2021 Schedule News

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Tdemling6

Re: 2021 Schedule News

Post by Tdemling6 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:54 pm RT @the_post_game: We have a source that confirmed an Ivy League school won’t be playing lacrosse this spring- others likely to follow. Very sad state of affairs and we hope those athletes get a chance to do what they love in the near future
Harvard, Princeton not playing. Been that way for multiple months now. Shame. Could be more to follow.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tdemling6 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:53 pm Harvard, Princeton not playing. Been that way for multiple months now. Shame. Could be more to follow.
Agreed. It's not good and... I just can't have another 2020. As long as we have some games, hopefully a lot of games, I'll be happy. We need games.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
calourie

Post by calourie »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:08 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:54 pm RT @the_post_game: We have a source that confirmed an Ivy League school won’t be playing lacrosse this spring- others likely to follow. Very sad state of affairs and we hope those athletes get a chance to do what they love in the near future
+1

Very sad state of affairs indeed. Hopefully TD is able to play somewhere in 2021, any top 10 team would KILL to have him. Ivies making a big mistake, but there are many posters who wouldn't dare admit it out of sheer stubbornness.

Joe
Time to come down off of that high horse, Joe. I'll guarantee there aren't any posters in here who want to see Yale lacrosse more than myself, particularly this year with TD at the dot. It wouldn't hurt my sensibilities one bit to have the league administrators come up with a formula and framework that would allow them to feel comfortable allowing a spring sports season to occur. But I can also sympathize with those administrators who judge it to be a socially unacceptable to loosen the restrictions that they have put in place to insure the health and safety of all those associated with their schools in order for that to happen. There are currently tens of millions of people in the US willingly or unwillingly foregoing many of the things that they love to do on account of Covid. The inability to participate in intercollegiate sports for what now it looks like it will be two spring seasons in the Ivies is small price to pay for what those in the leadership of the Ivy League perceive to be to the benefit of the common good. Ivy League lacrosse will survive the loss of Sowers, Teat, Irelan et al should this season not come to fruition as it appears more and more likely it won't. Perhaps there will be some transfer attrition among those recruits who can't live without 4 years of lacrosse eligibility, but those members will be easily replaced by newcomers who won't have to compete against the increased numbers of fifth year eligibles and the like that will happen at other schools.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

calourie wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:56 pm
+1

Very sad state of affairs indeed. Hopefully TD is able to play somewhere in 2021, any top 10 team would KILL to have him. Ivies making a big mistake, but there are many posters who wouldn't dare admit it out of sheer stubbornness.

Joe
Time to come down off of that high horse, Joe. I'll guarantee there aren't any posters in here who want to see Yale lacrosse more than myself, particularly this year with TD at the dot. It wouldn't hurt my sensibilities one bit to have the league administrators come up with a formula and framework that would allow them to feel comfortable allowing a spring sports season to occur. But I can also sympathize with those administrators who judge it to be a socially unacceptable to loosen the restrictions that they have put in place to insure the health and safety of all those associated with their schools in order for that to happen. There are currently tens of millions of people in the US willingly or unwillingly foregoing many of the things that they love to do on account of Covid. The inability to participate in intercollegiate sports for what now it looks like it will be two spring seasons in the Ivies is small price to pay for what those in the leadership of the Ivy League perceive to be to the benefit of the common good. Ivy League lacrosse will survive the loss of Sowers, Teat, Irelan et al should this season not come to fruition as it appears more and more likely it won't. Perhaps there will be some transfer attrition among those recruits who can't live without 4 years of lacrosse eligibility, but those members will be easily replaced by newcomers who won't have to compete against the increased numbers of fifth year eligibles and the like that will happen at other schools.
The “good” news to me is,
an affirmation that the markets still work.

If an Ivy school, or the Ivies collectively shut down
all spring sports, and it is their right to do what is
in their best interests,

then likewise, individual kids can do what is in their
best interests, enter the transfer portal, seek a
better opportunity.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Spring semester starts Jan. 25 at Hopkins. TD and Teat better decide soon😉
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Looking for Duke's traditional February loss? Check Air Force's schedule. LOL

No seriously, Air Force has one heck of an OCC schedule this year - Denver, Utah, Duke, UVA, RMU, UNC. That's some serious competition right there, even Utah should be tough as its been a one-goal game the past two seasons and RMU has likely their best team ever.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2021/01/21/2 ... e-falcons/
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:07 pm
The “good” news to me is,
an affirmation that the markets still work.

If an Ivy school, or the Ivies collectively shut down
all spring sports, and it is their right to do what is
in their best interests,

then likewise, individual kids can do what is in their
best interests, enter the transfer portal, seek a
better opportunity.
I share this point of view. An Ivy League education is an excellent opportunity, but if someone on the lacrosse team values their opportunity to play college lacrosse in 2021 more than they value an Ivy League degree, who are we to judge? Or if they value staying and receiving an Ivy League degree more than they value the opportunity to play (this year or ever again, even), who are we to judge that, either? In any situation, you have to take the good parts and the bad parts of it, you can't pick and choose - it's a package deal.

I may not agree with what the Ivy League/their presidents decide about this spring, but I realize I'm not in a position to vociferously criticize them over whatever they decide. They are more qualified and have access to better information than I do for making that decision - and I don't think any option they could come up with would be without downsides and its critics. They are all trying to do what they think is best for their respective and collective schools, whether we agree with it or not. The students/athletes are trying to do the same for themselves.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Looks like Towson will dropping their schedule at 2 on LSN
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

calourie wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:56 pm
+1

Joe
Calourie,

I'm not on "my high horse". My point is this, regarding this statement "The inability to participate in intercollegiate sports for what now it looks like it will be two spring seasons in the Ivies is small price to pay for what those in the leadership of the Ivy League perceive to be to the benefit of the common good"

You have NO CLUE that this is the reason why they are deciding not to play. It's the reason everybody wants to believe, but IMO its way more likely that those schools only care about THEIR liability should there be a rash of cancellations, anybody getting seriously ill( unlikely, but certainly not 100% guaranteed, as nothing is in life!) The Schools can do a WAY better job of communicating, the owe it to the athletes that bust their ass for them on a regular basis and now have had practically TWO entire years of sports wiped out. They don't have access to any different information than these other conferences, but for god's sake, communicate better. And in the short-term, it will hurt the conference. You don't replace a Teat. TD Ierlan, Michael Sowers right away. It just seems like the balance part of student-athlete is off. That is my gripe. Were going to have a season with or without the Ivies, I have made my bones with it. Just won't understanding the lack of communication and CLEAR, specific reasoning to a much, much less degree.

Joe
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:33 am Looking for Duke's traditional February loss? Check Air Force's schedule. LOL

No seriously, Air Force has one heck of an OCC schedule this year - Denver, Utah, Duke, UVA, RMU, UNC. That's some serious competition right there, even Utah should be tough as its been a one-goal game the past two seasons and RMU has likely their best team ever.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2021/01/21/2 ... e-falcons/
It's a really impressive move by them and great for their kids getting including scrimmage to play 4 acc schools.

the cuse-utah matchup is also interesting. you don't see blueblood programs playing schools for the first time very often.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am Robert Morris : https://rmucolonials.com/sports/mens-la ... edule/2021
Interesting notes:
RMU only has two home games. This (one?) season as an independent, they will be road warriors.
April 17 @ Cornell... :!: :?:
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

That Merrimack link is for Quinnipiac
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

deleted
Last edited by 10stone5 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”