Next Programs From The NEC, MAAC, Southern, & American East To Make Final Four

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Next Programs From The NEC, MAAC, Southern, & American East To Make Final Four

Post by gymman1031 »

No programs from the NEC, MAAC, and Southern Conference have ever made the Final Four as DI programs.
From the American East, only Albany(one time) has made it.

Who will the next, whether Albany or anyone else, to appear in the Final Four? Could it happen this decade?
oldbartman

Re: Next Programs From The NEC, MAAC, Southern, & American East To Make Final Four

Post by oldbartman »

I'll bite.... Hobart
HopFan16

Re: Next Programs From The NEC, MAAC, Southern, & American East To Make Final Four

Post by HopFan16 »

The honest answer is probably none, at least not until something changes to upend the ACC, Big Ten, Ivy, Patriot, and Big East's stranglehold on recruiting and their better resources.

I guess Albany is the likeliest since they've proven they can get there in the last few years, but not sure Marr will ever assemble a team as talented as the one he had in 2018 again.

Richmond under Chemotti could have a chance, but who knows how long he stays there, and if their upward trajectory continues under a new regime.

Maybe Stony Brook under Gilardi but they've got a long way to go.

High Point will probably be a popular answer but if they couldn't even make the tournament in 2019 then I don't see how they make a Final Four any time soon. Nolting is now a senior—they may not see another player like him ever.

There are other programs like Hobart, Robert Morris, St. Joe's, and Air Force that have flirted with success in recent years and have built solid programs, but frankly I just don't see Final Fours in their futures unless the sport changes in unpredictable ways.
Short answer:

1. Albany
2. Richmond
3. Stony Brook

...but in all likelihood, none of them. Would love to be proven wrong.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I am saying Richmond. They continue to improve. And, here is the thing:

Of all the programs in those four conferences, Richmond may well have the most to sell in recruiting. They have great academics, and, the truth is, a yuppie atmosphere that so may lacrosse players love. If they were in the Patriot League, they would have more to sell than most other programs.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Outside of Albany or Stony Brook, can't see any making a FF. Richmond might, but I would call that a stretch.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 pm No programs from the NEC, MAAC, and Southern Conference have ever made the Final Four as DI programs.

Who will the next, whether Albany or anyone else, to appear in the Final Four? Could it happen this decade?
RM gave the Terps all they wanted 2 seasons ago.
2 games isn’t like hoops where you need to win 4.
Richmond, Hobart, Saint Joe’s all are capable
Probably not this year with several super stacked teams
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 pm No programs from the NEC, MAAC, and Southern Conference have ever made the Final Four as DI programs.

RM gave the Terps all they wanted 2 seasons ago.
2 games isn’t like hoops where you need to win 4.
Richmond, Hobart, Saint Joe’s all are capable
Probably not this year with several super stacked teams
Yes, RM sure did. And that was without their starting goalie.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Fun topic if some wishful thinking. Maybe next to make quarters would be a better approach but also since it is titled "next" shouldn't that exclude Albany from discussion as I read it to mean for a first time rather than simply next out of many times.

If we adjusted to quarters it's easier to envision. Clearly if one strikes lighting at FOGO and goalie at the same time (Bryant a few years back) a second round (not counting play in) is a little easier than building the overall depth on both sides to make it I think. That's the real difference.
It's not necessarily the starting lines as much as by Rd 1 can a team trot out a second wave of LSM and midfielders that can be productive when a playoff team is locking down on their top 2-3 offensive threats or consistently exploiting one defensive player where they can get some help in teh second half. Coaches can get programs hot so this can change but as the state of things exist today the top 5-6 would probably be (excluding Albany based on above for now):

AE:
UVM
SBU
UMBC

MAAC:
Not sure, not picking on them, but don't see any at moment, closest mightve been Brecht era Siena but that was destroyed by his predecessor (who I have issues with personally based on his time at Hobart for what it's worth)

SoCon:
Richmond
Air Force
High Point
Jacksonville has that potential w Florida being attractive still, loose academics and a good young aggressive coach (if they survive as an institution which isn't a slam dunk, but we all would hope they do surely)

NEC:
Hobart
St Joes
Bryant

In the immediate future of the next 1-2 years, I'd say the top 5 look like (in no order)

Richmond
Air Force
Hobart
St Joes
SBU/UVM

High Point is so up and down you never know, but still hasn't gotten even to a play in yet. UVM is a small stretch but they've gotten some real talent over the years, some stayed some transferred but I could see them loading on offense and outlasting a first round matchup at some point. Air Force and Richmond have been closest in the past 5yrs. Bryant still rebuilding a little bit. St Joes has a shot but needs to not choke in conference first. Hobart has been building something for a couple of years (since 16-17 with one rebuilding yr in 2018) and I felt strongly was finally going to get a clean run to the playoffs last year. Bring a ton back, but no idea on goalie and have a question at 2nd SSDM, but lots of experienced poles, close D, three mid lines that can run with top 20 teams all day and even w/o Holden some serious talent at attack.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:49 pm Fun topic if some wishful thinking. Maybe next to make quarters would be a better approach but also since it is titled "next" shouldn't that exclude Albany from discussion as I read it to mean for a first time rather than simply next out of many times.

If we adjusted to quarters it's easier to envision. Clearly if one strikes lighting at FOGO and goalie at the same time (Bryant a few years back) a second round (not counting play in) is a little easier than building the overall depth on both sides to make it I think. That's the real difference.
It's not necessarily the starting lines as much as by Rd 1 can a team trot out a second wave of LSM and midfielders that can be productive when a playoff team is locking down on their top 2-3 offensive threats or consistently exploiting one defensive player where they can get some help in teh second half. Coaches can get programs hot so this can change but as the state of things exist today the top 5-6 would probably be (excluding Albany based on above for now):

AE:
UVM
SBU
UMBC

MAAC:
Not sure, not picking on them, but don't see any at moment, closest mightve been Brecht era Siena but that was destroyed by his predecessor (who I have issues with personally based on his time at Hobart for what it's worth)

SoCon:
Richmond
Air Force
High Point
Jacksonville has that potential w Florida being attractive still, loose academics and a good young aggressive coach (if they survive as an institution which isn't a slam dunk, but we all would hope they do surely)

NEC:
Hobart
St Joes
Bryant

In the immediate future of the next 1-2 years, I'd say the top 5 look like (in no order)

Richmond
Air Force
Hobart
St Joes
SBU/UVM

High Point is so up and down you never know, but still hasn't gotten even to a play in yet. UVM is a small stretch but they've gotten some real talent over the years, some stayed some transferred but I could see them loading on offense and outlasting a first round matchup at some point. Air Force and Richmond have been closest in the past 5yrs. Bryant still rebuilding a little bit. St Joes has a shot but needs to not choke in conference first. Hobart has been building something for a couple of years (since 16-17 with one rebuilding yr in 2018) and I felt strongly was finally going to get a clean run to the playoffs last year. Bring a ton back, but no idea on goalie and have a question at 2nd SSDM, but lots of experienced poles, close D, three mid lines that can run with top 20 teams all day and even w/o Holden some serious talent at attack.
Outstanding post! Agree with everything. One note is that High Point did make a play-in game in 2015, in which they lost a close one to Towson. Of course, they would probably have gotten an at-large bid to the 2019 postseason had they not
had that bad loss to St. John's.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My bad didn't recall HPU getting an AQ. Have had some solid teams, but a lot of volatility.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:01 pm My bad didn't recall HPU getting an AQ. Have had some solid teams, but a lot of volatility.
No worries at all. By the way, while all the power to Richmond if they do, would prefer to see multiple AQs from the Southern Conference this decade rather than Richmond dominating.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:49 pm Fun topic if some wishful thinking. Maybe next to make quarters would be a better approach but also since it is titled "next" shouldn't that exclude Albany from discussion as I read it to mean for a first time rather than simply next out of many times.

AE:
UVM
SBU
UMBC

MAAC:

SoCon:
Richmond
Air Force
High Point

NEC:
Hobart
St Joes
Bryant

Richmond
Air Force
Hobart
St Joes
SBU/UVM

St. Joe’s v Hobart in 2020 would have been a great game to watch.
Intriguing matchups
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

No doubt. I think folks would’ve been surprised at the strength of the NEC too three (RMU, SJU & Bart). Maybe four w Bryant but I wasn’t sold after the rough 2019 and a mixed start (solid wins vs SBU and BU but losses to Dartmouth and blasted by Prov). SJU was next but I guarantee SJU would’ve won that one as Bryant was at the end of a three game two week stretch including a midweek trip to UNC and at SJU.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:56 pm No doubt. I think folks would’ve been surprised at the strength of the NEC too three (RMU, SJU & Bart). Maybe four w Bryant but I wasn’t sold after the rough 2019 and a mixed start (solid wins vs SBU and BU but losses to Dartmouth and blasted by Prov). SJU was next but I guarantee SJU would’ve won that one as Bryant was at the end of a three game two week stretch including a midweek trip to UNC and at SJU.
Even Mount St. Mary's, at least here and there, has shown improvement. They were the 2019 regular season champs, I believe.
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Marist has beaten many of the teams mentioned above in recent years, including SBU in 5 of their last 6 meetings. The last time St. Joe’s was willing to schedule them it was Marist by 8 and they beat Bryant in the 2015 play in game. They blew out a top ten Army team last year by 8 goals and most of their team returns. They would compete for the top spot in any of these conferences.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:01 pm I am saying Richmond. They continue to improve. And, here is the thing:

Of all the programs in those four conferences, Richmond may well have the most to sell in recruiting. They have great academics, and, the truth is, a yuppie atmosphere that so may lacrosse players love. If they were in the Patriot League, they would have more to sell than most other programs.
UR is the correct response. Add in that the program has excellent financial support, and they're ready to take that Denver jump from good mid-major to national contender.

Sadly, I think Albany's run is over. UMBC is one of those teams that seems to catch lightening and go on runs in their conference tournament. Could they win 2 in the NCAAs? If some chaos happens in the bracket, they could.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wheels wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:43 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:01 pm I am saying Richmond. They continue to improve. And, here is the thing:

UR is the correct response. Add in that the program has excellent financial support, and they're ready to take that Denver jump from good mid-major to national contender.

Sadly, I think Albany's run is over. UMBC is one of those teams that seems to catch lightening and go on runs in their conference tournament. Could they win 2 in the NCAAs? If some chaos happens in the bracket, they could.
In addition, I think Stony Brook is going to get better and better under their current coach.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Is UR fully funded?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:41 pm

Is UR fully funded?
Yes they dropped soccer to make it haopen
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Plus a $3M gift to start the program, and I believe they've received another multi-million dollar gift to the program since.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”