All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

kramerica.inc

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:27 pm This is really disgusting. I don't understand why the Feds can't just not do business with these people.
They can. But the Gov CHOSE to do business with them. Same as Hogan who bought millions of bad tests at the early outset of this thing.

This is a regular supply need scenario in gov contracting. The problem is these were "single source" bids that rely strongly on its individual go'vt procurement reps actually knowing which contractors that use OEM suppliers, are trustworthy AND offer value. The .gov gatekeepers blew it on this.

Single source is only used when the source has been vetted, just one contractor can do the job, and time is of the essence. The gov't ignored its first two biggest criteria.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 am
CU88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 am BNO Newsroom@BNODesk

Australia reports 0 domestic coronavirus cases and 0 new deaths for 10th day in a row.

11:45 PM · Jan 26, 2021
Australia is an Island that is isolated from mostly all other countries, is this post meant to insinuate that this could be achieved in the US? You do realize that if the Aussies ever want any tourism EVER again in their country, they will not be reporting 0 Cases and 0 Deaths from Cv-19 for any amount of time. :roll: I really don't understand the logic in this post at all. They are NOT a model for the US in any way shape or form, so keep dreaming. Back to Lacrosse talk for me. Couldn't let this one slide though!

Joe
Joe, welcome to the politics threads where you are invited to post your views about the virus or anything else you think controversial and politically oriented.

On this particular one, not sure why you think that Australia's success in crushing virus incidence, which was considerable early on, is not to be envied, studied, and to the extent possible emulated.

China is not an island and has crushed incidence...so, too, have some other nations.

Most of us on here believe that it's obviously too late to catch the virus in the early stages of spread and to crush it before massive deaths and economic damage, (that opportunity was squandered) but ultimately that's still the objective....crush the virus and return to economic prosperity.

We may be in a deep hole, but we needn't give up, to surrender.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Actually, the Aussies are letting people in. Saw an interview with Serena Williams on Colbert. She is over there for the Australian open. One would think there are probably hundreds of people there for that event: players, family, coaches, trainers, etc.

Strict quarantine rules as you would imagine.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:22 am Actually, the Aussies are letting people in. Saw an interview with Serena Williams on Colbert. She is over there for the Australian open. One would think there are probably hundreds of people there for that event: players, family, coaches, trainers, etc.

Strict quarantine rules as you would imagine.
Yes, similar to other countries that have the virus crushed to the point where they can test, track, trace, quarantine. Zero tolerance is achievable. The smallest incidence is met with immediate community action.

You need to test before coming, quarantine, then re-test to come out of quarantine.

To repeat the obvious, when incidence is very high and testing and tracing is nowhere near to match, it becomes out of reach. The only way to get to zero tolerance, test, trace, quarantine phase is heavy mitigation and/or vaccination success.

Had we coupled high mask compliance with the shutdowns, and done it nationally and sustained for another 60-90 days, we could have ramped up the test and trace capacities to keep incidence suppressed...but that's in retrospect...looks like we've accepted 600+K dead and going forward will do a bit better on mask compliance maybe, but are really relying on vaccinations working. But at least where I'm living currently over 50% of the populace has thrown in the towel on distancing and consistent masking.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Good thing that the COVID-19 virus can't swim!!!
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Stupid is as stupid does

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/ok ... loroquine/

The Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office has been tasked with attempting to return a $2 million stockpile of a malaria drug once touted by former President Donald Trump as a way to treat the coronavirus.

In April, Gov. Kevin Stitt, who ordered the hydroxychloroquine purchase, defended it by saying that while it may not be a useful treatment for the coronavirus, the drug had multiple other uses and “that money will not have gone to waste in any respect.”

The Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office has been tasked with attempting to return a $2 million stockpile of a malaria drug once touted by former President Donald Trump as a way to treat the coronavirus.

In April, Gov. Kevin Stitt, who ordered the hydroxychloroquine purchase, defended it by saying that while it may not be a useful treatment for the coronavirus, the drug had multiple other uses and “that money will not have gone to waste in any respect.”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:58 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 am
CU88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 am BNO Newsroom@BNODesk

Australia reports 0 domestic coronavirus cases and 0 new deaths for 10th day in a row.

11:45 PM · Jan 26, 2021
Australia is an Island that is isolated from mostly all other countries, is this post meant to insinuate that this could be achieved in the US? You do realize that if the Aussies ever want any tourism EVER again in their country, they will not be reporting 0 Cases and 0 Deaths from Cv-19 for any amount of time. :roll: I really don't understand the logic in this post at all. They are NOT a model for the US in any way shape or form, so keep dreaming. Back to Lacrosse talk for me. Couldn't let this one slide though!

Joe
Joe, welcome to the politics threads where you are invited to post your views about the virus or anything else you think controversial and politically oriented.

On this particular one, not sure why you think that Australia's success in crushing virus incidence, which was considerable early on, is not to be envied, studied, and to the extent possible emulated.

China is not an island and has crushed incidence...so, too, have some other nations.

Most of us on here believe that it's obviously too late to catch the virus in the early stages of spread and to crush it before massive deaths and economic damage, (that opportunity was squandered) but ultimately that's still the objective....crush the virus and return to economic prosperity.

We may be in a deep hole, but we needn't give up, to surrender.
Who is talking about giving up? Again, crushed the incidence is up to your personal discretion. We have no clue if China has crushed the incidence, they are a communist dictatorship and we never get the full story there. My point is what works for Australia does not work for US. It's not apples to apples. And that's your take on it, their is no particular threshold per se of virus incidence required for their to be economic prosperity. Remember, "Zero Covid"' Should NOT be the goal. The goal is to continue to learn how to live WITH the virus like we do thousands of others. We slowly get closer to that each day that passes. Who doesn't think the objective is the crush the virus? Crush the virus meaning lower the case numbers (looks like they are declining steadily), lower hospitalizations (looks like they are declining steadily) and lower deaths (these are declining very very slowly, as we all KNOW they tend to do) And most importantly, with each day that passes we take important steps to learn that this virus is on its way to becoming endemic, meaning we will eventually not fear doing certain regular activities that are part of everyday life, with basic common sense hygiene measures taken and not get shamed for managing OUR OWN RISK. You really sound like a broken record sometimes :roll: :roll: . There are NO nations besides maybe NZ and Australia that have "crushed the virus" Stop using that as a yard stick, it's "contain the virus, and LIVE AROUND IT AND WITH IT) That's entirely realistic and we are taking real steps towards doing that. Be well.

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 am You really sound like a broken record sometimes :roll: :roll
And you think you don't?

You've been coming on here for months, telling us everything is awesome in America when it comes to Covid.....no matter what happens, everything is awesome.

And you get upset anytime anyone anywhere tells you that no, 400K+ deaths is NOT awesome. Nor is living another 6 months in this mess because, again, things are NOT awesome with vaccine manufacturers.

Remember how I asked you how many American covid deaths were ok with you?

We're seeing why you didn't want to answer that question: because you know you'd sound INSANE if you replied "oh, over a half a million dead is fine, and says America is doing awesome".

And, of course, we're going to exceed that number. But yeah, sure, Joe. Everything is awesome, and we're handling this virus just great in America.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:34 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 am You really sound like a broken record sometimes :roll: :roll
And you think you don't?

You've been coming on here for months, telling us everything is awesome in America when it comes to Covid.....no matter what happens, everything is awesome.

And you get upset anytime anyone anywhere tells you that no, 400K+ deaths is NOT awesome. Nor is living another 6 months in this mess because, again, things are NOT awesome with vaccine manufacturers.

We're seeing why you didn't want to answer that question: because you know you'd sound INSANE if you replied "oh, over a half a million dead is fine, and says America is doing awesome".

And, of course, we're going to exceed that number. But yeah, sure, Joe. Everything is awesome, and we're handling this virus just great in America.
Who the f**k said that? What is it with you and drawing lines in the sand? What's your obsession with how many deaths are acceptable to me? I'm not a governor, president, mayor, etc. Who said everything is awesome? Boy you must be a delight to converse with. Be lucky you have a business and it's doing relatively well. Be happy in life, being as angry as you are is no way to go through it. You constantly want to be the guy who says, "I told you so, because we didn't do X, we have to live with Y for another 600 months" Its getting old. Stick to what you know best. I'm sorry I even replied, I am out of this cesspool thread. Won't see me post ever again on this thread. Peter Brown is a smart man, he left this delusional hellhole when the time was right. This is not intended at Wgdsr, Kram, Youth, OS, etc. Those are rational posters. Its the same damn ones who bash their damn heads against the wall over and over again. It's sad, quite sad. Be well a fan.

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:34 am
And you think you don't?

It'd be downright comical if Joe's sort of mentality wasn't part of the problem...

No, Joe, we really do know that China has crushed it. They still have the occasional emergency shutdown to track and trace and quarantine with there's the slightest incidence.

But ok, you don't trust them. I don't trust the gov't either, but I do trust the people who actually live there and are reporting out.

South Korea, Hong Kong, and Singapore have also crushed it...these are far more open societies and we'd know if they were having anything remotely akin to our situation. Taiwan too, but yup an 'island'. BTW, Australia is an awfully big island!

Canada hasn't 'crushed it" and had a sizable fall-winter surge as we did, but 1/3rd the incidence and is well further down the backside of the curve relative to us...much stiffer response, better compliance, but some of the same right wing resistance as we have, though at a much reduced level proportionately and not egged on by the top political leader. They relaxed over the summer and paid the price in the fall. But again, less than a third as % of pop.

All that said, I'd rather Joe spout off on this thread than over on the lax threads about it. Problem for Joe though is that on this thread, he actually needs to deal with facts. "Peter Brown is a smart man"... :D
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:51 am"Peter Brown is a smart man"... :D
Speaks volumes.

Some are resigned to living in the latrine after getting pushed in. Others prefer to climb out.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if i may, we'd all do well to have a larger amount of tolerance for opposing views. and not read into what others are saying as much with our own proclamations of what they mean. all sides. at least more of the time. the staccato and not full explanation of internet posting breeds it, and interpretation can run in multiple directions.

we all (or most) get snippy at times and i don't know if that's to be expected, but there's certainly room to be aware of it all.

also probably a good idea not to say someone's part of the problem if it's already an elevated debate. or "who the **** said that?" frustration abounds these days. guilty as charged meeself.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Listened to the task force briefing. Major technological problems which really interfered with getting information across and allowing it to be absorbed by the listener. They better get their act together and pronto.

I didn’t really hear an awful lot of important new information. Much more interested in hearing new meat and potatoes. Don’t want to hear political fluff.

Having said that, it certainly is a good idea to have these briefings, which I understand will be three times a week. Hopefully they get the technological problems fixed.

With all of the concerns about the current lack of supply, I was wondering how many doses J&J has ready to go if their vaccine gets approved. I understand phase 3 results are expected next month. Maybe someone here knows, but I haven’t heard if any info on efficacy has leaked out. Cross our fingers, if the efficacy is high and if an EUA is granted, then how many doses do they have sitting on their shelves they could be very quickly deployed?

Obviously if we can add a single dose vaccine to the equation, and if there are lots and lots of doses ready to go, that would dramatically speed up the timetable for getting everybody vaccinated who wants a shot.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

zippy.
last timetable (delays) were for catchup with a big april.
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 am Who the f**k said that? What is it with you and drawing lines in the sand? What's your obsession with how many deaths are acceptable to me? I'm not a governor, president, mayor, etc. Who said everything is awesome?
You did. You flip out at every poster who doesn't play along with your silly game of refusing to evaluate where we are as a nation. You take any criticism of our Covid response as a personal attack, as opposed to a simple discussion point.
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 am Be happy in life, being as angry as you are is no way to go through it.
I can assure you that I am the happiest, most self fulfilled person you'll ever meet. But for whatever reason, you think that criticizing our government(s) is akin to being the saddest and angriest man in the whole wide world. Calm down, and stop telling posters what to post.
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 am You constantly want to be the guy who says, "I told you so, because we didn't do X, we have to live with Y for another 600 months" Its getting old. Stick to what you know best.
Nope. You've got it backwards, as usual. What you and your buddies do is play this game and say "oh, well that's Monday Morning Quarterbacking...it's easy to make these calls in hindsight". So what do I do? I tell you what we should do on SATURDAY. And what do you do? You still whine and complain about me.

Been dealing with manufacturing and logistics for 25 years, my man. What the F are you here for? As far as I can tell? You're here to hear what you want to hear. And if you don't hear poster say the exact same thing you yourself believe? You flip out, attack other posters, call this place a cesspool, and threaten to leave.

How about you actually take the time to consider opinions that are different from yours? Naaaaaah. Anyone who has a different opinion from Joe is bad, and angry, and sad, right?

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 am I'm sorry I even replied, I am out of this cesspool thread. Won't see me post ever again on this thread. Peter Brown is a smart man, he left this delusional hellhole when the time was right. This is not intended at Wgdsr, Kram, Youth, OS, etc. Those are rational posters.
:lol: You just named off the board's Republicans (save, wgdsr...no clue how he votes). Gee, what a coincidence!

In other words, you don't want to hear opinions that are different from yours. Great way to go through life....good luck with that, I guess.

Edit to add, in case it ain't obvious....Wgdsr, Kram, Youth, OS are some of my favorite posters here....
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 am What's your obsession with how many deaths are acceptable to me?
As for this----the reason is obvious, and you know it.

I'm simply pointing out that you are going to tell us that everything is fine, no matter how many people die from Covid.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm Listened to the task force briefing. Major technological problems which really interfered with getting information across and allowing it to be absorbed by the listener. They better get their act together and pronto.

I didn’t really hear an awful lot of important new information. Much more interested in hearing new meat and potatoes. Don’t want to hear political fluff.

Having said that, it certainly is a good idea to have these briefings, which I understand will be three times a week. Hopefully they get the technological problems fixed.

With all of the concerns about the current lack of supply, I was wondering how many doses J&J has ready to go if their vaccine gets approved. I understand phase 3 results are expected next month. Maybe someone here knows, but I haven’t heard if any info on efficacy has leaked out. Cross our fingers, if the efficacy is high and if an EUA is granted, then how many doses do they have sitting on their shelves they could be very quickly deployed?

Obviously if we can add a single dose vaccine to the equation, and if there are lots and lots of doses ready to go, that would dramatically speed up the timetable for getting everybody vaccinated who wants a shot.
I think J+J promised 100 million doses by the end of this year. Their manufacturing process is slower than the other two but part of their advantage is that its one dose and only nominal refrigeration (identical to a regular flu vaccine). Perfect for distribution/inoculation using retail pharmacies.

Their Phase 3 results are expected over this weekend. The word is they will be VERY GOOD and comparable to the existing vaccines.

Will be interesting to see if the can use the DPA to force Merck (who just ended their trials) to use their facilities to make additional J+J and Moderna vaccines.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Given that timeframe (not good in my view), I wonder how many they would have available right off the bat, if they get approved?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm Given that timeframe (not good in my view), I wonder how many they would have available right off the bat, if they get approved?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN29I18I

"(Reuters) - Johnson & Johnson is facing unexpected delays in the manufacturing of its coronavirus vaccine and may not be able to supply as many doses it promised the U.S. government by spring, the New York Times reported on Wednesday.

U.S. federal officials have been told that J&J has fallen behind its original production schedule and will not catch up until the end of April, when it agreed to deliver more than 60 million doses, the NYT reported, citing people familiar with the situation."

Return to “POLITICS”