Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

@DMac ~ don't skimp on the Tzatziki sauce when serving the lamb dish. Tastes real good esp with toasty pita bread. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:37 pm @DMac ~ don't skimp on the Tzatziki sauce when serving the lamb dish. Tastes real good esp with toasty pita bread. :D
Thanks for the tip.
In the fridge waiting to be put on tonight's lamb burger.
:D
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Looks good. Nice service tray should add to the table's decor. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:37 pm @DMac ~ don't skimp on the Tzatziki sauce when serving the lamb dish. Tastes real good esp with toasty pita bread. :D
+1, Tzatzki is always a gamechanger!

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 pm Am taking your advice, Brook, just ate some of those lamb chops, baked potato (sour cream, of course), fresh spinach....crazy good! No sensimilia (Chuckles appetizer though...50 mg :mrgreen: )
Never screwed around with lamb until not all that long ago. Don't remember ever having it at home growing up, somehow it's pretty much escaped me. Not as if I never had it (had some while in Greece) just never became something I thought about when thinking about things/meals to make. Stuff is from the gods. Cooked 'em in garlic butter (couple of cut up garlic cloves heated up with the butter, then removed), salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme on the chops (seasoned well in advance and brought to room temp long before cooking....gotta love that part, eh, Mr secreta?). Mighty tasty is really understating it.
There were four packs of those 50% lambie chops, grabbed all four of them. Then felt a little gluttonous/guilty, thought I should let someone else enjoy some too, put two back. I really phucked up, damn! ;)
Game theory Dmac. Always take all because you don’t know what the other person will do and they also lack visibility so they are likely to take all if given the chance. In other words, shouldn’t have put any back!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Detroit pizza?

By Mike Colias in Detroit and Annie Gasparro in Chicago
Jan. 28, 2021 12:04 pm ET
SAVE
TEXT
107 RESPONSES

This week, Pizza Hut launched its new Detroit-style pizza.

There’s just one problem: A lot of people have no clue what that is.

“Detroit style? I’ve never heard of it,” said Mike Zurek, 70, who has lived in Chicago nearly all his life. For him, there is only one deep-dish pizza: Chicago style. “But every place has its way of making it unique.”

Goes with Faygo
Even some Detroiters are a bit puzzled. Karen Gunderson stopped by a Pizza Hut in suburban Detroit this week to pick up a stuffed-crust pie. She had seen on the news that the pizza-making chain was rolling out a Detroit-style version but wasn’t quite sure what to make of it.

“I’m not really familiar with Detroit style,” said Ms. Gunderson, 72, who grew up in the area and has lived there most of her life. She is open to trying Pizza Hut’s newest creation, and hopes it’s as good as its signature stuffed crust.

Despite the fuzziness around the Detroit-style concept, Pizza Hut’s bet is the latest sign that the Motor City’s contribution to the Italian flatbread staple is having its moment.

Pizza Hut’s Detroit-style pizza.
PHOTO: PIZZA HUT

The key attributes have endured since the pie’s creation just after World War II: A square or rectangular pan pizza with Wisconsin brick cheese spread to the rim, giving the edges of the crust a slightly charred, caramelized taste, but leaving it light and airy in the middle. Tomato sauce is dolloped on top, rather than beneath the cheese.

The style is credited to immigrant Gus Guerra and his wife, Anna, who took a square, steel tray used on automotive assembly lines to create a deep-dish pizza at his east-side bar, Buddy’s Rendezvous, in 1946. That evolved into Buddy’s Pizza, which today operates 19 restaurants in Michigan. Mr. Guerra eventually sold the original Buddy’s and bought the Cloverleaf Bar & Restaurant, which remains another Detroit-style staple with multiple locations in Michigan.

The original kitchen staff at Buddy’s with a Detroit-style pizza.
PHOTO: BUDDY'S
Burton Heiss, chief executive of Buddy’s, wasn’t surprised by Pizza Hut’s move into Detroit style. But he still sees room for his chain to expand outside Michigan, where he acknowledges the square pie is a curiosity.

“I talk to people all the time who have no idea what it is,” Mr. Heiss says.

Detroit-style pizza enthusiasts have tried to wedge their way into the long-running feud between New York and Chicago over whose pie reigns supreme. Debates among advocates of New York’s thin-crust, floppy, foldable triangles and Chicago’s rich, sweet deep-dish pies get heated—comedian Jon Stewart in a famous 3-minute rant once called Chicago’s version “tomato soup in a bread bowl.”

In trendy foodie neighborhoods from Brooklyn to Los Angeles, Detroit-style pizzerias have popped up in recent years. Jet’s Pizza, a Detroit-style pizza chain based in Michigan, now counts New York, Austin, Texas, and Phoenix among its locations.

The rise of this Motor City-forged doughy creation has coincided with the emergence of a bustling food scene in downtown Detroit, and the city’s budding reputation as a scrappy symbol of urban revival, exported by brands such as watchmaker Shinola.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
What’s your favorite regional pizza style? Join the conversation below.

Pizza Hut was started in 1958 in Wichita, Kan. Fast production and low prices helped it rapidly grow.

As competition for pizza delivery increased in the 1970s, it sought to differentiate itself with the debut of its Original Pan Pizza, a top seller for roughly 40 years. The pizza is round and the crust can be stuffed with cheese.

“The Detroit-style trend is something we’ve seen rise across the country,” said Pizza Hut’s Chief Brand Officer David Graves. “We get that some may not be as familiar with this style of pizza yet.” That’s why the company features a diagram of the pizza on the box, explaining that the cheese goes all the way to the edges and adding this tip: “go for the corner pieces.”

Pizza Hut’s Detroit-style pizza comes in a box describing what's inside.
PHOTO: SUSAN SELASKY/DETROIT FREE PRESS

Mr. Graves said he thinks Detroit style can stand up against Chicago and New York pizza. “Those pizzas may be more well-known, but Detroit style can be the same. Everyone just needs a chance to try it.”

The chain said it spent over a year trying eight versions of tomato sauce and more than 500 recipes in all, testing several in Midwestern stores.

Michigan is home to two of the nation’s three biggest pizza chains by sales: Domino’s Pizza Inc., based in Ann Arbor, and Detroit-based Little Caesar Enterprises Inc., according to trade publication Pizza Today.

Domino’s has yet to make a Detroit-style pizza. “While our Pan Pizza also takes the sauce and cheese all the way to the edge, it’s round and not square,” a spokesman said. “So we don’t consider ours to be Detroit style, nor do we call it that. We just call it delicious.”

Little Caesars Detroit-style Deep! Deep! Dish Pizza.
PHOTO: LITTLE CAESARS
Little Caesars Pizza, whose original pizzas are round pies, has been selling a Detroit-style pie since 2013, when it came out with what it calls the Deep! Deep! Dish. “It’s been a big success,” a spokeswoman said. “As a Detroit company though-and-through, we are full of hometown pride.”

Since 1946, Buddy’s has been serving Detroit-style pizza at its original location in Detroit.

The ‘Motown Museum’ pizza at Buddy’s in Detroit.
PHOTO: MARVIN SHAOUNI FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL(2)
Ian Thibodeau, a Detroit-area native who works in public relations at Ford Motor Co. and once covered the city’s restaurant scene as a journalist, didn’t realize Detroit-style pizza was a thing until he went to college at University of Detroit Mercy, and out-of-town students sought out local pies.

“I grew up not realizing it was special,” said Mr. Thibodeau, 29. “People from other states were crazy for Buddy’s and I was like, ‘It’s just square pizza.’ ” A professor later clued him in on the intricacies with a visit to the original Cloverleaf.

The buzz on social media around Pizza Hut’s Detroit-style rollout was a mix of jokes, curiosity and guarded enthusiasm. “Shaped like a car?” one person quipped.

“I still don’t know exactly what Detroit Pizza is?” tweeted Ken Kal, the local radio voice of the Red Wings hockey team and a native Detroiter. Others on the thread figured he was joking, but he doubled down. “Seriously, I heard of Detroit pizza but don’t know what it is.”

A few years ago, New Yorker Jen McKenzie stood in line for two hours to eat at Emmy Squared, a Detroit-style pizza place that opened in 2016 in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn. She loved the crispy, cheesy edges of the square slabs, which reminded her of a Sicilian style that many New Yorkers call “grandma pie.”

“Has it overtaken a New York grandma-style pizza for me? No,” said Ms. McKenzie, 43. “But it’s a joy.”

Emmy Squared sells square pizza in Brooklyn, N.Y.

A pizza being prepared at Emmy Squared in June, 2016.
PHOTO: RYAN C. JONES FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL(2)
Michigan native Briana Reamer has lived in Chicago for nearly a decade and describes herself as a Chicago deep-dish loyalist. She prefers a pizza with cheese so thick and stretchy she can raise the slice two feet above her head without it breaking.

“I know about Detroit style,” said Ms. Reamer, 40, a research dietitian. “But I don’t really understand it. It seems like they’re trying to make a deep-dish, but then cut it into tiny pieces.”

Chris Baker, a 33-year-old writer at an ad agency, was smitten with the light, airy crust at Emmy Squared in Brooklyn. But he says he didn’t even realize it was “Detroit Style” until after several visits.

“Now that I think about, it might have said ‘Detroit’ on the menu,” he said. “But it wasn’t Chicago or New York, so I just kinda glossed over it.”

Write to Mike Colias at [email protected] and Annie Gasparro at [email protected]
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:12 pm :lol: Bacon makes everything taste better. ;)
Hell yeah!

I went to this Red event hosted by Tom Colicchio (from one of the chef shows and owner of a number of restaurants) and Jess Jackson of Kendall Jackson at a place in the Meatpacking district called Craft (don’t get the bone marrow that stuff is nasty). Forget how awesome the dessert of red hot flavored/infused ice cream on red velvet cake and bourbon for dessert or the dope dinner, the pre meal happy hour or whatever they called it had a bunch of apps including kobe burgers but had three types of flavored bacon, one of which was bourbon flavored bacon. They also had a bacon infused bourbon. I to this day don’t know which one was between the B-Bacon or the B-Bourbon.
Bacon tastes great, but so does lamb. Lamb isn’t better when it tastes like bacon. Let great ingredients speak for themselves.

Roast bone marrow typically served with grilled bread and in a best case scenario with a dressed parsley salad to counter-react the richness is one of the best dishes ever. For a guy that likes bacon and steaks it’s odd that you don’t fawn over bone marrow.

Craft is a superb and unique restaurant.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm
Thanks for the tip.
Excellent job there dmac. Great combo and pic. Do you make your own hummus?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:12 pm :lol: Bacon makes everything taste better. ;)
Hell yeah!

I went to this Red event hosted by Tom Colicchio (from one of the chef shows and owner of a number of restaurants) and Jess Jackson of Kendall Jackson at a place in the Meatpacking district called Craft (don’t get the bone marrow that stuff is nasty). Forget how awesome the dessert of red hot flavored/infused ice cream on red velvet cake and bourbon for dessert or the dope dinner, the pre meal happy hour or whatever they called it had a bunch of apps including kobe burgers but had three types of flavored bacon, one of which was bourbon flavored bacon. They also had a bacon infused bourbon. I to this day don’t know which one was between the B-Bacon or the B-Bourbon.
Bacon tastes great, but so does lamb. Lamb isn’t better when it tastes like bacon. Let great ingredients speak for themselves.

Roast bone marrow typically served with grilled bread and in a best case scenario with a dressed parsley salad to counter-react the richness is one of the best dishes ever. For a guy that likes bacon and steaks it’s odd that you don’t fawn over bone marrow.

I tried the bone marrow there (Craftsteak) once, served in bond cut in half on rock salt. Never, ever, ever again. Ooh that was gross son!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 pm
Hell yeah!

I tried the bone marrow there (Craftsteak) once, served in bond cut in half on rock salt. Never, ever, ever again. Ooh that was gross son!
I am headed here when COVID clears..... Already have an invitation from friends of Daniel Boulud. My wife’s friend is married to a guy that runs a culinary school in Manhattan and he is friends with Daniel. Our goal is to get there when this COVID thing passes to celebrate. We are going to have the pressed duck! MAGA!!

Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Share a review when you do.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:30 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm
Thanks for the tip.
Excellent job there dmac. Great combo and pic. Do you make your own hummus?
Sorry, never saw this. Thanks, was pretty tasty.
No, have never made hummus.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 pm Share a review when you do.
I will. My wife’s friend was poor in the South Bronx... went to a SUNY for undergrad because it was cheap and went to Northwestern for dental school because she got a full ride. She had never heard of the school when she went. Has a nice dental practice then married a guy that earned his money the old fashioned way....he inherited it....a household consumer product founded by his father that now gives away money and puts his name on stuff. Culinary school is a pastime.....
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 pm
I am headed here when COVID clears..... Already have an invitation from friends of Daniel Boulud. My wife’s friend is married to a guy that runs a culinary school in Manhattan and he is friends with Daniel. Our goal is to get there when this COVID thing passes to celebrate. We are going to have the pressed duck! MAGA!!

Wow, this just fantastic stuff. That will be one helluva an experience, lucky you.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Wow, this just fantastic stuff. That will be one helluva an experience, lucky you.
Keeping my fingers crossed.....If I see the duck was 50% Off, I may get something else!! BTW, I have been very very lucky.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 pm Share a review when you do.
I will. My wife’s friend was poor in the South Bronx... went to a SUNY for undergrad because it was cheap and went to Northwestern for dental school because she got a full ride. She had never heard of the school when she went. Has a nice dental practice then married a guy that earned his money the old fashioned way....he inherited it....a household consumer product founded by his father that now gives away money and puts his name on stuff. Culinary school is a pastime.....
She's got to be tough just to have survived the South Bronx. Does she know KRS One? :)

More importantly, when the waiter comes around with truffles are you going to tell him "nah, open it up and shave the bi**h".
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 pm
Hell yeah!

Never had that, but I do love osso buco with risotto alla Milanese.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:08 pm Well, this is unsettling. :shock:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... r-BB1d9qxR
Concoction is a good word for it.....I wonder if Jared is enjoying his footlongs?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Alright Folks, what on the dinner agenda for tomorrow's Super Bowl?

As usual, my half chicken is marinating in the fridge. Should be fully ready in a few hours. Veggie chips on the side to be washed down with birch beer.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”