Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu08

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu08 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:53 am with a b1g schedule primarily, the only way all 4 of those b1gs are top 20+ is if hopkins is a good deal under .500.
Yeah, you're right. My guesses at numbers were where they were going to be in most pre-season polls/rankings.
Last edited by jhu08 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:27 am Have to admit I am surprised of the news that Denver will go to North Carolina to play Duke and UNC but they do have to travel significantly to play their conference opponents - thought they might bag OOCs altoegther or play Air Force and Utah.
if the ath dept is committed (what's their hockey team doing?), they get a lot more mileage (literally) out of trying to catch a win in the acc. and 2 games.

gives them a mulligan maybe on not being conference winner.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:10 am Not playing Syracuse or UNC this year. If we do have any OOC games they will probably be just 1 or 2 out of Towson, Loyola, MSM, Delaware, Georgetown, UMBC. But it's starting to look more likely than not that none of the Big Ten teams are able to schedule non-con games due to the conference's unique testing protocols. Would be a slight bummer but still, 10 games of B1G play in a pandemic would be more than good enough for me. Plus the rumor is every team will make the conference tournament—not sure that that makes any sense but if true it would guarantee at least an 11th game, assuming no cancellations of course.
I've heard Loyola and Hopkins upper brass have been sharing COVID details with each other. It makes sense geographically for two schools to play that are only 2 miles apart from one another.

The only dates I can see is between February 14th and the 20th. Perhaps a midweek game between the two schools. Its the one game my family and i really really look forward to every single year.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Uh oh. Strategic Plan released. 9 viewgraphs. Woohoo!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I would not anticipate any mid week games, especially those that are OOC. It seems as if conferences are are staying in their own bubbles and only going outside them if that other conference has the same CV-19 standards.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

jhu08 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:05 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:58 am Towards the topic of scheduling and OOC - Villanova has announced their schedule and their two OOCs - Delaware and Lehigh - are both essentially 45 miles from the Villanova campus. Somewhat surprised it's not Drexel or St. Joe's for example but still very close. Maybe I'm wrong - but I would be surprised if Hop went to Chapel Hill, Syracuse or vice versa. No one's calling Milliman except for maybe Nadelen, Toomey, Gravante, and Moran probably.
I've put my expectations "low" on OOC stuff, too.

Mentally, I'm planning on conference only, so I won't be disappointed if it is.

But I think the best case in the local-only scenario of Loyola and Towson (plus our 10 conference games) would make for a pretty darn solid schedule. I'd be thrilled with that schedule.

I haven't looked all that closely at the various early rankings, but I suspect we'd have in most of them
2 games against a top 5 opponent (Terps)
7 games against a top 10/15-ish opponent (Terps, PSU, OSU, Loyola)
9 games against a top 20/receiving votes opponent (Terps, PSU, OSU, Rutgers, Loyola)

Michigan and Towson would look on paper to be the weaker opponents on our slate, and I would not consider either of them to be bad or anything close to a free win.
-it's an enormous recruiting opportunity for the big ten, especially if the ivy does not play. You'll basically only have 2 conferences playing weekly top 10 matchups on national tv and the acc isn't slated to have as many conference games. that's Milliman's men of magic getting beamed in to young kids around the country playing against school brands they know.
-now ok the band.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

TD Ierlan in the transfer portal again due to Ivy League uncertainty. Could be the first of many: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2021/57173

Our FO unit is probably one of the team's strengths (wing play TBD) but he's the type of game-changing talent that pretty much every program in the country will be after. Milliman did recruit and coach TD's brother at Cornell... :idea:
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 pm TD Ierlan in the transfer portal again due to Ivy League uncertainty. Could be the first of many: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2021/57173

Our FO unit is probably one of the team's strengths (wing play TBD) but he's the type of game-changing talent that pretty much every program in the country will be after. Milliman did recruit and coach TD's brother at Cornell... :idea:
w/all the defections and players leaving there should be plenty of $ and spots outside of attack to add guys.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I like TD to Hopkins,
how are you guys fixed for one year
Grad degrees ?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Love this clip of Koesterer exhorting his D men at practice.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 18721?s=21

Heck, this gets me fired up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:10 pm I like TD to Hopkins,
how are you guys fixed for one year
Grad degrees ?
I think I read somewhere TD is studying finance—Hop's business school does not yet have the renown of some of its competitors but they do offer a 1-year MS in finance. I'm not sure what program Cole Williams is enrolled in, might be that one.

In other news Coach K was mic'd up at practice. Seems like a fun guy to play for:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 0444318721

I'm a little worried we haven't seen #76 in any of these videos and there is at least one guy clearly wearing a boot in the video above.

Martin and Arteaga look like they're working with the SSDMs
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 pm TD Ierlan in the transfer portal again due to Ivy League uncertainty. Could be the first of many: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2021/57173

w/all the defections and players leaving there should be plenty of $ and spots outside of attack to add guys.
if he was the best attackman, he would have a spot.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:24 pm I'm a little worried we haven't seen #76 in any of these videos and there is at least one guy clearly wearing a boot in the video above.
"Clearly"? - I can't find that Waldo - I see the guy doing push ups at the top of the bleachers but I never saw a boot
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:05 pm w/all the defections and players leaving there should be plenty of $ and spots outside of attack to add guys.
There's 57 people on the roster - do you think John Schreiber and Giacalone were absorbing full schollies or something?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:05 pm w/all the defections and players leaving there should be plenty of $ and spots outside of attack to add guys.
There's 57 people on the roster - do you think John Schreiber and Giacalone were absorbing full schollies or something?
that's on me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:24 pm I'm a little worried we haven't seen #76 in any of these videos and there is at least one guy clearly wearing a boot in the video above.
"Clearly"? - I can't find that Waldo - I see the guy doing push ups at the top of the bleachers but I never saw a boot
At the risk of going down another Zapruder rabbit hole...

Center of the frame. These practice videos have some slick camerawork—I suspect STX may have sent its production team to help with them.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:10 am Not playing Syracuse or UNC this year. If we do have any OOC games they will probably be just 1 or 2 out of Towson, Loyola, MSM, Delaware, Georgetown, UMBC. But it's starting to look more likely than not that none of the Big Ten teams are able to schedule non-con games due to the conference's unique testing protocols. Would be a slight bummer but still, 10 games of B1G play in a pandemic would be more than good enough for me. Plus the rumor is every team will make the conference tournament—not sure that that makes any sense but if true it would guarantee at least an 11th game, assuming no cancellations of course.
That we now have almost 10 teams from other leagues that are playing non-conference games who have put out their full schedules, and there hasn't been a single Big Ten team appearing on any of them, I think you're probably right. It's still not impossible that every Big Ten team could be playing 1 or 2 non-conference games, but I'm feeling like it's unlikely.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sorry - didn't mean to take anyone down a rabbit hole. It's funny I watched that thing like 3 times and somehow never absorbed that kid standing there - if that was Smith - being out clearly sets him back but a boot is typically better than crutches and a leg brace - not guaranteed of course. Regardless, hope the player recovers quickly.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Never been in JHU locker room or building but the campus and Homewood are beautiful and impressive and I wouldn't care if weight room was outdated facility compared to any sports factory.

Hopkin fogos are a team strength. Maybe some IVY middies become available
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Towson's schedule is out and we're not on it. I've made my peace with a Big Ten only schedule this season. 10 games is plenty in a pandemic. If they want to add a few more I suppose they could have some of the teams play each other three times instead of just twice...but that's probably trying to do a bit much, and I'm not sure how you'd make that fair anyway.

Assuming no surprises, this would all mean the first game will be the weekend of Feb. 20 against one of our B1G pals, and then one game a week thereafter through April. Conference tournament either the following weekend, or after a potential make-up date weekend.

They put headshots of the new players on the roster and Ryan Evans' is quite something.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”