Good News

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Andersen

Re: Good News

Post by Andersen »

Danish Aebleskivers with jam for Christmas Breakfast, Crabmeat Yvonne for Christmas Dinner using the Galatoire's recipe. Wheat Chex with banana this morning. :D
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:18 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:03 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:58 pm We're garbage feeders in comparison, sc, that ardilla boy don't screw around. ;)
He needs to book a trip to Lyon, France post Covid!!
And what’s the classic dish to order in Lyon?
You asked to soon. My friend prepared it for me and my son. A prawn or crayfish based dish. I can’t remember the name now!

EDIT: Quenelle
Quenelles de brochet au sauce Nantua.
Quenelles are football shaped, not sized forcemeat made of pike. They are light and delicate in texture. Sauce Nantua (named for village northeast of Lyon) is made from crayfish.

Quenelles de brochet are ubiquitous in Lyon which is the culinary epicenter of France. There are restaurants and specialty shops all over where this is available. It’s quite good and often served with a Cru Beaujolais wine which is about an hour north.

What is Cru Beaujolais? There are 10 villages in the Beaujolais wine region of southern Burgundy that make up the highest quality category. They are located on the hillsides as opposed to the more common Beaujolais and Beaujolais Villages in the valley. The grape here is Gamay. These 10 villages from the better producers make some of the best wines in the world. Outstanding food companions.

The 10 Villages - the two best importers to look for are Louis-Dressner and Kermit Lynch.
Brouilly, Cote de Brouilly, Chenas, Chiroubles, Fleurie, Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin au Vent, Régnié, St-Amour.
Man I can’t wait to go back... Maybe next year but I am definitely going back! We had a great time. A bit of father and son trip as my wife headed back home for classes and my son and I had more time. My daughter was doing a semester in London. Can’t believe how things changed in 1 year.
When you go back make sure to stop at the Les Halles de Lyon – Paul Bocuse, Lyon’s main food market. The last time I was there I unknowingly stayed at a hotel across the street. It amazing. Just the cheese section alone will blow you away. Also check out Veuix Lyon for the Renaissance and Roman architecture. A great place to walk around.

For a road trip go north to the Burgundian city of Mâcon and eat at a cafe while getting lost in the shimmering lights of the Saône River or go south down the Rhône river. Within an hour you can be in the Northern Rhône wine region which is the spiritual home of the Syrah grape. Check out The appellations of Hermitage, Cote Rotie, Cornas for the best Syrah on Earth as well as Crozes-Hermitage and St-Joseph. You can also sample the best Viognier ever in Condreiu and Chateau Grillet. One of the most memorable moments in my life was driving up the dirt road to La Chapel in the vineyards above Tain l’Hermitage early in the morning. Look it up.

Once you get to Valence the climate starts to turn from continental to Mediterranean. In another hour you can be in Avignon if you can handle the heady aromas of rosemary, thyme and lavender by the river. Stop someplace and get a couple slices of Pissaladiere, the southern French style of pizza. From Avignon it’s a short drive to Châteauneuf-du-Pape (new castle of the Pope) to visit the ruins of the Popes former fun house when he was based in Avignon. Also a short drive to Nîmes if interested in seeing some of the best Roman architecture anywhere. T Jefferson was particularly smitten with the Roman temple of Maison Carrée. I was impressed too as well the the aqueduct Pont du Gard.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:18 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:03 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:58 pm We're garbage feeders in comparison, sc, that ardilla boy don't screw around. ;)
He needs to book a trip to Lyon, France post Covid!!
And what’s the classic dish to order in Lyon?
You asked to soon. My friend prepared it for me and my son. A prawn or crayfish based dish. I can’t remember the name now!

EDIT: Quenelle
Quenelles de brochet au sauce Nantua.
Quenelles are football shaped, not sized forcemeat made of pike. They are light and delicate in texture. Sauce Nantua (named for village northeast of Lyon) is made from crayfish.

Quenelles de brochet are ubiquitous in Lyon which is the culinary epicenter of France. There are restaurants and specialty shops all over where this is available. It’s quite good and often served with a Cru Beaujolais wine which is about an hour north.

What is Cru Beaujolais? There are 10 villages in the Beaujolais wine region of southern Burgundy that make up the highest quality category. They are located on the hillsides as opposed to the more common Beaujolais and Beaujolais Villages in the valley. The grape here is Gamay. These 10 villages from the better producers make some of the best wines in the world. Outstanding food companions.

The 10 Villages - the two best importers to look for are Louis-Dressner and Kermit Lynch.
Brouilly, Cote de Brouilly, Chenas, Chiroubles, Fleurie, Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin au Vent, Régnié, St-Amour.
Man I can’t wait to go back... Maybe next year but I am definitely going back! We had a great time. A bit of father and son trip as my wife headed back home for classes and my son and I had more time. My daughter was doing a semester in London. Can’t believe how things changed in 1 year.
When you go back make sure to stop at the Les Halles de Lyon – Paul Bocuse, Lyon’s main food market. The last time I was there I unknowingly stayed at a hotel across the street. It amazing. Just the cheese section alone will blow you away. Also check out Veuix Lyon for the Renaissance and Roman architecture. A great place to walk around.

For a road trip go north to the Burgundian city of Mâcon and eat at a cafe while getting lost in the shimmering lights of the Saône River or go south down the Rhône river. Within an hour you can be in the Northern Rhône wine region which is the spiritual home of the Syrah grape. Check out The appellations of Hermitage, Cote Rotie, Cornas for the best Syrah on Earth as well as Crozes-Hermitage and St-Joseph. You can also sample the best Viognier ever in Condreiu and Chateau Grillet. One of the most memorable moments in my life was driving up the dirt road to La Chapel in the vineyards above Tain l’Hermitage early in the morning. Look it up.

Once you get to Valence the climate starts to turn from continental to Mediterranean. In another hour you can be in Avignon if you can handle the heady aromas of rosemary, thyme and lavender by the river. Stop someplace and get a couple slices of Pissaladiere, the southern French style of pizza. From Avignon it’s a short drive to Châteauneuf-du-Pape (new castle of the Pope) to visit the ruins of the Popes former fun house when he was based in Avignon. Also a short drive to Nîmes if interested in seeing some of the best Roman architecture anywhere. T Jefferson was particularly smitten with the Roman temple of Maison Carrée. I was impressed too as well the the aqueduct Pont du Gard.
That’s living! We visited a Cote Rotie winery. Delicious. Small winery at the very top of the very steep hills. Nice lady and her father runs it. Like walking into someone’s country home and they say let me show you my wine cellar and you walk into the basement and it's barrels of wine. Learned a lot. I am going back. One of my best friends from business school lives there and three or four other friends from graduate school lives there. 3 french and a Persian girl. I met two of my friends for lunch at a small cafe. It was fantastic. We had planned to go to Lisbon and Marrakesh this past fall. May go back to Lyon and then Marrakesh next year. Will take your travel guide!
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

How about a few tips on finding good Champagne and sparkling wine.

The popular names in Champagne are referred to as Grande Marque (grand label) and include the likes of Moët, Mumm, Clicquot, Bollinger, Taittinger, Perrier-Jouet, Pol Roger and others. These labels look for a standardized taste through blending. They may grow some of their grapes but most come from contracts with other growers. They are back by an army of marketing people and their wholesalers. Production is generally in the 500,000 to 1mil case range.

However, the real jewels and excitement is in the grower-producers. These are small farmers growing their own grapes and making their own wines almost always from superior vineyards rated Premier Cru (1er) or the highest Grand Cru. Production is likely to be in the 2,000 to 10,000 case range. These are special and distinctive wines that have a greater expression of the terrior.

Aside from knowing who the producers are, there is a small mark on the front label, RM (Récoltant-Manipulant) designating that it is a grower-producer Champagne. Unlike the big labels, these RM wines will have a disgorgement date. That’s the time when they jettison the spent yeast and refresh it with a wine/sugar solution to produce the bubbles from 2nd fermentation. It’s generally best to have the disgorgement date within two years of consuming. It’s not unheard of for less reputable retailers to have wines well beyond this date, so you need to look. Another hint on finding a sure winner is to look on the back for a RM Champagne imported by Terry Thiese. He was one of the first to import these gems about 22 years ago and has a great portfolio .

Look for names like Aubry, Pierre Peters, A Margaine, Geoffroy, H Billiot, Chartogne-Taillet, Gaston-Chiquet, Vilmart, Larmandier-Bernier, Pierre Gimonnet, etc.

Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Anything else is sparkling wine. Champagne is a proprietary blend that can be made from Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and/or Pinot Meunier.

https://7f259aa4-bcaf-4d14-86ff-e213dfb ... index=true

So put the Veuve Clicquot down. It’s vastly overrated and try something good.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:13 pm How about a few tips on finding good Champagne and sparkling wine.

The popular names in Champagne are referred to as Grande Marque (grand label) and include the likes of Moët, Mumm, Clicquot, Bollinger, Taittinger, Perrier-Jouet, Pol Roger and others. These labels look for a standardized taste through blending. They may grow some of their grapes but most come from contracts with other growers. They are back by an army of marketing people and their wholesalers. Production is generally in the 500,000 to 1mil case range.

However, the real jewels and excitement is in the grower-producers. These are small farmers growing their own grapes and making their own wines almost always from superior vineyards rated Premier Cru (1er) or the highest Grand Cru. Production is likely to be in the 2,000 to 10,000 case range. These are special and distinctive wines that have a greater expression of the terrior.

Aside from knowing who the producers are, there is a small mark on the front label, RM (Récoltant-Manipulant) designating that it is a grower-producer Champagne. Unlike the big labels, these RM wines will have a disgorgement date. That’s the time when they jettison the spent yeast and refresh it with a wine/sugar solution to produce the bubbles from 2nd fermentation. It’s generally best to have the disgorgement date within two years of consuming. It’s not unheard of for less reputable retailers to have wines well beyond this date, so you need to look. Another hint on finding a sure winner is to look on the back for a RM Champagne imported by Terry Thiese. He was one of the first to import these gems about 22 years ago and has a great portfolio .

Look for names like Aubry, Pierre Peters, A Margaine, Geoffroy, H Billiot, Chartogne-Taillet, Gaston-Chiquet, Vilmart, Larmandier-Bernier, Pierre Gimonnet, etc.

Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Anything else is sparkling wine. Champagne is a proprietary blend that can be made from Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and/or Pinot Meunier.

Good stuff AS. Thanks for the lesson. Heading to the store to look at labels.

I have always had a preference for local sparkling wine of the Finger Lakes:
https://www.drfrankwines.com/winemaking/#sparkling
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:13 pm How about a few tips on finding good Champagne and sparkling wine.

Goodness...that is one helluva lesson, thanks. Curious, is wine and culinary your career of choice, you certainly have a strong history and knowledge of each?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Sweet Jesus; heading out to the liquor store now.
DMac

Post by DMac »

It’s generally best to have the disgorgement date within two years of consuming. It’s not unheard of for less reputable retailers to have wines well beyond this date, so you need to look.
Damn, guess it's not looking too good for me.
Wasn't one winery in the Finger Lakes when I was a kid, now there are a ton of them.
Pretty sure they have a good reputation for good quality wines too.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:03 pm
It’s generally best to have the disgorgement date within two years of consuming. It’s not unheard of for less reputable retailers to have wines well beyond this date, so you need to look.
Wasn't one winery in the Finger Lakes when I was a kid, now there are a ton of them.
You might find one set to expire in a day or so at 50% off!!
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can't be past that two years though, otherwise I'm gettin' garbage (this aint chicken breasts).
I'll leave it there for someone who hasn't read this thread (not that my taste buds would be able to tell the difference, I'm the one who drinks PBR or Keystone and thinks it's pretty good).
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:25 pm Can't be past that two years though, otherwise I'm gettin' garbage (this aint chicken breasts).
I'll leave it there for someone who hasn't read this thread (not that my taste buds would be able to tell the difference, I'm the one who drinks PBR or Keystone and thinks it's pretty good).
Just having fun. Have a happy new year. If you are looking for just an entertainment movie, try Cold Pursuit. You might like it. It was pretty good for what it was.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, me too, and Happy New Year to you and all the TLDs.
Just had some of that 50% chicken, cooked it up schnitzel style.....chickenschnitzel?
Smothered with German Hunter Sauce, all came out right on the money. Tasty stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SVkCKS9Vw
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:25 pm chickenschnitzel?
It's a thing!

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chicken-schnitzel
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, so much for my originality.
Bet theirs cost more to make than mine though. ;)
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:03 pm
The serious FL producers are making very nice sparklers. The FL like Champagne struggles to gain ripeness (cool climate) and that is good for sparklers as high acid is needed to make it right.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finger Lakes wines lookin' strong.
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/drinks/2 ... _poll.html
Mighty good bass fishing in that lake.
ardilla secreta

Another less expensive alternative are the French sparkling wines outside of the Champagne district. Most French wine regions make a Cremant (sparkling wine). Here are some good regions to look for and they’re made in the Champagne method with 2nd fermentation in bottle as opposed to 2nd fermentation in a large tank like the cheap American brands. Cremant generally run in the $18-$26 range.

Cremant de Bourgogne - typically Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, Gamay
Cremant de Loire - Chenin Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Gamay
Cremant de Alsace - Pinot Blanc, Auxerrois, Pinot Noir
Cremant de Limoux - Chardonnay, Mauzac, Chenin Blanc

Another alternative is Cava, sparkling wine from Spain. Cava is made and grown in Catalunya from Macabeo, Parellada and Xarel-lo grapes. Retailers are awash in ordinary commercial labels, but there are some exceptional producers. The one that is absolutely stunning is from Castellroig. The roig part is pronounced as “roych”. If your can find a retailer that carries this then you’ve struck gold. It’s around $16.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:37 pm Finger Lakes wines lookin' strong.
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/drinks/2 ... _poll.html
Mighty good bass fishing in that lake.
Yeah DMac I can personally attest to how well they are doing as I’ve been to nearly every damn winery in the Fl multiple times. And I don’t drink ! Yet, when the wife or daughter or friends from out of state want to go for a tasting or two or six, guess who automatically becomes the DD. With all that land onsite couldn’t they at least put in a driving range, a putting green or anything for a guy like me to do while they’re in there having a good ole time. :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

One would think, right, 6? Just a little consideration and appreciation for the DD aint askin' much.
Boy, that makes for a fun day, cartin' around a bunch of women drunk on wine...oh boy. :lol:
Some of those places are pretty darn nice and the scenery in the Finger Lakes is hard to beat
in the summer.
Can't remember the last time I had a glass of wine, only ever buy it for cooking...adds a nice touch.
Happy New Year.
AOD

Post by AOD »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:46 pm Another less expensive alternative are the French sparkling wines outside of the Champagne district. Most French wine regions make a Cremant (sparkling wine). Here are some good regions to look for and they’re made in the Champagne method with 2nd fermentation in bottle as opposed to 2nd fermentation in a large tank like the cheap American brands. Cremant generally run in the $18-$26 range.

Cremant de Bourgogne - typically Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, Gamay
Cremant de Loire - Chenin Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Gamay
Cremant de Alsace - Pinot Blanc, Auxerrois, Pinot Noir
Cremant de Limoux - Chardonnay, Mauzac, Chenin Blanc

Another alternative is Cava, sparkling wine from Spain. Cava is made and grown in Catalunya from Macabeo, Parellada and Xarel-lo grapes. Retailers are awash in ordinary commercial labels, but there are some exceptional producers. The one that is absolutely stunning is from Castellroig. The roig part is pronounced as “roych”. If your can find a retailer that carries this then you’ve struck gold. It’s around $16.
Truly outstanding AS. This is why I keep coming to the boards.

My local has the Castellroig Brut for $13 and the Rose for $15.

Great point about Cremant. One I've enjoyed is Cremant de Bourgogne Brut by Maison JJ Vincent at around $20.

And, one quality domestic that isn't too hard to find is Gloria Ferrer's Blanc de Blanc. Also around $20.

Thanks for sharing.

Return to “POLITICS”