TD Ierlan's Next Program Predictions?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: TD Ierlan's Next Program Predictions?

Post by stupefied »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:12 pm Nobody is faulting TD for doing what the rules tell him is allowed and shame on the Ivy league for the pusillanimity that led to this but, that said, I don't think this is leaving anyone with a good taste in their mouth. It appears he is parachuting in for a few months of games and taking one class that will then transfer back to Yale...which he still plans on graduating from and where he still has to do his senior thesis...which means he is going to have to re-enroll there again...meaning this "transfer" stretches the meaning of that word pretty much beyond recognition. Completely understand him wanting to play his senior year of lax but part of the reason we go to college is to start to become acquainted with the real world where you don't get things just because you want them and where nobody cares if you think something that doesn't go your way "isn't fair". Another reality of the world of course is that special dispositions are made for special talents but this whole process stinks something awful.

Agree
molo

Post by molo »

Am I the only one who is shocked, shocked that this clustermess involves the FOGO position?
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:12 pm Completely understand him wanting to play his senior year of lax but part of the reason we go to college is to start to become acquainted with the real world where you don't get things just because you want them and where nobody cares if you think something that doesn't go your way "isn't fair". Another reality of the world of course is that special dispositions are made for special talents but this whole process stinks something awful.
It can also teach you, if you sit around, make excuses and don't do anything, nothing will happen... but if you want something to happen and go out and try to make it happen, sometimes it does.

I haven't scrolled the ACC or UVA thread... anyone complaining about Aitken leaving for Villanova then returning to UVA. Not saying it's the same as TD's situation, but still jumping around to try and accomplish more athletically, which I think is great if he/they can do it.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

RumorMill wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:45 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:12 pm Completely understand him wanting to play his senior year of lax but part of the reason we go to college is to start to become acquainted with the real world where you don't get things just because you want them and where nobody cares if you think something that doesn't go your way "isn't fair". Another reality of the world of course is that special dispositions are made for special talents but this whole process stinks something awful.
It can also teach you, if you sit around, make excuses and don't do anything, nothing will happen... but if you want something to happen and go out and try to make it happen, sometimes it does.

I haven't scrolled the ACC or UVA thread... anyone complaining about Aitken leaving for Villanova then returning to UVA. Not saying it's the same as TD's situation, but still jumping around to try and accomplish more athletically, which I think is great if he/they can do it.
Agree. The fact TD is the only player, out of a large swath of players, to not allow himself to be screwed out of a 2021 season shows great initiative on his part.

I'm sure Mr. Ierlan is abundantly aware life isn't fair. After all, he had a bunch of people cry about changing the face-off rules after he came onto the scene and completely dominated the competition!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh, please. Where does TD's initiative to bail on his fellow Danes to go chase a title (didn't work, still got zero) via the transfer route come into play here? Oh, but that was all about the better sheepskin and quality and character of classmates/teammates...so much for that, eh?
The crying about face offs had little to do with TD and everything to do with following the rules as written/the essence of the game. Clamping the ball to the ground, withholding the ball from play, and doing the crab dance is something that should never be seen on a lacrosse field. Nor should a ball being picked up with stick in a gravity defying way (pinched in your stick like tongs would pick a ball up). This is why the rules were changed, not because TD was/is a dominant FOGO.
Wouldn't worry about TD getting screwed out of a season anymore than I would LeBron getting screwed out of a season, seems to me as if either can go find a place to play....and it sounds like TD can even still get that Yale sheepskin wherever he decides to play. What a deal.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:23 am Oh, please. Where does TD's initiative to bail on his fellow Danes to go chase a title (didn't work, still got zero) via the transfer route come into play here? Oh, but that was all about the better sheepskin and quality and character of classmates/teammates...so much for that, eh?
The crying about face offs had little to do with TD and everything to do with following the rules as written/the essence of the game. Clamping the ball to the ground, withholding the ball from play, and doing the crab dance is something that should never be seen on a lacrosse field. Nor should a ball being picked up with stick in a gravity defying way (pinched in your stick like tongs would pick a ball up). This is why the rules were changed, not because TD was/is a dominant FOGO.
Wouldn't worry about TD getting screwed out of a season anymore than I would LeBron getting screwed out of a season, seems to me as if either can go find a place to play....and it sounds like TD can even still get that Yale sheepskin wherever he decides to play. What a deal.
The problem isn't so much TD (whose track record you rightly point out) but the so-called rules that apparently allow him to transfer temporarily to another D1 school for a semester and take a random course, play a season for that same school (without the mandatory sit-out for a second transfer also in the same rules) and then return to Yale to graduate.

Why have any rules if they can be manipulated like this?
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:30 am
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:23 am Oh, please. Where does TD's initiative to bail on his fellow Danes to go chase a title (didn't work, still got zero) via the transfer route come into play here? Oh, but that was all about the better sheepskin and quality and character of classmates/teammates...so much for that, eh?
The problem isn't so much TD (whose track record you rightly point out) but the so-called rules that apparently allow him to transfer temporarily to another D1 school for a semester and take a random course, play a season for that same school (without the mandatory sit-out for a second transfer also in the same rules) and then return to Yale to graduate.

+1 if that IS the scenario, it's complete BS
renault

Post by renault »

NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:02 am

The only BS here I see is Yale (and the rest of the Ivies) not playing in 2021.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

renault wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:08 am
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:02 am

The only BS here I see is Yale (and the rest of the Ivies) not playing in 2021.
+1

Well said.

Joe
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

From my perspective TD's decision to transfer to Yale doesn't come into play in this discussion. Didn't think that's what we were talking about, it's about his decision to try and go play for Denver in the 2021 season (with former Yale teammates). From what I've read, he will be getting a better "sheepskin", is that a bad thing? Relative to the character of classmates and teammates, he can probably enjoy it just as much remotely from Denver as he can from upstate NY or an apartment in New Haven. Are all his Yale classmates and teammates back on campus and in person for the spring?

Actually not worried at all about TD getting screwed out of a season... Frustrated that ALL these student athletes (in this case the Ivy League student athletes) are getting screwed out of TWO seasons!

I guess my defensiveness comes from the critics who seem to be upset TD is working to find loopholes or exceptions because he wants to play college lacrosse and compete for a National Championship. Under "normal" circumstances, I might be with you, but now facing a second lost season (and last for TD and many other seniors in the Ivy League) I don't see his approach in a negative light.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I feel bad for every one of these players (wlaxers included), fans too....particularly this one.
That is the way to put it though...looking for loopholes and exceptions. Do I blame him for
that? Absolutely not, that's calling a spade a spade and not putting out a bunch of fluff and
sugar coating. As for face off rule changes and TD (which is what bothered me more anything)
being the big reason for...well, that's just BS.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

RumorMill wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 am I guess my defensiveness comes from the critics who seem to be upset TD is working to find loopholes or exceptions because he wants to play college lacrosse and compete for a National Championship.
I think DMac is just upset that Ierlan has now not once, but twice flouted Syracuse during the transfer process. ;)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 am
RumorMill wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 am I guess my defensiveness comes from the critics who seem to be upset TD is working to find loopholes or exceptions because he wants to play college lacrosse and compete for a National Championship.
I think DMac is just upset that Ierlan has now not once, but twice flouted Syracuse during the transfer process. ;)
In the podcast TD address Syracuse and why he did not go there
DMac

Post by DMac »

You would be quite wrong about that, HF16, I couldn't care less about where TD plays. He's gaming the system which is really what this discussion is about.
You know I'm not as big on face off wins being as vital to winning as most people are. I've watched Cuse win national titles with and without dominant FOGOs, they're no more or less important than any other player on the field as far as I'm concerned. Complete teams win games, not one dominant player at one position.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Does anyone have a link to the podcast with TD?
CC10

Post by CC10 »

I view TD's move as taking a non traditional / outside the box "jr abroad program" where you earn credits towards your graduation. Just didn't think you could play D1 sports. Alot of kids do take a semester as US schools. I know the Ivies and NESCAC have programs where you to take classes at a peer school. Never heard of a student playing for them but maybe there have been examples who have done that??
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Surfs_Up wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 am Does anyone have a link to the podcast with TD?
i would advise against it.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

You can tell from my screen name that we have experienced the TD drama, and there was a lot more to the story, why he wound up at Albany and why he ultimately left.

All I can say is good luck to him and the Pio's.
socalref

Post by socalref »

The NCAA and college sports programs have been finding ways to screw kids for years. Good on him for using the rules to his benefit. And maybe that IS the real life lesson.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

socalref wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 pm The NCAA and college sports programs have been finding ways to screw kids for years. Good on him for using the rules to his benefit. And maybe that IS the real life lesson.
Ha...they'll inurn make it more painful for others, for exposing a weakness in their monopoly.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”