All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

CU88

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by CU88 »

NOW WE ARE TALKING!

FEMA would operate up to 100 federally run mass vaccination sites...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ass-sites/

Just about every football and baseball stadium are designed to handle thousands of cars and tens of thousands of people. I would drive hours and sit in the traffic flow to get my vaccine at a drive thru center run by FEMA. They could rotate staffing and offer these 24/7.

There are even onsite facilities for restrooms and food service. Incentivize people in each region with free food and fan gear from their favorite team, for every person who gets the vaccine.

GO BIG
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU88 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:25 pm NOW WE ARE TALKING!

Just about every football and baseball stadium are designed to handle thousands of cars and tens of thousands of people. I would drive hours and sit in the traffic flow to get my vaccine at a drive thru center run by FEMA. They could rotate staffing and offer these 24/7.

There are even onsite facilities for restrooms and food service. Incentivize people in each region with free food and fan gear from their favorite team, for every person who gets the vaccine.

GO BIG
Hopefully it works out. Vaccine production should catch-up.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bidens plan calls for using the Defense Production Act to increase manufacturing capacity. And deploying ON-SITE staff to monitor MANUFACTURING of vaccines and components needed for the complete vaccine.

The devil is in the details....but......

https://www.scribd.com/document/4915855 ... from_embed
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

GO BIG

The problem is not the "last mile" in many states right now. The problem is supply.
Carroll81

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Carroll81 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:28 am
Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:38 am Top 5 in vacinations per 100 people in the world

Most vaccinations given in the world by a factor of 3.

Over 1 Million doses per day.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Is that good or “not enough?”

I think Good and "not enough".

"Not enough", if the Goal is 100 Million in 100 days, we can do that without making any more progress.

Good in that the process has ramped up and we are learning how to do this. It should get better. We went from 0 to 1 Mil per day in about 6 weeks? That is actually pretty impressive.

The big question is what is the limit on the production at this point. I have not seen any projections of that. If anybody has valid links, please post.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:54 pm

GO BIG

The problem is not the "last mile" in many states right now. The problem is supply.
Yes, the article itself even says the most pressing issue is supply. But there are a lot of distribution issues as well, and this is targeting "gaps in their existing infrastructure".

There are a lot of problems to address, and this is one of them.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm The big question is what is the limit on the production at this point.
Been asking that question for six months. The fact that no one can tell you where the bottlenecks (glass, labels, doses, syringes, etc.) are in delivering a finished dose to each State tells you all you need to know.

And that is: no one in the Press or Trump Administration bothered to answer that key question.

We're about to find out the answer to your question in short order.

And this is why I've been so frustrated.....these are entirely foreseeable problems.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm
Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:38 am Top 5 in vacinations per 100 people in the world

"Not enough", if the Goal is 100 Million in 100 days, we can do that without making any more progress.

Good in that the process has ramped up and we are learning how to do this. It should get better. We went from 0 to 1 Mil per day in about 6 weeks? That is actually pretty impressive.

The big question is what is the limit on the production at this point. I have not seen any projections of that. If anybody has valid links, please post.
when we signed contracts with pfizer and moderna, they were to have each supply 100 million by the end of the first quarter. some of that was supposed to be before year end.
but what became a prediction from those companies of supplying us with ~75 million by year end turned to ~50 million estimate and then we ended up actually getting about 12. this all happened in the 4th quarter.

then we inked extended deals with each of them. for pfizer, that amounted to another 100 million with an expectation that 70 million might get done in the 2nd quarter. moderna, it was for 100 million to be placed in the 2nd quarter, none additional in the first.

so notwithstanding the continued revised down estimates and reality of end of year 2020, these guys are supposed to deliver 200 million by the end of q1. 12 million was done in december, we'll maybe be between another 40-50 million in january. for the last ~ 2 weeks, it's been 2 million per day. if it continues at that pace, that's about 170-180 million by the end of q1. so if they deliver on contract, it won't be much more than 2 million per day. for them to put out much more than that daily, that'd take them exceeding contract which wasn't apparent or the companies couldn't commit to at the time the supplemental options were signed.

tl;dr - we may be at their max for now or close to it. tbd.

maybe someone can explain to me, because the thoughts on supply being the issue perplex me a bit. we have distributed almost 40 million doses. we have vaccinated fewer than 20 million. that means there are 20 million doses out there, at the states. that number is growing every day. in theory, we could vaccinate almost 20 million people tomorrow. how is it that the last mile isn't a problem, and the problem right now is supply?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 pm
Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm The big question is what is the limit on the production at this point.
Been asking that question for six months. The fact that no one can tell you where the bottlenecks (glass, labels, doses, syringes, etc.) are in delivering a finished dose to each State tells you all you need to know.

And that is: no one in the Press or Trump Administration bothered to answer that key question.

And this is why I've been so frustrated.....these are entirely foreseeable problems.
Would the bottle neck be just that....because every damned country is searching/feening for the same thing. It's not like an earthquake where many can help one....it is literally few trying to help all.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 pm

when we signed contracts with pfizer and moderna, they were to have each supply 100 million by the end of the first quarter. some of that was supposed to be before year end.
but what became a prediction from those companies of supplying us with ~75 million by year end turned to ~50 million estimate and then we ended up actually getting about 12. this all happened in the 4th quarter.

then we inked extended deals with each of them. for pfizer, that amounted to another 100 million with an expectation that 70 million might get done in the 2nd quarter. moderna, it was for 100 million to be placed in the 2nd quarter, none additional in the first.

so notwithstanding the continued revised down estimates and reality of end of year 2020, these guys are supposed to deliver 200 million by the end of q1. 12 million was done in december, we'll maybe be between another 40-50 million in january. for the last ~ 2 weeks, it's been 2 million per day. if it continues at that pace, that's about 170-180 million by the end of q1. so if they deliver on contract, it won't be much more than 2 million per day. for them to put out much more than that daily, that'd take them exceeding contract which wasn't apparent or the companies couldn't commit to at the time the supplemental options were signed.

maybe someone can explain to me, because the thoughts on supply being the issue perplex me a bit. we have distributed almost 40 million doses. we have vaccinated fewer than 20 million. that means there are 20 million doses out there, at the states. that number is growing every day. in theory, we could vaccinate almost 20 million people tomorrow. how is it that the last mile isn't a problem, and the problem right now is supply?
Thanks for the math. Appreciated.

I would expand my previous to be "supply chain" rather than just "supply". My experience here in PA is that the current Points of Distribution (POD) are all requesting about 2x what they currently get each week. If your calculations hold, then the issue right now is the chain. Here are some guesses that could be influencing that:
  • Changing recommendations on who to put in each Phase.
  • Lack of refrigerated transport
  • Health Departments rather than Emergency Managers managing the distribution
  • Simple inertia of trying to spin this stuff up
  • Issue could vary from locale to locale
I am sure there are others. Three of them are clear management issues that can be addresses quickly. The first is a political issue, which may or may not be settled.

As afan said, it is hard to believe that no one has spoken to where the bottle necks are.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:46 pm

Would the bottle neck be just that....because every damned country is searching/feening for the same thing. It's not like an earthquake where many can help one....it is literally few trying to help all.
It's a simple conversation to me: how did the US win WWII?

We're not behaving like we did in WWII. We are CHOOSING to drag the pandemic out. We have a viable vaccine, and we can't, as a country, make it fast enough. This is a failure of the country that pretty much invented mass production.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks for the math. Appreciated.

I would expand my previous to be "supply chain" rather than just "supply". My experience here in PA is that the current Points of Distribution (POD) are all requesting about 2x what they currently get each week. If your calculations hold, then the issue right now is the chain. Here are some guesses that could be influencing that:
  • Changing recommendations on who to put in each Phase.
  • Lack of refrigerated transport
  • Health Departments rather than Emergency Managers managing the distribution
  • Simple inertia of trying to spin this stuff up
  • Issue could vary from locale to locale
I am sure there are others. Three of them are clear management issues that can be addresses quickly. The first is a political issue, which may or may not be settled.

As afan said, it is hard to believe that no one has spoken to where the bottle necks are.
a fan is talking about production. he's convinced we could be producing more.

but just talking about today, your state has the vaccine. what most states have put in place have been to deliver local. and small. so they have a ton of vaccine. but it's in a warehouse, and they haven't figured out yet how to get to all those small numerous locales.

so if it's not last mile, it's second to last mile. in addition to planning for the next week or 2 (have second shots avail).

i've said for a bit now it should be large pops, most vulnerable pops, and large distribution centers. then figure out with the delta how to get to smaller, rural. for people who can't drive a half hour or hour.

500 megasites, 1000 sub-megas. not 50,000 pharmacies and drs offices.

but the problem isn't supply. it's there. just not getting out to their preferred small, multiple local destinations.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The explanation I've heard is the states are only getting a 2-3 day heads up on when the next supply shipment is to come and how much....so, they're not able to schedule out for weeks the actual vaccinations...

Sounds crazy, but I suspect this is exactly the explanation for the gap between 'distributed' and 'in arms'...we also hear that there are reserves at the companies, but the fed government wasn't giving them a schedule at to where and how much to ship...

If so, that CAN be improved.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

joe says we won't be able to do anything to change the course of the pandemic over the next couple months and it's going to get ugly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/biden-s ... idappshare

don't think i agree, but we'll see.

fauci says 180k's for the past week in cases has something to do with the holidays. not sure why this past week would matter for holiday reporting. i've said we'll see directional after this weekend likely. the 20% percent decline is a mirage if that's what he meant.

but we're 10-15% lower on cases since xmas, 10% lower on hospitalizations since peak. uk news has not been good. hope we dodge a bullet there. next week on deaths and cases will point to near term direction.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm a fan is talking about production. he's convinced we could be producing more.
It's simple logic.

Maybe this helps: there are other vaccine manufacturing facilities outside of the US, correct?

So CLEARLY, more vaccine can be produced that what the US is currently producing. Now how are these other countries making vaccine?

They have the manufacturing facilities. Simple.

So there you go. 1+1=2. We are capped at our current capacity, because we chose NOT to build the additional facilities needed to make more , quickly.

And then pretend what that would mean. We could flood the States with vaccines. Every doctors office, every pharmacy. FEMA sites (sports stadiums).
Flood the country with vaccine, intead of diddling around trying to figure out how to get what is plainly an inadequate supply out to the public. The fact that we don't have enough vaccine, means that we have to waste time and energy rationing out who gets it, and who doesn't. Think about how much easier it would be if we simply said "can you fog a mirror? Great. You get a vaccine, roll up your sleeve, pal".
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:44 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm a fan is talking about production. he's convinced we could be producing more.
It's simple logic.

Maybe this helps: there are other vaccine manufacturing facilities outside of the US, correct?

So CLEARLY, more vaccine can be produced that what the US is currently producing. Now how are these other countries making vaccine?

They have the manufacturing facilities. Simple.

So there you go. 1+1=2. We are capped at our current capacity, because we chose NOT to build the additional facilities needed to make more , quickly.

And then pretend what that would mean. We could flood the States with vaccines. Every doctors office, every pharmacy. FEMA sites (sports stadiums).
Flood the country with vaccine, intead of diddling around trying to figure out how to get what is plainly an inadequate supply out to the public. The fact that we don't have enough vaccine, means that we have to waste time and energy rationing out who gets it, and who doesn't. Think about how much easier it would be if we simply said "can you fog a mirror? Great. You get a vaccine, roll up your sleeve, pal".
we are not making widgets. we won't agree.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 pm

The explanation I've heard is the states are only getting a 2-3 day heads up on when the next supply shipment is to come and how much....so, they're not able to schedule out for weeks the actual vaccinations...

Sounds crazy, but I suspect this is exactly the explanation for the gap between 'distributed' and 'in arms'...we also hear that there are reserves at the companies, but the fed government wasn't giving them a schedule at to where and how much to ship...

In reference to the supply....noted here in MD.
In an email I received today, note from Elrich ....

County Prepares to Move to Phase 1B COVID-19 Vaccine Schedule, But More Vaccines Needed to Meet Demand; Those 75 and Older Can Preregister
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:46 pm

It's a simple conversation to me: how did the US win WWII?

We're not behaving like we did in WWII. We are CHOOSING to drag the pandemic out. We have a viable vaccine, and we can't, as a country, make it fast enough. This is a failure of the country that pretty much invented mass production.
Not arguing here, and I wished it were this simple, but we are not melting steel originally assigned for a fender and turning it into tank tracks or mortar shells.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 pm

In reference to the supply....noted here in MD.
In an email I received today, note from Elrich ....

County Prepares to Move to Phase 1B COVID-19 Vaccine Schedule, But More Vaccines Needed to Meet Demand; Those 75 and Older Can Preregister
yes. they need to figure out the 2nd to last mile.
maryland health has been delivered 722,625 doses and the state has vaccinated 314,861. they're also likely most every day getting more vaccine in, like 2+x as many daily, than they're getting into arms.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 pm we are not making widgets.
You don't know that. Full stop.

Know how I know this? Easy. Tell me: what is the bottleneck in producing a finished vaccine dose in America for Pfizer? It's always something in mass production.

The glass? Needles? Labels? On site refrigeration? Filling heads? The liquid dose itself?

You. Don't. Know.

It can EASILY be something stupid like glass vials keeping production down.

Widgets.

And the bottleneck for Pfizer can easily be entirely different from Moderna's.

Edit to add: I have a new Whiskey coming out this year. Do you know what's delayed it by 3 months? The stupid little tamper proof cap on the bottle, called a capsule...manufacturer is unexpectedly backlogged. It happens. And it's rarely the same component that gets in the way of a new release. Sometimes it's the glass. Sometimes it's the label. Sometimes its the box.

Once we had a two month delay because they couldn't get the proper color ink needed for our boxes. Their supplier had unexpectedly stocked out. :lol:
Last edited by a fan on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”