TD Ierlan's Next Program Predictions?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: TD Ierlan's Next Program Predictions?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm So, he's passing up a Yale degree...to face off a few more times in college...really?
evidently, a yale degree is still in play.
either he's qualified already or can go back, or so he believes is the case.

it's covid, anything goes. in 5 or 10 years or less hoops and gridiron guys will be making real bank, why pretend anymore?

News stories said he'd graduate from Yale. His statement implied he'd try to play this season. Something seems like it must be afoot based on the IL article. Or, perhaps he's only looking to play as a grad student and IL hyped the story to get a bit of attention.
This (grad student) seems to me the only thing that would make much sense...if he's eligible for the degree now. Hard to imagine that Yale would accept credits from somewhere else after he's left.

But that then raises another thorny question...you're not supposed to be playing ball beyond the term when you've satisfied all degree requirements...

I'm puzzled.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:42 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm So, he's passing up a Yale degree...to face off a few more times in college...really?

it's covid, anything goes. in 5 or 10 years or less hoops and gridiron guys will be making real bank, why pretend anymore?

News stories said he'd graduate from Yale. His statement implied he'd try to play this season. Something seems like it must be afoot based on the IL article. Or, perhaps he's only looking to play as a grad student and IL hyped the story to get a bit of attention.
This (grad student) seems to me the only thing that would make much sense...if he's eligible for the degree now. Hard to imagine that Yale would accept credits from somewhere else after he's left.

But that then raises another thorny question...you're not supposed to be playing ball beyond the term when you've satisfied all degree requirements...

I'm puzzled.
which may mean that like pannell, after the season was cancelled he didn't wrap degree requirements. so that would still be out there. who knows? given what the nc$$ did kneejerk in granting extra eligibility, all rules for them and schools might be out the window. it's a pandemic.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am

I'm puzzled.
which may mean that like pannell, after the season was cancelled he didn't wrap degree requirements. so that would still be out there. who knows? given what the nc$$ did kneejerk in granting extra eligibility, all rules for them and schools might be out the window. it's a pandemic.
Agreed, just not sure how Yale would be cool with it and give him a degree even if he didn't finish there...
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I'm puzzled.
I'm puzzled too. Obviously he need not tell us anything about his academic state but there seems to be significant confusion about what his status was this spring. It does not seem that he actually had graduated and enrolled for the spring as a grad student. Thus it does not seem that he should be able to transfer as a grad student (even if you have met graduation requirements, you need to actually have an undergrad degree to enroll in grad school). Some have suggested he has met graduation requirements but in order to keep playing lax was just taking a few additional courses. I'm not actually sure of the rule on that (which really would almost never have come up without the COVID waiver issue). If you still have sports eligibility, does it matter if you have already met graduation requirements but have not actually yet graduated? How does this work for that matter for non-athletes? In some money-no-issue case, if you want to keep paying undergrad tuition, can you just stay enrolled and keep taking additional classes indeterminably? If TD has not met graduation requirements (and if that is the case he has not been keeping up with normal academics), there is no way Yale would accept Denver credits from the spring if he were to transfer as an undergrad (which he would not normally be able to do for a second time and play this spring), implying that if he wanted a Yale degree he would have to go back and finish Yale requirements (which would be shady even in the realm of sports as they would basically be loaning him out for a few months before accepting him back as an undergrad). But hey, Villanova accepted Dox as a openly declared loaner who had no intention of staying at the school beyond football season so who the hell knows. The blanket COVID waiver system was extremely poorly thought out and is going to have detrimental ripples for years.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 am
Tdemling6 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:15 am
keno in reno wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:08 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 pm I understand circumstances are different right now but how many times should you be allowed to transfer and play immediately ? It's happening in hockey too. The sit out a year rule was there for a reason. Tough being a player already on the team and at the school these guys are transferring to
What is the lacrosse sit out a year rule?
There is no sit our rule for sports outside basketball and football. Its immediate eligibility at the NCAA level. However, some conferences do have restrictions on transferring within the conference unless you are a grad transfer - ACC and Big Ten do for sure.
Yes there is a sit out rule if it is a student athlete’s second transfer, which it would be for TD. He went from Albany to Yale (and didn’t have to sit out as you mentioned). But 2nd transfer requires a sit out.
This is absolutely true. The 2nd transfer requires a sit out year, which means he would be eligible to play somewhere else in 2022. Connor Harryman a FOGO who started his career at Bellarmine is an example of this. He made all So-con his freshman year and then transferred to Towson in 2017. Unfortunately for him it was the same year that all-world Alex Woodall transferred to Towson from High Point. He played sparingly that year for the Tigers before transferring to Rutgers in 2018 and was forced to sit out that year because of this rule.

A recent example of this where a player didn't have to sit out a year is attackman Jimmy Perkins when he transferred from Robert Morris to Utah and then back to Robert Morris this year. He is eligible this year evidently. :?
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

This is true a 2nd transfer would have to sit out a year unless there is a degree earned, an associates degree from a JUCO or a bachelors from a 4 year. From my understanding he isn't graduating, but you are able to petition this with an NCAA waiver if you school does not have your sport. Example would be Furman players who may have transferred to Furman can then transfer without sitting with the sport being dropped at that school. If the IVYs are not playing or at least dragging their feet as much as they are he may qualify for this waiver.

I do believe that this is the reason the IVYs are taking so long to decide to limit this as much as possible as I think they are surprised to see so many athletes leave last year and are looking this year/commitment flips from IVYs to other good academic schools like Duke and ND that are doing their best to still play sports. I. think they under estimated the want to play sports over having an IVY degree.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

TD needs another year off to work on the O/U grip.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wishing TD all the best. Would have loved to see him take a few more face-offs for Yale but I can absolutely understand that he is eager to play lacrosse once more and it seems increasingly unlikely the Ivy League will play spring sports.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:24 pm TD needs another year off to work on the O/U grip.
The $64k question. While I'm sure TD will adapt, it isn't a given he will dominate using the new stance. I've already heard some top ranked FOGOs aren't doing that well with the new rules.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

If you see a lean on the top hand and a turn, they will be in a world of hurt. Off the knees and out.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:07 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:24 pm TD needs another year off to work on the O/U grip.
The $64k question. While I'm sure TD will adapt, it isn't a given he will dominate using the new stance. I've already heard some top ranked FOGOs aren't doing that well with the new rules.
eventually, they'll find the rules that'll make it 50/50 no matter how hard you work at it. the whole exercise will be a coin flip. i wish the rules committee well on their quest.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Stats will come down this year no doubt. It is just harder to dominate when your hands are in an inferior position.

He will still have fast hands, but my guess is the days 70 percent plus are limited.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Furman. It’s a done deal.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

So,
TD isn’t going anywhere, its almost Feb.,
next year maybe.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 pm So,
next year maybe.
He still got time to enroll. When he talked to USLacrosse Magazine he said he is playing 2021 season. Which ever coaches he working with will get him in. Feel Denver is the most likely with their trimester system.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:40 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 pm So,
next year maybe.
He still got time to enroll. When he talked to USLacrosse Magazine he said he is playing 2021 season. Which ever coaches he working with will get him in. Feel Denver is the most likely with their trimester system.
Denver's first game is in five days. I can't see him bouncing in like 5 or 6 games into their season or a month in. Denver seemed like an inevitability but even schools that are later in terms of enrolling are starting in the next week or the week after. He's gotta move.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm still puzzled...giving up a Yale degree to take a few more draws in college?
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:01 pm I'm still puzzled...giving up a Yale degree to take a few more draws in college?
I think he will stay graduate from Yale (receive a diploma)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:01 pm I'm still puzzled...giving up a Yale degree to take a few more draws in college?
2 of the articles that came out on it both implied he had expected to get his yale degree regardless of playing at another school in 2021. a number of us were specious on how that would work, other(s) guessing that possibly he already had the credits for it.. too much was vague to know for sure how it all would play out.

but a yale degree was implied and noted.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:11 pm
I think he will stay graduate from Yale (receive a diploma)
so, no transfer this season?

Lemme just say that I was a bit skeptical about the Albany to Yale transfer as it seemed rather incongruous (that's the unconscious, but admitted, educational snob in me) but the more I thought about it and looked at TD's trajectory, the more hopeful I was that his priority was truly about the educational opportunity and that he'd earned it. Glad for him if a bit sad for the Albany team, and certainly not happy my own alma mater didn't have a transfer like him! ;)

I'd be a bit bummed if he didn't stay and graduate. Either play a grad year somewhere and extend that educational aspect, or play pro ball, or move onto whatever career interests he may have.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”