2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: 2020 Elections - Led to Impeachment?

Post by old salt »

Interesting idea from Andy McCarthy : resignation + pardon w/ agreement not to seek future office, rather than impeachment, which won't go to trial before Trump leaves office.

Gives up little, but applies Nixonesque stigma & eliminates possibility of future run for office.

It still makes a political statement but puts Trump on the sideline for good.

Keep in mind, Pelosi has threatened impeachment IF Trump does not resign first.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/01/ ... s/#slide-1

...I do think the president has committed an impeachable offense, making a reckless speech that incited a throng on the mall, which foreseeably included an insurrectionist mob. These rioters ended up overwhelming security forces and storming the Capitol. They shut down a solemn constitutional proceeding, endangering the lives of the vice president and the people’s representatives. They ripped through the facility, causing not only significant property damage but grave injuries. ...Officer Sicknick becomes the fifth fatality in the attack...

This is a heinous offense on the president’s part, at least in terms of the Constitution’s impeachment standard.

I have prosecuted the federal offense of inciting crimes of violence. In my judgment, there is no way the president could be convicted in a criminal trial. The First Amendment makes incitement a very tough proof. My defendant was convicted because I had strong evidence that he (a) made statements that unambiguously called for murder, (b) fully intended his statements to incite the commission of murder, and (c) was a globally notorious terrorist who had a history of directing subordinates to conduct lethal attacks. There is nothing like that in Trump’s situation.

The president was utterly irresponsible in his demagoguery. He plainly intended for thousands of supporters to march on the Capitol to create political pressure on Vice President Pence and congressional Republicans — i.e., to induce them to take what would have been lawless procedural steps to invalidate electoral votes that states had cast for President-elect Biden. There is no evidence, though, much less proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that Trump intended to instigate the Battle of Capitol Hill. He did not want anyone to be physically injured, let alone killed.

Yet the issue in impeachment is not criminal liability. As we extensively covered a year ago, impeachment concerns what Hamilton described as political offenses that call into question fitness for high public office. On that standard, the president’s incitement is indefensible, both for the undermining of our constitutional system that it promoted and the carnage it caused — however unintentionally. As someone who contended that the Ukraine kerfuffle was partisan theater masqueraded as impeachable offenses, I must say that this incident, to the contrary, is undeniably impeachable.

Nevertheless, I haven’t called for the president to be impeached and removed. Instead, ...while I would never argue that what he’s done is not impeachable, it would be a mistake to launch an impeachment now. There are only eleven days left in the president’s term. More important, removing him at this stage would gratuitously fan the flames of societal division that have intermittently exploded into violent rioting for the past year.

...Congress is not in session. Lawmakers are not scheduled to reassemble until just before Inauguration Day, January 20. ...With the pandemic spiking again, Congress has reduced its sessions to what is deemed truly necessary. It would thus require real effort and consensus to reconvene Congress for a brisk impeachment. Early Friday afternoon, Pelosi reaffirmed that she could bring the House into session in the middle of next week, but no final decision had been made.

Even if Pelosi succeeded in bringing the House back for a whirlwind deliberation and vote on one or more articles of impeachment sometime next week, Schumer will not become the majority leader until at least January 20. ...That leaves matters up to the GOP leader, Senator Mitch McConnell. He no doubt has genuine concerns about the potential for more destructive behavior by the president — after the last two months, who doesn’t? But, besides how divisive an impeachment would be for the country (and how alienating it would be to millions of Trump supporters), McConnell also has to weigh institutional damage. A Senate impeachment trial on a heedlessly rushed time frame would necessarily have to shed many due-process protections. It would be a dangerous precedent — the Framers wanted impeachment to be hard to do, lest Congress have too much control over the president. As a practical matter, could anything resembling a credible trial be started and finished in what would be less than a week? Would it be worth the trouble given that, no matter what, Trump’s term ends in just a few days?. . . although Congress, like the vice president and top executive officials, clearly must be prepared to act in rapid, bipartisan fashion if the president does or tries to do anything reckless between now and then.

All that said, what would happen if the House were to reconvene for a quickie impeachment, the Senate were to determine that it was obliged to conduct a trial, and the president had no way of running out the clock?

Well then we’re in the Nixon-Goldwater scenario. ...We’re down to the math. In an impeachment trial, it requires the votes of 67 senators to convict and remove a president. ...it gets down to 17 Republicans once the Georgia Democrats arrive.
Right or wrong is not the issue. It’s just the numbers.

For what it’s worth, I suspect that more Senate Republicans would oppose conducting an impeachment proceeding at this late stage than would oppose removing the president if there were such a trial. But ...if impeachment is realistically being contemplated, the president should consider resigning, because there is a good chance he would lose.

Resignation would be better for the country and better for the president — at least if he negotiated favorable terms. A pardon by Pence would be beneficial. Trump would get some peace of mind, but the government would not be making much of a concession: As noted above, the president’s incitement is not a prosecutable federal crime; a pardon would not affect the ongoing state investigation in New York; and while Trump’s more vindictive critics would have him prosecuted for jay-walking if they could, Biden and his attorney general nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, undoubtedly realize that the hounding of the former Republican president by the new Democratic administration — after a partisan slugfest of a campaign and the noxious Obama-Biden legacy of using the Justice Department to investigate political adversaries — would be bad politics and terrible for the country. They will want to move on from Trump, not make him a martyr.

Moreover, it would be much better for the institution of the presidency if Pence pardoned Trump than if Trump pardoned himself. Pence could justify it, as President Gerald Ford did for Nixon, as a matter of helping the country move on from a divisive controversy. For his part, Trump would probably have to agree not to seek public office again. Otherwise, there would be political pressure to proceed with Trump’s impeachment — even if he has already left office — in order to trigger the disqualification penalty that the Constitution makes attendant to conviction at an impeachment trial.

If the officials with the whip hand are determined to exercise it, then it’s not a morality play: It’s a chess game of time and numbers – until a Barry Goldwater inevitably knocks on the door and says, “Checkmate.”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 am My guess is lots and lots of these guys are going to sing.
Yup. They are going to be used to rat out the real trouble makers.

The militia types, tough guys, proud boys, etc., the real criminals are the ones we want. I sort of feel sorry for a lot of these folks who got sucked in. Make no mistake the criminals are going to try to use the others as cannon fodder.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 am Interesting idea from Andy McCarthy : resignation + pardon w/ agreement not to seek future office, rather than impeachment, which won't go to trial before Trump leaves office.

Gives up little, but applies Nixonesque stigma & eliminates possibility of future run for office.

...I do think the president has committed an impeachable offense, making a reckless speech that incited a throng on the mall, which foreseeably included an insurrectionist mob. These rioters ended up overwhelming security forces and storming the Capitol. They shut down a solemn constitutional proceeding, endangering the lives of the vice president and the people’s representatives. They ripped through the facility, causing not only significant property damage but grave injuries. ...Officer Sicknick becomes the fifth fatality in the attack...

This is a heinous offense on the president’s part, at least in terms of the Constitution’s impeachment standard.

I have prosecuted the federal offense of inciting crimes of violence. In my judgment, there is no way the president could be convicted in a criminal trial. The First Amendment makes incitement a very tough proof. My defendant was convicted because I had strong evidence that he (a) made statements that unambiguously called for murder, (b) fully intended his statements to incite the commission of murder, and (c) was a globally notorious terrorist who had a history of directing subordinates to conduct lethal attacks. There is nothing like that in Trump’s situation.

The president was utterly irresponsible in his demagoguery. He plainly intended for thousands of supporters to march on the Capitol to create political pressure on Vice President Pence and congressional Republicans — i.e., to induce them to take what would have been lawless procedural steps to invalidate electoral votes that states had cast for President-elect Biden. There is no evidence, though, much less proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that Trump intended to instigate the Battle of Capitol Hill. He did not want anyone to be physically injured, let alone killed.

Yet the issue in impeachment is not criminal liability. As we extensively covered a year ago, impeachment concerns what Hamilton described as political offenses that call into question fitness for high public office. On that standard, the president’s incitement is indefensible, both for the undermining of our constitutional system that it promoted and the carnage it caused — however unintentionally. As someone who contended that the Ukraine kerfuffle was partisan theater masqueraded as impeachable offenses, I must say that this incident, to the contrary, is undeniably impeachable.

Nevertheless, I haven’t called for the president to be impeached and removed. Instead, ...while I would never argue that what he’s done is not impeachable, it would be a mistake to launch an impeachment now. There are only eleven days left in the president’s term. More important, removing him at this stage would gratuitously fan the flames of societal division that have intermittently exploded into violent rioting for the past year.

...Congress is not in session. Lawmakers are not scheduled to reassemble until just before Inauguration Day, January 20. ...With the pandemic spiking again, Congress has reduced its sessions to what is deemed truly necessary. It would thus require real effort and consensus to reconvene Congress for a brisk impeachment. Early Friday afternoon, Pelosi reaffirmed that she could bring the House into session in the middle of next week, but no final decision had been made.

Even if Pelosi succeeded in bringing the House back for a whirlwind deliberation and vote on one or more articles of impeachment sometime next week, Schumer will not become the majority leader until at least January 20. ...That leaves matters up to the GOP leader, Senator Mitch McConnell. He no doubt has genuine concerns about the potential for more destructive behavior by the president — after the last two months, who doesn’t? But, besides how divisive an impeachment would be for the country (and how alienating it would be to millions of Trump supporters), McConnell also has to weigh institutional damage. A Senate impeachment trial on a heedlessly rushed time frame would necessarily have to shed many due-process protections. It would be a dangerous precedent — the Framers wanted impeachment to be hard to do, lest Congress have too much control over the president. As a practical matter, could anything resembling a credible trial be started and finished in what would be less than a week? Would it be worth the trouble given that, no matter what, Trump’s term ends in just a few days?. . . although Congress, like the vice president and top executive officials, clearly must be prepared to act in rapid, bipartisan fashion if the president does or tries to do anything reckless between now and then.

All that said, what would happen if the House were to reconvene for a quickie impeachment, the Senate were to determine that it was obliged to conduct a trial, and the president had no way of running out the clock?

Well then we’re in the Nixon-Goldwater scenario. ...We’re down to the math. In an impeachment trial, it requires the votes of 67 senators to convict and remove a president. ...it gets down to 17 Republicans once the Georgia Democrats arrive.
Right or wrong is not the issue. It’s just the numbers.

For what it’s worth, I suspect that more Senate Republicans would oppose conducting an impeachment proceeding at this late stage than would oppose removing the president if there were such a trial. But ...if impeachment is realistically being contemplated, the president should consider resigning, because there is a good chance he would lose.

Resignation would be better for the country and better for the president — at least if he negotiated favorable terms. A pardon by Pence would be beneficial. Trump would get some peace of mind, but the government would not be making much of a concession: As noted above, the president’s incitement is not a prosecutable federal crime; a pardon would not affect the ongoing state investigation in New York; and while Trump’s more vindictive critics would have him prosecuted for jay-walking if they could, Biden and his attorney general nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, undoubtedly realize that the hounding of the former Republican president by the new Democratic administration — after a partisan slugfest of a campaign and the noxious Obama-Biden legacy of using the Justice Department to investigate political adversaries — would be bad politics and terrible for the country. They will want to move on from Trump, not make him a martyr.

Moreover, it would be much better for the institution of the presidency if Pence pardoned Trump than if Trump pardoned himself. Pence could justify it, as President Gerald Ford did for Nixon, as a matter of helping the country move on from a divisive controversy. For his part, Trump would probably have to agree not to seek public office again. Otherwise, there would be political pressure to proceed with Trump’s impeachment — even if he has already left office — in order to trigger the disqualification penalty that the Constitution makes attendant to conviction at an impeachment trial.

If the officials with the whip hand are determined to exercise it, then it’s not a morality play: It’s a chess game of time and numbers – until a Barry Goldwater inevitably knocks on the door and says, “Checkmate.”

... pardon is a tough sell to most rank and file democrats.
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:46 am
old salt wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 am Interesting idea from Andy McCarthy : resignation + pardon w/ agreement not to seek future office, rather than impeachment, which won't go to trial before Trump leaves office.

You can't always get everything you want. What is most important ?

If it's only a pardon for incitement, which would probably not be criminally prosecuted anyway.

Still, Pence might not want to issue the pardon, given the way Ford was stigmatized for pardoning Nixon.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... me personally, I am not so concerned about him running for office again in 2024. His schtick will be pretty old by that time. I prefer impeachment because I think it is important to get some of the constitutional questions answered. Can a president pardon himself; can a president be impeached once he leaves office. I will roll the dice, but that is just me. I think it is long past time to test these so future House and Senate's know where they stand.
old salt

Post by old salt »

If he remains a possible candidate for 2024, he will still command attention & media coverage.

He will be on Elba, not St Helena.

If impeachment is overused, we'll become a Parliamentary system.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

,,, doesn't really change my feeling. I am not worried about him running for office again in 2024. I will foreclose that possibility if able without giving up to much for it, but letting him get away with all his crimes without challenging him is too much. Sends the wrong message to all would be dictators.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

old salt wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:54 am

If it's only a pardon for incitement, which would probably not be criminally prosecuted anyway.

Still, Pence might not want to issue the pardon, given the way Ford was stigmatized for pardoning Nixon.

Sure, a pardon for federal offenses. Now, the Empire State, that’s another matter. Or maybe the State OG Georgia for gross election tampering.

But yeah, he can have the federal pardon.

If an example is not made of him, and perhaps even if one is, it’ll happen again. And maybe with someone who isn’t such a complete narcissistic sociopath who stands a chance of overthrowing our Republic (old Ben is not so happy with our “keeping” these days).

Oh, and spare me the “bad for the institution of the President” piety. As if it isn’t already festering like a ripe Don’s John in 100 degree heat.
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:07 am ... me personally, I am not so concerned about him running for office again in 2024. His schtick will be pretty old by that time. I prefer impeachment because I think it is important to get some of the constitutional questions answered. Can a president pardon himself; can a president be impeached once he leaves office. I will roll the dice, but that is just me. I think it is long past time to test these so future House and Senate's know where they stand.
And there’s always hope for the natural solution...

When he dies, will he evaporate like a Bram Stoker vampire, or just rot like the vile excrescence he is?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:26 am
old salt wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:54 am

Sure, a pardon for federal offenses. Now, the Empire State, that’s another matter. Or maybe the State OG Georgia for gross election tampering.

But yeah, he can have the federal pardon.

If an example is not made of him, and perhaps even if one is, it’ll happen again. And maybe with someone who isn’t such a complete narcissistic sociopath who stands a chance of overthrowing our Republic (old Ben is not so happy with our “keeping” these days).

Oh, and spare me the “bad for the institution of the President” piety. As if it isn’t already festering like a ripe Don’s John in 100 degree heat.
If you hold out for too much, trying to send a symbolic message, he'll pardon himself & his family, then run out the clock while symbolic articles of impeachment sit in the Senate's IN basket. He'll depart on Jan 19 as a martyr, then hole up for a few months while shifting his followers to a new social media platform, then start pushing his loyalists as candidates in the 2022 primaries. The media won't be able to ignore him & our national nightmare will continue. You'll never have more leverage than now. So long as he can threaten (R) Senators in future primaries, good luck getting 17 of them to vote to convict, even after he's out of office.

And good luck expecting to prosecute these idiots for terrorism or attempted murder. Most will skate with misdemeanors like criminal trespassing or vandalism. Kamawa's 501.c.3 MN Bail Bonds will get 'em right back on the street, if the DC Prosecutor even charges them. How many of the Portland Fed Court House mob have been convicted ? Great Expectations.
old salt

Re: 2020 Elections - Donald Trump FIRED

Post by old salt »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 pm
The fact that she got out after 14 years might be a tell. At 15 years, if promoted, she should have qualified for a reduced pension, & at 20 years for a 50% of base pay pension. Maybe she failed to promote or was asked to leave for other reasons.
Yup, 14 and out is a very odd move, doesn't make much sense.
I've seen reports of her total time in service varying from 11 to 14 years. The first 4 on active duty, then 2 yrs AF reserve, then her last 6 yrs in the DC ANG when she lived in SoMd then Annapolis & worked at Calvert Cliffs nuc plant until 2018 or '19. She then appeared to go (further) off the rails, hooked up with a married guy (now her husband) in SoMd, where she had an alleged road rage ramming incident with his ex. They moved to SD & bought a pool cleaning company. She left an interesting trail on social media (lots of hottie selfies) & in legal filings. In all that service time, she only advanced to Senior Airman (0-4). She served as a USAF security guard with some law enforcement training. Described by a fellow airman friend as a "boisterous firecracker". I bet her deployments were interesting. You could see this coming.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ds-ex.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... pitol.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sheet.html
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Intelligent conversation re Jan 6 and more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJdjO0fD4E&t=6675s
DMac

Re: 2020 Elections - Donald Trump FIRED

Post by DMac »

old salt wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:32 am
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 pm
The fact that she got out after 14 years might be a tell. At 15 years, if promoted, she should have qualified for a reduced pension, & at 20 years for a 50% of base pay pension. Maybe she failed to promote or was asked to leave for other reasons.
Yup, 14 and out is a very odd move, doesn't make much sense.
I've seen reports of her total time in service varying from 11 to 14 years. The first 4 on active duty, then 2 yrs AF reserve, then her last 6 yrs in the DC ANG when she lived in SoMd then Annapolis & worked at Calvert Cliffs nuc plant until 2018 or '19. She then appeared to go (further) off the rails, hooked up with a married guy (now her husband) in SoMd, where she had an alleged road rage ramming incident with his ex. They moved to SD & bought a pool cleaning company. She left an interesting trail on social media (lots of hottie selfies) & in legal filings. In all that service time, she only advanced to Senior Airman (0-4). She served as a USAF security guard with some law enforcement training. Described by a fellow airman friend as a "boisterous firecracker". I bet her deployments were interesting. You could see this coming.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ds-ex.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... pitol.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sheet.html
Figured that "high level" security was BS (pretty sure you mean E4).
Guess the patriot got what she wanted, died a real hero (or phukin
idiot, depending on how you look at it).
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Many of you are talking about resignation as a serious alternative. Hell will freeze over first. If Trump is the greatest at one thing, it’s his narcissism. To resign he’ll first have to believe he did something wrong, and that isn’t within him.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:03 pm
There is nothing wrong with being a White Nationalists. Don’t ask don’t tell.
Zach de la Rocha and Tom Morello and thinking “damn, about time” (lead singer and guitarist for Rage Against the Machine and author of Killing in the Name, morello happened to go to Harvard as well as a side note)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:17 pm
foreverlax wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:27 am Guess you wont give me the courtesy I give you, by answering your questions.
See my answer above, to gg.
gottcha...you're using word_smithing to create your own Big Lie in your own words.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

old salt wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:12 am If he remains a possible candidate for 2024, he will still command attention & media coverage.

He will be on Elba, not St Helena.

If impeachment is overused, we'll become a Parliamentary system.
If there's a significant political backlash for impeaching Trump for **inciting an insurrection** then we're probably completely heck no matter what.

Just when the heck should an impeachment be triggered, I mean other than a BJ?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:38 pm
This guy looks like he had borrowed Raquel Welch’s outfit from 100 million years BC.

Noticed how he used a spear as a flag pole? Genius. His IQ has to be at least 50.
I'm so tired of these degenerates marching in parades, wearing no shirts, waving colorful flags and pushing their beliefs on the rest of us. How am I going to explain it to my kids?
It’s the fault of liberals! Case closed.

Or maybe they’re all wishing they could be in a pride parade but are too much of sissies to do so.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Eladio Bobadilla @e_b_bobadilla
1 day ago
20 years after 9/11: “Never forget.”
3 days after the Capitol was attacked: “We need to move on.”
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:38 pm
This guy looks like he had borrowed Raquel Welch’s outfit from 100 million years BC.

Noticed how he used a spear as a flag pole? Genius. His IQ has to be at least 50.
I'm so tired of these degenerates marching in parades, wearing no shirts, waving colorful flags and pushing their beliefs on the rest of us. How am I going to explain it to my kids?
Barnum and Bailey closed up shop so someone had to bring the circus of clowns back to America?

Return to “POLITICS”