All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

COVID!!! This guy was going to die anyway!!

https://apnews.com/article/prisons-coro ... daaec5b1dd

:lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Deaths in the US in 2020 from all causes are way up:
According to preliminary weekly data from the Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC), 2,926,129 people have died from all causes between January 1 and November 28 of this year. While this data is preliminary and is incomplete for the last eight weeks, it provides for useful context.

According to the same estimates, 2,852,590 people died in 2019, meaning at least 73,000 more people have died so far in 2020 than 2019, despite missing or incomplete data for October through December. If deaths continue at the weekly average of approximately 60,000 per week, at least 240,000 more people would die in 2020, resulting in more than 3.1 million deaths. If the population grew at the same rate in 2020 as in 2019 (0.5%), this would result in a death rate of 9.4 deaths per 1,000, making it the highest death rate in decades.

For context, the most recent estimates from the Census Bureau, which are from 2017, projected that there would be 2.75 million deaths in 2020, accounting for an aging population. The Census Bureau did not expect the nation to reach 3.1 million deaths until 2029 or 2030.
https://usafacts.org/articles/prelimina ... s-age-flu/
Typical Lax Dad

CU77 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:47 pm Deaths in the US in 2020 from all causes are way up:
According to preliminary weekly data from the Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC), 2,926,129 people have died from all causes between January 1 and November 28 of this year. While this data is preliminary and is incomplete for the last eight weeks, it provides for useful context.

According to the same estimates, 2,852,590 people died in 2019, meaning at least 73,000 more people have died so far in 2020 than 2019, despite missing or incomplete data for October through December. If deaths continue at the weekly average of approximately 60,000 per week, at least 240,000 more people would die in 2020, resulting in more than 3.1 million deaths. If the population grew at the same rate in 2020 as in 2019 (0.5%), this would result in a death rate of 9.4 deaths per 1,000, making it the highest death rate in decades.

For context, the most recent estimates from the Census Bureau, which are from 2017, projected that there would be 2.75 million deaths in 2020, accounting for an aging population. The Census Bureau did not expect the nation to reach 3.1 million deaths until 2029 or 2030.
Many of those people dying from Covid were going to die from something else anyway. If over 70, those deaths should count as 3/5ths.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

We are all going to die; it’s just a matter of how and when.

So, gasping as your pulmonary system fails?

How about some state-sponsored Quietus instead, hmm?

Humans seem to have difficulty grasping their impermanence; see the affliction of religion that has bedeviled humanity for some time.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:27 pm We are all going to die; it’s just a matter of how and when.

Humans seem to have difficulty grasping their impermanence; see the affliction of religion that has bedeviled humanity for some time.
Dmac was bringing up a salient point, you don't have to make him feel stupid or belittle him by making a joke out of it. That's the worst form of disrespect.

Joe
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:04 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:27 pm We are all going to die; it’s just a matter of how and when.

Dmac was bringing up a salient point, you don't have to make him feel stupid or belittle him by making a joke out of it. That's the worst form of disrespect.

Joe
Who’s joking? I “respect” others right to be ignorant and foolish, but I have no duty to refrain from noting it.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

BREAKING NEWS

Dawn Wells passes away from COVID-19. 2020 is officially the suckiest sucky-suck year ever.
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Joe
Who’s joking? I “respect” others right to be ignorant and foolish, but I have no duty to refrain from noting it.
Hey, Pizza, GFY partner. My questions weren't ignorant or foolish and I clearly stated twice that I'm not on the hoax bandwagon. I was simply asking questions with hopes that some of the more knowledgeable folks here could enlighten me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:47 pm Deaths in the US in 2020 from all causes are way up:

Thanks for the serious answer to DMac.

Joe, I think the reason folks are responding with a certain amount of sarcasm and perhaps impatience is that, while it's a legit question that DMac asks, this ground has been trod again and again on this thread...the excess deaths are way up, confirming that the COVID stats are not substantially overstated, and may well actually be understating the impact of the disease.

And let's note, all deaths are an acceleration of the end over a later death. Whatever brought that specific ending is noted, not what would likely have caused a later death nor what risk factors contributed to the vulnerability of the earlier death along with the precipitating factor. In this matter, Covid is a new factor precipitating deaths earlier than would otherwise have occurred, though in some situations only by mere months differential...in others, likely decades early.

The annual deaths capture this. We'll have a clear perspective in a few months when all the data is in.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Joe, I think the reason folks are responding with a certain amount of sarcasm is that, while it's a legit question that DMac asks, this ground has been trod again and again on this thread...the excess deaths are way up, confirming that the COVID stats are not substantially overstated, and may well actually be understating the impact of the disease.

And let's note, all deaths are an acceleration of the end over a later death. Whatever brought that specific ending is noted, not what would likely have caused a later death nor what risk factors contributed to the vulnerability of the earlier death along with the precipitating factor. In this matter, Covid is a new factor precipitating deaths earlier than would otherwise have occurred, though in some situations only by mere months differential...in others, likely decades early.

The annual deaths capture this. We'll have a clear perspective in a few months when all the data is in.
I was defending Dmac's right to bring the point to light regardless of all of that, look at the above exchange. That is all, nothing more nothing less. Yet he still get's jumped on as if having a differing opinion proves ignorance or that you think it's a "hoax". That in itself, is a crock of s**t!

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Joe
Hey, Pizza, GFY partner. My questions weren't ignorant or foolish and I clearly stated twice that I'm not on the hoax bandwagon. I was simply asking questions with hopes that some of the more knowledgeable folks here could enlighten me.
DMac, I think you’re trying to invoke Les Grossman here so let me help you out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Odd8Zdhuj9o
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Joe, I think the reason folks are responding with a certain amount of sarcasm is that, while it's a legit question that DMac asks, this ground has been trod again and again on this thread...the excess deaths are way up, confirming that the COVID stats are not substantially overstated, and may well actually be understating the impact of the disease.

I was defending Dmac's right to bring the point to light regardless of all of that, look at the above exchange. That is all, nothing more nothing less. Yet he still get's jumped on as if having a differing opinion proves ignorance or that you think it's a "hoax". That in itself, is a crock of s**t!

Joe
I get it...as I said, the sarcasm and impatience is most likely because it's been thoroughly discussed, multiple times on this thread...

I also think there's some quite understandable resentment, and even downright anger, at the efforts by some (not DMac IMO) to 'downplay' the severity of the virus, serving up flagrant disinformation for whatever sick or greedy or partisan or ignorant purpose they may have. I say 'understandable' because I feel that anger too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, 77, that's more like what I was looking for.
Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

looks like everything's fine. hope they took their names down and told them to come back.

ticketmaster or scalpers for jimmy buffet maybe missing an opportunity.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:10 pm so was watching something late yesterday, and either a state health official or nursing home rep was saying they were hesitant to give the vaccine to residents because as they die in great numbers there, people would think that it was because of the vaccine. can't find an article on it.
then there's this:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nursing-ho ... 1608477474

72% of nursing assistants there.

and this:
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 6305b9c44e

residents, staff and caretakers/custodians.

there are a bunch of articles on the hesitation in nursing homes nationwide. one in washington said at least 2/3 of the homes have at least one active case now.
similar stories with health care workers in general. looks like people are going to be more than a bit difficult to convince to roll these vaxxes out full steam. buckle up, we may be here awhile.
Thats an interesting take. Had not thought about that angle...given the climate we are in nothing surprises me.
don't remember the last time i've been surprised during this thing.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:55 pm
looks like everything's fine. hope they took their names down and told them to come back.

ticketmaster or scalpers for jimmy buffet maybe missing an opportunity.
:lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I am still puzzled and angry. The recent uptick in Covid, especially here in UPstate NY is disturbing to all of us. The local bars and restaurants in my area will be closed and will have no new years celebrations tonight. What will happen is that all of those parties will be moved to private residences where 20/30 more people will drink and party the night away. My wife and i and our dog will celebrate this night by staying at home. I'm cooking a rack of lamb on the grill tonight and my wife and i will play Scrabble until she gives up. Defeating this virus can't be accomplished by some people doing the right thing. The people who ultimately pay the price are all of the nurses and doctors who have to once again work around the clock to the point of exhaustion to save the lives of stupid people who just don't get it. What the hell is so complicated about the concept of staying home and staying safe? :evil:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/3 ... ril-452371

if it is april and all is good, that would be a one month delay-ish on my estimated timeline in a best case for azn, not 2. they restarted trials in november, have to get 2 months safety data for the median number of trial participants after both doses. that puts application no sooner than mid- late feb, and 20 days for eua approval.

it looks like we're also thinking as i thought they believe the american public isn't going to be accepting a too-low efficacy number. to the point we may not even approve it although it meets previous acceptability standards. sigh.

to njbill... looks like britain is hitting everyone first, then promising another for azn inside 3 months. i would guess other vaxxes, too. while 90% of deaths happen in over 65, and almost none in kids under 18. who is in charge of these orgs and how does this make any sense? untested. sigh.

as far as getting more info... we have a daily breathless count on cases, and there is a daily log accruing on these vaccines. the results we see are for one window in time (one week after 2nd dose, then several weeks thereafter). and yet we don't see anything other than that first window. no wonder the virus is kicking butt.

Return to “POLITICS”