being the usual dbag that he is.
molo

Post by molo »

I agree that Bryant, UMBC, and Marist as well as possibly HPU aren’t better than Hopkins. Is this Q’s way of saying that lack of talent is as much of an issue as coaching? Realistically, where would you rank this year’s team? Maybe in the 10 to 15 range, or are there too many questions?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:04 pm I agree that Bryant, UMBC, and Marist as well as possibly HPU aren’t better than Hopkins. Is this Q’s way of saying that lack of talent is as much of an issue as coaching? Realistically, where would you rank this year’s team? Maybe in the 10 to 15 range, or are there too many questions?
I genuinely think he's just trying to ruffle feathers. Even if talent is an issue, you can't possible believe Bryant is more talented. He's trolling.

Way too many questions for top 10. I think 15 is defensible based on Epstein's return to health, the addition of a legit goalie, and the recent track record of the new coaching staff. I won't fight you if you think they don't deserve to be in the top 20, so long as you actually rank good teams instead...not Bryant and High Point.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:04 pm I agree that Bryant, UMBC, and Marist as well as possibly HPU aren’t better than Hopkins. Is this Q’s way of saying that lack of talent is as much of an issue as coaching? Realistically, where would you rank this year’s team? Maybe in the 10 to 15 range, or are there too many questions?
with no ivy, one win over psu/osu/benson u and we'll be back in the top 10.
molo

Post by molo »

I agree that there is certainly room for advancement. Q has a couple of PL teams ranked fairly high. Are they that much better than Hopkins? Both the teams that I follow most closely jettisoned coaches who had presided over declines towards the end of their tenure. At UVA, the new coach had one year of no playoffs, made the playoffs the next year. losing in the first round in a marathon delayed by rain, and won the NC the following year. This year, they are ranked in the top ten by most and in the top four by some. Clearly, the new coach in a period of a couple of years has restored a once proud program to it "rightful" level. Whether or not they make the ff this year, they have at least emerged as a serious contender after being the ACC doormat under the former coach.
Can Hopkins get back into the top ten this year? Making the NCAAT should not be an unrealistic expectation given that the Ivy League is probably out. Are the Jays in a class with the ACC, Maryland, Penn State, and Denver? Maybe not. Should they be better than the PL and the SO Con teams that Q has ranked above them?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”