All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment: A Green New Deal

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:46 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 am
waste of time

Sulpher causes acid rain.

Wakashio oil spill.....it has been discussed on this thread, yes.

Yup....pretty much everything you touch is carried by a polluting ship. You know everything.
Thanks for clearing that up for me buddy.
buddy?

please stop with the personal attacks and sarcastic remarks.

yup........nothing on one of the dirtiest industries in the world.....shipping.

Are ships engines really, really getting damaged from this "new" United Nations endorsed fuel?

Is the US Navy using this new fuel?

why aren't shipping ships equiped with NUKE engines?

And robots don't emit co2, but the energy to make them moves does.

I can't wait for driverless trucks to deliver my tennis balls, JCrew sweaters, etc. people are lousy.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

For Electric Car Makers, This Battery Breakthrough Could Change Everything
Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles.

Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis but running out of charge during a journey is a worry for drivers. The new lithium-ion batteries were developed by the Israeli company StoreDot and manufactured by Eve Energy in China on standard production lines.

StoreDot has already demonstrated its “extreme fast-charging” battery in phones, drones and scooters and the 1,000 batteries it has now produced are to showcase its technology to carmakers and other companies. Daimler, BP, Samsung and TDK have all invested in StoreDot, which has raised $130m to date and was named a Bloomberg New Energy Finance Pioneer in 2020.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 am For Electric Car Makers, This Battery Breakthrough Could Change Everything
Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles.

Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis but running out of charge during a journey is a worry for drivers. The new lithium-ion batteries were developed by the Israeli company StoreDot and manufactured by Eve Energy in China on standard production lines.

StoreDot has already demonstrated its “extreme fast-charging” battery in phones, drones and scooters and the 1,000 batteries it has now produced are to showcase its technology to carmakers and other companies. Daimler, BP, Samsung and TDK have all invested in StoreDot, which has raised $130m to date and was named a Bloomberg New Energy Finance Pioneer in 2020.
Too bad we can't make them in America. POTUS Biden was just pleading the made in America case yesterday, even signed the EO, oh well. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

You're right, Cranky! and why is it "too bad" in this instance?? May it be that the fossil fuel industry (and its supporters) do all they can to discourage and suppress R&D support and resources for battery development here in the states...perhaps? This is the kind of stuff that happens (foreign company getting ahead on the issue) when people have the BAD ATTITUDE they do about "Clean Energy" and alternatives to the fossil fuel economy...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm You're right, Cranky! and why is it "too bad" in this instance?? May it be that the fossil fuel industry (and its supporters) do all they can to discourage and suppress R&D support and resources for battery development here in the states...perhaps? This is the kind of stuff that happens (foreign company getting ahead on the issue) when people have the BAD ATTITUDE they do about "Clean Energy" and alternatives to the fossil fuel economy...

But Al Gore flies in jets....
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Goodness gracious. Herman Munster is clueless

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjusbunX6a ... g4ena7nfwv
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm You're right, Cranky! and why is it "too bad" in this instance?? May it be that the fossil fuel industry (and its supporters) do all they can to discourage and suppress R&D support and resources for battery development here in the states...perhaps? This is the kind of stuff that happens (foreign company getting ahead on the issue) when people have the BAD ATTITUDE they do about "Clean Energy" and alternatives to the fossil fuel economy...

I don't have a "bad attitude" about clean energy. I have a "bad attitude" about a bunch of environmentalist clowns telling what kind of car i have to drive to make them happy. Clean energy will be able to stand up on its own 2 legs someday without the leg braces. The internal combustion engine will still be around for a long time, much to your chagrin my jaundiced friend.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 pm

But Al Gore flies in jets....
I thought his jet was electric? :lol:
Bob Ross:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:58 am

I don't have a "bad attitude" about clean energy. I have a "bad attitude" about a bunch of environmentalist clowns telling what kind of car i have to drive to make them happy. Clean energy will be able to stand up on its own 2 legs someday without the leg braces. The internal combustion engine will still be around for a long time, much to your chagrin my jaundiced friend.
GM just announced that they will be selling only zero emission vehicles by 2035.

The days of the internal combustion engine are numbered.

General Motors said Thursday it would phase out petroleum-powered cars and trucks and sell only vehicles that have zero tailpipe emissions by 2035, a seismic shift by one of the world’s largest automakers that makes billions of dollars today from gas-guzzling pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles.

The announcement could put pressure on automakers around the world to make similar commitments. It could also embolden President Biden and other elected officials to push for even more aggressive policies to fight climate change. Leaders could point to G.M.’s decision as evidence that even big businesses have decided that it is time for the world to begin to transition away from fossil fuels that have powered the global economy for more than a century.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/busi ... e=Homepage

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 pm

GM just announced that they will be selling only zero emission vehicles by 2035.

General Motors said Thursday it would phase out petroleum-powered cars and trucks and sell only vehicles that have zero tailpipe emissions by 2035, a seismic shift by one of the world’s largest automakers that makes billions of dollars today from gas-guzzling pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles.

The announcement could put pressure on automakers around the world to make similar commitments. It could also embolden President Biden and other elected officials to push for even more aggressive policies to fight climate change. Leaders could point to G.M.’s decision as evidence that even big businesses have decided that it is time for the world to begin to transition away from fossil fuels that have powered the global economy for more than a century.

DocBarrister 8-)
Note that this does not include medium and heavy duty vehicles (trucks), and GM does not commit to actually removing all internal combustion engines but may consider buying offset credits...

But the handwriting is on the wall as to the future...

They just announced (yesterday or the day before) a partnership with Navistar to make hydrogen fuel cell class 8 (big semis) trucks by providing a box unit containing all the fuel cells to generate the electricity needed, as well as an infrastructure build-out of a hydrogen refueling supply system for major long haul truck routes. Claim vehicles cost of ownership/operation competitive with current diesel trucks...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:23 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Note that this does not include medium and heavy duty vehicles (trucks), and GM does not commit to actually removing all internal combustion engines but may consider buying offset credits...

But the handwriting is on the wall as to the future...

They just announced (yesterday or the day before) a partnership with Navistar to make hydrogen fuel cell class 8 (big semis) trucks by providing a box unit containing all the fuel cells to generate the electricity needed, as well as an infrastructure build-out of a hydrogen refueling supply system for major long haul truck routes. Claim vehicles cost of ownership/operation competitive with current diesel trucks...
Hydrogen (hopefully, “green” hydrogen produced through solar or wind powered mass electrolysis of water) and fuel cells are likely to play a bigger role for bigger vehicles ... large trucks, buses, ships, planes. Hydrogen fuel cells may even be a better technology in the long run for cars and smaller trucks, as long as the hydrogen is produced in a clean manner.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DocBarrister 8-)
"GM just announced that they will be selling only zero emission vehicles by 2035."
Until they realize nobody wants to buy them, then they are effed. They have 14 years to win over the hearts and minds of millions of soon to be former customers. I wonder what the people at FORD are thinking? Usually the customer decides what they want to buy. This is turning the tables around, this is the only thing we will allow you to buy. Sounds like the folks at GM are making a huge mistake. I can understand expanding the market, i can't understand them saying buy this product at exorbitantly high prices or go somewhere else. :roll: I'll happily go someplace else to buy the car I want and not the only car they will offer.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This place will be an ocean by 2035. I hope those cars have props.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
"GM just announced that they will be selling only zero emission vehicles by 2035."
Until they realize nobody wants to buy them, then they are effed. They have 14 years to win over the hearts and minds of millions of soon to be former customers. I wonder what the people at FORD are thinking? Usually the customer decides what they want to buy. This is turning the tables around, this is the only thing we will allow you to buy. Sounds like the folks at GM are making a huge mistake. I can understand expanding the market, i can't understand them saying buy this product at exorbitantly high prices or go somewhere else. :roll: I'll happily go someplace else to buy the car I want and not the only car they will offer.
They are NOT the only company moving to mostly/all electric (and I would submit a fuel cell car using hydrogen would fit this model). And this will put pressure on the other makers to actually follow. And while you may not want to buy one now, I suspect you will at some point prefer such an option. Mostly because the reality is the technology at that point will make those cars preferable as the maintenance costs should be lower, with fewer breakdowns.

The biggest question has been costs, but some of that issue is scaling up what technology you have, and the other is pushing the technology to make it happen. Both are happening now.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:11 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
They are NOT the only company moving to mostly/all electric (and I would submit a fuel cell car using hydrogen would fit this model). And this will put pressure on the other makers to actually follow. And while you may not want to buy one now, I suspect you will at some point prefer such an option. Mostly because the reality is the technology at that point will make those cars preferable as the maintenance costs should be lower, with fewer breakdowns.

The biggest question has been costs, but some of that issue is scaling up what technology you have, and the other is pushing the technology to make it happen. Both are happening now.
You bring up 2 very valid points... price and reliability. My company had several hybrid electric vehicles in their fleet. They were a disaster that only lasted for a couple of years until the company removed them from service. My biggest question, how do you expand electric charging stations for vehicles that will satisfy the need for 320 million Americans? How much will it cost to charge your vehicle? Where will the power come from to supply all these cars? What is the national plan to create all these charging stations? what is the life of these batteries? How do they perform in super cold weather? How much does it cost to buy a new battery? I am not sold on the idea of forcing people to buy new technology that flat out many customers don't want. It may be the way of the future i don't think ramming it down your customers throats is good business, especially at how very pricey these vehicles are.

https://www.propertymanagerinsider.com/ ... ions-cost/ to hook this up in your own house is 6 grand. That ain't chump change that does not even cover the cost of whatever the electricity is? Can you purchase a half a tank of electricity?
Bob Ross:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister 8-)

Tesla co-founder and CEO Elon Musk has dismissed hydrogen fuel cells as “mind-bogglingly stupid,” and that is not the only negative thing he has had to say about the technology. He has called them “fool cells,” a “load of rubbish,” and told Tesla shareholders at an annual meeting years ago that “success is simply not possible.”

Musk found a surprising source of support in 2017, when Yoshikazu Tanaka, chief engineer in charge of the Mirai (Toyota), told Reuters, “Elon Musk is right — it’s better to charge the electric car directly by plugging in.”

PS- It's perfectly safe and legal. Don't believe the propaganda - Throwing hydrogen car batteries into the ocean is good for the environment, as they charge electric eels and power the Gulf stream.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:29 pm

DocBarrister 8-)

You bring up 2 very valid points... price and reliability. My company had several hybrid electric vehicles in their fleet. They were a disaster that only lasted for a couple of years until the company removed them from service. My biggest question, how do you expand electric charging stations for vehicles that will satisfy the need for 320 million Americans? How much will it cost to charge your vehicle? Where will the power come from to supply all these cars? What is the national plan to create all these charging stations? what is the life of these batteries? How do they perform in super cold weather? How much does it cost to buy a new battery? I am not sold on the idea of forcing people to buy new technology that flat out many customers don't want. It may be the way of the future i don't think ramming it down your customers throats is good business, especially at how very pricey these vehicles are.

https://www.propertymanagerinsider.com/ ... ions-cost/ to hook this up in your own house is 6 grand. That ain't chump change that does not even cover the cost of whatever the electricity is? Can you purchase a half a tank of electricity?

:lol: ... buying lots of incandescent bulbs are we?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:29 pm (omitted)

But your questions on price and reliability are in the process of being answered. Your company's past experience likely no longer applies.

And the expansion of charging stations is not necessarily that hard. Electricity to run them is pretty much ubiquitous, and the investment cannot be too large compared to putting in a modern gas station, with all the safety requirements.

In reality, you might also see a solution with interchangeable modular battery packs, which might be a LOT faster to change than current charge rates (the biggest current problem with charging stations). Or hybrid batteries with part fast charging and part slower charging where the fast charge part charges the slow charge part. The modular pack route allows for slower charging and maybe replacing bad cells to keep the packs at an optimum charge.

Also, the $6K cost is for a fairly sophisticated charging station. Don't need that fancy one for charging your car overnight (where the rate of charge can be much slower).

You are also basing your objections on past levels of tech, not where it will end up.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:41 pm (omitted)

Tesla co-founder and CEO Elon Musk has dismissed hydrogen fuel cells as “mind-bogglingly stupid,” and that is not the only negative thing he has had to say about the technology. He has called them “fool cells,” a “load of rubbish,” and told Tesla shareholders at an annual meeting years ago that “success is simply not possible.”

Musk found a surprising source of support in 2017, when Yoshikazu Tanaka, chief engineer in charge of the Mirai (Toyota), told Reuters, “Elon Musk is right — it’s better to charge the electric car directly by plugging in.”

PS- It's perfectly safe and legal. Don't believe the propaganda - Throwing hydrogen car batteries into the ocean is good for the environment, as they charge electric eels and power the Gulf stream.
Musk has some strong opinions, however, GM has been working on fuel cells since the 50s/60s. The reason for using them is the ability to fast charge the huge battery pack necessary for a truck hauling 40 tons would be prohibitive. High pressure H_2 fuel cells have a much higher energy density:
By contrast, hydrogen has an energy density of approximately 120 MJ/kg, almost three times more than diesel or gasoline. In electrical terms, the energy density of hydrogen is equal to 33.6 kWh of usable energy per kg, versus diesel which only holds about 12–14 kWh per kg.
And of course, fuel cell cars don't have batteries - they have tanks for the H_2 and the fuel cells that convert the hydrogen into water plus electricity...

Return to “POLITICS”