Yale 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Tdemling6

Re: Yale 2021

Post by Tdemling6 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 pm I do not begrudge the kid for wanting to play. In general I'm in favor of letting these kids basically...do what they want. The rules should be created to benefit the student-athletes, not the schools. If he wants to transfer, let him.

But man, there is just something real dubious about parachuting in, literally in the middle of a season, to play for just a handful of games while all of your teammates back home aren't afforded the same luxury. When the news of his potential transfer first broke I assumed he'd find a way to get to a new school at least before the season started. But apparently it won't be for a month or two. Playing out half a season at one school while completing your degree at another is probably something that should not be possible, but again I don't really fault TD for taking advantage of a loophole that's presented to him.
Denver was the one school I thought of when I first head he was in the portal. I'm not sure what schools have started yet and would still allow transfers, but Denver being on a trimester schedule gives him a chance to transfer in mid-March at the beginning of the fourth trimester of the year. If you remember, Denver had a player a few years ago, the name escapes me, that played the first half of the season and then was rules in-elgiable for that second half of the season due to that calendar. Things work a little different out there, which can be good and bad.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:03 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 pm I do not begrudge the kid for wanting to play. In general I'm in favor of letting these kids basically...do what they want. The rules should be created to benefit the student-athletes, not the schools. If he wants to transfer, let him.

But man, there is just something real dubious about parachuting in, literally in the middle of a season, to play for just a handful of games while all of your teammates back home aren't afforded the same luxury. When the news of his potential transfer first broke I assumed he'd find a way to get to a new school at least before the season started. But apparently it won't be for a month or two. Playing out half a season at one school while completing your degree at another is probably something that should not be possible, but again I don't really fault TD for taking advantage of a loophole that's presented to him.
Denver was the one school I thought of when I first head he was in the portal. I'm not sure what schools have started yet and would still allow transfers, but Denver being on a trimester schedule gives him a chance to transfer in mid-March at the beginning of the fourth trimester of the year. If you remember, Denver had a player a few years ago, the name escapes me, that played the first half of the season and then was rules in-elgiable for that second half of the season due to that calendar. Things work a little different out there, which can be good and bad.
"Fourth trimester"? Aren't there only three?

In any event, showing up for only 1/3 or 1/4 of a school year is still deeply strange. That he's doing what's available to him to play this season is fine with me—I just think it's silly that it's possible at all.
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

[/quote]

In any event, showing up for only 1/3 or 1/4 of a school year is still deeply strange. That he's doing what's available to him to play this season is fine with me—I just think it's silly that it's possible at all.
[/quote]

Denver does not operate on a trimester. It operates on a quarterly school year. Quarters, not thirds.

"At the University of Denver, we operate on the quarter system. The school year is split into four quarters, with students only required to take 3 of the quarters per year, the fourth being summer quarter."
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I agree with everything said above... well, almost everything, because "loophole" seems not quite to capture just how bizarre this is. Okay, I'm being pedantic. It was fun to have TD on board in 2019. I can't help but think that this repo-transfer business (and yes, I agree with "real dubious") is a pretty clear indication that the Yale men won't have a competitive 2021 season. Seems to me that going pro while finishing his degree at Yale would have been more straightforward and understandable; but then, the way this pandemic has been handled by the NCAA seems to have opened some very strange doors... and if the powers that be accept this, I can't fault TD. I wish we were talking here about midfield lines, competition to join Brandau in attack and so forth, but it's looking like Eli fans will have to wait longer than other fans for this sort of discussion. Oh well....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

gunnerz wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:57 pm

[/quote]

Denver does not operate on a trimester. It operates on a quarterly school year. Quarters, not thirds.

"At the University of Denver, we operate on the quarter system. The school year is split into four quarters, with students only required to take 3 of the quarters per year, the fourth being summer quarter."
[/quote]

Same at Dartmouth. 3 courses per term, though I took 4 once.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

This US Lax Mag piece is much more interesting than I'd expected. Yes, it is based on Yale's #8 pre-season ranking, but it is also very cognizant of the fact that the Ivy may well not have a 2021 season: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... 8-yale-men
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:19 pm And that’s all she wrote!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/57220
I am sure it is beyond frustrating for the players that they still did not have clarity by the re-enrollment date of February 1. Even with the real uncertainty from the effects of the UK and South Africa variants, and understanding (I think) many of the challenges for the university administrators, I am frustrated and have a hard time understanding why and how the Ivy League presidents could not make a decision themselves by February 1. I don't think it's fair to have made the players effectively cancel their own season via their enrollment decisions.

Again, to be clear: I can understand and support a decision by the presidents not to have the campus business as usual, and not to give special on-campus waivers for athletes when other students cannot be there. But the Presidents' delaying on a decision beyond the semester enrollment point, even with the very real uncertainties of the public health situation, is not very defensible to me.

On the bright side, the fact that so many of the guys on the team want to stay Bulldogs and keep playing for Coach Shay, and took the spring semester off to ensure it, speaks well of Coach Shay and these players. Thinking of all of them -- today is a tough day for them.
calourie

Post by calourie »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:14 pm
Lax3 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:19 pm And that’s all she wrote!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/57220
I am sure it is beyond frustrating for the players that they still did not have clarity by the re-enrollment date of February 1. Even with the real uncertainty from the effects of the UK and South Africa variants, and understanding (I think) many of the challenges for the university administrators, I am frustrated and have a hard time understanding why and how the Ivy League presidents could not make a decision themselves by February 1. I don't think it's fair to have made the players effectively cancel their own season via their enrollment decisions.

Again, to be clear: I can understand and support a decision by the presidents not to have the campus business as usual, and not to give special on-campus waivers for athletes when other students cannot be there. But the Presidents' delaying on a decision beyond the semester enrollment point, even with the very real uncertainties of the public health situation, is not very defensible to me.

On the bright side, the fact that so many of the guys on the team want to stay Bulldogs and keep playing for Coach Shay, and took the spring semester off to ensure it, speaks well of Coach Shay and these players. Thinking of all of them -- today is a tough day for them.
Here are the words from coach Shay, now that it is public:

I want you to hear this from me before it comes out in the media. I'm writing to let you know that we will not be having a season in 2021. The team had to choose to enroll and quarantine on February 1, and unfortunately, they were not certain that they would be able to play. Since they all want at least one more guaranteed season in a Yale Lacrosse jersey, the overwhelming majority decided not to challenge it. They have been incredibly resilient through this entire process, and I could not be more proud of their response.

TD Ierlan will still graduate from Yale, but play his last season at Denver. The college is allowing him to transfer credits back. You should know that I pressed him to do this. He would have enrolled here and attempted to play here if we had 10 guys available. A player of his caliber and character deserves another shot at a title. He has done so much for this program, and I would ask you to support him in this decision.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Thanks, calourie. It says a lot about Coach Shay that he wants people to know that TD goes to Denver with the blessing of the team and coaching staff. I watched the first DU game this past weekend -- looks like they could use a boost at the X. Thanks to TD for all he gave to Yale lacrosse. I am very glad that he will graduate with a Yale degree.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Nice message from Shay. In my experience the people criticizing TD's decision are not actually Yale fans, but rather fans of other teams who are probably jealous TD didn't transfer to them instead. Yale alums seem to be generally supportive and understanding of the situation.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:24 pm Nice message from Shay. In my experience the people criticizing TD's decision are not actually Yale fans, but rather fans of other teams who are probably jealous TD didn't transfer to them instead. Yale alums seem to be generally supportive and understanding of the situation.
I agree, HopFan16. Well said. I think there is a category of genuine curiosity that you can transfer credits back to still get the degree from the prior institution, but with the unprecedented circumstances I'm very glad Yale and Denver are both allowing it.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The handwriting was on the wall for a while, and now we know. Yes, good message from Shay. It will be worth the wait to see those 2018 freshmen again in Yale colors. Wishing TD, JMo, Lucas and Brian Ward all the best this season.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Serious kudos to Shay for coming out with this and for the incredible support that he shows these kids. It is not clear that the entire athletic department knows how critical Shay is to all of this, but for those who have had the chance to follow it closely there is no doubt who drives the culture and who the kids will walk through fire for. Kudos to him.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Andy Shay is a class act.

He is doing his best to help his players achieve their dreams, even when his own University doesn't believe in playing lacrosse this year.

This defense of Irelan's transfer decision really helps to mitigate the mercenary perception that some might hold of Irelan.

Very impressive -- and beyond the call of duty.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Denver....the Yale of the West
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looked into Yale's current Covid adaptations (as of Feb.1) and among a broad range of restrictions both social and academic is included no sanctioned university events which involve high aerosolization activities singling out "singing, woodwinds/brass, vigorous exercise". This last restriction obviously rules out spring athletics with the questions for lacrosse being when will the conditions be such that these restrictions will be lifted, and what options do students wishing to have the full Yale experience including such events as actual classes and extracurricular endeavors such as athletics have in foregoing enrollment until such an experience is available. I would imagine Yale will be pretty adaptable in that regard given the cost of attending, but I suppose we will just have t wait and see. The other issue affecting the lacrosse program is of course how impatient those involved in lacrosse are in getting on with their lives which I imagine will result in some attrition among those recruited to be part of the program.

With a good bit of effort and probably some luck on the part of many (and not just those associated with the University) the conditions for a return to normalcy will hopefully be sufficiently in evidence by summer's end to get a good fix on the prospects for a 2022 season. If normalcy becomes the case I will be paying a great deal of attention to what the roster looks like and what the grade level status of the returners will be. I would imagine there would be a number of very talented and motivated lacrosse players on that list. Fingers crossed.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

It is my hope that the current rosters of their sports teams transfer out and any incoming recruits think twice, giving Yale and their "sister" schools the same lack of respect the SA's got.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”