Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by Ketch »

TopShelf585 wrote:bang1
I don't think we should jump to any conclusions about our record just yet. We haven't even seen the team play. With any luck we'll be able to turn around some of those one goal losses from last year.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Ketch wrote:I don't think we should jump to any conclusions about our record just yet. We haven't even seen the team play. With any luck we'll be able to turn around some of those one goal losses from last year.
Ketch- I don't speculate what our record could be a lot can happen over the course of a season.
The head bang was simply for losing Penn State and Georgetown from our schedule.

What that tells me is that teams are starting to see no upside in playing us out of conference.
The years of getting those high profile games may be gone for awhile until we can start to demonstrate that beating us will help their SOS.

I counted 7 out of 8 non conference games to NY teams. Cuse, Cornell, Gate, Bingo, Siena, Canisius, Bonnie.
Apparently they don't like to travel outside a three hour radius to play.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Little offseason treat for Ketch and my other longtime Hobart friends.

Syracuse v. Hobart 1993. Fyi, if you already didn't know, If you search youtube, you'll find 5 or 6 other Hobart games I've uploaded over the years.

Happy Holidays, folks.

Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Hey, the season is only a short couple of weeks away. What’s the word on the Statesmen and the rest of the NEC?
buzzardmeat

Post by buzzardmeat »

Anyone catch what happened with the Michigan scrimmage ? I ran into someone close to the colleges who expressed concern about the athletic department...Apparently it has been a rudderless ship since both the President's departure and Hanna's retirement. I guess there are unqualified people making poor decisions while we wait for a new President to hire his/her own athletic director. Coach Raymond does not have an advocate so to speak and its wearing on all the coaches . I've also heard that the new indoor facility cannot host NCAA games ( which is why it was built ..i thought) because of poor decision making during construction process. Evidently the measurements aren't acceptable for NCAA regulations. Does anyone know if this is true?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The indoor facility was always going to be a practice facility. It was never supposed to support spectators. As far as the lacrosse program goes, things are looking up. The Michigan scrimmage was a good start. Tied at 12 with starters in for both sides through Q3. 16-16 final. Scrimmage at Hofstra this Saturday. I'm not sure who you spoke with but, the winter sports are going well. While the fall teams all had solid seasons. Sounds like sour grapes from your source BM. Interesting negative first post......
V,VI,College

Post by V,VI,College »

what's the scoop on new indoor facility?
is it complete? Athletic/Alumni website was saying it was on schedule for end of Jan completion.

1st home game is Feb 9.
Field not long enough? wide enough?

Playing at Pinnacle? (which is 10 yards shorter that regulation)
NCAA Games have been played there before.

#SpringSport
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I contacted the athletic department. They informed me that the bubble should be in use in the next 10-14 days. Also, I was told it was always a practice only facility. It was never designed to have spectators. Building an indoor facility with seating for fans cost quite a bit more.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Made the journey to Hempstead to watch Hofstra scrimmage. After 4 quarters it was 12-11 Bart. A fifth quarter was played with a final of 13-13. CJ White started in goal. and had stronger performance than against UM. It helped that we weren't mandown as much. Starting attack was Aslanian, Holden and Mott. Holden shot the ball well and had 3g by my recollection. His shooting was much improved v last season. Aslanian had 2g (Ithink and 2-3 assists. He looks lighter and quicker now and his right (off) hand is strong. Mott was quiet in the pts dept. , but handled pressure well with few mistakes. 1st mdfield was Archer FY Simas, Grimaldi and Avedisian, depending on who was fresh. Bryan Hancock also ran with the first line a bit and was on wing on faceoffs providing an offensive threat. That said, the coaches were mixing and matching all day, and there really wasn't any midfield line etched in stone. Archer was covered tightly and doubled quickly. He was held to 1 g. This opened the door for Simas who had 3 ( I think). He is good and will only get better. SSDM were Gilbertson, B. Hancock, Sherman and Nolan. Though the coaches had every middie play some D during the scrimmage. Starting D was Delpha, Christiansen and I think Schweiter. Mueller was on close and LSM. EBF and Mueller were wings on a number of faceoffs. The D was solid, with a lot of depth. Luchessi started in the second half and looked like the eventual starter. Though CJ White will be a good 1A. The team played well considering they probably had limited time outside. Depth is the best in a long time. Everyone who was dressed played by the end of Q5. They reserves will push the starters. This is a GOOD thing.

Hofstra was a good test. Their attackman Tierney is very talented the FOGOS will be good. They have a a ton of young talent and I hope the coaching staff there plays and develops them. They will be good later this year and dangerous in the following year.

Overall, a much better start for the Statesmen this early in the soon to be real season.
Last edited by oldbartman on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

I think the 13-13 final is misleading. Hobart outplayed Hofstra for the first three quarters (that's all I saw). Hofstra had too many turnovers on bad passes and didn't move the ball as well as Hobart did. Also, Hofstra played its starters and key reserves for the first three quarters. Don't know how much Hobart subbed. I was impressed with Hobart's FOGO (#28) and defense. Good luck the rest of the way.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

#28 is Pedicine who really should have been an AA last season. He's a great player.

I'm encouraged by the reports of the team playing well vs. UM and Hofstra. BU beating PC this weekend is an interesting data point as they will face a number of our NEC rivals, as well as UVM, who's on our slate as well.

It's officially game week, as Canisuis comes to Geneva on Saturday. Looking fwd to hearing Ted and Dave's broadcast (assuming Mapper is on board as his analysis has been a great add to Ted's excellent PBP work).
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

That's a good report for our boys. I'm confident that we'll be able to put up some goals this year. I've heard that Knox has been playing well at attack and pushing some of last year's starters for playing time. They have to find some way for Hancock to get some touches- he's too good of an all around player to not be relevant in his senior year. I thought that the two way transition play would benefit him more than others.

Glad to hear the defense was clicking- that was a big question mark this year.

D.Mapper will be on the air for all but 2 or 3 games this year.
V,VI,College

Post by V,VI,College »

When does the Athletic Dept decide if this Saturday's game will be played at Boswell or at Pinnacle?
Boswell game time is at 1:00
Hobart's Pinnacle field reservations of 2:30 - 6:00 PM would suggest a 3:30 game.
Forecast has a game time temp of 24.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

If the Statesman beat Canisius in their opening game, the odds are good they'll have a winning season. Feb. 9.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Pinnacle at 7pm is updated gametime
nmdivot

Post by nmdivot »

Can anyone close to the school confirm if the game will be streamed or not? Right now it is not showing that it will be streamed, only available on the radio.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The game will not be streamed. The colleges do not have a link to the Pinnacle field.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Highlights from the Hofstra scrimmage:

https://www.facebook.com/lisportsnews/v ... 973763230/
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Just heard there is a chance the Canisius game will be streamed. It's a matter of getting the links.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Solid effort last night. We certainly can score- lots of firepower from all positions. Canisius was outmatched and probably not a great indicator of how this will translate as the season goes on but it was good to get it done in convincing fashion.

Lots of young faces getting some love- I counted five freshman/sophs that were starters and many more getting consistent runs.
Youth movement is in place. Hancock and Scott not seeing much time at all is a big surprise.

We’ll only get stronger when Mueller returns.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”