US Lacrosse Magazine Early Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: US Lacrosse Magazine Early Rankings

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:43 pm Again, that's why they were ranked #2 in 2020. They already got credit for that last season. This ranking is a projection for 2021. It's a combination of last year's results, plus roster/staff changes, graduations, incoming recruits, transfers, injuries, etc. Their success last year is indeed an important part of all that—but it's just one part. It's why they're still a top 8 team despite losing two All-Americans in Salvatore and Duggan and their head coach who presumably had some hand in their success, as well as not benefiting in the transfer market like some other similarly ranked teams did. Teat/Piatelli/Donville/Long is a great core on offense that returns which warrants a top 10 projection but taking everything else into account you can't just keep them at #2.
Agree with this assessment. I was never sold Milliman as an Xs and Os guy (the lack of adjustments to Teat shut-offs in the past were real head scratchers), but he is a good program builder. Knows how to steady the locker room. Now you have a young interim HC having to match wits against Shay and Murphy? Plus anyone in the non-con schedule (which full credit to Cornell, they play tough non-con schedules)?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

It seems kind of silly that the US Lax Mag mentions that Yale's Matt Brandau had 10 goals and six assists without mentioning the year (2020) or the fact that Brandau scored 50 goals and had 24 assists in his first year (2019).
Assuming that Brown doesn't make a surprise appearance tomorrow in the Top 5, Cornell at #8 and Yale at #9 are the two top Ivies; #8 seems about right for the top Ivy, although with a new Head Coach Cornell might be something of a wild card. Oh 2020, the season that coulda, shoulda, woulda been for Ivy League lacrosse...
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

While we already know the Top Five to be released tomorrow, in no known order, hear is where I would have put the Top 25, for what it’s worth:

Air Force
Hobart
Brown
Navy
Richmond
Rutgers
Penn
Lehigh
Mass
Hopkins
Loyola
Army
Villanova
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Denver
Georgetown
Yale
Penn State
North Carolina
Maryland
Cornell
Virginia
Duke
Syracuse
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 pm It seems kind of silly that the US Lax Mag mentions that Yale's Matt Brandau had 10 goals and six assists without mentioning the year (2020) or the fact that Brandau scored 50 goals and had 24 assists in his first year (2019).
Assuming that Brown doesn't make a surprise appearance tomorrow in the Top 5, Cornell at #8 and Yale at #9 are the two top Ivies; #8 seems about right for the top Ivy, although with a new Head Coach Cornell might be something of a wild card. Oh 2020, the season that coulda, shoulda, woulda been for Ivy League lacrosse...
I agree that Cornell and Yale in the Top 10 is a fair assessment. The Ivies exported some great talent to other schools for 2021, and I assume that this will be reflected in the top 5 selections. US Lacrosse has typically been very slow to move Cornell up. I'm not sure how they've treated Yale. My hope is that we have a 2021 season to play.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Comeonman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 pm While we already know the Top Five to be released tomorrow, in no known order, hear is where I would have put the Top 25, for what it’s worth:

Air Force
Hobart
Brown
Navy
Richmond
Rutgers
Penn
Lehigh
Mass
Hopkins
Loyola
Army
Villanova
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Denver
Georgetown
Yale
Penn State
North Carolina
Maryland
Cornell
Virginia
Duke
Syracuse
C'mon man.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sion-i-men

5. Maryland
4. PSU
3. Virginia
2. Syracuse
1. Duke
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I believe that Syracuse did lose defenseman Mellen and also lsm Fernandez transferred to Hopkins, so I think there are some defensive question marks for Syracuse.

Virginia should have Cade Sausted back on the defense, after being injured last spring. Will Rock is back on the roster. With Connors returnnig, things look much better for UVa defensively this spring.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:14 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sion-i-men

5. Maryland
4. PSU
3. Virginia
2. Syracuse
1. Duke
PSU...too high...even with a really good FOGO and above average goalie.

Said this last year and think it was happening...but losing Ryan Conrad was a big deal to UVA. Don't think they're #3 or will end up there next Memorial Day. Still like Cuse more than Duke.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think if Bernhardt does return the Tarps should be #1.

Without Bernhardt, I think the Terps should be ahead of PSU. Both lose key offensive players in Bernhardt for UMD. and Ament for PSU. But I think UMD has more and better choices for replacing Bernhardt.
PSU does have the edge of being a very mature team with lots of 5th year players, but UMD should gain something from having their freshmen regulars like Maltz, Brennan, McNaney, Sherrer becoming sophomores.
Further UMD brings in some nice transfers in Holden and Griffin Brown on the offense, along with Burlace for the defense. UMD also appears to have a stronger incoming class with top 20 recruits: Kelly, Koras, and Malever.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:15 pm
AreaLax wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:14 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sion-i-men

5. Maryland
4. PSU
3. Virginia
2. Syracuse
1. Duke
PSU...too high...even with a really good FOGO and above average goalie.

Said this last year and think it was happening...but losing Ryan Conrad was a big deal to UVA. Don't think they're #3 or will end up there next Memorial Day. Still like Cuse more than Duke.
Not sure I really agree with you about UVA. There are a lot of teams that are relatively close in that range, but selecting UVA at #3 seems reasonable.
As I mention above their defense should take a large step forward. Losing Kraus hurts and Bertrand could help there, but UVA could gain a lot from some of last year's freshmen like Garno, Shellenberger, and Bienkowski becoming sophomores, which might give UVA a deeper offense. Another player who could step up for UVA could be Xander Dickson, who was injured last year.
Live Free or Die!
bananas

Post by bananas »

My way too early guesses knowing there wont be four ACC teams in top 5 during regular season because each will be pin losses on each other

Duke
Maryland (with Bernhardt, #4 without)
Syracuse
UVA
UNC.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

5. Maryland
4. PSU
3. Virginia
2. Syracuse
1. Duke
So going back to 2015 through 2019, of the 20 final four teams (4 each year times 5 years), IL predicted 13 by my count in their preseason top 5. Only once did they get all 4 (2018: Yale, MD, Albany, Duke). They had the eventual winner each year except 2019 (UVA). Duke, Denver & MD each were selected 4 of 5 years. MD making final four 3 of 4 times; Duke 2 of 4; Denver 3 of 4.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

College Crosse has come out with their list
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/9/26 ... racuse-umd

1 Duke
2 Syracuse
3 Maryland
4 UNC
5 Virginia
6 Yale
7 Denver
8 PSU
9 Cornell
10 Georgetown
11 Loyola
12 Ohio state
13 Notre Dame
14 Johns Hopkins
15 UMass
16 Richmond
17 Army
18 Penn
19 Lehigh
20 Rutgers
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

US Lacrosse Magazine
@USLacrosseMag
1h
After an offseason headlined by impact transfers and the return of several program staples, Duke is No. 1 in the Nike/USL Division I Men’s Preseason Top 20.

1. @DukeMLAX
2. @CuseMLAX
3. @TerpsMLax
4. @PennStateMLAX
5. @UVAMensLax

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... son-top-20
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't see it...
Caddy Day
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm US Lacrosse Magazine
@USLacrosseMag
1h
After an offseason headlined by impact transfers and the return of several program staples, Duke is No. 1 in the Nike/USL Division I Men’s Preseason Top 20.

1. @DukeMLAX
2. @CuseMLAX
3. @TerpsMLax
4. @PennStateMLAX
5. @UVAMensLax

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... son-top-20
Hop at 20 is laughable. Could they end up top-20? Certainly. Just too many unknowns as to what they will look like, especially earl on, with this new staff to make them a top-20 team preseason.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tdemling6 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:12 pm Hop at 20 is laughable. Could they end up top-20? Certainly. Just too many unknowns as to what they will look like, especially earl on, with this new staff to make them a top-20 team preseason.
You think they should be lower?
Caddy Day
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Permanent real estate in so many heads. Never gets old
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

So, US Lax's highest ranked Ivy teams are Yale at #8 and Cornell at #9, with Penn at #18, behind Richmond and Lehigh. Brown was also considered. It seems somewhat fitting that Yale is ranked right behind Denver, with the Pioneers now having Elis Jackson Morrill and Lucas Cotler on their roster. Clearly, the Ivy lost out with this extended eligibility / grad transfer business. Given current circumstances, number 8 might be generous for any Ivy. The big separation with Penn that far below Yale and Cornell strikes me as wrong. Cornell returns Teat, but in my mind the new interim Head Coach makes the Big Red something of a wild card. I think that Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth and (as much as I hate to say it) Harvard all have potential to surprise to the upside. I'll be very happy if I get to attend any games this year.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

I think Moms and Dads will be attending and that is it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”