Unfit Joe Biden and Kamala Harris

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: President Elect Biden*

Post by kramerica.inc »

Biden's electoral fight strategy to follow his campaign strategy: Don't say too much, don't rock the boat. Just don't blow it:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 am Biden's electoral fight strategy to follow his campaign strategy: Don't say too much, don't rock the boat. Just don't blow it:

What is there to blow? He won.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

The important thing to understand is that the objections amount to an attempt at a legal coup - but one which is unsupported by _any_ evidence. Every politician who stands up to object needs to be labeled as exactly that - suborning sedition, so to speak.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

As an independent voter, I have no choice but to admit that the USA is so much better off under a Democrat party administration than it is under a Republican regime.

It's time for a song:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:12 am
As an "independent" voter, I have no choice but to admit that the USA is so much better off under a Democrat party administration than it is under a Republican regime.
Fixed it for you.

Just like MDLaxFan is a "Republican."

;) :lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 am
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:12 am
As an "independent" voter, I have no choice but to admit that the USA is so much better off under a Democrat party administration than it is under a Republican regime.
Fixed it for you.

Just like MDLaxFan is a "Republican."

;) :lol:

Wishful thinking, if you can call it that. ;)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A good read on the Jill Biden kerfuffle.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/annkirschn ... bd3f83bbf7

At the heart of it is the problem with Universities:
My experience in finding challenging opportunities outside of the academy is not unique: there are many PhDs out there who have found satisfying jobs in every corner of the business and nonprofit world. But for everyone who has succeeded, there are many more who have struggled to find challenging, upwardly mobile pathways. When they seek alternative employment, they do it mostly alone, feeling betrayed by academic departments that worry less about their job prospects and more about their essential roles as research and teaching assistants.

A time of reckoning is coming. As the academic job market worsens and undergraduate enrollment declines, more than 50 universities have announced that they will selectively suspend graduate applications. The stated reason is to conserve resources for students already in progress towards the degree. That’s a nice headline, but I suspect that the other agenda is to right-size the number of graduate students in line with their academic employment prospects.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree, why recruit students for jobs that don’t exist? On the other hand, is doctoral education only good for academic employment? Doesn’t the world need more, not fewer, thinkers and researchers who have devoted the time to a deep understanding of a field of knowledge and are committed to contributing to that knowledge? How could we add new value to graduate degrees — and new variety to their prospects?

This effort should start with universities thinking strategically about the problem, which is like a dry rot at the center of the academic world. Today’s Ph.D. graduate faces a job market where full-time professorships are rare, and the life of an adjunct faculty member can be downright hellish. If universities want to avoid the dissolution of their graduate schools, they are going to have to take concrete steps to support their students in whatever employment they seek. In today’s world, that is likelier to be in the private sector than it is in academics. I took a quick look at the current job postings for my once chosen field of British literature, and I saw three full-time jobs available in the United States. Three.
The trend to make lifelong, academics and "career students" and teachers that never leave campus and have no marketable skills outside of studying the same narrow content is the issue.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:12 pm The trend to make lifelong, academics and "career students" and teachers that never leave campus and have no marketable skills outside of studying the same narrow content is the issue.
The vast majority of people who go to grad school know the odds of staying in the academy are small. They do it anyway, either because they want to be the one to beat the odds, or because they love it enough to devote those years of their lives to it.

Pretty similar deal in athletics. Maybe we should shut down lax programs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:12 pm A good read on the Jill Biden kerfuffle.

My experience in finding challenging opportunities outside of the academy is not unique: there are many PhDs out there who have found satisfying jobs in every corner of the business and nonprofit world. But for everyone who has succeeded, there are many more who have struggled to find challenging, upwardly mobile pathways. When they seek alternative employment, they do it mostly alone, feeling betrayed by academic departments that worry less about their job prospects and more about their essential roles as research and teaching assistants.

A time of reckoning is coming. As the academic job market worsens and undergraduate enrollment declines, more than 50 universities have announced that they will selectively suspend graduate applications. The stated reason is to conserve resources for students already in progress towards the degree. That’s a nice headline, but I suspect that the other agenda is to right-size the number of graduate students in line with their academic employment prospects.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree, why recruit students for jobs that don’t exist? On the other hand, is doctoral education only good for academic employment? Doesn’t the world need more, not fewer, thinkers and researchers who have devoted the time to a deep understanding of a field of knowledge and are committed to contributing to that knowledge? How could we add new value to graduate degrees — and new variety to their prospects?

This effort should start with universities thinking strategically about the problem, which is like a dry rot at the center of the academic world. Today’s Ph.D. graduate faces a job market where full-time professorships are rare, and the life of an adjunct faculty member can be downright hellish. If universities want to avoid the dissolution of their graduate schools, they are going to have to take concrete steps to support their students in whatever employment they seek. In today’s world, that is likelier to be in the private sector than it is in academics. I took a quick look at the current job postings for my once chosen field of British literature, and I saw three full-time jobs available in the United States. Three.
The trend to make lifelong, academics and "career students" and teachers that never leave campus and have no marketable skills outside of studying the same narrow content is the issue.
Maybe detaching higher education from employment and professional pursuits would be the better path
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:28 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:12 pm The trend to make lifelong, academics and "career students" and teachers that never leave campus and have no marketable skills outside of studying the same narrow content is the issue.
The vast majority of people who go to grad school know the odds of staying in the academy are small. They do it anyway, either because they want to be the one to beat the odds, or because they love it enough to devote those years of their lives to it.

But doing it for the pursuit or love and then turning around and complaining about how it isn’t enhancing employment opportunities is a bit incongruous no?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

For sure. There are many things that could be done to make the situation better, eg the Princeton program that was mentioned sounds like a good idea (though I don't know the details of it). The PhDs working in business might also try talking themselves up instead of down, eg, "my thorough knowledge of politics in 17th century Bulgaria turned out to be amazingly preparation for dealing with relationships in the business world", or "my writing a book-length dissertation on a detailed point of analysis of 12th century French literature turned out be excellent training for optimizing business plans". And they should have alumni networking groups, kinda like lax players.

But this is the wrong thread for this discussion ...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 am Biden's electoral fight strategy to follow his campaign strategy: Don't say too much, don't rock the boat. Just don't blow it:

What is there to blow? He won.
Implies the opposite for Trump which is be yourself as publicly and loudly as possible and demonstrate what a loser is.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:28 pm

It's not true for all. But there IS a thread of truth in the saying, "Those who can't..."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No comment from president elect yet.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

CJ Ciaramella@cjciaramella
3 mins ago
Merrick Garland, this morning: Finally, it's Merrick's day to shine!
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm No comment from president elect yet.
Biden’s listening to fanlax!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Preet Bharara
@PreetBharara
4 mins ago
The President is speaking
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Joe Biden: "It's not protests. It's insurrection."
Caddy Day
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:12 pm A good read on the Jill Biden kerfuffle.

The caveat here would be the programs where the PhD students contribute to useful research and development and do have a path outside the academic world. Thinking of Engineers, Scientists, etc., not British literature or Sanskrit.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Carroll81 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:26 pm

The caveat here would be the programs where the PhD students contribute to useful research and development and do have a path outside the academic world. Thinking of Engineers, Scientists, etc., not British literature or Sanskrit.
My father taught himself how to read Sanskrit
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”