Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by FMUBart »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:11 am
bauer4429 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:43 am I don’t think colleges will want the liability, especially after the recent collapse of Keyontae Johnson during a Florida Gator basketball game. Sounds like he had Covid and recovered, but there seem to be questions as to whether this was related. This incident will no doubt impact many colleges’ decision. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
bauer4429,

You are just speculating here :roll: :roll: :roll: , there hasn't been one credible report that has determined whether the cause of his collapse is CV-19 related. Making assumptions is a dangerous road to go down. In fact his own Grandfather, who technically is his "guardian" isn't even sure he had "COVID". These incidences unfortunately happen EVERY year WITHOUT CV-19. Let's not go down this road. If what you are saying is true, College Basketball and College Football would have shut down the next day... These decisions regarding Lacrosse in the spring will certainly involve liability, but it will come down to $$ for the smaller programs. Lacrosse is going to played in the spring, it's just a matter of if EVERY program partakes or not, which we know will not be the case.

Joe
Hobart's Coach Raymond said they will, at least, play a conference schedule; up in the air about OOC games due to different testing requirements within conferences. Season will probably start later, but Covid should start coming under control as the vaccine continues to roll out. Otherwise, I'm with Joe, talking about a random incident in FLA is cherry-picking at best...
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 am
bauer4429 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:43 am I don’t think colleges will want the liability, especially after the recent collapse of Keyontae Johnson during a Florida Gator basketball game. Sounds like he had Covid and recovered, but there seem to be questions as to whether this was related. This incident will no doubt impact many colleges’ decision. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
bauer4429,

You are just speculating here :roll: :roll: :roll: , there hasn't been one credible report that has determined whether the cause of his collapse is CV-19 related. Making assumptions is a dangerous road to go down. In fact his own Grandfather, who technically is his "guardian" isn't even sure he had "COVID". These incidences unfortunately happen EVERY year WITHOUT CV-19. Let's not go down this road. If what you are saying is true, College Basketball and College Football would have shut down the next day... These decisions regarding Lacrosse in the spring will certainly involve liability, but it will come down to $$ for the smaller programs. Lacrosse is going to played in the spring, it's just a matter of if EVERY program partakes or not, which we know will not be the case.

Joe
Hobart's Coach Raymond said they will, at least, play a conference schedule; up in the air about OOC games due to different testing requirements within conferences. Season will probably start later, but Covid should start coming under control as the vaccine continues to roll out. Otherwise, I'm with Joe, talking about a random incident in FLA is cherry-picking at best...
I love this, and hope we get some games in. And, my oh my, how the rpi, will be such a factor in 2021 :lol: ACC isn't even a real league, can they even qualify for N$aa bids? ;)
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hope he is right, but you and I have as much say as he does in whether or not this happens.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ProudPapa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:39 am
[/quote]

I hope he is right, but you and I have as much say as he does in whether or not this happens.
[/quote]

If conference only is all we get, I could live with it. Small conferences could go home and away.
“I wish you would!”
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

My 2 cents on whether lax is played or not this year.
The decision for a school to participate in sports - any sport - comes down to the question of whether that sport will increase the overall bottom line. Some sports (football, basketball) generate revenue in the obvious sense. While most other spots lose money in execution they do two things. One, they directly increase the pool of students who will soon be alumni / donators. Two, they provide an atmosphere that draws non student athletes to the campus, who will then also soon be alumni / donators.
A school’s decision to play lax this year will come down to the following: is there an economic advantage to playing (do we need to maintain the reputation as a school devoted to athletics in order to fill seats to contribute to the schools income as both students and alumni), and does this economic advantage offset the risk / liability of someone / multiple people catching COVID and suffering severe / deadly results (I’m not commenting on the likelihood of this happening - I’m not a doctor - only on what the institutions are having to factor).
Many schools need sports as a path for drawing students, and they’ll see the risks as acceptable. Other schools don’t rely on sports as a draw, and they won’t see the risks as acceptable. Take the Ivys for example. Whether or not sports are played, there will always be thousands and thousands of people wanting to attend, pay big $$$ for the education, and turn into alumni / donators who will continue to contribute big $$$. Sports are great, part of the culture, and provide a number of positives. But at the end of the day, the economic bottom line won’t move if sports - or other extracurricular activity - are modified or eliminated, particularly in the short term.
There will be lax this year, because a great number of schools fall into the category of needing sports as a draw to survive. But won’t surprise me at all if a number of the high-demand academic institutions forgo the season.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

PicLax wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 pm My 2 cents on whether lax is played or not this year.
The decision for a school to participate in sports - any sport - comes down to the question of whether that sport will increase the overall bottom line. Some sports (football, basketball) generate revenue in the obvious sense. While most other spots lose money in execution they do two things. One, they directly increase the pool of students who will soon be alumni / donators. Two, they provide an atmosphere that draws non student athletes to the campus, who will then also soon be alumni / donators.
A school’s decision to play lax this year will come down to the following: is there an economic advantage to playing (do we need to maintain the reputation as a school devoted to athletics in order to fill seats to contribute to the schools income as both students and alumni), and does this economic advantage offset the risk / liability of someone / multiple people catching COVID and suffering severe / deadly results (I’m not commenting on the likelihood of this happening - I’m not a doctor - only on what the institutions are having to factor).
Many schools need sports as a path for drawing students, and they’ll see the risks as acceptable. Other schools don’t rely on sports as a draw, and they won’t see the risks as acceptable. Take the Ivys for example. Whether or not sports are played, there will always be thousands and thousands of people wanting to attend, pay big $$$ for the education, and turn into alumni / donators who will continue to contribute big $$$. Sports are great, part of the culture, and provide a number of positives. But at the end of the day, the economic bottom line won’t move if sports - or other extracurricular activity - are modified or eliminated, particularly in the short term.
There will be lax this year, because a great number of schools fall into the category of needing sports as a draw to survive. But won’t surprise me at all if a number of the high-demand academic institutions forgo the season.
Perhaps, realistically, as a demographic, but don't the actual players have a voice? Is there no overall rally cry from the 20 year olds of the nation to just get your shitte together?

Besides a few Iowa wrestling fans, and the Duke hoop nerds, maybe the student body is more similar to what Hopkins fans cry about. they don't care that no games are on.

What sport did Jeff Bezo's play? I blame all you jock bullies for this mess.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:28 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 am
bauer4429,

Joe
I love this, and hope we get some games in. And, my oh my, how the rpi, will be such a factor in 2021 :lol: ACC isn't even a real league, can they even qualify for N$aa bids? ;)
No worries! The ACC will play each other 4x during regular season and have a conference tourney. That way, even the 5th place team can be 0-12 but have a high, tourney eligible rpi, due to "quality losses" :lol: Oh, and the NCAA will waive the .500 or better W/L percentage due to Covid!

"what sport did Jeff Bezos play...I blame all you jock bullies for this mess." Spit out my mocha latte' laughing. Now I have to take my argyle to the cleaners..
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The ACC will get mutiple (eg all) teams into post season play for the same reasons Ohio State was declared eligible for the BG10 Title game :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

HooDat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:46 pm The ACC will get mutiple (eg all) teams into post season play for the same reasons Ohio State was declared eligible for the BG10 Title game :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
+1
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

HooDat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:46 pm The ACC will get mutiple (eg all) teams into post season play for the same reasons Ohio State was declared eligible for the BG10 Title game :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
It IS as if all the local area lax involved, lets face it, mostly white males, won't want to luxeriate in a box/suite, showing off how important they are in the lacrosse world, if not the DOver-Sherborn, Greenwich's of the world. big fish in a big n$aa lacrosse Final four. Silliness. The local, landed gentry care NOT as to whom is playing at Pan Am / Jimmy the Greek stadium on Memorial day. What is important is you get to show off how much you know the New Balance guy, or, yeah, look, yeah, "danowski" is recruiting my kid....all day long, baby.

Besides a handful of guys, 99.9 percent of the crowd in Hartford (this year????) could care less if Virginia or Villanova are playing. Sorry, it's true. And, if the n$aa is worried about selling a Monmouth- VMI final.....well, they couldn't market themselves out of wet toilet paper, than, can they. It would be like struggling to come up with a screen play about that Hickory, Ohio, High school basketball story, coach a former drunk, N$aa champion to boot. Nope, sayz the nsaa, no story there. move along. We want to see, again, Hopkins lose by a record amount in the first round. sorry. told to do it.

yeah, the JimmyV, NC State championship run is boring, compared to a Kentucky championship of today. Wonder if any of the Volunteers of Kentucky even know each others names, today, seeing as they played such a short time together. Can't imagine them getting together, 40 years later, like the Trojans of NC state basketball championship lore did.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

is that YOU Fatty? ;)

and who said anything about Hop? ... they went and joined a football conference, got cow manure all over their cleats - the upper crusties no longer recognize the Bluejay claim to the throne. :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

HooDat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:39 pm is that YOU Fatty? ;)

and who said anything about Hop? ... they went and joined a football conference, got cow manure all over their cleats - the upper crusties no longer recognize the Bluejay claim to the throne. :lol:
Two Championships, during the past 30 years. :o With all that invite help too, most recently mostly unwarranted. Strawman throne, fer sur :D
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

He does sound like fatty...... On a personal note, I got my shot Saturday and am ready for a spring season if anyone wants to bring in a very post-grad transfer.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Notre Dame inclusion in CFP will be heavily questioned if they dont give Alabama a fight as Florida did.

Gonna have a different lax season especially if decided to have conference play only. What happens if some teams in conferences decide to forgo season while others dont ? Can conferences call off seasons for members who wish to play?

Most of the stronger teams got even stronger this offseason with transfers, returnees and recruits. ACC does have five of the top ten teams but they'd be cannibalizing each other every week if it's conference play only. Most B10 teams also strengthened so be same game of attrition if conf. only some peking order. Appears Cornell will carry IVY banner if they play. Denver is top team, will they travel cross country each week if no one willing to travel west ?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:11 pm
Notre Dame inclusion in CFP will be heavily questioned if they dont give Alabama a fight as Florida did.
heavily questioned by whom? florida? they've got 3 losses.
molo

Post by molo »

Bama—ND should be about the same as the last time they met for the NC. This might have been the year to include an undefeated team from a “lesser” conference. Should be another NC for Saban.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Excerpt from Siena Coach Liam Gleason's holiday email re: a 2021 season:

"I hope this email finds you well and that you and your family are healthy. We have been waiting to hear some news on our spring schedule since the end of the semester. Unfortunately, there has not been a definitive answer from the MAAC conference yet. To at least give you some news, I can tell you which way the conference is currently leaning. It looks like we will have a conference only schedule in the spring. There is a proposal of having a 3 game preliminary schedule against 3 MAAC teams before starting our normal 7 game conference schedule, which would be followed by a 4 team playoff to decide the 2021 MAAC Champion. If this proposed schedule passes, we can expect a return date of early February. The latest communication from the MAAC conference stated that there will be a meeting on January 6th to confirm spring schedules. We hope to know our return date soon after."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm going to move a bunch of these posts to the Politics - Corona thread. Let's try to keep this thread lacrosse-based.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:30 pm
But were they good losses?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:07 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:30 pm
But were they good losses?
Not the LSU one, basically living and dying on one win (a blowout more or less) Against UGA
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”