The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by a fan »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:01 pm People love to bicker on this forum, but as PS points out, nothing will change as long as money determines who gets in office and makes policy. Odd that this topic is among the least discussed.
Folks don't agree on that point, AS. If they did, Republicans wouldn't be cheering "conservative" judges being placed on the bench that vote in favor of the 1%-----Citizens United made money in politics worse than ever.

Republicans think money in politics is fine. Change their mind on this point? The libs will be overjoyed, and will finally get money out....

Don't hold your breath...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

A. $14Bn was raised by both parties this cycle. Could’ve done a lot with that other than but lifetime pensions for potential one term congressmen.
1. Around $325mm has been raised in Q4 alone just for the two seats in Ga. This is all gross.

B. Yeah, we should really strive harder to emulate Europe as some people here like to suggest regularly.

https://www.axios.com/eu-china-investme ... 8f130.html
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am B. Yeah, we should really strive harder to emulate Europe as some people here like to suggest regularly.

You're in finance. You know full well that the US is ALREADY doing what the EU just signed up to do in terms of trade.

I said it when the fake Trade War started, and I'm happy to say it again: what you---and Republicans----are asking for, is a full on Cold War with China. No trade. No visas for chinese citizens to work or study in US.

We either need to pull the trigger on that, or stop complaining. Pick one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am B. Yeah, we should really strive harder to emulate Europe as some people here like to suggest regularly.

You're in finance. You know full well that the US is ALREADY doing what the EU just signed up to do in terms of trade.

I said it when the fake Trade War started, and I'm happy to say it again: what you---and Republicans----are asking for, is a full on Cold War with China. No trade. No visas for chinese citizens to work or study in US.

Not me regarding China, and not the first time you’ve thrown me into a group I don’t belong to at all as should be evidenced by a myriad of my post history. But what you ignore in falsely categorizing me into a group I don’t belong into is how much lecturing about how morally superior and how much better off the citizenry of Europe is (incorrectly) and then they yet show another double standard to benefit themselves. I would guess the promotion of European values and systems are promoted vs questioned on a 10:1 or 20:1 ratio on here and that’s just wrong IMO. Same as folks here checking their humanity at a border when it comes to other interests.

My only problem w China is IP but half that is stupid (or smart int be way Microsoft allowed windows to be stolen for years to create stickiness with their system) US execs believing they wouldn’t get robbed blindly in setting up a 49% JV w a Chinese company. But I also believe that if you only steal and don’t innovate that’s nothing more than a band aid in rain. I’m not as worried about China for two reasons: 1. They overvalue labor in the mix of means of production which isn’t optimal and don’t know how to do otherwise and 2. They don’t fundamentally believe in property rights as evidenced by how they are banging on Jack Ma at the moment and can take anyone’s assets at any time. There’s no hybrid “new way“ of being capitalist as some idiot business professors push onto their MBA students. It is what it is and it will fail.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 pm Not me regarding China, and not the first time you’ve thrown me into a group I don’t belong to at all as should be evidenced by a myriad of my post history.
Ok.....so tell me what you meant by this:
To me? This clearly says that you are NOT in favor of the EU trade deal that is detailed in your link.

Am I wrong? I can only react to what you post. If I'm wrong, my apologies....but surely you can see that I didn't come to that conclusion on my own, right?
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am But what you ignore in falsely categorizing me into a group I don’t belong into is how much lecturing about how morally superior and how much better off the citizenry of Europe is (incorrectly) and then they yet show another double standard to benefit themselves. I would guess the promotion of European values and systems are promoted vs questioned on a 10:1 or 20:1 ratio on here and that’s just wrong IMO. Same as folks here checking their humanity at a border when it comes to other interests.
I have always disagreed with the restriction of trade with the idea that we should ONLY trade with countries that meet some ethical standard of American behavior.

Because then who would we trade with? It would be a pretty short list, would it not?

And really, America falls short on ethical behavior on a whole bunch of fronts. Physician, heal thyself.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 pm Not me regarding China, and not the first time you’ve thrown me into a group I don’t belong to at all as should be evidenced by a myriad of my post history.
Ok.....so tell me what you meant by this:
To me? This clearly says that you are NOT in favor of the EU trade deal that is detailed in your link.

Am I wrong? I can only react to what you post. If I'm wrong, my apologies....but surely you can see that I didn't come to that conclusion on my own, right?
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am But what you ignore in falsely categorizing me into a group I don’t belong into is how much lecturing about how morally superior and how much better off the citizenry of Europe is (incorrectly) and then they yet show another double standard to benefit themselves. I would guess the promotion of European values and systems are promoted vs questioned on a 10:1 or 20:1 ratio on here and that’s just wrong IMO. Same as folks here checking their humanity at a border when it comes to other interests.
I have always disagreed with the restriction of trade with the idea that we should ONLY trade with countries that meet some ethical standard of American behavior.

Because then who would we trade with? It would be a pretty short list, would it not?

And really, America falls short on ethical behavior on a whole bunch of fronts. Physician, heal thyself.
First part if you are reading literally then you should think I’m for the agreement so it’s not true that you are simply literally reading my note but rather applying something to them in your mind.

We agree on inward looking responsibility and trade but you seem to be too inclined to segregate into two simplistic boxes. I’m responding to the incessant lecturing that we should behave more like Europe or that their outcomes on the whole are even fair comparisons when th are not. Many of these people are a brunching on avocado toast in places like Austin TX (you thought was going say NYC or SF disnt you) and will cite Edward Said as if he was a contemporary (or even living in France instead of New Haven CTfor a long time). I understand the need for benchmarks, I had to once use Hungary telecom privatization for a project to privatize Rwanda’s telecom industry (analyst out of college for a small consulting Nd merchant bank shop of ex World Bank Guys when the WB was only rolling debt if the country privatized industry in this tip early 2000s), but no one conflated the benchmark or something truly emulatableby design or desire.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm what you---and Republicans----are asking for, is a full on Cold War with China. No trade. No visas for chinese citizens to work or study in US.

Too late to pull that trigger. The best we can do is slow the takeover. Start showing your toddler cartoons in Mandarin.

Let's see what happens with Taiwan & our level of support.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm what you---and Republicans----are asking for, is a full on Cold War with China. No trade. No visas for chinese citizens to work or study in US.

Too late to pull that trigger. The best we can do is slow the takeover.
Meh. That's what they said about the Soviets. And then the Japanese with their businesses prowess in the 80's and 90's.

This is what Americans do: concoct an "enemy". I'm not buying it, thank you.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:48 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Too late to pull that trigger. The best we can do is slow the takeover.
Meh. That's what they said about the Soviets. And then the Japanese with their businesses prowess in the 80's and 90's.

This is what Americans do: concoct an "enemy". I'm not buying it, thank you.
You mean the Japanese in the '30's & '40's.
Re. the Soviets -- MAD worked, but there were close calls. We'll find out if it still does.
The ChiComms have 5 year plans that actually work.
Last edited by old salt on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Complaints about IP theft are somewhat droll. Go to CiteSeer and take a look at the most common names associated with recent scientific and technical papers adjudged relevant by citation.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/index;jse ... CB2FD2968F

“CiteSeerˣ is a public search engine and digital library for scientific and academic papers, primarily in the fields of computer and information science. CiteSeer is considered as a predecessor of academic search tools such as Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search.”.

The US has been “skimming” the right hand side of the intelligence distribution for the last 70 years (sort of like the British Empire used to). If some of those students leave and take their education and intelligence with them due to the ridiculous immigration and visa policies resultant from 9/11, we have no one but ourselves blame. Other more accommodating nations like Canada have certainly benefitted from this foolishness.

The rage and resentment from the left-hand asymptote jockeys who are left behind in this digital co-option are perfectly predictable.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Bernie hits McConnell: "Let me just make it clear for the majority leader, that 10 out of the poorest 25 counties in the United States of America are located in Kentucky. So maybe my colleague.. might want to get on the phone and start talking to working families in Kentucky."
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:52 pm Complaints about IP theft are somewhat droll. Go to CiteSeer and take a look at the most common names associated with recent scientific and technical papers adjudged relevant by citation.

“CiteSeerˣ is a public search engine and digital library for scientific and academic papers, primarily in the fields of computer and information science. CiteSeer is considered as a predecessor of academic search tools such as Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search.”.

The US has been “skimming” the right hand side of the intelligence distribution for the last 70 years (sort of like the British Empire used to). If some of those students leave and take their education and intelligence with them due to the ridiculous immigration and visa policies resultant from 9/11, we have no one but ourselves blame. Other more accommodating nations like Canada have certainly benefitted from this foolishness.

The rage and resentment from the left-hand asymptote jockeys who are left behind in this digital co-option are perfectly predictable.
This is a topic I think is actually relevant to American competitiveness with China and for that matter the rest of the world.

In my view, in the economies of the future, human capital optimization will be the key driver of success.

The Chinese have WAY more human capital potential than does the US due to sheer numbers. The question will be whether our system attracts and retains more human capital and whether it mines the potential better...on both, I think we're falling woefully short of what will be necessary to compete.

But I think we also have had, and still have, significant potential advantages...the question is whether we recognize and optimize to them...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:04 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:52 pm Complaints about IP theft are somewhat droll. Go to CiteSeer and take a look at the most common names associated with recent scientific and technical papers adjudged relevant by citation.

This is a topic I think is actually relevant to American competitiveness with China and for that matter the rest of the world.

In my view, in the economies of the future, human capital optimization will be the key driver of success.

The Chinese have WAY more human capital potential than does the US due to sheer numbers. The question will be whether our system attracts and retains more human capital and whether it mines the potential better...on both, I think we're falling woefully short of what will be necessary to compete.

But I think we also have had, and still have, significant potential advantages...the question is whether we recognize and optimize to them...
And this is why we need to continue funding our defense department, they and the contractors are often the leaders in innovation....as are the Chinese defense. Hell, I bet everything they do, they see as a position of strength militarily.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:50 pm You mean the Japanese in the '30's & '40's.
Yep. How'd that work out? You think China paid attention?

Notice that as relentlessly aggressive as America has been militarily? We haven't taken over the world.
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:50 pm The ChiComms have 5 year plans that actually work.
Heard that story before. Not buying it. They're not going anywhere anymore than we are.

Suppose we "take over the world". Great. Now what? It's pointless.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Exactly. The world is a big place and the co-option the US offers is somewhat undervalued at present.

Co-option is better than native retention. The candidates self-select; no issues with regression to the mean and second generation “wilt.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:24 pm

And this is why we need to continue funding our defense department, they and the contractors are often the leaders in innovation....as are the Chinese defense. Hell, I bet everything they do, they see as a position of strength militarily.
No disagreement about funding innovation in the defense arena, as well as NASA, and cyber, and AI, and bio, and...we need to recognize that these investments in innovation and technology matter a ton...and can attract talent to our country as well.

My point, though, was more about funding education much more heavily to be sure we're mining our own talent pool, and making sure we have a very open door to attracting immigrants with lots of talent to contribute. We should make this easy, not hard, for the best and brightest that earn top educational degrees here in the States, or for that matter any of the top 50 universities outside the US.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Year ends on low note as 787,000 more Americans file for unemployment

Pandemic wrecked jobs market in 2020

Unemployment claims rising amid new surge in Covid cases

Another 787,000 Americans filed for unemployment benefits in the week before Christmas, the last snapshot of 2020’s appalling jobs market before the New Year.

Unemployment claims have been rising again in recent weeks to their highest levels since the autumn as surging coronavirus rates have slowed hiring and led to more layoffs. At current levels the weekly claims figures are almost four times their pre-pandemic average.

The latest weekly figure from the Department of Labor was 19,000 lower than the previous week’s 803,000 claims but the average number of claims over the last four weeks is now 836,750, more than the population of the city of Seattle.

The national unemployment rate started the year at 3.6% in January and hit a record high of 14.7% in April as the coronavirus shut down much of the US economy. The unemployment rate has since declined dramatically, it was 6.7% in November, but the recovery has been uneven with women and black, Hispanic and young people still experiencing high levels of unemployment. The numbers of long-term unemployed are rising.

more
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... oronavirus

Thank you tRUMP.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 pm

No disagreement about funding innovation in the defense arena, as well as NASA, and cyber, and AI, and bio, and...we need to recognize that these investments in innovation and technology matter a ton...and can attract talent to our country as well.

My point, though, was more about funding education much more heavily to be sure we're mining our own talent pool, and making sure we have a very open door to attracting immigrants with lots of talent to contribute. We should make this easy, not hard, for the best and brightest that earn top educational degrees here in the States, or for that matter any of the top 50 universities outside the US.
What makes you believe that is not already happening? I teach a quick one-two hour course at UMD for engineering students that is an elective....UMD is a bit over 50% whites. And for a state school is very affordable. We all know top law, engineering, innovation, marketing, medical firms recruit these top ranked kids as interns.

Many of these firms then pay for your masters on their dime...its the 'how do you get in if you are not at elite U" that is the problem. Maybe it is time to begin the conversation that college has run its course, and the ideal educational system is OJT via immersion. Guidance from those with the education and wisdom of their craft/trade. For instance, if you took a HS grad under your wing in your line of work, would they fail?. I say no, unless YOU did not support and mentor them. If I were to apprentice with Seacoaster in law, or Afan in running his business, out of HS....in 4-6 years who is more marketable, educated in that career, and have the ability to contribute, etc. The marketable point, is where it breaks down, b/c we put entirely too much weight on a degree. Our entire major cooperate world is based on this incestuous, nepotistic elitism.....this inherently rules out a large percentage of those to which we want to elevate.

I believe it is not a money or funding issue....it is a process issue.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 pm

What makes you believe that is not already happening? I teach a quick one-two hour course at UMD for engineering students that is an elective....UMD is a bit over 50% whites. And for a state school is very affordable. We all know top law, engineering, innovation, marketing, medical firms recruit these top ranked kids as interns.

Many of these firms then pay for your masters on their dime...its the 'how do you get in if you are not at elite U" that is the problem. Maybe it is time to begin the conversation that college has run its course, and the ideal educational system is OJT via immersion. Guidance from those with the education and wisdom of their craft/trade. For instance, if you took a HS grad under your wing in your line of work, would they fail?. I say no, unless YOU did not support and mentor them. If I were to apprentice with Seacoaster in law, or Afan in running his business, out of HS....in 4-6 years who is more marketable, educated in that career, and have the ability to contribute, etc. The marketable point, is where it breaks down, b/c we put entirely too much weight on a degree. Our entire major cooperate world is based on this incestuous, nepotistic elitism.....this inherently rules out a large percentage of those to which we want to elevate.

I believe it is not a money or funding issue....it is a process issue.
youth, taking no issue with your own efforts at UMD.

But if you think we're actually mining our own talent pool effectively....

I agree with you that there are substantive 'process' opportunities for improvement...I'm sure we could have a very interesting discussion about a whole range of such.

But yeah, money is critical to dealing with early and high school education actually penetrating the full human capital pool. But if your point is that it's not merely money, we'd be in full agreement.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The transition and the economy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-america/

"If, in the new year, pandemic vaccines aren’t available as promised, Americans can’t return to work because economic relief isn’t delivered or an adversary successfully attacks the United States because national security agencies couldn’t pay for new defenses, a hefty share of the blame should be placed on a man you’ve probably never heard of: One Russell Thurlow Vought.

As President Trump’s budget director, he conspicuously failed in his stated goal of controlling the debt. Despite his efforts, the debt increased by $6 trillion on his two-year watch as director of the Office of Management and Budget, the biggest jump in history.

He also has been disastrous in his fiscal forecasts. On Feb. 10, he predicted 2.8 percent growth for the year, saying, “our view is that, at this point, coronavirus is not something that is going to have ripple effects.” A few weeks later, the economy collapsed.

But what Russ Vought is very good at is sabotage. He’s sabotaging national security, the pandemic response and the economic recovery — all to make things more difficult for the incoming Biden administration. That he’s also sabotaging the country seems not to matter to Vought, who has spent nearly two decades as a right-wing bomb thrower.

He has blocked civil servants at OMB from cooperating with the Biden transition, denying President-elect Joe Biden the policy analysis and budget-preparation assistance given to previous presidents-elect, including Barack Obama and Trump himself. Transition figures warn that it will likely delay and hamper economic and pandemic relief and national security preparation (the Pentagon is the other key agency resisting transition cooperation with the incoming administration).

Thursday afternoon, Vought released a bombastic letter accusing the Biden transition of making “false statements” about OMB’s uncooperativeness — and then essentially confirming that it would not cooperate: “What we have not done and will not do is use current OMB staff to write the [Biden transition’s] legislative policy proposals to dismantle this Administration’s work. . . . Redirecting staff and resources to draft your team’s budget proposals is not an OMB transition responsibility. Our system of government has one President and one Administration at a time.”

Nobody should have expected otherwise from Vought.

He was the author of a Sept. 4 memo attacking critical race theory and canceling racial sensitivity programs, which he called “divisive, anti-American propaganda.” The issue, apparently prompted by a segment Trump viewed on Fox News, became key to the final weeks of Trump’s race-baiting campaign.

Vought was also the mastermind of Trump’s executive order that attempts to reclassify tens of thousands of civil servants who work in policy roles so they can be easily fired. Vought has proposed reclassifying 88 percent of OMB staff (425 people).

He was a key figure in the Ukraine imbroglio, freezing military aid to the country as Trump pushed for Ukraine’s president to announce a probe of Joe and Hunter Biden and the Democrats. The Government Accountability Office determined the budgetary freeze violated the Impoundment Control Act. Vought also ignored a subpoena during the impeachment inquiry.

Vought’s 2017 nomination to be OMB deputy director (he later served 18 months as acting director and has served five as director) was nearly undone over a 2016 article in which he wrote: “Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, his Son, and they stand condemned.”

Vought spent seven years on the vanguard of conservative extremism as a senior official at Heritage Action, the political wing of the Heritage Foundation. The group fought GOP leadership and pushed lawmakers into unyielding positions.

During that time, Vought wrote a series of rambling posts for RedState.com arguing that “incrementalism doesn’t work for the right,” that Republicans “are fundamentally in their DNA unwilling to fight” and that Republicans needed to have “a willingness” to shut the government down. He exhorted Republicans to “embrace the sort of brinkmanship that shows they are playing to win.” He railed against a 2012 infrastructure bill as “communism.”

Before Heritage, Vought worked for the right-wing House Republican Study Committee whose job, he said, “is to push leadership as far to the right as is possible and flat out oppose it when necessary.”

He has continued to lob grenades from inside the White House. At an antiabortion rally, he claimed credit for blocking Planned Parenthood’s funding. He infuriated Democrats by refusing to share projections with Congress.

But when it comes to governing, Vought has been a loser. He ran the botched White House response to the 2019 government shutdown, issuing legally dubious decisions and, as one Republican budget expert told The Post, “making up the rules as they go along.” It became the longest-ever shutdown and ended in Trump’s surrender.

Now Vought is intentionally botching the transition, without regard for the dire consequences Americans could suffer. This is what happens when you put an arsonist in charge of the fire department."

Return to “POLITICS”