Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm
I forgot to add that I think the coaching structure and the quality of the assistant coaches will bring benefits at some point
I think Milliman and company will thrive in the underdog role and this team will surprise.

Reasons for optimism:
Epstein and Grimes
Face-offs
Coaching
New Goalie

Reasons for Pessimism:
Everything else

Over the course of the season I think we'll see week-to-week improvement.
I'm looking forward to it.
On the UVA thread, I cautioned against over expectations immediately after a change in coaching regime though I also expressed high optimism for the likely longer term impact. Based on some specific insights into the new staff, I suggested that we'd likely see a major 'culture change', on and off the field, and that such would likely prove to be attractive to the sorts of players who would best fit such...takes time. And in the meantime the style of play would be fun to watch.

I was pleasantly surprised to the upside by the rapid impact as the 'culture' changes and style of play was embraced by some key players who drove the ship forward faster than I'd expected.

I'd have the same caution for patience with JHU and this change. I do think we'll see some marked differences, but we should be patient in terms of how that will translate to W's in the first two, even three years.

But enjoy the ride!
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:00 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm
I forgot to add that I think the coaching structure and the quality of the assistant coaches will bring benefits at some point
I think Milliman and company will thrive in the underdog role and this team will surprise.

Reasons for optimism:
Epstein and Grimes
Face-offs
Coaching
New Goalie

Reasons for Pessimism:
Everything else

Over the course of the season I think we'll see week-to-week improvement.
I'm looking forward to it.
On the UVA thread, I cautioned against over expectations immediately after a change in coaching regime though I also expressed high optimism for the likely longer term impact. Based on some specific insights into the new staff, I suggested that we'd likely see a major 'culture change', on and off the field, and that such would likely prove to be attractive to the sorts of players who would best fit such...takes time. And in the meantime the style of play would be fun to watch.

I was pleasantly surprised to the upside by the rapid impact as the 'culture' changes and style of play was embraced by some key players who drove the ship forward faster than I'd expected.

I'd have the same caution for patience with JHU and this change. I do think we'll see some marked differences, but we should be patient in terms of how that will translate to W's in the first two, even three years.

But enjoy the ride!
This is a perfect year for changing coaches and implementing a new scheme. There should be no expectations on this team. Make the tournament (if there is one) great. If not, that is fine. Guys like Epstein still have 2 years to work on it because of last years season being essentially canceled.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Where is Mt. St. Mary’s ranked?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Hop confirmed plans for a careful expansion of in-person activities for the spring semester, with a few adjustments, based on their assessment of the COVID-19 pandemic and extensive preparations to keep the community safe. No mention of athletics.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/01/08/universi ... ZInr3ewSv4

“Johns Hopkins University confirmed plans today to carefully expand in-person activities for the spring semester, paving the way for students to return to campus classrooms for the first time since the university transitioned to remote instruction in March 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The return to campus, announced in an email to the university community today, will be optional for faculty and students, and courses will include in-person and remote/virtual formats. Move-in and orientation for undergraduates living in Homewood campus residence halls will begin on Jan. 16.

The spring semester will begin as scheduled on Jan. 25, but class sessions for Homewood undergraduates will remain online until Feb. 1 to ensure that students are able to meet the requirement of two negative tests, optimally spaced apart, before taking part in on-campus instruction or other activities.

"With our shared commitment and dedication to following best practices in containing the spread of the virus, as well as the added support of a broad-based COVID testing program, we believe we can prudently and safely move to a more extensive on-campus experience for the spring semester," Ronald J. Daniels, president of Johns Hopkins University; Sunil Kumar, university provost; and Mary Miller, senior vice president for finance and administration, wrote in today's message.

About a quarter of Homewood undergraduate students are expected to return and live on campus in residence halls, university leaders said. This number helps ensure that on-campus housing will only reach 50% capacity. Approximately 62% of undergraduates plan to live in the surrounding area, and 12% do not plan to come to Baltimore for in-person instruction.

All undergraduate students in Baltimore will be subject to mandatory COVID-19 testing at least twice weekly, and many other students, faculty, and staff will be subject to weekly tests. All activities will be conducted at a reduced density and in compliance with state and local requirements and public health guidelines. Those who return to campus will be required to use the Prodensity app to demonstrate testing compliance and to monitor symptoms, to wear face coverings at all times, and to avoid large gatherings.

On-campus instruction will be conducted in classrooms prepared for distancing, ensuring at least 6 feet among students and instructors. In addition to required COVID-19 testing, the university has launched extensive contact tracing operations to help identify and isolate those who contract the virus. The university will conduct genetic sequencing in samples from positive cases in order to help identify different strains of virus that may emerge.

Plans for on-campus activity including instruction at the Peabody Institute and the graduate divisions vary, but all will conform to the same health and safety standards. These divisions will provide information directly to their students about academic and research opportunities.”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Good news. I guess they had a plan even if they did not divulge it specifically to FanLax forum poster jhu06.

I'm curious to see what the Centennial conference decides and how that affects Hop's D3 teams this spring. But at this point I'm virtually certain the men's (and women's) lacrosse teams will participate in the Big Ten season the same as every other team in the conference. Interested if there will be non-conference games and if so, against whom. Would assume Towson and Loyola but I haven't heard anything.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:10 pm Good news. I guess they had a plan even if they did not divulge it specifically to FanLax forum poster jhu06.

I'm curious to see what the Centennial conference decides and how that affects Hop's D3 teams this spring. But at this point I'm virtually certain the men's (and women's) lacrosse teams will participate in the Big Ten season the same as every other team in the conference. Interested if there will be non-conference games and if so, against whom. Would assume Towson and Loyola but I haven't heard anything.
Noted academic and medical institutions like coastal carolina and liberty university were able to come up with plans and schedules for their football teams LAST JULY. I feel #blessed that Hopkins has let schools founded by people who waged public war on teletubbies and prohibits premarital cohabitation outplan by 7 months it when it comes to safe athletic play in the corona era. The athletics department did find time to create a new division of "life design" which is beyond words.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/1/8 ... esign.aspx
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

These are the things that make one grateful to not be an alumnus. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:20 pm
These are the things that make one grateful to not be an alumnus. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do realize "Life Design" is just the career center, but with a new name? Several other schools have made a similar switch, including Stanford. Why, I don't know, but who cares. How dare they help athletes find jobs?!?!?! What will this awful administration do next? Courses? Activities? The horror!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Navy men’s lacrosse will not play two traditional opponents — Maryland and Johns Hopkins — due to scheduling conflicts. The Big Ten Conference is expected to announce a double round-robin scheduling format among members only....according to article in the Capital Gazette
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:50 pm Navy men’s lacrosse will not play two traditional opponents — Maryland and Johns Hopkins — due to scheduling conflicts. The Big Ten Conference is expected to announce a double round-robin scheduling format among members only....according to article in the Capital Gazette
Patriot League statement said they're nixing that conference doing flights/hotel stays so interesting if this is true what happens.
IF schedule is true
you add new games against 3,4,12,19 subtract 2/6/13 assuming uva wasn't on the schedule. The sos probably goes up.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:26 pm
AreaLax wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:50 pm Navy men’s lacrosse will not play two traditional opponents — Maryland and Johns Hopkins — due to scheduling conflicts. The Big Ten Conference is expected to announce a double round-robin scheduling format among members only....according to article in the Capital Gazette
Patriot League statement said they're nixing that conference doing flights/hotel stays so interesting if this is true what happens.
IF schedule is true
you add new games against 3,4,12,19 subtract 2/6/13 assuming uva wasn't on the schedule. The sos probably goes up.
if you don't play anyone outside your conference, it goes down for better conferences and teams. as do likely nc$$ bids.

will be fascinating what the preponderance of conferences do. if acc has a good number of good ooc games, hurts the b1g.

and then good luck figuring out how the committee may operate 5 months out.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:26 pm
IF schedule is true
if you don't play anyone outside your conference, it goes down for better conferences and teams. as do likely nc$$ bids.

will be fascinating what the preponderance of conferences do. if acc has a good number of good ooc games, hurts the b1g.

and then good luck figuring out how the committee may operate 5 months out.
sweep michigan, split w/rutgers, 2/4 vs osu/psu/md. Lose round 1 of b1g by 3 goals and onto 2022. Basically same result as if Petro had coached but w/different feel+different look forward. question is what pieces do we discover.
bananas

Post by bananas »

??? That's a plus in my book
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:30 pm
You do realize "Life Design" is just the career center, but with a new name? Several other schools have made a similar switch, including Stanford. Why, I don't know, but who cares. How dare they help athletes find jobs?!?!?! What will this awful administration do next? Courses? Activities? The horror!
That’s a really good program. A friend’s son played football at Michigan and they had a similar program. Started grooming athletes for post college careers from the day they stepped on campus. If pitched right, it’s another plus for recruiting.
“I wish you would!”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Sigh. I hate slow news weeks.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:37 pm Sigh. I hate slow news weeks.
Be careful what you wish for WB............
a fan

Post by a fan »

Hail to the Victors----UMich fight song, right? You DO know that they've had the same setup at UMich for years, right?

In what world is this a bad thing?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm
Hail to the Victors----UMich fight song, right? You DO know that they've had the same setup at UMich for years, right?

In what world is this a bad thing?
Something like this: http://macc.ath.umich.edu/

A friend’s son played at JHU. His younger brother looked at Michigan. His father said if the program had been further along he would have sent his son to Michigan. First class everything and the presentation on career guidance was off the charts. My son was going to take a visit just to get in the Spring Football game but had a scheduling conflict.
“I wish you would!”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

US Lax magazine has their preview on the Jays up. Primarily focused on Epstein and his injury/recovery. Conclusion from another coach is probably the most interesting part:

“They’re a bit of a wild card, right? They didn’t come to campus this fall. Milliman is going to inject a bunch of energy into that program. The talent is there. You get the young man back through there, Joey Epstein, and you add in a Brendan Grimes, who will be the best freshman in the conference. Add that with Cole Williams and I just think, offensively, they’re loaded.”
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 am US Lax magazine has their preview on the Jays up. Primarily focused on Epstein and his injury/recovery. Conclusion from another coach is probably the most interesting part:

“They’re a bit of a wild card, right? They didn’t come to campus this fall. Milliman is going to inject a bunch of energy into that program. The talent is there. You get the young man back through there, Joey Epstein, and you add in a Brendan Grimes, who will be the best freshman in the conference. Add that with Cole Williams and I just think, offensively, they’re loaded.”
That sounds like a Nick Myers quote.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”