Bourbon

General Chatter
a fan

Re: Bourbon

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:08 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm Neat article on History of mash bill.

https://bourbonveach.com/2021/01/04/mas ... dFswYdtRWM
Do they use lettuce to make whiskey? ;)
Fixed link below.
Ah, that's what I thought that was! I've known Mike Veach for years now. You're really upping your Bourbon hobby if you're following him!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:47 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am I did sip some Blanton's while watching it. Interestingly enough, the more I drink other products and come back to Blantons, the less enamored/ enthralled I become. Sure, its still a great sipper, but it would not be my go to with other choices at the ~60/bottle price point.
It's not the same blend it was 15 years ago.

And the problem is, it's become a "trophy" brand....where folks trying to impress colleagues etc., buy the "right" bottle of whiskey.
Curious....what does this mean exactly. Blend of mash bill, or blend of ??
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Stop Wasting Your Money on Bourbon That’s Too Old

A fun article about the history of the aging process and some other stuff surrounding Bourbon.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:51 pm Stop Wasting Your Money on Bourbon That’s Too Old

A fun article about the history of the aging process and some other stuff surrounding Bourbon.
Very cool read, thanks holmes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:57 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am I did sip some Blanton's while watching it. Interestingly enough, the more I drink other products and come back to Blantons, the less enamored/ enthralled I become. Sure, its still a great sipper, but it would not be my go to with other choices at the ~60/bottle price point.

And the problem is, it's become a "trophy" brand....where folks trying to impress colleagues etc., buy the "right" bottle of whiskey.
I"m sorry----I missed this question!

What I mean is, Blanton's 15 years ago had a whole bunch of older whiskies in the blend......10, 12yo, etc. It no longer contains those older whiskies in the standard Blanton's expression.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:57 am

I"m sorry----I missed this question!

What I mean is, Blanton's 15 years ago had a whole bunch of older whiskies in the blend......10, 12yo, etc. It no longer contains those older whiskies in the standard Blanton's expression.
No worries t'all Thanks for the answer.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:17 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:51 pm Stop Wasting Your Money on Bourbon That’s Too Old

If you two are bored-----this is me talking with Lew Bryson, the author of that piece.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:17 pm

If you two are bored-----this is me talking with Lew Bryson, the author of that piece.

I'm on it. I also sat in on one of your webinars back in September with BSG. You guys make it too damn complicated with all the choices in maltings.... ;) :lol:
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm I also sat in on one of your webinars back in September with BSG.
A real glutton for punishment, are ya?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm I also sat in on one of your webinars back in September with BSG.
A real glutton for punishment, are ya?
Just finished the youtube you posted. Lew Bryson sounds like a salt of of the earth guy, love his laugh. What amazes me after listening to the discussion is how each product has such defined notes, based on so many variables in the process. Even the point about natural drafts/convection across the fermenting floor. The other piece that was very ingenious was the irrigation around the dunnage....is that controlled irrigation based on RH in the house or just some type of constant drip from stored rain water to keep it damp at all times.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am Just finished the youtube you posted. Lew Bryson sounds like a salt of of the earth guy, love his laugh
He's old school, and started in beer, which is where I came across him 25 years ago. We're quite fond of each other because even though we're both in the spirits game....we both came from the beer side.

HIs book is great....and I just noticed when I checked the link that I made the book jacket with my endorsement. Neat.

https://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Master-C ... 560&sr=8-1
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am The other piece that was very ingenious was the irrigation around the dunnage....is that controlled irrigation based on RH in the house or just some type of constant drip from stored rain water to keep it damp at all times.
We don't get enough rain for that----Denver is dependent on snow melt filling the reservoirs. We use the drip in the spring-fall...and snow melt does the rest in the winter.

Pretty clever, don't you think? Sometimes, I earn my paycheck. ;)

Other distillers in the region get 10%+ evaporation per year. At that rate? The 2,000 barrels we have on site would lose an additional $100K+ per year. Crazy, right? We're a little dumb to be in this biz! But I love it so much.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am Just finished the youtube you posted. Lew Bryson sounds like a salt of of the earth guy, love his laugh
He's old school, and started in beer, which is where I came across him 25 years ago. We're quite fond of each other because even though we're both in the spirits game....we both came from the beer side.

HIs book is great....and I just noticed when I checked the link that I made the book jacket with my endorsement. Neat.

https://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Master-C ... 560&sr=8-1
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am The other piece that was very ingenious was the irrigation around the dunnage....is that controlled irrigation based on RH in the house or just some type of constant drip from stored rain water to keep it damp at all times.
We don't get enough rain for that----Denver is dependent on snow melt filling the reservoirs. We use the drip in the spring-fall...and snow melt does the rest in the winter.

Pretty clever, don't you think? Sometimes, I earn my paycheck. ;)

Other distillers in the region get 10%+ evaporation per year. At that rate? The 2,000 barrels we have on site would lose an additional $100K+ per year. Crazy, right? We're a little dumb to be in this biz! But I love it so much.
When you said the angels share was 4.1%, as opposed to upward of 10%, you certainly shocked the room. Well done. I am sure the bean counters are pleased as well.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Spoke to the owner a couple weeks back...now in stock here in Maryland. Picked up my first bottle, going to start with the BiB.....gonna open her up tonight.

~Livy
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon and Spirits

Post by youthathletics »

Oh man ole man. Just cracked a new bottle of Laphroaig 10 year single malt. The smokiest of smokiest single malts. Do not purchase this if you have not had scotch before. The nose is like huffing burning tires....yea that smokey :lol: . Added a few drops of water and it toned it a tad. The taste is salty, not spiced at all, very smooth.

It really draws you in, The strong nose, mild balance, with the salty finish are enticing for yet another sip.

Cheers!
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 pm Spoke to the owner a couple weeks back...now in stock here in Maryland. Picked up my first bottle, going to start with the BiB.....gonna open her up tonight.

Ah, I'm sorry! I missed this post. You like it ok, I trust?

We won't have Maryland Rye in bottles again for another two years, releasing it as a BIB.

And Laphroaig? It's like Rauchbier-----you have to be in the mood with it, and you have to have VERY flavorful meat with it. You just can't sip on that stuff without food to balance it out, IMHO.

I
DMac

Post by DMac »

Even looks good to this non liquor drinker, bottles make for a nice presentation.
Give your marketing folks a thumbs up from me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 pm Spoke to the owner a couple weeks back...now in stock here in Maryland. Picked up my first bottle, going to start with the BiB.....gonna open her up tonight.

We won't have Maryland Rye in bottles again for another two years, releasing it as a BIB.

And Laphroaig? It's like Rauchbier-----you have to be in the mood with it, and you have to have VERY flavorful meat with it. You just can't sip on that stuff without food to balance it out, IMHO.

I
Indeed: I tagged you guys on social media.

First pour was neat, in a rocks glass. Tonight, in a Glencairn with 3 drops of water....each pour I allowed it to open its bouquet before sipping, taking in the notes every few minutes.

Notes: Complex is an understatement. I have picked up caramel, vanilla, leather, some cocoa, maybe a crisp apple in there and even something reminiscent of opening an old barn door with dried tobacco and freshly sawn wood.

Taste: I prefer to chew each sip a few times which allows the sip to rest on the palate, where you will then pick up the spice of the oak and white pepper. The longer you allow it to linger, it can test your will.....appreciate it. There is just enough oil in the pour from the corn in the mashbill which allows the complexity to linger.

Finish: pleasant. a hint of floral, and reminiscent of all things the nose gathered.

As one that worked a farm for years, this pour takes me back to truly simpler times.
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm And Laphroaig? It's like Rauchbier-----
Never had Rauchbier.

As for the Laphroaig 10 Year, when I first opened it, I was truly disappointed and immediately thought I had wasted my money. It's been sitting for a couple months and I just went back to it, wanting to take a little break from bourbon....and damned if I don't enjoy it now. What seemed to help, is that I have been doing more and more reviews with bourbons, and I now have this inquisitiveness to solve something I know so very little about... for my own sake. It has become an opportunity to turn off the world and focus on where the senses and memory collide.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:49 am
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm

I
Indeed: I tagged you guys on social media.

First pour was neat, in a rocks glass. Tonight, in a Glencairn with 3 drops of water....each pour I allowed it to open its bouquet before sipping, taking in the notes every few minutes.

Notes: Complex is an understatement. I have picked up caramel, vanilla, leather, some cocoa, maybe a crisp apple in there and even something reminiscent of opening an old barn door with dried tobacco and freshly sawn wood.

Taste: I prefer to chew each sip a few times which allows the sip to rest on the palate, where you will then pick up the spice of the oak and white pepper. The longer you allow it to linger, it can test your will.....appreciate it. There is just enough oil in the pour from the corn in the mashbill which allows the complexity to linger.

Finish: pleasant. a hint of floral, and reminiscent of all things the nose gathered.

As one that worked a farm for years, this pour takes me back to truly simpler times.
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm And Laphroaig? It's like Rauchbier-----
Never had Rauchbier.

As for the Laphroaig 10 Year, when I first opened it, I was truly disappointed and immediately thought I had wasted my money. It's been sitting for a couple months and I just went back to it, wanting to take a little break from bourbon....and damned if I don't enjoy it now. What seemed to help, is that I have been doing more and more reviews with bourbons, and I now have this inquisitiveness to solve something I know so very little about... for my own sake. It has become an opportunity to turn off the world and focus on where the senses and memory collide.
:D You should be writing a monthly column somewhere. Thanks.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 pm Even looks good to this non liquor drinker, bottles make for a nice presentation.
Give your marketing folks a thumbs up from me.
Kind of you to say! They've done a wonderful job, I agree.

My brother taught himself to use Adobe Illustrator to design our labels....and did so for 15 years. We could finally afford to hire pros just last year! :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Funny post on Twitter....

I feel united more than ever... with bourbon.

https://twitter.com/timrunshismouth/sta ... 51525?s=21
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”