19. Washington and Lee
20. Stevenson
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Matnum PI

Re: US Lacrosse Top 20

Post by Matnum PI »

US Lacrosse Magazine @USLacrosseMag
51m
The Nike/US Lacrosse Division III Men's Preseason Top 20 is here.

1. @SalisburyMLAX
2. @TuftsLacrosse
3. @RITMensLax
4. @wes_mlax
5. @UrsinusMLAX

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... son-top-20
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:52 pm US Lacrosse Magazine @USLacrosseMag
51m

1. @SalisburyMLAX
2. @TuftsLacrosse
3. @RITMensLax
4. @wes_mlax
5. @UrsinusMLAX

Anyone willing to take a stab at teams not rated who may surprise?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

nehslaxfan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:42 pm
51m

1. @SalisburyMLAX
2. @TuftsLacrosse
3. @RITMensLax
4. @wes_mlax
5. @UrsinusMLAX

I’m sure I speak for many when I say this year’s Preseason Top 20 - more than most years - is the quintessential beauty contest! The names at the top are all perennial programs that I’m sure will be somewhere on this list at the end. But what do we REALLY know about any team? For most programs (those without a large transfer in pool) the leadership is untested. The seniors were only sophomores, the juniors only freshman, when any of these teams were last involved in a “must win, pressure packed” conference or playoff game! Meaning many of this year’s leaders - who by the way probably didn’t even play in that last pressure packed game - will be learning under fire this year. In other words, the vast majority of D3 lacrosse teams are chock full of inexperienced collegiate lacrosse players. And I think that’s great. So, yes I expect a lot of changes to this preseason Top 20 - we don’t even know what the schedules are for 75% of them - but I have no clue who will be still standing come May. And I love it!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Ned, Greetings and Safe New Year 2021. Glad to see you're healthy and posting.

Any semblance of a normal season should see a Final Four with Gulls/Big Red and NESCAC/RIT. With conference play looking uneven I would suggest the fairest way to organize a (Covid reduced) tournament would be for the D III Selection Committee to select 16 teams based on overall records and seed them with reduced travel time playing an important part; maybe start with a Friday/Sunday date to get to semis. Just an idea to start a discussion.
LaxDad45

Post by LaxDad45 »

Ned,

I respectfully disagree in the case of Salisbury. They bring back 10 seniors who took and extra year. Some of those guys were contributors to a national championship team their freshmen year. If anything I think the Gulls are the most battle tested team out there as they always have a target on their back and were 7-0 last season in a tough schedule before the season was canceled.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 am Ned, Greetings and Safe New Year 2021. Glad to see you're healthy and posting.

Any semblance of a normal season should see a Final Four with Gulls/Big Red and NESCAC/RIT. With conference play looking uneven I would suggest the fairest way to organize a (Covid reduced) tournament would be for the D III Selection Committee to select 16 teams based on overall records and seed them with reduced travel time playing an important part; maybe start with a Friday/Sunday date to get to semis. Just an idea to start a discussion.
Thanks MrLax and very happy and healthy 2021 to you and your loved ones!

I'd sign up for that Final Four right now .... nothing like a drive to the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland in May! Getting kinda used to it by now!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

LaxDad45 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:24 am Ned,

I respectfully disagree in the case of Salisbury. They bring back 10 seniors who took and extra year. Some of those guys were contributors to a national championship team their freshmen year. If anything I think the Gulls are the most battle tested team out there as they always have a target on their back and were 7-0 last season in a tough schedule before the season was canceled.
Dad45 ... we really aren't in disagreement. I did say most programs and Coach Berkmans Salisbury is not "most programs". I expect the Gulls and those ten 5th year seniors to be very much in the mix as most years. My take was a broad stroke comment about teams that don't have returning seniors or a influx of seasoned transfers. Which is most of the D3 landscape.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

The other reason why Salisbury is the team to beat is their incomparable face-off man is back, Brett Malamphy who rolls at 77%. Was first team All-American as a sophomore and would have been one again last year.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

The bottom of this list is not well thought out. US lacrosse does a bad job of these polls every year. Stevenson was 1-4 last year when season got cut. Also Salisbury is not as good at Tufts last year. If last year is not being considered then Cabrini should be #1.

US lacrosse always rank some schools that dont belong in places.
overandback

Post by overandback »

Malamphy can be dominant - but beware stats from a short season...His 77% in 7 games started with a 21/22 performance in opener.
vs Gettysburg (10/18) and Stephens (10/21) he was more of a mortal.
He's very good, but Gulls present even bigger problems elsewhere IMO.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

51m

1. @SalisburyMLAX
2. @TuftsLacrosse
3. @RITMensLax
4. @wes_mlax
5. @UrsinusMLAX

Saint Lawrence and Cortland
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

51m

1. @SalisburyMLAX
2. @TuftsLacrosse
3. @RITMensLax
4. @wes_mlax
5. @UrsinusMLAX

WNE
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

51m

1. @SalisburyMLAX
2. @TuftsLacrosse
3. @RITMensLax
4. @wes_mlax
5. @UrsinusMLAX

With the potential that 6 to possibly as many as 8 or 9 of these teams may not even play this year, the Top 20 could end up looking like this past D1 football seasons Top 20 with a number of schools that normally would not even be considered or included.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

laxrules wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 pm Salisbury is not as good at Tufts last year. If last year is not being considered then Cabrini should be #1.
US lacrosse always rank some schools that dont belong in places.
Rules-
I can't definitively tell you whether Salisbury or Tufts was the better team in '20 anymore than you can. The Gulls were 7-0 w/ convincing wins over Lynchburg and Gettysburg. If there's one thing I do know, it's that Salisbury teams improve greatly between the beginning and end of their seasons. Considering the fact that the Gulls were ranked #1 and rolling through their first seven games, I'm confident they would have given Tufts all they could handle.

Now if you're talking about the 2021 season, I'd be careful of what you're hoping for - Make no mistake about it- This year's SU team is rock solid from top to bottom and will welcome any & all comers...

Here's to good health, some friendly banter on the forum, and everyone getting a chance to play some lacrosse in '21 !!

GO GULLS!!
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

overandback wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:04 pm He's very good, but Gulls present even bigger problems elsewhere IMO.
Greetings Over-

Where do you feel Salisbury's strengths lie and would present the biggest problems for other teams ?
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

W&L may be a bit low @ 19 and HSC can replace Stevenson at least @ 20, they return almost everybody..

Hoping Lynchburg/ Salisbury will
play. LYN returns 4 graduate students all starters since 2019. 2020 starting Defense (Tyler Galleger, 2019 HM AA, 2020 2nd team AA, 3 SSDM’s and LSMs all return. All had substantial playing time in 2019 along with 2 starting attachmen from 2019 (1 was injured at start of 2020..)
Got some help at the X with transfer graduate student.
Big upgrade in the 6x6 with 2 goalies competing for the start (Patrick Moore has the edge taking the starting position after 2.5 games last year)..
These bugs may be ranked low @13...
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

LarumVictoia wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:15 pm
overandback wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:04 pm He's very good, but Gulls present even bigger problems elsewhere IMO.
Greetings Over-

Where do you feel Salisbury's strengths lie and would present the biggest problems for other teams ?
Personally seen Tufts operate in games vs IC and AC..explosive, fast, deep bench and lethal shooting. Only downside I see is size difference on Tufts vs Salisbury? But Adams and Bredahl are so dam quick I don't think it even matters. I take Tufts any day :twisted:
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Greetings Over-

[/quote]

Other strengths? How about starting at goalie, TJ Ellis. Back between the pipes, tested and has stood tall. Also I believe a Furman transfer plus a freshman.

Defense? A true veteran group, Kness, Apgar, and Bork? They don't feed these guys meat after Tuesday for a Saturday game, they are hungry and going to take animal bites!

D middies? Murphy, Griek, Saulino, and Action Jackson? Ground ball machines with attitudes and skills.

Face-off, Malamphy is back, but don't leave out Sweeney. A one two punch most coaches would be happy with just one of them.

Middies, Broms, Armstrong, Thrasher, another Transfer, Nestor

Attack Cross, Moroney, and Melton? 3 All Americans

Plus you have a bench that's hungry to play? Don't see to many holes.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I watched both teams play in 2020 and tufts was much better than Salisbury top to bottom.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”