The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:14 am
DMac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 am Not that we need one more thing to argue about, tech, it's plenty ugly around here lately as it is, but I'm not so sure about that Donald being reelected but for covid part. Policies aside, there are a lot of people who are okay with his style, arrogance, narcissism (nobody's ever done anything better than I have) and general behavior, but there are a whole lot of people who are not too. I wouldn't have voted for him covid or no covid, I don't like having a Prez who even his supporters say is unfit for office...makes no sense to me. This, along with many other subjects here, will never be settled but on with the bickering we'll go (collectively).
Thanks DMac. I understand perfectly well what you're saying. It's my opinion that Trump would have been reelected, sans Covid, but I still would not have voted either way.

As it stands now, I hope folks with cooler heads can figure out a way that legally Trump can't run in '24 without blowing up his most rabid supporters.
Hillary would have won the election had the Russians not supported Trump and worked against Hillary.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 am Not that we need one more thing to argue about, tech, it's plenty ugly around here lately as it is, but I'm not so sure about that Donald being reelected but for covid part. Policies aside, there are a lot of people who are okay with his style, arrogance, narcissism (nobody's ever done anything better than I have) and general behavior, but there are a whole lot of people who are not too. I wouldn't have voted for him covid or no covid, I don't like having a Prez who even his supporters say is unfit for office...makes no sense to me. This, along with many other subjects here, will never be settled but on with the bickering we'll go (collectively).
Thanks DMac. I understand perfectly well what you're saying. It's my opinion that Trump would have been reelected, sans Covid, but I still would not have voted either way.

As it stands now, I hope folks with cooler heads can figure out a way that legally Trump can't run in '24 without blowing up his most rabid supporters.
Convict in the impeachment trial, and by a majority vote after, you prevent him from running for ANY federal office. Does require 17 Rs to vote with the Ds, however.

Don't know if enough of them have either the guts or the sense to do it, however.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 am

Convict in the impeachment trial, and by a majority vote after, you prevent him from running for ANY federal office. Does require 17 Rs to vote with the Ds, however.

Don't know if enough of them have either the guts or the sense to do it, however.
I get that. If convicted though, are there ways of pardoning him to relieve the pressure build with his more rabid supporters? Unless you'd like to see things blow up again. I'm looking for some balance.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:40 am

I get that. If convicted though, are there ways of pardoning him to relieve the pressure build with his more rabid supporters? Unless you'd like to see things blow up again. I'm looking for some balance.
You mean more appeasement?

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ ... ppeasement

If I were one of the decisions makers, I would crush them this time around.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

He should NOT be pardoned. The supporters need to be told the truth, no matter how painful, as their delusions due to all the Big Lies need to be abandoned.

Balance requires that the LARGE portion of the population brainwashed by the rabid RW media learn that they have been feed BS for a number of years, and start to get correct information about the state of the world.

Years ago, due to my position as a Presbyterian elder on a committee dealing with church conflict, I had the pleasure of getting sent to a conference to learn about conflict resolution. Speed Leas, the leader, had come up with a five (later six) set of levels of conflict, ranging from 1 for normal conflict (if you have a problem, you get together and just work it out) to 5 where you have wars/murder/etc (close to where we are now). But he later added a level 0 - where you suppress the conflict by just saying it is gone and not there. Quite common in the Communist/authoritarian nations. But what happens when you do that is when you inevitably get conflict that boils up you get to level 4 instantly...

Truth needs to be told, and the bad things laid on the table in a way that allows for acknowledgement of the problem and the achievement of justice, as that must happen for true healing to occur. Those guilty of crimes must be punished so the supporters who did not commit crimes see the process and understand that they should no longer be supporting that sort of activity. And those who opposed the Trump lawlessness need to see that justice to know that they have been heard, and there is justice in the world.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:50 am

He should NOT be pardoned. The supporters need to be told the truth, no matter how painful, as their delusions due to all the Big Lies need to be abandoned.

Balance requires that the LARGE portion of the population brainwashed by the rabid RW media learn that they have been feed BS for a number of years, and start to get correct information about the state of the world.

Years ago, due to my position as a Presbyterian elder on a committee dealing with church conflict, I had the pleasure of getting sent to a conference to learn about conflict resolution. Speed Leas, the leader, had come up with a five (later six) set of levels of conflict, ranging from 1 for normal conflict (if you have a problem, you get together and just work it out) to 5 where you have wars/murder/etc (close to where we are now). But he later added a level 0 - where you suppress the conflict by just saying it is gone and not there. Quite common in the Communist/authoritarian nations. But what happens when you do that is when you inevitably get conflict that boils up you get to level 4 instantly...

Truth needs to be told, and the bad things laid on the table in a way that allows for acknowledgement of the problem and the achievement of justice, as that must happen for true healing to occur. Those guilty of crimes must be punished so the supporters who did not commit crimes see the process and understand that they should no longer be supporting that sort of activity. And those who opposed the Trump lawlessness need to see that justice to know that they have been heard, and there is justice in the world.
Thanks for your reply/opinion. Respectfully I disagree. Best outcome, IMO, neuter Trump politically but then lower the temperature, if possible, with a pardon. Let's not forget almost 75 million voted for Trump... that's the context. Anyone trying/wishing to stop the divide and/or reduce the violent territory we've entered, should consider that.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply/opinion. Respectfully I disagree. Best outcome, IMO, neuter Trump politically but then lower the temperature, if possible, with a pardon. Let's not forget almost 75 million voted for Trump... that's the context. Anyone trying/wishing to stop the divide and/or reduce the violent territory we've entered, should consider that.
How many of those 75 million would accept that Trump has lied to them?
Typical Lax Dad

Let’s not forget more people voted for Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump. What did he do to make peace and lower the temperature with “libs”?
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

You also have to understand for those who have opposed Trump and his lies, the lack of a real punishment for Trump would actually also inflame things greatly. That is why you _must_ not pardon him. For Nixon, the thought was that forced to resign in disgrace was sufficient punishment (which I opposed at the time and in hindsight I think it was also a mistake today, if not for different reasons).

Trump's needs real punishment here.

And truth and reconciliation can be done without inflaming the populace too much. It has been done in other places, and while imperfect in its results, it is a better solution than trying to bury the "feelings" of the Trumpists. Those who support Trumpism need to be brought to the realization that they have been told lies for years, and that there is a required accountability by those who have believed them to society.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am

Let’s not forget more people voted for Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump. What did he do to make peace and lower the temperature with “libs”?
You could axe that same question of all those NYS libs who gladly accepted all of dumps cash when he was a Democrat. It seems like for most of his life dump and the NYS libs always had a love affair based around money.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

:lol:
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:41 am

You could axe that same question of all those NYS libs who gladly accepted all of dumps cash when he was a Democrat. It seems like for most of his life dump and the NYS libs always had a love affair based around money.
:lol: :lol: :lol: “axe” :lol:
“I wish you would!”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:13 amHow many of those 75 million would accept that Trump has lied to them?
That's really the nub of it. Trump lied so often, and "shaded" the truth to fit his desired worldview...and people's "view" of him and his opinions...that there is just no wonder that we're as divided as we are. 75 million people voted for WHAT, exactly? Donald's version of the truth?

Would be interested to know just what it is about Red's reply that Tech disagrees with...? To me, Red was offering an opinion about a PATH out of divisiveness, not necessarily a particular "preferred outcome".

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am That's aks, not axe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vjEnkQdaHM
Cradleandshoot must have picked that up from his friend.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:43 am :lol:

Was that racist of me? :oops:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not the way I see it, I see it as a dialect thing.
Little girl needs to buy sanitary napkins for the first time, doesn't know what to buy. Asks the guy at the counter for help, he asks, "what's your flow like? She answers, "linoleum". That racist or a dialect thing?
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:43 am :lol:

Was that racist of me? :oops:
No.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Kyle Griffin@kylegriffin1
1 hour ago
Punchbowl News: Biden has quietly invited members of the congressional leadership from both parties to attend church with him on Wednesday AM. The service will take place at St. Matthew's in D.C. Attendees include Nancy Pelosi, Kevin McCarthy, Mitch McConnell, and Chuck Schumer.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:33 am

You also have to understand for those who have opposed Trump and his lies, the lack of a real punishment for Trump would actually also inflame things greatly. That is why you _must_ not pardon him. For Nixon, the thought was that forced to resign in disgrace was sufficient punishment (which I opposed at the time and in hindsight I think it was also a mistake today, if not for different reasons).

Trump's needs real punishment here.

And truth and reconciliation can be done without inflaming the populace too much. It has been done in other places, and while imperfect in its results, it is a better solution than trying to bury the "feelings" of the Trumpists. Those who support Trumpism need to be brought to the realization that they have been told lies for years, and that there is a required accountability by those who have believed them to society.
Whose definition of "real punishment"...yours? You keep forgetting how many American citizens have a different opinion from yours.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Kyle Griffin@kylegriffin1
2 hours ago
Joe Biden has announced the nomination of Dr. Rachel Levine to serve as Assistant Secretary for Health at the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
She is poised to become the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “POLITICS”