The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Matnum PI

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by Matnum PI »

2 Days until the White House is revamped...

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MAGAISTAN vs WOKEISTAN

The brilliant Eric Weinstein has astutely created these terms that represent the extreme factions we currently are saddled with.
IMO, if the country is to avoid further division (driven mainly by these factions and their respective sycophants) these extreme groups must somehow be marginalized going forward.

I hope it's not too late.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Not too late at all!

D's elected another center-right guy who's not very "WOKE". You had ads and threads and threads about his decades old crime stance issues and touching issues and other problems.

The "WOKE" wing of the D party is a small fraction with little power, but it is certainly growing.

the "MAGA" wing of the R party was in charge of the country for four years, with most of the R's jumping on board and cheering after Trump won. And even now, only a few are abandoning the ship at the very end.

MAGAISTAN vs WOKEISTAN is a made up dichotomy.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:14 am MAGAISTAN vs WOKEISTAN

The brilliant Eric Weinstein has astutely created these terms that represent the extreme factions we currently are saddled with.
IMO, if the country is to avoid further division (driven mainly by these factions and their respective sycophants) these extreme groups must somehow be marginalized going forward.

While I don't think the threat is equivalent, I'd agree that extremes are a problem regardless of left or right.

I'm more worried about authoritarianism gaining sway than either left or right tilts. And right now, that's definitely become a violent threat from the right, and embraced by millions of Americans who believe the Big Lie.

As to 'woke', I think the demands by some for perfection in our 'wokeness' can border on the absurd, certainly the unreasonable, but I don't think the right response is rejection to the underlying demand for respect for differences, dismissal of demands for justice.

Seems to me that the right response is sincere introspection, both individually and societally, and then a moderated response that constructively addresses the legitimate concerns.

Likewise, I think there are legitimate concerns by some who felt the pull of MAGA and these concerns and insecurities need to be better addressed by those with political power...not incitement of anger, hate and violence, but a moderated response that deals constructively with various realities that cause economic and personal insecurity...from jobs lost to changing technology to opioids...to whatever really matters in improving people's sense of opportunity in our society.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 am

While I don't think the threat is equivalent, I'd agree that extremes are a problem regardless of left or right.

I'm more worried about authoritarianism gaining sway than either left or right tilts. And right now, that's definitely become a violent threat from the right, and embraced by millions of Americans who believe the Big Lie.

As to 'woke', I think the demands by some for perfection in our 'wokeness' can border on the absurd, certainly the unreasonable, but I don't think the right response is rejection to the underlying demand for respect for differences, dismissal of demands for justice.

Seems to me that the right response is sincere introspection, both individually and societally, and then a moderated response that constructively addresses the legitimate concerns.

Likewise, I think there are legitimate concerns by some who felt the pull of MAGA and these concerns and insecurities need to be better addressed by those with political power...not incitement of anger, hate and violence, but a moderated response that deals constructively with various realities that cause economic and personal insecurity...from jobs lost to changing technology to opioids...to whatever really matters in improving people's sense of opportunity in our society.
The communists have their own subtle means for violence and how they control peoples speech and behavior. You do be remember how the chicoms reacted to the protests in Tiananmen square? You forget how easy it is to hide a governments misdeeds when you control everything the media says and does. Decide what intolerance you consider the most dangerous problem in the world today. A small bunch of dipsticks that idolize nazism or a billion chicoms that still adhere to what Chairman Mao wrote in his Little Red Book. If you want a really fun read go look up some of Mao's quotes from that Little Red Book. You decide for yourself who wants to destroy all of us "capitalists"
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

yup, authoritarians of all stripes...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:53 am Not too late at all!

D's elected another center-right guy who's not very "WOKE". You had ads and threads and threads about his decades old crime stance issues and touching issues and other problems.

The "WOKE" wing of the D party is a small fraction with little power, but it is certainly growing.

the "MAGA" wing of the R party was in charge of the country for four years, with most of the R's jumping on board and cheering after Trump won. And even now, only a few are abandoning the ship at the very end.

MAGAISTAN vs WOKEISTAN is a made up dichotomy.
Right, and made up and advanced in order to create the phony equivalence that the MAGA traitors and conspiracy theorists need to continue their assault on the country's norms. Kind of -- and predictably -- pathetic.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

I suggest you follow the Weinsteins. They speak intelligently, honestly, and convincingly regarding the subject. It probably won't, but listening in could expand your thinking some.

You can start here if interested. I posted this excellent Bret Weinstein podcast last week on another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJdjO0fD4E

This is "intellectual dark web" stuff and may not be your cup of tea for a mainstream guy such as yourself.

Better hurry though, BW, a lefty- progressive has already been banned by Twitter and Facebook. WOKEISTAN doesn't like what he's been saying. Hopefully YouTube doesn't buckle under pressure.

Eric did a segment on Hill/Rising last week and it's archived there. That's where he first talked about MAGAISTAN & WOKEISTAN.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:31 am yup, authoritarians of all stripes...
Them ones in china were running over people with tanks. Those stripes were more like treads.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:56 am

I suggest you follow the Weinsteins. They speak intelligently, honestly, and convincingly regarding the subject. It probably won't, but listening in could expand your thinking some.

You can start here if interested. I posted this excellent Bret Weinstein podcast last week on another thread.

This is "intellectual dark web" stuff and may not be your cup of tea for a mainstream guy such as yourself.

Better hurry though, BW, a lefty- progressive has already been banned by Twitter and Facebook. WOKEISTAN doesn't like what he's been saying. Hopefully YouTube doesn't buckle under pressure.

Eric did a segment on Hill/Rising last week and it's archived there. That's where he first talked about MAGAISTAN & WOKEISTAN.
yeah, I'm not a dark web denizen and won't be.

I know a little bit about the Weinsteins and Bret certainly has some reasonable points. That said, though he may call himself a lefty progressive, seems like he's far more a libertarian than lefty (I'm more libertarian than conservative or lefty too), and he's found himself in opposition to the most strident campus 'woke' crowd. Fair enough, that's the world he used to live in and they drummed him out as a 'racist'. I'd be pretty PO'd too if I were him.

But dark web stuff tends to WAY exaggerate.

Watching...Jeremy Lee Quinn's story is indeed fascinating. Right now at "WildProtest.com"...

Jeremy appears to have a more clear-eyed view of the insurrection, and he was there and inside, than does Bret who seems to want to suggest it was just a few inside, eclectic group...whereas Jeremy said it paramilitary and some eccentrics as well...Jeremy is also very clear as to the leadership from Trump and its effect...and the degree of organization involved in the key elements of the mob.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:37 pm

I know a little bit about the Weinsteins and Bret certainly has some reasonable points. That said, though he may call himself a lefty progressive, seems like he's far more a libertarian than lefty (I'm more libertarian than conservative or lefty too), and he's found himself in opposition to the most strident campus 'woke' crowd. Fair enough, that's the world he used to live in and they drummed him out as a 'racist'. I'd be pretty PO'd too if I were him.

Geez, now there's a blanket statement if I ever saw one. Of course you need to be discerning.

Watching...Jeremy Lee Quinn's story is indeed fascinating. Right now at "WildProtest.com"...

Jeremy appears to have a more clear-eyed view of the insurrection, and he was there and inside, than does Bret who seems to want to suggest it was just a few inside, eclectic group...whereas Jeremy said it paramilitary and some eccentrics as well...Jeremy is also very clear as to the leadership from Trump and its effect...and the degree of organization involved in the key elements of the mob.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yes. For 40 years, economic policies have screwed American working class, and funneled money to the top earners. And fake gridlock has kept America from moving forward the way most other 1st world nations have over this time.

Unless moderates in both parties can come up with a plan to revive, and finally help the American working class? The fringes will make policies for them.

Biden is on the clock. What's his plan?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:37 pm

Geez, now there's a blanket statement if I ever saw one. Of course you need to be discerning.

We'd agree on need to be discerning, but yeah, the dark web is explicitly about anonymity and it's a festering cesspool. Sorry, but that's the reality...does that mean that every visitor/participant is an evil person? of course not.

I'm about half way in...long! Jeremy continues to be more interesting, Bret's description of the mainstream press seems overly self-serving to me, and his description of their treatment of Antifa is an over statement IMO, though I do think the descriptions of the tactics are fascinating. And the appropriation by the various threads of the insurrection crowd.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just wanted to throw this out there for the helluva it and because I take heat when I say I don't know what Black is anymore....ie, Kamala is Black (I didn't know that when I first saw her), Sunny Hostin who screams about being a black woman, Colin Kapernick, etc. One drop rule applies and one can identify whatever way they want, I guess, but I see it as Tiger does.
When he was asked on the Oprah show if it bothered him to be called African American, Tiger answered in the affirmative: “Growing up, I came up with this name: I’m a ‘Cablinasian” (Caucasian-Black-Indian-Asian).
(Oprah didn't like this answer at all...big surprise there)
http://globalcomment.com/tiger-woods-ge ... ity-again/
Yes, I watched the Tiger documentary on HBO, was pretty good.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

You can identify however you want. Just take a 23 and me DNA test and pick whatever you want! AND you have documented proof!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:32 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:52 pm If I disagree with Biden's policy, it doesn't make me partisan nor does it make me a Republican... it simply means I disagree with the policy. Can you possibly understand the nuance?
This is the heart of the bickering we're doing here, so let's just cut to the chase:

Tell me what Biden should do with China. Broad, simple strokes will suffice.

Then you can't come back later and tell us that "he's doing it wrong". You'll be on the record.

And remember-----you just gave Trump a full pass for how he handled Trade during Covid. So you have to do the same for Biden while the virus rages.

And from there.....you just told us that Obama's response to China and Trade was "impotent".

Trump's term is over. Did Trump succeed with China?
a fan, if I'll "be on record" then you need to be on record yourself by accepting the hypothetical position I posed (above). That is the context I have always criticized policies whether you believe it or not. So lose the little r, little d schtick or partisan label you endlessly slap?

I don't know what Biden should or will do. It was campaign rhetoric of course but I'm pretty sure he walked a line somewhere between Trump's trade war and at the same time wanting to bolster international trade laws that China routinely breaks.

By this article it seems Biden isn't sure what he wants either:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN28C0HV

"Biden says will not kill Phase 1 trade deal with China immediately: NYT"

"(Reuters) - Joe Biden will not immediately cancel the trade agreement that President Donald Trump struck with China nor take steps to remove tariffs on Chinese exports, the New York Times on Wednesday quoted the U.S. president-elect as saying."

I never gave Trump a "full pass" on anything. I'd say that's a lie but you get upset with that so let's just say inaccurate and misrepresented.

"Impotent" was the word the article used and was built around. I'd say that seems accurate.

I don't know if Trump succeeded or not. It depends on your definition of 'succeed" in this case. I have said repeatedly that we'll never know because of the Covid interruption. Covid doesn't happen, Trump is reelected and the trade war developments are on-going. Where he did succeed, IMO, was taking China on as no POTUS had before, highlighting China as an adversary, not only for the U.S., but the world.

You don't agree with this, it's not changeable, and that's fine. Extend a courtesy here as you have other posters at times and just say we'll agree to disagree.
Last edited by tech37 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

News report this AM -
"Joe Biden has quietly invited members of the congressional leadership from both parties to attend church with him on Wednesday morning. The service will take place at St. Matthew’s in downtown D.C. Attendees include Pelosi, McCarthy, McConnell and Schumer."

Also ironic that the incoming Biden Administration skipped over succession at DoJ and appointing Monty Wilkinson (Holder's former CoS) as Acting AG over Senate-confirmed John Demers who is Justice Department’s head of the National Security Division. Their rational was, sadly, the same sorry excuse the DOPUS' people have been using for the past four years contravening the law. Evidence of the long-standing damage to the system.

Wilkinson was demoted by Jeff Sessions four years ago.
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

1 Day until moving day...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not that we need one more thing to argue about, tech, it's plenty ugly around here lately as it is, but I'm not so sure about that Donald being reelected but for covid part. Policies aside, there are a lot of people who are okay with his style, arrogance, narcissism (nobody's ever done anything better than I have) and general behavior, but there are a whole lot of people who are not too. I wouldn't have voted for him covid or no covid, I don't like having a Prez who even his supporters say is unfit for office...makes no sense to me. This, along with many other subjects here, will never be settled but on with the bickering we'll go (collectively).
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 am Not that we need one more thing to argue about, tech, it's plenty ugly around here lately as it is, but I'm not so sure about that Donald being reelected but for covid part. Policies aside, there are a lot of people who are okay with his style, arrogance, narcissism (nobody's ever done anything better than I have) and general behavior, but there are a whole lot of people who are not too. I wouldn't have voted for him covid or no covid, I don't like having a Prez who even his supporters say is unfit for office...makes no sense to me. This, along with many other subjects here, will never be settled but on with the bickering we'll go (collectively).
Thanks DMac. I understand perfectly well what you're saying. It's my opinion that Trump would have been reelected, sans Covid, but I still would not have voted either way.

As it stands now, I hope folks with cooler heads can figure out a way that legally Trump can't run in '24 without blowing up his most rabid supporters.

Return to “POLITICS”