Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by faircornell »

He looked great in the World Games. He was playing against bigger, stronger, older pros and held his own.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I heard he talks funny, drives on the wrong side of the road, and his toilet swirls the wrong way.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

DMac wrote:I heard he talks funny, drives on the wrong side of the road, and his toilet swirls the wrong way.

We'll get used to it. At least the first two. Merry Christmas Dmac. salut1
DMac

Post by DMac »

Right back at you, Ivy...to you and yours.
Heard Mr. Downunda thinks a Louisiana roux is hopping marsupial too.
He'll figure it all out....bein' an Ivy boy and all.
;)
justabloke

Post by justabloke »

interesting IL pre-season all conference selections with only Teat and Bray. Both are studs. Teat should put up 115 points this year, i would think. another year. am surprised they named Ierlan at FO. i'd have a feeling one of our FOs will go alright this year and tip the tables upside down. anyone agree?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

McCulloch, too. I'd take Petterson over Morrill.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Ierlan is the gold standard.
Head to head last season, I believe Ierlan won 23 of 24 or 24 of 24 vs. Raz. Though Raz improved significantly over the course of the season, I think our expectation will be for him to hold his own against Ierlan and Arceri (Penn St.).

McCulloch - he's definitely improved and expanded his game the last two seasons. Has a big time shot. Where he comes up short vs. elite middies (not to mention Dowiak) is his inability to shoot off of a dodge. Step up shooter as opposed to a middie who will run through a defender. It will be interesting to see the impact of Teat being locked off (regularly) on McCulloch's production.

Pettersen - Cornell's offense is the perfect fit for him. I''ll take him on my team any day. Morrill is a special talent. Now that Reeves has graduated, I'm curious to see if his play continues off the charts as he will draw opponents' best cover defender.

As for Bray, it's nice to see him get well-deserved recognition. I always thought...and still think he would have excelled as an attackman. Regardless, he has really flourished as a ss. Besides toughness and quick feet, he must have a great motor. I think he's on the field as much as Chris Cook was, a similiar offensive player who excelled as a shortie.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Cornell to be featured in IL’s “The Season” series for 2019. Should be a fascinating inside look at the program: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2019/53556
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

laxjuris wrote:Cornell to be featured in IL’s “The Season” series for 2019. Should be a fascinating inside look at the program: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2019/53556
I'm not familiar with "The Season" but I hope it doesn't become a distraction for the players and coaches.
another fan

Post by another fan »

VeryRustyRed wrote:Ierlan is the gold standard.
Head to head last season, I believe Ierlan won 23 of 24 or 24 of 24 vs. Raz. Though Raz improved significantly over the course of the season, I think our expectation will be for him to hold his own against Ierlan and Arceri (Penn St.).

McCulloch - he's definitely improved and expanded his game the last two seasons. Has a big time shot. Where he comes up short vs. elite middies (not to mention Dowiak) is his inability to shoot off of a dodge. Step up shooter as opposed to a middie who will run through a defender. It will be interesting to see the impact of Teat being locked off (regularly) on McCulloch's production.

Pettersen - Cornell's offense is the perfect fit for him. I''ll take him on my team any day. Morrill is a special talent. Now that Reeves has graduated, I'm curious to see if his play continues off the charts as he will draw opponents' best cover defender.

As for Bray, it's nice to see him get well-deserved recognition. I always thought...and still think he would have excelled as an attackman. Regardless, he has really flourished as a ss. Besides toughness and quick feet, he must have a great motor. I think he's on the field as much as Chris Cook was, a similiar offensive player who excelled as a shortie.
Faceoffs-- Ierlan did pitch a shutout last year, mostly against Raz, but also with Tria, and poles taking a couple drawers. Interestly, Raz did very well against Arceri and Mackie. Ierlan will again be a handful, but I expect Raz or one or more of our other 4 fogos to make things much more competitive this year. In addition to Arceri at Penn State, Lehigh will also have a very tough duo, including a freshman.

McCulloch-- I agree he is a great shooter and has really broadened his game. I think you may be somewhat underestimating the improvement in his dodging. Check out the fall scrimmage highlights against Md. for an example.

Pettersen-- Just as you wonder about how McCulloch will be impacted by Teat shutoffs, the same issue could be raised with Pettersen, who is
a great finisher and benefits from Teat generally, as well as having played with him for years, including before Cornell and in Juniors. Box is a very different game, but I am encouraged that while Teat was playing in the world games, Petersen put Brampton on his shoulders and nearly got them to the finals.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

"I'm not familiar with "The Season" but I hope it doesn't become a distraction for the players and coaches."

I think this program is a mistake. It is a distraction and it free programming at a team's expense. Look how it helped Duke, Ohio State, Syracuse and UNC. It's the STX kiss of death.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

seriously? wrote:"I'm not familiar with "The Season" but I hope it doesn't become a distraction for the players and coaches."

I think this program is a mistake. It is a distraction and it free programming at a team's expense. Look how it helped Duke, Ohio State, Syracuse and UNC. It's the STX kiss of death.
Duke lost in the National Championship...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nits/53578

3. Cornell

Jeff Teat
Clarke Petterson
John Piatelli
The Big Red attack could be due for a big year with the return of Jeff Teat (37G, 62A) for his junior season. The lefty is an outstanding passer and has a lacrosse IQ that simply cannot be taught. Cornell also has Clarke Petterson (44G, 19A) coming back, a finisher who is often a recipient of Teat’s feeds. Sophomore John Piatelli (16G, 10A) made several appearances last season, netting 26 points. Piatelli is a quarterback type who could take the dodging pressure off of Teat. Cornell also has Colton Rupp (12G) in reserve and receives two very capable freshmen in JJ Lombardi and Billy Coyle.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
another fan

Post by another fan »

Billy Coyle is going to push Piatelli for playing time at attack. Small, but extremely quick, plays with both hands, and can score and assist.
Lombardi is a great add as well, but seems destined for time at midfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbhywU39Z68
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

another fan
-Agreed on Coyle. He's a keeper. I think he will contribute as an underclassman.
-Also agree on Lombardi - he's destined, at least initially, for the midfield. But my guess is it's because there is more of a need there. The team has a dearth of middie commitments. I hope he eventually gets to move to attack; I believe that's where he excels the most and has the highest ceiling. Strong upper body, low center of gravity, good hands, swagger = major x-dodging threat.
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Inside Lacrosse showing love to Jeff Teat: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... atch/53614
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

QK showing no love for Cornell (no surprise): https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oint/53601
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:47 am QK showing no love for Cornell (no surprise): https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oint/53601
I don't know about "no love" -- he ranked the Big Red in the top 10 (agreed they could be higher within the top 10) and did not make any wisecracks about the "shut off Teat" issue. Seemed fairly positive from QK even if quite possibly might be off 4-6 spots?

I do think, on the substance, QK is probably overestimating the "question mark" in goal after how well Bullen played when Knight was out. And as a Yale fan who remembers how that Big Red semi ran over Yale in the ILT and sees how much they have coming back/coming in, it's easy for me to see the Big Red as a top 5 team who could repeat as Ivy Champs.

Should be a great season in the Ivies.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

IL ranked JT51 the 4th best college player in the USA. The 2nd male player behind Pet Spencer of Loyola.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Cornell season preview at US Lacrosse: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -into-2019

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”