Good News

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: What is your Xmas meal?

Post by seacoaster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:01 pm Slightly different topic, but simply to engage in bit of seasonally appropriate discussion:

What are folks having for Xmas meal?

I made blueberry pancakes, sausage, bacon etc for breakfast...no kidney stew this year. Family cheered... :)

Wife is making Beef Wellington, scalloped potatoes, green beans, mother has made an apple pie and a mincemeat pie, vanilla ice cream...
Coffee, fresh OJ, and a sausage and polenta casserole for breakfast.

Reading/Nap....

Coffee....

Glass of Oban.

Seared salmon with a citrus-soy glaze for dinner. A very light Pinot noir.

Sleep.
richard

Re: Good News

Post by richard »

Texas Roadhouse in Hunt Valley had a special. Prime rib with sides and desert all prepared just put it in the oven etc. The only thing I'm making is the Yorkshire pudding. Dinner for two and way too easy. Merry Christmas!
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:39 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:01 pm Slightly different topic, but simply to engage in bit of seasonally appropriate discussion:

What are folks having for Xmas meal?

I made blueberry pancakes, sausage, bacon etc for breakfast...no kidney stew this year. Family cheered... :)

Wife is making Beef Wellington, scalloped potatoes, green beans, mother has made an apple pie and a mincemeat pie, vanilla ice cream...
Coffee, fresh OJ, and a sausage and polenta casserole for breakfast.

Reading/Nap....

Coffee....

Glass of Oban.

Seared salmon with a citrus-soy glaze for dinner. A very light Pinot noir.

Sleep.
Too funny, having a hunk of salmon too. Butter, garlic, honey, lemon, glaze...little S&P with some cajun on the salmon.
No wine...coffee and pre dinner herbs for the taste buds, terrific for flavor enhancement. :mrgreen:
Scalloped potatoes with some cheese, onion, bacon, and tomato in the there....layer of cheddar on top.
Fresh spinach and a piece of pumpernickel.
Merry Christmas to all.
Oh, and Happy Birthday to my youngest too.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Morning
Snausages, beer, cigarettes, shovel snow, heart attack, recover.

Evening
Leg of lamb studded with garlic and covered with herbs de Provence, cous cous made with ham hock stock, roasted artichokes, golden beets, asparagus, partially steamed Swiss chard that will then be sautéed in lamb juices, Arianna Occhipinti, Frappato (grape) farmed biodynamically from Sicily.

Cheeses
French soft ripen cow, Loire goat, Oregon blue, Spanish Manchego, French Mimolette aged hard cow.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:24 pm Morning
Snausages, beer, cigarettes, shovel snow, heart attack, recover.

Evening
Leg of lamb studded with garlic and covered with herbs de Provence, cous cous made with ham hock stock, roasted artichokes, golden beets, asparagus, partially steamed Swiss chard that will then be sautéed in lamb juices, Arianna Occhipinti, Frappato (grape) farmed biodynamically from Sicily.

Cheeses
French soft ripen cow, Loire goat, Oregon blue, Spanish Manchego, French Mimolette aged hard cow.
Whoa. The Family Secreta is eating well!
DMac

Post by DMac »

We're garbage feeders in comparison, sc, that ardilla boy don't screw around. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:58 pm We're garbage feeders in comparison, sc, that ardilla boy don't screw around. ;)
He needs to book a trip to Lyon, France post Covid!!
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:03 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:58 pm We're garbage feeders in comparison, sc, that ardilla boy don't screw around. ;)
And what’s the classic dish to order in Lyon?
Typical Lax Dad

richard wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:44 pm Texas Roadhouse in Hunt Valley had a special. Prime rib with sides and desert all prepared just put it in the oven etc. The only thing I'm making is the Yorkshire pudding. Dinner for two and way too easy. Merry Christmas!
:lol:
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:28 pm
You asked to soon. My friend prepared it for me and my son. A prawn or crayfish based dish. I can’t remember the name now!

EDIT: Quenelle
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

As for the salmon, this one's just for you, TLD.
Was just too irresistible. No, didn't eat it all, broke it down into thirds.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:12 am As for the salmon, this one's just for you, TLD.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Enjoy it man! At least it doesn’t say “clearance”! I hope you bought it on the 22nd! You do know the original purpose of gravy?
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 pm
You asked to soon. My friend prepared it for me and my son. A prawn or crayfish based dish. I can’t remember the name now!

Quenelles de brochet au sauce Nantua.
Quenelles are football shaped, not sized forcemeat made of pike. They are light and delicate in texture. Sauce Nantua (named for village northeast of Lyon) is made from crayfish.

Quenelles de brochet are ubiquitous in Lyon which is the culinary epicenter of France. There are restaurants and specialty shops all over where this is available. It’s quite good and often served with a Cru Beaujolais wine which is about an hour north.

What is Cru Beaujolais? There are 10 villages in the Beaujolais wine region of southern Burgundy that make up the highest quality category. They are located on the hillsides as opposed to the more common Beaujolais and Beaujolais Villages in the valley. The grape here is Gamay. These 10 villages from the better producers make some of the best wines in the world. Outstanding food companions.

The 10 Villages - the two best importers to look for are Louis-Dressner and Kermit Lynch.
Brouilly, Cote de Brouilly, Chenas, Chiroubles, Fleurie, Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin au Vent, Régnié, St-Amour.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Alright, Mr. secreta, how is it that one has a "trained palate" and is such a connoisseur/aficionado of foods and how to prepare them? Impressive to say the least?
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:26 am

Quenelles are football shaped, not sized forcemeat made of pike. They are light and delicate in texture. Sauce Nantua (named for village northeast of Lyon) is made from crayfish.

Quenelles de brochet are ubiquitous in Lyon which is the culinary epicenter of France. There are restaurants and specialty shops all over where this is available. It’s quite good and often served with a Cru Beaujolais wine which is about an hour north.

What is Cru Beaujolais? There are 10 villages in the Beaujolais wine region of southern Burgundy that make up the highest quality category. They are located on the hillsides as opposed to the more common Beaujolais and Beaujolais Villages in the valley. The grape here is Gamay. These 10 villages from the better producers make some of the best wines in the world. Outstanding food companions.

The 10 Villages - the two best importers to look for are Louis-Dressner and Kermit Lynch.
Brouilly, Cote de Brouilly, Chenas, Chiroubles, Fleurie, Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin au Vent, Régnié, St-Amour.
Man I can’t wait to go back... Maybe next year but I am definitely going back! We had a great time. A bit of father and son trip as my wife headed back home for classes and my son and I had more time. My daughter was doing a semester in London. Can’t believe how things changed in 1 year.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:12 am As for the salmon, this one's just for you, TLD.
https://i.imgur.com/Lc0ecbK.jpg?1

Yum. Reminds me of the Scotch lox I used to get at Zabar's and Balducci's back in the day.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

roast pork & scalloped potatoes
pumpkin pie for dessert
washed down with mango-apple-banana juice

:D :D :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:26 am

If ever we can travel again.... Thanks.

I read Lynch’s book Adventures of the Wine Route years ago. Sounds like a nice drive in the countryside.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

My wife just made a wonderful batch of French Onion soup. One of my favorite foods on the planet. She made some home made croutons and we have sharp provolone to melt over the top in thick layers. It comes out of the oven a tad bit hotter than the sun. A meal all in itself. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Speaking of salmon, we also had gravlax as an appetizer with a sweet mustard sauce on dark bread.

Salad before the Beef Wellington was a beet mix on tender lettuce, with pomegranate.

Return to “POLITICS”