CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:25 am I made 38 static line jumps and each and every one was a learning experience.
There isn't enough money on the planet to get me to jump out of a plane once, let alone 37 more times.......tip of the cap.... :lol: ;)
That makes 2 of us.....
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:59 pm
CU77 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:49 pm Cotton has more 'splainin to do:
Cotton has in fact suggested that he served with those Rangers. A 2014 campaign ad from his first Senate run, for instance, features Cotton telling the viewing audience that he "made tough decisions as an Army Ranger in Iraq." Perhaps most egregiously, a 2012 congressional campaign ad approved and paid for by Cotton even claims that "as a Ranger, Tom Cotton earned the Bronze Star."
https://www.salon.com/2021/01/26/tom-co ... ght-years/
Did Cotton make any reference to the 75th ? Was the 75th even part of the discussion ? If not, how was he "suggesting" he served in the 75th.
He was Ranger qualified. He saw combat in Iraq. He made tough decisions. Were members of the 75th the only ones who made tough decisions ?
You're putting Messner's words in Cotton's mouth. You guys are trying too hard to make something of this.
No, those are Cotton's ads, his words. He overstated, no doubt about it.

Not sure why he felt that was necessary, given that his service was plenty deserving of respect. But some people do feel the pull to exaggerate. He's not the first, won't be the last.

On the political side, I find him way, way to the right on lots of issues, fitting right into the White Christian Nationalism of Trumpism, and he's been a loyal ally for Trump at every turn, no matter the truth, so would never vote for him for President, but I think his actual military service appears to be quite admirable.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:59 pm You don't have to jump out of a plane, a fan, you can try it like this.
Used to watch this as a kid when my father was stationed at Ft. Benning.
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/271072/u ... mp_towers/
Yeah that's STILL a no-go for me. I'm not a height guy....

To help paint the picture? I took this ride with my 5yo daughter at Disneyland, and it was entirely unenjoyable for me.... :lol:

Rollercoasters? I'm good there......yeah, I know, it doesn't make sense, but I guess I just don't like it when I have time to think about how high in the air I am.... :lol:

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

My feet hurt even thinking about heights, hate ladders, high diving boards?? argghh...that said, roller coasters are one of those fears I do get a kick out of conquering. Just as I did rappelling down a cliff once...everyone else frozen, I stepped in and enjoyed it. Once. But it still makes my feet hurt even thinking about it!

Must be genetic as my dad had the fear as well, towards the end of his life he had trouble driving over long bridges, would get me to do it for him if we were together.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, I'm no heights person either. I was once shamed/dared to go up to the top of this thing and grease the radar that is inside those two dome looking things at the top of the mast, as it was part of our department's PMS/maintenance. Once you get up there you have to lift those domes, which are fiberglass, up and over everything in order to do what you've got to do. Just standing there gripping the rails as if I was trying to crush them was challenging enough for me, let alone do anything else. The guy I went up with was like a monkey and had no fear of heights, I don't have to tell you who lifted those domes off. Really can't believe I ever went up there but you can bet I didn't do it twice. That's a long way up there.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:21 pm
Cotton has in fact suggested that he served with those Rangers. A 2014 campaign ad from his first Senate run, for instance, features Cotton telling the viewing audience that he "made tough decisions as an Army Ranger in Iraq." Perhaps most egregiously, a 2012 congressional campaign ad approved and paid for by Cotton even claims that "as a Ranger, Tom Cotton earned the Bronze Star."
Did Cotton make any reference to the 75th ? Was the 75th even part of the discussion ? If not, how was he "suggesting" he served in the 75th.
He was Ranger qualified. He saw combat in Iraq. He made tough decisions. Were members of the 75th the only ones who made tough decisions ?
You're putting Messner's words in Cotton's mouth. You guys are trying too hard to make something of this.

Not sure why he felt that was necessary, given that his service was plenty deserving of respect. But some people do feel the pull to exaggerate. He's not the first, won't be the last.

On the political side, I find him way, way to the right on lots of issues, fitting right into the White Christian Nationalism of Trumpism, and he's been a loyal ally for Trump at every turn, no matter the truth, so would never vote for him for President, but I think his actual military service appears to be quite admirable.
Maybe Cotton didn't feel it was necessary to overstate & was using "Ranger" the same way many of his fellow soldiers & much of the media & public use the term.

Was the media knowingly overstating in 2015 when they referred to the first two women graduates of Ranger training as "Rangers" ?
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/01/ ... om-cotton/
General Milley didn’t serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but an article at Army.Mil identifies him as an Army Ranger.

Other military officials also believe all Army Ranger school graduates are Army Rangers. Major general Scott Miller, commander of the Army for infantry and armor training and education, told Ranger school graduates in 2015: “You’ll leave Victory Pond today with a small piece of cloth on your shoulder, but more importantly, you carry the title of Ranger from here on out.”

In 2015, Secretary of the Army John McHugh told graduates of the Ranger school: “Congratulations to all of our new Rangers.”

Until 2015, a woman had never graduated from Ranger school. When two women, Shaye Haver and Kristen Griest, graduated that year, they were widely hailed as the first female Army Rangers.

A bipartisan resolution with 38 cosponsors was introduced in the Senate in 2015 honoring Griest and Haver as “as our Nation’s newest United States Army Rangers.” The resolution passed the Senate by unanimous consent. An identical House resolution honoring Griest and Haver “as our Nation’s newest United States Army Rangers” had 32 cosponsors, including veterans Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and Tammy Duckworth of Illinois.

“History will be made on Friday when these two female soldiers graduate as @USarmy Rangers,” Gabbard wrote on Twitter.

In 2015, many media outlets also hailed the two Ranger School graduates as America’s first female Army Rangers.

The American Legion’s official Twitter account shared a CBS story identifying the women as Rangers: “Via @CBSNews: First female @USArmy Rangers’ trailblazing achievement.”

Obama-administration official Ronald Klain, who now serves as President Biden’s chief of staff, shared a Huffington Post article identifying the women as Rangers.

Fox News called Haver and Griest “America’s first female Army Rangers.”

“History made: First female Army Rangers graduate grueling school,” tweeted NBC News.

“America: Meet Your First Female Rangers,” read the headline at Time.

Newsweek reported in 2015 that for “the first time in the Army Ranger School’s 64-year history, two women have completed the intense training program and will become Rangers.” The same 2015 Newsweek story that said Haver and Griest “will become Rangers” acknowledged that “the 75th Ranger Regiment does not allow female Rangers.”

Over the weekend, Newsweek picked up Salon’s story attacking Cotton under the headline: “Tom Cotton Blasted for Claims About Being an Army Ranger by Lawmaker Who Was One.”

Cotton’s communications director Caroline Tabler tells National Review that Cotton’s office contacted Newsweek this weekend to point out that Newsweek had identified the female Ranger school graduates as Army Rangers in 2015. Newsweek responded by editing its 2015 story to conform to Salon’s new smear of Cotton. The 2015 Newsweek story no longer says the two women “will become rangers” — the edited version says they “will be allowed to wear the coveted Ranger tab on their uniforms.” (The original Newsweek story can be viewed here.)

If you want to get a sense of how insincere Salon’s attack on Cotton is, just take a look at all the times Salon articles referred to graduates of Ranger school as Army Rangers. An article published on Salon in May 2020 identified the Salon author, a Ranger school graduate, as an Army Ranger.

There are surely some Americans who sincerely believe only those who served in the 75th Ranger Regiment should be called Army Rangers. But if several military officials, Obama’s secretary of the Army, every Democrat and Republican in the Senate, and dozens of news outlets — including Salon — thought it was appropriate to refer to all Ranger school graduates as Army Rangers the day before yesterday, then it’s hard to see Salon’s attack on Cotton as anything other than a disingenuous political smear.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:21 pm

Maybe Cotton didn't feel it was necessary to overstate & was using "Ranger" the same way many of his fellow soldiers & much of the media & public use the term.

Was the media knowingly overstating in 2015 when they referred to the first two women graduates of Ranger training as "Rangers" ?
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/01/ ... om-cotton/
General Milley didn’t serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but an article at Army.Mil identifies him as an Army Ranger.

Other military officials also believe all Army Ranger school graduates are Army Rangers. Major general Scott Miller, commander of the Army for infantry and armor training and education, told Ranger school graduates in 2015: “You’ll leave Victory Pond today with a small piece of cloth on your shoulder, but more importantly, you carry the title of Ranger from here on out.”

In 2015, Secretary of the Army John McHugh told graduates of the Ranger school: “Congratulations to all of our new Rangers.”

Until 2015, a woman had never graduated from Ranger school. When two women, Shaye Haver and Kristen Griest, graduated that year, they were widely hailed as the first female Army Rangers.

A bipartisan resolution with 38 cosponsors was introduced in the Senate in 2015 honoring Griest and Haver as “as our Nation’s newest United States Army Rangers.” The resolution passed the Senate by unanimous consent. An identical House resolution honoring Griest and Haver “as our Nation’s newest United States Army Rangers” had 32 cosponsors, including veterans Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and Tammy Duckworth of Illinois.

“History will be made on Friday when these two female soldiers graduate as @USarmy Rangers,” Gabbard wrote on Twitter.

In 2015, many media outlets also hailed the two Ranger School graduates as America’s first female Army Rangers.

The American Legion’s official Twitter account shared a CBS story identifying the women as Rangers: “Via @CBSNews: First female @USArmy Rangers’ trailblazing achievement.”

Obama-administration official Ronald Klain, who now serves as President Biden’s chief of staff, shared a Huffington Post article identifying the women as Rangers.

Fox News called Haver and Griest “America’s first female Army Rangers.”

“History made: First female Army Rangers graduate grueling school,” tweeted NBC News.

“America: Meet Your First Female Rangers,” read the headline at Time.

Newsweek reported in 2015 that for “the first time in the Army Ranger School’s 64-year history, two women have completed the intense training program and will become Rangers.” The same 2015 Newsweek story that said Haver and Griest “will become Rangers” acknowledged that “the 75th Ranger Regiment does not allow female Rangers.”

Over the weekend, Newsweek picked up Salon’s story attacking Cotton under the headline: “Tom Cotton Blasted for Claims About Being an Army Ranger by Lawmaker Who Was One.”

Cotton’s communications director Caroline Tabler tells National Review that Cotton’s office contacted Newsweek this weekend to point out that Newsweek had identified the female Ranger school graduates as Army Rangers in 2015. Newsweek responded by editing its 2015 story to conform to Salon’s new smear of Cotton. The 2015 Newsweek story no longer says the two women “will become rangers” — the edited version says they “will be allowed to wear the coveted Ranger tab on their uniforms.” (The original Newsweek story can be viewed here.)

If you want to get a sense of how insincere Salon’s attack on Cotton is, just take a look at all the times Salon articles referred to graduates of Ranger school as Army Rangers. An article published on Salon in May 2020 identified the Salon author, a Ranger school graduate, as an Army Ranger.

There are surely some Americans who sincerely believe only those who served in the 75th Ranger Regiment should be called Army Rangers. But if several military officials, Obama’s secretary of the Army, every Democrat and Republican in the Senate, and dozens of news outlets — including Salon — thought it was appropriate to refer to all Ranger school graduates as Army Rangers the day before yesterday, then it’s hard to see Salon’s attack on Cotton as anything other than a disingenuous political smear.
TL/DR
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Salty, you do realize that you were outraged by a Congresswoman's mentioning her military experience?

And yet, Cotton has clearly exaggerated his record, for political benefit...which is a darn shame given that his record is plenty impressive without the false embellishment.

Is Cotton the first or last to embellish?
Nope, and IMO it's generally a forgivable sin, though others may disagree and I'd respect that.
Let's just say that IMO such is close enough to call it an 'embellishment' versus a 'lie'.

But given that he's spent so much effort on shining up his military background for political effect, he really should not have tripped on this, repeatedly; he's no knucklehead, he's plenty smart enough not to have made the error (much of the media is way less astute on such nuances)...BUT when I look at some of his other political positioning on the extremes, I wonder how much else is trustworthy? Does he really believe all these extreme things, is he really just peachy keen with the Big Lie for Trump?

In that light, his embellishment does take on a dimmer light. Again, too bad.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 pm Salty, you do realize that you were outraged by a Congresswoman's mentioning her military experience?
I called her out for her implying that her military experience gave her a special ability to recognize her colleagues facilitating a subversive recon mission, ...after her chief of staff told her about it.

The only thing she has in common with the Ranger discussion is that she & Crow are misusing their military experience as the basis for unfounded political smears on their (R) colleagues.
Cotton has clearly exaggerated his record
Your opinion, stated as fact. Contradicted by many soldiers far better qualified than you to opine.

Do you think the media or Army.mil were in error for referring to Gen Milley, the current CJCS, & the first 2 female grads of Ranger school as "Rangers" ? I'll go with Army.mil over Salon.
DocBarrister

If you’re discussing Sen. Tom Cotton ...

Post by DocBarrister »

... begin with the fact that he’s an ignorant, racist, lying piece of trash who once suggested that slavery was a necessary evil upon which the union was built.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53550882

Start from there, and you are speaking the truth about Tom Cotton.

If not, you’re giving too much credit to a walking piece of garbage.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:12 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:25 am I made 38 static line jumps and each and every one was a learning experience.
There isn't enough money on the planet to get me to jump out of a plane once, let alone 37 more times.......tip of the cap.... :lol: ;)
That makes 2 of us.....
agreed....not tying a rubber band around my ankle and jumping off a bridge either!!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

An extra 83 dollars a month and the right to wear the maroon beret. :D Jumping out of a plane is still much less scary than driving in a car with my son.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:59 pm You don't have to jump out of a plane, a fan, you can try it like this.
Used to watch this as a kid when my father was stationed at Ft. Benning.
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/271072/u ... mp_towers/
Brings back memories there Dmac. If your squared away and make a dynamite PLF then you don't have to do it again. I noticed in your video clip they are still using the dash one bravo parachutes. Those are old school. The most important thing you will do before they release you from the tower is to understand what direction to make your riser slips. If you screw it up you could steer into the super structure of the tower. The black hats made it very clear how upset they will be if they have to climb up there and get your rear end down. :D
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 pm Salty, you do realize that you were outraged by a Congresswoman's mentioning her military experience?
I called her out for her implying that her military experience gave her a special ability to recognize her colleagues facilitating a subversive recon mission, ...after her chief of staff told her about it.

The only thing she has in common with the Ranger discussion is that she & Crow are misusing their military experience as the basis for unfounded political smears on their (R) colleagues.
Your opinion, stated as fact. Contradicted by many soldiers far better qualified than you to opine.

Do you think the media or Army.mil were in error for referring to Gen Milley, the current CJCS, & the first 2 female grads of Ranger school as "Rangers" ? I'll go with Army.mil over Salon.
And your opinion has been contradicted by many Rangers far better qualified than you to opine.

Cotton exaggerated for political benefit, no doubt about it. Your cited Ranger General is uncomfortable with the conflict, wants Crow to focus on other matters, and certainly that's fair...except that it's pretty clear that he's a political player himself else he'd have picked up the phone rather than using social media...ego? or politics...

But yes, your post again reveals that your real issue is that the target of critique is an R...
MDlaxfan76

Re: If you’re discussing Sen. Tom Cotton ...

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:52 am ... begin with the fact that he’s an ignorant, racist, lying piece of trash who once suggested that slavery was a necessary evil upon which the union was built.

DocBarrister
This is one of his views that I find quite revealing and why I could never vote for him.

The defense of his statement is that it was a nuanced recognition of a reality of the Founders' views...however, it was not factually accurate as your link explicates.

His statement was not merely a historical misrepresentation, something he's darn smart enough to understand, it revealed his willingness to dog whistle to the far right. Which I find unconscionable in today's era.

That said, I do presume that his military service was quite admirable. I'm confident he has some other admirable qualities too.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:40 am

And your opinion has been contradicted by many Rangers far better qualified than you to opine.

Cotton exaggerated for political benefit, no doubt about it. Your cited Ranger General is uncomfortable with the conflict, wants Crow to focus on other matters, and certainly that's fair...except that it's pretty clear that he's a political player himself else he'd have picked up the phone rather than using social media...ego? or politics...

But yes, your post again reveals that your real issue is that the target of critique is an R...
IMO, for whatever it is worth the term Army Ranger is being to be interchangeable where it probably should not. Graduating from Ranger school is a impressive feat to say the least. You should say you are Ranger qualified and earned your ranger tab. If your going to state that you are a US Army Ranger you should be wearing the tan beret( which use to be black) and the Ranger unit insignia should be on your uniform.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:52 am ... begin with the fact that he’s an ignorant, racist, lying piece of trash who once suggested that slavery was a necessary evil upon which the union was built.

DocBarrister
This is one of his views that I find quite revealing and why I could never vote for him.

The defense of his statement is that it was a nuanced recognition of a reality of the Founders' views...however, it was not factually accurate as your link explicates.

His statement was not merely a historical misrepresentation, something he's darn smart enough to understand, it revealed his willingness to dog whistle to the far right. Which I find unconscionable in today's era.

That said, I do presume that his military service was quite admirable. I'm confident he has some other admirable qualities too.
Cotton was stating the position of the founding fathers who had to compromise on slavery to form a nation & pass a Constitution.
Do you disagree with the historical accuracy of his statement or do you just want our history erased ? When does the book burning start ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Any thoughts on the 2 women soldiers being referred to as Rangers, or the Army's official website referring to the former Army Chief & current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs as a Ranger ? None of them served in the 75th.

You have yet to provide any evidence of the Generals political leanings, other than the anti-Trump positions already reported.

Obviously there is confusion & differences of opinion, even within the Army, on the use of the term.
When did the Army officially promulgate your preferred distinction ? After the above cited examples ?
Why did Newsweek now have to go back & change their 2015 article after they repeated the Salon smear job ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 am

DocBarrister

Cotton was stating the position of the founding fathers who had to compromise on slavery to form a nation & pass a Constitution.
Do you disagree with the historical accuracy of his statement or do you just want our history erased ? When does the book burning start ?
:D :roll:
No, he misstated, as explicated in the article. It's convenient for southern sympathizing folks of today to invoke the Founders, but the reality is that some were full-on racists while others were outright abolitionists. They did NOT create a construct that made slavery go away naturally in due course. That's the mythology.

It was never a "necessary evil"..."evil" yes. "Necessary" to compromise yes. But slavery was never a necessary evil.

Actual history should not be erased, mythology needs to be understood as merely that, wishful thinking.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:28 pm

Any thoughts on the 2 women soldiers being referred to as Rangers, or the Army's official website referring to the former Army Chief & current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs as a Ranger ? None of them served in the 75th.

You have yet to provide any evidence of the Generals political leanings, other than the anti-Trump positions already reported.

Obviously there is confusion & differences of opinion, even within the Army, on the use of the term.
When did the Army officially promulgate your preferred distinction ? After the above cited examples ?
Why did Newsweek now have to go back & change their 2015 article after they repeated the Salon smear job ?
No, I have zero thoughts on any other misuses of the terminology. The only issue at hand is a politician exaggerating for effect, when it would have been so easy to have not done so with plenty of honorable, creditable effect.

I don't need to know the General's leanings, I simply need to know that he took a political approach to slapping a politician of one party one behalf of one of another party, when he could have just picked up the phone...the stuff I could find on various other post retirement appearances put him very much in the camp I would recognize as more traditional military perspectives on the ME, generally supported by Republicans, at least pre-Trump. Doesn't necessarily make him lean Republican, but pretty good odds.

Return to “POLITICS”