High Point

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

High Point

Post by Matnum PI »

After Building From Scratch, How High Can Jon Torpey Take High Point?

When Jon Torpey left his position as associate head coach at Dartmouth to take on the challenge that awaited him at High Point, he was regarded as one of the best young coaches in the game. He had proven himself as an assistant, becoming the youngest associate head coach in DI when he was elevated to the title in 2006 at Denver. And upon his arrival at High Point, he once again began one of the youngest to hold a head coaching job in college lacrosse.

Eight seasons into his tenure at High Point, it is pretty safe to say that Jon Torpey has shown his ability to build a program, nonetheless a successful one, from scratch. From taking the Panthers to the NCAA Tournament in just their third season as a program to the constant fear that seeing High Point on the schedule puts into the eyes of ACC opponents, as the Panthers have upset Virginia twice (2016,2019) and Duke once (2019), and the only having two losing seasons in seven fulls seasons.

On a macro level, it looks like Torpey has and continues to do on heck of a job building High Point into not only a SoCon power, but a highly-respected mid-major. But when you start to dig deeper, you can really see the growth, especially over the past few full seasons, but you also see just how up and down things have been at times on both ends of the field.

In their seven full seasons, the Panthers have ranked 4th (2019), 19th (2018), 53rd (2017), 25th (2016), 21st (2015), 36th (2014), and 56th (2013) in scoring offense. During the shortened 2020 season, where they played eight games, they ranked 36th. While the Panthers have had some seasons where their offense has dipped, steady improvement over two or three seasons and occasional sizable been a constant theme since the program’s inception.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the field, things have been a little more consistent and included less major leaps. The Panthers have ranked 33rd (2019), 57th (2018), 48th (2017), 45th (2016), 24th (2015), 22nd (2014), 61st (2013) in scoring defense during their seven full seasons. They were tied for 71st when the 2020 season was cancelled.

One of the only things that has stayed pretty consistent throughout the program’s eight seasons of play is their team shooting percentage. Outside of their first year, it hasn’t ventured below .275 and has remained right around the .300 mark.

Last season, the Panthers seemed to regress a bit after a stellar 13-win 2019 campaign. Through eight games, they were sitting at 2-6 and all their losses had come by an average of 7.2 goals per game. But if this trend of dropping and rising every two to three seasons isn’t just mere coincidence, things could be going up for the Panthers in 2021.

Offensively, it’s hard not to get excited about what could be on the horizon for the Panthers in 2021. They return their entire attack unit, which accounted for 39% of their offensive production last season. A senior, Asher Nolting (11G/22A) looks to be the leader of the offense once again. He has been their go to guy since he stepped foot on campus as a freshman and can make some electric plays each time he steps on the field. Tyler Hendricks (14G/2A) and Devon Buckshot (12G/2A) each found their way into the starting lineup at different points last season as a freshman and redshirt freshman. The two showed some serious flashes and could be complete game changers for this offense in the years to come.

At midfield, Dalvon Sulver (10G/2A), who is the Panthers’ best shooter at the position, will be back for an extra season. Junior Hunter Vines (6G/3A) and senior Koby Russell (5G/4A) will both be back and should take on greater roles after starting in the majority of games last season. The Panthers bring back a host of other role players at the midfield spot that will be in the rotation and certainly make some headway.

However, it’s pretty safe to assume that the attack will do most of the heavy lifting again in 2021, and that the ball will be in Nolting’s stick almost every possession. For High Point’s sake, hopefully he can decrease his turnover rate again after being on track to do so during the shortened 2020 season.

Defensively, the Panthers need drastic improvement, and it starts with Parker Green in cage. The Memphis, Tenn., native stepped in between the pipes as a freshman starter last season and fill the hole left by the graduation of Tim Troutner Jr. That is not easy at all. He made 88 saves and posted a save percentage of .456. He should only get better.

But as usual, most goalies can only be as good as the guys in front of him. And if a defense continuously leaves their goaltender out to dry, not many good things usually happen. Sequences like that certainly took place on the back end for High Point last season.

Senior Clayton Krol (15GB/11CT) is the Panthers’ top returning pole. Senior PJ Peters could step into a full time starting role at close this season after putting together a solid 2020 campaign. And at the defensive midfield spot, Trey Smith looks to lead that unit again in 2021.

At the faceoff dot, they will have Davis Sampere back for a fifth season as well as sophomore Collin Hoben. Sampere served as their primary guy last season, going 56-for-116 (48%), while Hoben served as the backup and went 48-for-86 (54%). If the Panthers’ defense can’t put it together in 2021 and they churn out another low performing season, the success the Panthers can have at the faceoff dot will be ever crucial.

And if they are able to put it together and that offense starts flowing like we’ve seen it do before, it could be another exciting, and possibly historic, season for High Point.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Re: High Point

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

No love for M Kevin Rogers DIII Player of the Year a grad transfer from Lynchburg? Guess they wanted to feature home grown players.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

That is odd. Maybe we missed it. Or it's still coming...

Kevin Rogers
Caddy Day
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No.
That was acknowledged as a coup for High Point.

Just, there were still some big fish out there
when that transfer was announced.
Zonesurgeon

Post by Zonesurgeon »

Seahawk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 pm No love for M Kevin Rogers DIII Player of the Year a grad transfer from Lynchburg? Guess they wanted to feature home grown players.
Kevin Rogers will make is presence felt in that midfield unit rather quickly should the season happen. As a big, athletic body with a very high lacrosse IQ, he will be able to stretch the defense opposite the attack on one of the top midfield lines. Additionally, his 3 years and change of top quality DIII lacrosse will give him a leg up on the vast majority of Freshman and Sophomores on the team who are still adjusting to the college game.
Laxfandad

Post by Laxfandad »

Huge Coup! High Point just landed 2021 Isiah Moran-Weekes (Lefty Attack) who was previously verballed to Towson.
The kid is a gritty Canadian who was drafted 2nd Overall in OJALL to Mimico. Has been on a bunch of Team Ontario teams, and led his Midget team to the Gold Medal in Box at Summer games. Panther Nation Baby!!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

A letter to incoming class of ‘21
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHa6nkUHzV ... exrrw1q2ut
jakester

Post by jakester »

Anyone see the scrimmage against Mount Olive?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Is there a way to watch the Highpoint game tomorrow?
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Surfs_Up wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:13 pm Is there a way to watch the Highpoint game tomorrow?
No. It's a scrimmage.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Nolting reminds me of John Grant Jr.

https://fanlax.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... uZ8osr.mp4
Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

The commentators go on to say that an unorthodox shot like that comes from a different angle and is delivered in such a different way that it makes it difficult for a goalie to read, more so than if the players switches to his left to deliver that shot. While I'd never argue that being able to go with both hands doesn't have its benefits, I do believe that too big of a deal is made of it. Watch a lot of the NAs and Canadian box players who are pretty much one handed, they deliver some darn incredible shots, are innovative and creative, and do indeed fool a lot GKs with their "unorthodox" style of play/way of shooting. I'll take one of those one handed box boys on my team any day.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

i think that's the similarity. Two big bodies with a box style of play.
Caddy Day
bananas

Post by bananas »

Nolting n Mayea had their way agaisnt UNC close D which left me reassessing tar heels vs other acc squads

HP mid Rogers has had no problem transitioning to higher comp. Good player

High Point - UNC game was certainly entertaining if you like offense. Shame that HP fell behind by so much but that rally was impressive.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HP also starred out 4-1 so it was a 14-4 run through the middle of the game which did it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CC10

Post by CC10 »

anyone else notice Gray being a little chippy out there, first, a high shot to the head for a penalty, then moments later an interference call but seemed to deliberately step on the HP players neck/back when he fell. Don't mind tough/ aggressive play but....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Looks like HP-Bellarmine postponed.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”