CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
6x6

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 pm Oh, and make sure you get yourself some selfies/on camera so you can show your friends (and authorities) what a courageous patriot you are too. Phukin maroons.
Like these brain surgeons..Dmac.
https://youtu.be/W1HGe6TEYHY
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol: :lol:
"What are you doing....what are you doing?"
Exactly!
Sabastian is pretty funny.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:53 am Why wait, just crucify them all b/c they they were there in the first place.
Why wouldn't you take to task ANYONE who entered the building illegally, damaged and stole property and caused harm to others?
Feel free to elaborate on your statement.
I was speaking in general terms about everyone on the mall that day. Seems around these parts, if you support this past administration in any fashion, you are either a, white supremist, racist, trumpist, or fill in the blank with any negative connotation. The gaslighting done in this forum has gotten worse and worse for merely trying to stay optimistic.
OK - can you provide a specific example of the type of gaslighting you reference?
Just do a word search for 'trumpist'...you'll find plenty.
I think you're misusing the term...what you find in references to Trumpists (those who support Tump slavishly) are descriptions of the other factors that may lead them to support Der Leader other than the more typical party affiliation sorts of reasons or liberal vs conservative metrics. Gaslighting involves truly "false information'...you see a lot of this from Trump and the Trumpist media talking heads and from QAnon and similar hard right conspiracy mongers. Truth is turned on its head in gaslighting.

Sure, the descriptions of what is to be a Trumpist are not salutary, but that doesn't make them not true. There's obviously a heavy dose of white resentment, fear, and yes, strains of white supremacism in Trumpism, indeed Der Leader has welcomed such support, ginned these feelings up. And yes, if you're marching next to those carrying Confederate flags and Nazi symbols, next to those in military style gear chanting racist things, and you don't leave the march or confront those with such symbols, then the stain of their racism is on you...if you don't notice them? Huge dose of white privilege at a minimum.

Optimistic? Please. I'm all for optimism when warranted, just be honest about the issues, just be honest about the problems too.

On "there in the first place", I agree that simply presence on the Mall needn't be 'crucify' worthy (and not against the law), though if you didn't leave when the Capitol was overrun, you sure as heck better be a journalist, not a participant. ALL those who entered the Capitol grounds, much less smashing into the building, broke the law...and they did so to in order to overturn an election. My brother-in-law included. I doubt they will prosecute those not inside the building unless they were involved in specific violence, but they ALL did break the law. And for a seditious purpose.

Urban Dictionary

Gaslighting
A form of intimidation or psychological abuse, sometimes called Ambient Abuse where false information is presented to the victim, making them doubt their own memory, perception and quite often, their sanity. The classic example of gaslighting is to switch something around on someone that you know they're sure to notice, but then deny knowing anything about it, and to explain that they "must be imagining things" when they challenge these changes.

A more psychological definition of gaslighting is "an increasing frequency of systematically withholding factual information from, and/or providing false information to, the victim - having the gradual effect of making them anxious, confused, and less able to trust their own memory and perception.
Your spouse begins telling you things that never really happened. For instance, he says that last week he told you he was going to go to the bar with his buddies this Monday night, but you never remember him telling you that.

Or maybe your boss gets angry because you didn't prepare the report he asked you to. When you remind him that he usually prepares that particular report, he snaps that he told you to take care of it a few days ago because he was too busy. However, you know he never asked you to do so.

Both of these could be considered gaslighting.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6x6 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:59 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 pm Oh, and make sure you get yourself some selfies/on camera so you can show your friends (and authorities) what a courageous patriot you are too. Phukin maroons.
Hilarious. Have not seen that before.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:20 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:53 am Yeah, kind of think "pogrom" is not the word for what you think is happening.
:D
ahh well, our friend tech is here to defend the mob.
Nope... obviously wrong again... Your friend tech defends truth and reality whenever he can find it.

Speaking of truth...

I'm never one to cherry pick like you and your resistance cult pals like to, but in your usual smug certainty you specifically brought it up other day as supposed debunked rumor:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/1 ... iot-459553

Wonder how many more will surface?
Pogrom is still the wrong word.
:roll: Leave it up to...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:15 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:53 am Yeah, kind of think "pogrom" is not the word for what you think is happening.
Nope... obviously wrong again... Your friend tech defends truth and reality whenever he can find it.

Speaking of truth...

I'm never one to cherry pick like you and your resistance cult pals like to, but in your usual smug certainty you specifically brought it up other day as supposed debunked rumor:

I was the one who first called you on it, tech... "you revealed yourself again" may have been my direct quote.

An now "anal lawyer"...yup, you reveal yourself in nearly every post.

You're way out of bounds on this one, IMO.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:53 am Why wait, just crucify them all b/c they they were there in the first place.
Why wouldn't you take to task ANYONE who entered the building illegally, damaged and stole property and caused harm to others?
I was speaking in general terms about everyone on the mall that day. Seems around these parts, if you support this past administration in any fashion, you are either a, white supremist, racist, trumpist, or fill in the blank with any negative connotation. The gaslighting done in this forum has gotten worse and worse for merely trying to stay optimistic.
OK - can you provide a specific example of the type of gaslighting you reference?
I think you're misusing the term...what you find in references to Trumpists (those who support Tump slavishly) are descriptions of the other factors that may lead them to support Der Leader other than the more typical party affiliation sorts of reasons or liberal vs conservative metrics. Gaslighting involves truly "false information'...you see a lot of this from Trump and the Trumpist media talking heads and from QAnon and similar hard right conspiracy mongers. Truth is turned on its head in gaslighting.

Sure, the descriptions of what is to be a Trumpist are not salutary, but that doesn't make them not true. There's obviously a heavy dose of white resentment, fear, and yes, strains of white supremacism in Trumpism, indeed Der Leader has welcomed such support, ginned these feelings up. And yes, if you're marching next to those carrying Confederate flags and Nazi symbols, next to those in military style gear chanting racist things, and you don't leave the march or confront those with such symbols, then the stain of their racism is on you...if you don't notice them? Huge dose of white privilege at a minimum.

Optimistic? Please. I'm all for optimism when warranted, just be honest about the issues, just be honest about the problems too.

On "there in the first place", I agree that simply presence on the Mall needn't be 'crucify' worthy (and not against the law), though if you didn't leave when the Capitol was overrun, you sure as heck better be a journalist, not a participant. ALL those who entered the Capitol grounds, much less smashing into the building, broke the law...and they did so to in order to overturn an election. My brother-in-law included. I doubt they will prosecute those not inside the building unless they were involved in specific violence, but they ALL did break the law. And for a seditious purpose.

Urban Dictionary

Gaslighting
A form of intimidation or psychological abuse, sometimes called Ambient Abuse where false information is presented to the victim, making them doubt their own memory, perception and quite often, their sanity. The classic example of gaslighting is to switch something around on someone that you know they're sure to notice, but then deny knowing anything about it, and to explain that they "must be imagining things" when they challenge these changes.

A more psychological definition of gaslighting is "an increasing frequency of systematically withholding factual information from, and/or providing false information to, the victim - having the gradual effect of making them anxious, confused, and less able to trust their own memory and perception.
Your spouse begins telling you things that never really happened. For instance, he says that last week he told you he was going to go to the bar with his buddies this Monday night, but you never remember him telling you that.

Or maybe your boss gets angry because you didn't prepare the report he asked you to. When you remind him that he usually prepares that particular report, he snaps that he told you to take care of it a few days ago because he was too busy. However, you know he never asked you to do so.

No need to over complicate it, and, the Urban Dictionary is primary used for slang. It is nothing more than continually manipulating someone, to the point where they feel the need to apologize for something they did not do wrong, sound familiar? You ever done that, of course not? The rub, is most of us around here know and see it happening, those that do it....typically do not realize it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Really? That's all you've got? :oops: :oops: .
I was prepared to listen to your example. I only asked for one.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:18 am

Speaking of truth...

I was the one who first called you on it, tech... "you revealed yourself again" may have been my direct quote.

Oops sorry... forgot to include "retentive."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 am

Speaking of truth...

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I am proud to say that in my lifetime, I have yet to take a “selfie”.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 am

Urban Dictionary

Gaslighting

No need to over complicate it, and, the Urban Dictionary is primary used for slang. It is nothing more than continually manipulating someone, to the point where they feel the need to apologize for something they did not do wrong, sound familiar? You ever done that, of course not? The rub, is most of us around here know and see it happening, those that do it....typically do not realize it.
ok, you think there's a definition better than the one I shared...it's a term psychologists and psychiatrists use, here's a description for wikipedia..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment.[1] It may evoke changes in them such as cognitive dissonance or low self-esteem, rendering the victim additionally dependent on the gaslighter for emotional support and validation. Using denial, misdirection, contradiction, and misinformation, gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's beliefs.

Instances can range from the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents occurred, to belittling the victim's emotions and feelings, to the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim. The goal of gaslighting is to gradually undermine the victim's confidence in their own ability to distinguish truth from falsehood, right from wrong, or reality from delusion, thereby rendering the individual or group pathologically dependent on the gaslighter for their thinking and feelings.

The term originated from the British play Gas Light (1938), performed as Angel Street in the United States, and its 1940 and 1944 film adaptations (both titled Gaslight). The term has now been used in clinical psychological literature,[2][3] as well as in political commentary and philosophy.[4]

This is NOT what you see in posts about Trumpists and Trumpism describing truthfully that cultish movement and its slavish followers of its single leader.

If you think there's a critique of Trumpists and Trumpism which is not based in truth please do point it out.

Gaslighting is using the opposite of truth to manipulate and intimidate...and, yes, this is EXACTLY what we see from Trump and his Trumpist followers, spokespeople, and Trumpist media talking heads.

Over and over and over again.
The Big Lie is that he won 2020 in a landslide and the Democrats (and RINO's and courts) have stolen it from him (and the Trumpists) through massive, multi-state fraud. And the Trumpists are all-in on spreading the Big Lie, some on violently acting on it.

I doubt you are a Trumpist, but if you think it is "manipulation" that you feel the need to make clear that you're not, I dunno what to tell you beyond the above...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:51 am
if by that it is meant just by myself, me too, (who wants to look at just me? :D ) but definitely will admit that on occasion I've done so with others...not handing our phones to a stranger in some quick circumstances of just fun.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:59 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:51 am
if by that it is meant just by myself, me too, but definitely will admit that on occasion I've done so with others...not handing our phones to a stranger in some quick circumstances of just fun.
I am old school. When traveling I use a good camera and usually ask someone that looks like a tourist ( a camera around their neck is a good sign) to take pictures of my group for me (pre-covid) The downside is that I am not in many of our vacation photos!
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 am

Speaking of truth...

euchre!
Typical Lax Dad

Capitol riot moms stand behind — or alongside — their sons

“Our culture has terms for all kinds of mom archetypes: working moms, stay-at-home moms, soccer moms, wine moms and "cool" moms. But have you ever met a helicopter riot mom?”

Norman is that you??!!
“I wish you would!”
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

I was born to soon. I had to lug around VHS recorder on my shoulder on 2 week family vacations :shock: Fortunately, a bit later I “only” had an 8 mm. Plus, the camera gear too...... Today’s smart phones...isn’t technology great.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

A video I hadn’t seen before of a Lt. with the CP wearing a MAGA hat. If you haven’t seen it before watch till the end, interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/video/why-capitol-p ... EFB33.html
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6x6 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:26 am A video I hadn’t seen before of a Lt. with the CP wearing a MAGA hat. If you haven’t seen it before watch till the end, interesting.

Interesting, at first I thought it was quite smart, then as I watched all those officers leave, I was like What the heck...he just gave the people what they wanted.

Would love to hear more on this story for sure.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:44 am
6x6 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:26 am A video I hadn’t seen before of a Lt. with the CP wearing a MAGA hat. If you haven’t seen it before watch till the end, interesting.

Interesting, at first I thought it was quite smart, then as I watched all those officers leave, I was like What the heck...he just gave the people what they wanted.

Would love to hear more on this story for sure.
If he'd gotten a call from the cops in riot gear holding the line that they'd been overwhelmed and were in danger of losing their lives, had no ability to fall back without a rescue, then it was a very smart play. And ultimately should be applauded.

I'd be looking at his social media and any other communications to see whether he was actually a MAGA supporter and had a different purpose...but I doubt that's what they'll find. Am I making an unfair (positive) assumption because he's black and he looked fully in control of his senses? Probably would be less inclined to give the benefit of the doubt if he was white, shaved head, beefy sort of cop and repeated phrases consistent with "Stop the Steal" rhetoric...I'd give better odds on that showing up in social media too. Either way, that's what I'd be looking for.

Wonder whether they have tapes of the radio communications?

Return to “POLITICS”