2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2020 Elections - Led to Impeachment?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Glad we've returned to at least a modicum of civility.

It was surprising to me that it got hot, but there are definitely frayed nerves these days; I know that's how I'm feeling...I'd said some weeks ago that we should probably cut each other some extra slack if they pop off unexpectedly, and/or say something that rankles us badly. I was talking more about Covid, but this mess...more frayed nerves.

I know that I'm feeling really, really angry. I don't like that feeling.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:17 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:13 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/politics ... index.html

This is what it is really about.
Yup, voter suppression...this, too, is what Salty wants.
"voter irregularities" BS.
It’s always one side that wants to make it harder to register and harder to vote.
Historically it was a different side, but yes, always one side...
Yes. Have the people / demographic that are generally impacted changed?
Nope, same sorts of folks and/or their kin and kind, different brand.
Yep.
Let Stacey collect their ballots & be their proxy, ...even if they're dead or residing out of state.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 pm Glad we've returned to at least a modicum of civility.

It was surprising to me that it got hot, but there are definitely frayed nerves these days; I know that's how I'm feeling...I'd said some weeks ago that we should probably cut each other some extra slack if they pop off unexpectedly, and/or say something that rankles us badly. I was talking more about Covid, but this mess...more frayed nerves.

Yeah. Keep throwing around terms like treason & sedition. That will calm the waters.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 pm Glad we've returned to at least a modicum of civility.

Yeah. Keep throwing around terms like treason & sedition. That will calm the waters.
I'm not interested in 'calm the waters' until those responsible are held accountable or are sincerely repentant. People need to go to jail for what they did, the only question is how many and whether those truly responsible for the incitement will be held to account.

And I'd come down like Thor's hammer for any who try violence going forward, before, during, after Inauguration.

Thor perhaps being a favorite for some of these a-holes.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/politics ... index.html

It’s always one side that wants to make it harder to register and harder to vote.
Yep.
Let Stacey collect their ballots & be their proxy, ...even if they're dead or residing out of state.
man, you seek new lows huh?
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Yep.
Check out her sister Judge's ruling on out of state voters.

https://www.politico.com/story/2020/12/ ... es-1526009.

USPS changes of address are supposed to purge the voter rolls.
That's one of the safeguards we were assured guarantee's mail in ballot election security.
Last edited by old salt on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Yep.
Thanks friend.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:12 pm

Yep.
Thanks friend.
You're welcome. If you changed you address to out of state with the USPS, but you've moved back in state & haven't updated it, cast a provisional ballot & show proof of current address. It's not that hard.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Yep.
Thanks friend.
You're welcome. If you changed you address to out of state with the USPS, but you've moved back in state & haven't updated it, cast a provisional ballot & show proof of current address. It's not that hard.
Yep. It happens all the time. That’s how Biden became President of The United States of America. Good looking out, friend.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Yep.
Thanks friend.
Yep. It happens all the time. That’s how Biden became President of The United States of America. Good looking out, friend.
Who'd you vote for down the ballot on your Ohio junk mail ballot ?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Overt threats of violence:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/12 ... riot-trump

"F.B.I. officials in Virginia wrote a stark warning the day before a mob attacked the Capitol last week, raising alarms about the threat of violence, according to a law enforcement official.

The report was produced Jan. 5 by the F.B.I.’s Norfolk office in southern Virginia and sent to the bureau’s Washington Field Office, where it was passed on to other law enforcement agencies, the official said. It was not clear which agencies received it.

The report mentioned people sharing a map of tunnels at the Capitol complex and possible meet-up points in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and South Carolina before traveling to Washington, according to The Washington Post, which first reported on the F.B.I. document.

“Get violent. Stop calling this a march, or rally, or a protest,” the document said, according to The Post. “Go there ready for war. We get our President or we die. NOTHING else will achieve this goal.”

Officials cautioned the information in the Norfolk report was uncorroborated and the portion that quoted “war” appeared to come from a single online thread.

Nonetheless, the report is likely to put the F.B.I. on the defensive with members of Congress and the public demanding answers about why the bureau and other federal agencies were not more prepared for the protests and mob attack, where at least five people died during the violence and in its immediate aftermath.

Supporters of President Trump had descended on Washington to protest Congress’s ceremonial certification of the Electoral College after weeks of his baseless claims of election irregularities.

Last week, Steven D’Antuono, the head of the F.B.I.’s Washington Field Office, told reporters there was no indication that the day’s events would spiral out of control. He said the F.B.I. saw nothing ahead of time beyond First Amendment-protected activities, which can include protests and even hate speech.

He said the F.B.I. had worked closely with its partners before the Trump supporters, who had come to the Capitol to protest the election results, turned violent.

Since the mob attacked the Capitol, the F.B.I. appears to have taken a more aggressive approach to releasing information to other law enforcement agencies. On Sunday, the F.B.I. warned local law enforcement partners that armed protests were being planned in all 50 state houses and the U.S. Capitol. The warning also included information about an unidentified group calling for others to join them in “storming” state, local and federal courthouses if Mr. Trump was removed as president before Inauguration Day."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

More from the same report in the Times:

"House Democrats were briefed Monday night on a handful of specific active threats to the Capitol and to lawmakers in the aftermath of the mob attack on the Capitol.

The briefing by the acting Capitol Police chief and sergeant-at-arms also discussed security steps that were being put in place, as lawmakers pushed for more details on precautions as they returned to Washington for votes on impeachment and a resolution demanding that Vice President Mike Pence wrest the powers of the presidency from President Trump.

Democrats who were on the call said that the presentations detailed the plans of ad hoc militia groups and discussed how determined they were to try to carry them out. At least one plan involved seeking vengeance for the death of Ashli Babbitt, 35, an Air Force veteran from Southern California, who was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer outside the House chamber last Wednesday.

Lawmakers were left rattled; several confided afterward that they were fearful of re-entering the Capitol this week. Others were also concerned about flying after some were threatened at the airport. Lawmakers pressed the officials on what precautions were being taken to help lawmakers safely travel to and within Washington.

In a memo that circulated on Monday, lawmakers were reminded that the purchase of a bulletproof vest was a reimbursable expense, as was security training. Democrats raised the prospect of requiring lawmakers to go through a metal detector on Inauguration Day, citing some Republicans who have pushed to be allowed to carry a concealed gun in Washington despite federal and district law. Given the involvement of several Republicans in various “Stop the Steal” rallies, there is deep mistrust among Democrats toward those colleagues.

One Democrat, who asked to remain anonymous out of security concerns, called the call “the most terrifying hour of my entire life.” But another Democrat on the call, who works on national security issues, said afterward that it was reassuring because it showed that the authorities were properly engaging with the threat, unlike the relative silence and assurances given in the run-up to Jan. 6.

In the Senate, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, said in a letter to his caucus that the attack “showed us we need qualified Senate-confirmed people (not in an acting capacity) in key national security positions on Day One, including Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Homeland Security, Secretary of State, Attorney General, and others.”

The Senate was expected to hold a security briefing on Tuesday afternoon."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:06 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Yep.
Check out her sister Judge's ruling on out of state voters.

https://www.politico.com/story/2020/12/ ... es-1526009.

USPS changes of address are supposed to purge the voter rolls.
That's one of the safeguards we were assured guarantee's mail in ballot election security.
Provisional ballots, Salty, provisional...you're just wanting more voter suppression, huh
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Mitch McConnell is now calling for impeachment! "Trump's actions are impeachable!"
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Update from the NYTimes:

"Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

At the same time, Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the minority leader and one of Mr. Trump’s most steadfast allies in Congress, has asked other Republicans whether he should call on Mr. Trump to resign in the aftermath of the riot at the Capitol last week, according to three Republican officials briefed on the conversations.

While Mr. McCarthy has said he is personally opposed to impeachment, he and other party leaders have decided not to formally lobby Republicans to vote “no,” and an aide to Mr. McCarthy said he was open to a measure censuring Mr. Trump for his conduct. In private, Mr. McCarthy reached out to a leading House Democrat to see if the chamber would be willing to pursue a censure vote, though Speaker Nancy Pelosi has ruled it out.

Taken together, the stances of Congress’s two top Republicans — neither of whom has said publicly that Mr. Trump should resign or be impeached — reflected the politically fraught and fast-moving nature of the crisis that the party faces in the wake of last week’s assault by a pro-Trump mob during a session to formalize President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s electoral victory.

As more violent images emerged on Tuesday from the mayhem wrought by the rioters, including of the brutal attack that ultimately killed a Capitol Police officer, and as lawmakers were briefed about threats of more attacks on the Capitol, rank-and-file Republican lawmakers grew angrier about the president’s role in the violence.

Yet as they attempted to balance the affection their core voters have for Mr. Trump with the now-undeniable political and constitutional threat he posed, Republican congressional leaders who have loyally backed the president for four years were still stepping delicately. Their refusal to demand the president’s resignation and quiet plotting about how to address his conduct highlighted the gnawing uncertainty that they and many other Republicans have about whether they would pay more of a political price for abandoning him or for continuing to enable him after he incited a mob to storm the seat of government.

Making their task more difficult, Mr. Trump has shown no trace of contrition, telling reporters on Tuesday that his remarks to supporters had been “totally appropriate,” and that it was the specter of his impeachment that was “causing tremendous anger.”

Mr. McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, has indicated that he wants to see the specific article of impeachment that the House is set to approve on Wednesday, which is expected to draw support from as many as a dozen Republicans, potentially including Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the party’s No. 3 in the House. But he has made clear in private discussions that he believes now is the moment to move on from the weakened lame duck, whom he blames for causing Republicans to lose the Senate.

On Monday, Mr. Biden telephoned Mr. McConnell to ask whether it was possible to set up a dual track that would allow the Senate to confirm Mr. Biden’s cabinet nominees and hold a Senate trial at the same time, according to officials briefed on the conversation who disclosed it on condition of anonymity. Far from avoiding the topic of impeaching Mr. Trump, Mr. McConnell said it was a question for the Senate parliamentarian, and promised Mr. Biden a quick answer.

David Popp, a spokesman for Mr. McConnell, declined to comment, pointing a reporter to a speech the senator made from the floor after the attack on the Capitol.

“This failed attempt to obstruct the Congress, this failed insurrection, only underscores how crucial the task before us is for our Republic,” Mr. McConnell said as the Senate reconvened on Wednesday to finish the electoral count disrupted by the siege. “Our nation was founded precisely so that the free choice of the American people is what shapes our self-government and determines the destiny of our nation.”

In the days since the attack, Mr. McCarthy has veered from asking Republican colleagues if he should call on Mr. Trump to resign to privately floating impeachment to his current posture, opposed to impeachment but open to a censure. He even approached Representative Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, the majority leader, about a censure vote, saying he could deliver a large number of Republican votes for a formal rebuke if Democrats backed off impeachment."
ggait

Post by ggait »

Preet Bharara
@PreetBharara

I’m glad we’ve gotten past the Dr. Biden controversy. Good lord.

10:00 PM · Jan 11, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm Preet Bharara
@PreetBharara

I’m glad we’ve gotten past the Dr. Biden controversy. Good lord.

10:00 PM · Jan 11, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
How silly was that? :roll:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm Mitch McConnell is now calling for impeachment! "Trump's actions are impeachable!"
Liz Cheney just came out for impeachment of DOPUS.

If McConnell flips to removal, there will be 17 Republicans who will join him to vote for conviction and removal.

Perhaps the fat lady is warming up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Liam Donovan (@LPDonovan) tweeted at 4:57 PM on Tue, Jan 12, 2021:
As stunning as Rs moving against Trump would be, the alternative is that he sticks around and makes their lives/careers hell for the next four years (at least.) If that's going to happen anyway, a clean break looks pretty attractive. Now or never. https://t.co/48gH0jhq96
(https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/13 ... 21377?s=03)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm Liam Donovan (@LPDonovan) tweeted at 4:57 PM on Tue, Jan 12, 2021:
As stunning as Rs moving against Trump would be, the alternative is that he sticks around and makes their lives/careers hell for the next four years (at least.) If that's going to happen anyway, a clean break looks pretty attractive. Now or never. https://t.co/48gH0jhq96
(https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/13 ... 21377?s=03)
Yup. I don't know what took them so long to figure out that this is in their best interest. Michael Steele says he believes it is worse than we know for the republicans, but will find out in relatively short order.

Return to “POLITICS”