JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ABV 8.3%

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am
ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:00 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:35 am
ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:17 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:00 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:33 pm obama and drone strikes. https://twitter.com/Ibrahimpols/status/ ... 6054479872
Thanks for posting that. It’s amazing listening to someone sane compared to what we have heard over the past 4 years. There are no easy answers.
Please, all this killing machine industry lover did was hand out combat ribbons to the drone pilots. What IS the name of the private drone company based in California.........only difference between Obama and tRump is Barrack will give you a reach around, every once in a while. To make you feel loved. both are porking you in the you know what..

Stephen Corbett makes me sick......and his puppy dog look, feeling oh so bad that Obama had to struggle with the decision to KILL innocent people, or poor, poor, killing choices......

You don't even realize how pathetic it is. You , being the pretend liberals, like Stephen C.
Something trigger you? Put the bowl down.
maybe you should pick it up? Did you watch the video? Is stephen C. not adoring him, with those sad puppy dog eyes of understanding and compassion.

"You killed people with deep thought, and anguish. Trump is such a cad, and said F em. No class. you, sir, Obama, killed with class. "

maybe if my folks were in power, we wouldn't be counting cards.......just saying. You wave your pom pomms to the killing industry machine like a good pretend liberal.
Engine, engine number 9......

This

https://twitter.com/Ibrahimpols/status/ ... 6054479872

Or That

Which is more coherent? You can’t help yourself......🥲
You gave us Hillaryous Clinton............millions of Americans said, laughing......no, we give you THIS guy........ :lol: :lol:

and the infotainment industry still doesn't get it, blames 100 or so nutbags or mythical groups like Qunon.

Oh, an edit/add on.....I love this "interview" What YOU don't understand is, I am doing what he is doing. And it ain't Trump. You only care that it IS happening to tRump. If Mr Swane "fact checked" your hero Andrew Yang like that, you would blow a gasket. Or AL sharpton, you support so many other class acts.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:20 am
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:33 pm obama and drone strikes. https://twitter.com/Ibrahimpols/status/ ... 6054479872
Thanks for posting that. It’s amazing listening to someone sane compared to what we have heard over the past 4 years. There are no easy answers.
Please, all this killing machine industry lover did was hand out combat ribbons to the drone pilots. What IS the name of the private drone company based in California.........only difference between Obama and tRump is Barrack will give you a reach around, every once in a while. To make you feel loved. both are porking you in the you know what..

Stephen Corbett makes me sick......and his puppy dog look, feeling oh so bad that Obama had to struggle with the decision to KILL innocent people, or poor, poor, killing choices......

You don't even realize how pathetic it is. You , being the pretend liberals, like Stephen C.
maybe you should pick it up? Did you watch the video? Is stephen C. not adoring him, with those sad puppy dog eyes of understanding and compassion.

"You killed people with deep thought, and anguish. Trump is such a cad, and said F em. No class. you, sir, Obama, killed with class. "

maybe if my folks were in power, we wouldn't be counting cards.......just saying. You wave your pom pomms to the killing industry machine like a good pretend liberal.

This

Or That

You gave us Hillaryous Clinton............millions of Americans said, laughing......no, we give you THIS guy........ :lol: :lol:

and the infotainment industry still doesn't get it, blames 100 or so nutbags or mythical groups like Qunon.

Oh, an edit/add on.....I love this "interview" What YOU don't understand is, I am doing what he is doing. And it ain't Trump. You only care that it IS happening to tRump. If Mr Swane "fact checked" your hero Andrew Yang like that, you would blow a gasket. Or AL sharpton, you support so many other class acts.
I have no idea what that has to do with a person’s speech pattern being coherent versus incoherent.... how that rabble rousing community organizing woman from Boston that had you all worked up, make out? She is just as incoherent as your boy Trump. PreTeNd.....ABV 8.3 and Donald Trump sitting in a tree.....That is how bad you are....despite your protests....
“I wish you would!”
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:33 am

This

Or That

I have no idea what that has to do with a person’s speech pattern being coherent versus incoherent.... how that rabble rousing community organizing woman from Boston that had you all worked up, make out? She is just as incoherent as your boy Trump. PreTeNd.....ABV 8.3 and Donald Trump sitting in a tree.....That is how bad you are....despite your protests....
Yes, I love Don Trump , absolutely. You are right. Even loved his football team. Have game jerseys in my ManCave with Don's autograff.

meanwhile, if you are comparing interviews, was Obama stammered over with constant interruptions? nope. Just an observation. He, after all, did make American great, again. Talking about Barrack. Without him, and his administration, I wouldn't have killed it with all the Macintosh shares. Ignored the google ties tho, which was very, very foolish. I did buy fuel at the google pumping station for the Lear, tho. way cheaper aviation fuel over there. e$$ential, eh Barrack. What, no ties to google :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:46 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:33 am

This

Or That

Yes, I love Don Trump , absolutely. You are right. Even loved his football team. Have game jerseys in my ManCave with Don's autograff.

meanwhile, if you are comparing interviews, was Obama stammered over with constant interruptions? nope. Just an observation. He, after all, did make American great, again. Talking about Barrack. Without him, and his administration, I wouldn't have killed it with all the Macintosh shares. Ignored the google ties tho, which was very, very foolish. I did buy fuel at the google pumping station for the Lear, tho. way cheaper aviation fuel over there. e$$ential, eh Barrack. What, no ties to google :lol:
Which person was more coherent? Even after a hit Barry was more coherent!

“I wish you would!”
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

HUH?

You are like a tRump charter school, for profit, that rants and raves about all the test score increases, when they had no where to go but up.

The fact that Obama has a pleasant voice and cadence is "news" :?: :?:

I learned of his hateful background (TUCC & NOI ) researching him after his 2004 DNC speech here in Boston. Found out about the Jack Ryan thing too. And what a wimp Ryan was for bailing out. Read his book, dedicated, of course, to Rev. Wright. Obama also wasn't for same sex marriage, prior to running for POTUSA.

only difference between Obama and this guy? One had a Muslims terrorists bringing them to PaKISTAN, for spring break, of course. Wrote all his law school briefs too, that's why you can't find any of them. ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJFFipgtWik
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:59 am HUH?

You are like a tRump charter school, for profit, that rants and raves about all the test score increases, when they had no where to go but up.

The fact that Obama has a pleasant voice and cadence is "news" :?: :?:

I learned of his hateful background (TUCC & NOI ) researching him after his 2004 DNC speech here in Boston. Found out about the Jack Ryan thing too. And what a wimp Ryan was for bailing out. Read his book, dedicated, of course, to Rev. Wright. Obama also wasn't for same sex marriage, prior to running for POTUSA.

only difference between Obama and this guy? One had a Muslims terrorists bringing them to PaKISTAN, for spring break, of course. Wrote all his law school briefs too, that's why you can't find any of them. ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJFFipgtWik
You are the guy that was triggered by some old comment. When was that comment made? You scrolling through my posts? PreTeNd.....it was an innocuous comment....you got bent.

EDIT:

“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

We still have an administration that is, you know, doing stuff, right?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/1 ... ess-447855

"The Energy Department and National Nuclear Security Administration, which maintains the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile, have evidence that hackers accessed their networks as part of an extensive espionage operation that has affected at least half a dozen federal agencies, officials directly familiar with the matter said.

On Thursday, DOE and NNSA officials began coordinating notifications about the breach to their congressional oversight bodies after being briefed by Rocky Campione, the chief information officer at DOE.

They found suspicious activity in networks belonging to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Sandia and Los Alamos national laboratories in New Mexico and Washington, the Office of Secure Transportation and the Richland Field Office of the DOE. The hackers have been able to do more damage at FERC than the other agencies, the officials said, but did not elaborate.

Federal investigators have been combing through networks in recent days to determine what hackers had been able to access and/or steal, and officials at DOE still don’t know whether the attackers were able to access anything, the people said, noting that the investigation is ongoing and they may not know the full extent of the damage “for weeks.”

Spokespeople for DOE did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The attack on DOE is the clearest sign yet that the hackers were able to access the networks belonging to a core part of the U.S. national security enterprise. The hackers are believed to have gained access to the federal agencies’ networks by compromising the software company SolarWinds, which sells IT management products to hundreds of government and private-sector clients.

DOE officials were planning on Thursday to notify the House and Senate Energy committees, House and Senate Energy and Water Development subcommittees, House and Senate Armed Services committees, and the New Mexico and Washington State delegations of the breach, the officials said.

The FBI, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, and Office of the Director of National Intelligence acknowledged the “ongoing” cybersecurity campaign in a joint statement released on Wednesday, saying that they had only become aware of the incident in recent days.

“This is a developing situation, and while we continue to work to understand the full extent of this campaign, we know this compromise has affected networks within the federal government,” the statement read.

NNSA is responsible for managing the nation's nuclear weapons, and while it gets the least attention, it takes up the vast majority of DOE's budget. Similarly, the Sandia and Los Alamos National Labs conduct atomic research related to both civil nuclear power and nuclear weapons. The Office of Secure Transportation is tasked with moving enriched uranium and other materials critical for maintaining the nuclear stockpile.

Hackers may have been casting too wide a net when they targeted DOE's Richland Field Office, whose primary responsibility is overseeing the cleanup of the Hanford nuclear waste site in Washington state. During World War II and the Cold War, the U.S. produced two- thirds of its plutonium there, but the site hasn't been active since 1971.

The attack on the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission may have been an effort to disrupt the nation's bulk electric grid. FERC doesn't directly manage any power flows, but it does store sensitive data on the grid that could be used to identify the most disruptive locations for future attacks
."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Defense One reported this today in their Daily Brief about Afghanistan :
America's top military officer just met with the Taliban for the second time. For two and a half hours on Tuesday, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley met with Taliban negotiators in Doha, Qatar, amid an ongoing U.S. troop drawdown from Afghanistan and rising violence in the southern parts of the country, Defense One's Katie Bo Williams reports traveling with Milley. "It was Milley's second unannounced meeting with the Taliban's negotiating team; the first, in June, also in Doha, had not been reported until now," the Associated Press's Bob Burns reports, also traveling with Milley.

Milley also met Wednesday with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in Kabul, as part of a four-day swing through the region that comes just weeks before a new administration takes office.

Big picture: The trip resulted in "no breakthrough," AP writes, but Milley's "Taliban meetings represent a remarkable milestone" all the same.

So what'd they talk about? "The most important part of the discussions I had with both the Taliban and the government of Afghanistan was the need for a reduction in violence," Milley told reporters. "Everything else hinges on that."

The U.S. wants to secure a nationwide ceasefire hopefully in the next 40 days, Williams reports; and that would put it right around President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration in Washington.

Afghan officials also really want a ceasefire, Abdullah Abdullah, chairman of the High Council for National Reconciliation, said today. More from Tolo News, here. Pakistan's prime minister says he wants to help make that ceasefire a reality, too.

For the record, there are about 4,000 U.S. troops currently in Afghanistan, and President Donald Trump still wants that number to go down to 2,500 by January 20.

And like the Iraq withdrawal seven years ago, the U.S. plans to destroy some of its equipment and infrastructure brought to Afghanistan. An unspecified quantity will be transferred to the Afghans; but for what will remain, "It's more efficient and cost-effective to just destroy it," Milley told reporters.

What's next for Afghanistan, provided there are no big surprises ahead? "A complete drawdown of U.S. forces by May 2021 if the Taliban meets certain conditions, including reducing the violence and renouncing al Qaeda, which it has not yet done," Williams reports. And the Taliban have threatened to resume attacks on U.S. and coalition forces if Biden doesn't stick to that May timeline. However, "The [current] level of violence makes it extremely difficult for any Afghan leaders to go very far down the road in these peace talks," said Amb. Ross Wilson, the U.S. chargé d'affairs in Afghanistan.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 am
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:32 am France's new aircraft carrier (in 2038). Tres chic !

https://news.usni.org/2020/12/08/presid ... er-program

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... t-carrier/
2038??? It sure looks like they are not in a hurry to build it. The construction must be a union job if it is going to take 18 years to build it? :lol:
More than a light carrier ... but not quite a true super carrier.

Typical middling French endeavor.

DocBarrister ;)
Question: Why are there so many tree lined streets in Paris?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 am
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:32 am France's new aircraft carrier (in 2038). Tres chic !

https://news.usni.org/2020/12/08/presid ... er-program

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... t-carrier/
2038??? It sure looks like they are not in a hurry to build it. The construction must be a union job if it is going to take 18 years to build it? :lol:
More than a light carrier ... but not quite a true super carrier.

Typical middling French endeavor.

DocBarrister ;)
Question: Why are there so many tree lined streets in Paris?
Answer: Because Germans like to march in the shade.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Heather Cox Richardson
5rtSp dhonsorrregrsdlr ·
December 17, 2020 (Thursday)
Four days ago, on December 13, Reuters broke the story that computer hackers had breached U.S. government agencies, including the Treasury Department and the Commerce Department. It was serious enough that the National Security Council had been called into an emergency meeting on Saturday. While no nation has yet been charged with this attack, officials agree that it looks like a Russian operation.
On Monday, the story got worse. Also hit were the Department of Homeland Security, the State Department, and the National Institutes of Health. Officials at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) in the Department of Homeland Security told all federal agencies to disconnect the products containing the malware that had been used to breach the firewalls. Those products had been installed as far back as March, meaning that the attackers had been able to observe crucial aspects of our government from the inside for as much as nine months. Government officials found out about the breach only after a private cybersecurity firm, FireEye, realized it had been hacked and alerted the FBI. Hackers planted the malware they used to get into the systems on a patch issued by the software company, SolarWinds, which produces widely used management software.
The story is getting worse still.
Today CISA said that the hackers used many different tools to get into government systems, taking them into critical infrastructure, which could include the electrical grid, telecommunications companies, defense contractors, and so on. Officials said that the hacks were “a grave risk to the federal government.”
Later in the day, it came out that the Energy Department and the National Nuclear Security Administration, which oversees our nuclear weapons, was also hit, although a Department of Energy spokesperson said that there is no evidence that the hackers breached critical defense systems, including the NNSA.
Microsoft’s president, Brad Smith, today said the company had identified 40 different companies, government agencies, and think tanks the hackers infiltrated, and that those forty were just the tip of the iceberg. Smith said that more companies had been hit than government agencies, “with a big focus on I.T. companies, especially in the security industry.”
The Associated Press quoted a U.S. official as saying: “This is looking like it’s the worst hacking case in the history of America. They got into everything.” Tom Kellermann, the cybersecurity strategy chief of the software company VMware, told Ben Fox of the Associated Press that the hackers could now see everything in the federal agencies they’ve hacked, and that, now that they have been found out, “there is viable concern that they might leverage destructive attacks within these agencies.”
It is not clear yet how far the hackers have penetrated, and we will likely not know for months. But given the fact they have had access to our systems since March and have almost certainly been planting new ways into them (known as “back doors”), all assumptions are that this is serious indeed.
Initially, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo downplayed the attack, saying that such attacks are common and that China, not Russia, is the biggest offender. Trump has said nothing about the attacks, and administration officials say that they are simply planning to hand the crisis off to Biden.
But this attack does not come out of the blue for the Trump administration. There was discussion of strengthening our security systems against attackers after the 2016 election, and on July 9, 2017, Trump suggested we would partner with Russia to address the issue. “Putin & I discussed forming an impenetrable Cyber Security unit so that election hacking, & many other negative things, will be guarded,” he tweeted.
Congress instead created the CISA within the Department of Homeland Security in 2018 to protect against precisely the sort of attack which has just occurred, shortly after Russia hacked our electrical grid, including “multiple organizations in the energy, nuclear, water, aviation, construction, and critical manufacturing sectors,” according to the FBI and Department of Homeland Security report.
In response to the Russian attack, the U.S. hit Russia’s electrical grid in June 2019.
Since then, administration officials have deliberately forced out of CISA key cybersecurity officials. The destruction was so widespread, according to Dr. Josephine Wolff, a professor of cybersecurity policy at Tufts University’s Fletcher School who holds her PhD from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), “they signify the systematic decimation of the personnel most directly responsible for protecting critical infrastructure, shielding our elections from interference and guarding the White House’s data, devices and networks.”
Almost exactly a year ago, on December 19, 2019, Wolff warned in the New York Times that “As we head into 2020, worrying about the integrity of our elections, the growing scourge of ransomware and the increasingly sophisticated forms of cyberespionage and cybersabotage being developed by our adversaries, it’s disconcerting to feel that many of our government’s best cybersecurity minds are walking out the front door and leaving behind too few people to monitor what’s coming in our back doors.”
Just a month ago, Trump continued this process, firing Christopher Krebs, the former director of CISA, on November 18, saying he was doing so because Krebs defended the 2020 election as “the most secure in American history.” Krebs said that there “is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.”
And now, here we are. Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) said to SiriusXM about the hack: "Our national security is extraordinarily vulnerable. And, in this setting, to not have the White House aggressively speaking out and protesting and taking punitive action is really, really quite extraordinary."
The timing of the exposure of this hack might be coincidence, but it is curiously well timed. It illustrates to the world that Russia now holds power over the U.S. while the perpetrators can assume, after four years of Trump’s refusal to stand up to Putin, that they will not have to face immediate retaliation for the attack as they would have to if it were revealed just a month later.
President-elect Biden was briefed on the attack today. He warned that his administration would impose “substantial costs on those responsible for such malicious attacks, including in coordination with our allies and partners.” “A good defense isn’t enough; we need to disrupt and deter our adversaries from undertaking significant cyberattacks in the first place,” Biden said. “I will not stand idly by in the face of cyberassaults on our nation.”
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:13 pm Defense One reported this today in their Daily Brief about Afghanistan :
No comment on the massive Russian hack, o.s.?

Maybe Orange Duce gave Putin the intel to break in to our systems during one of their private tete-a-tetes. Whispered sweet passcodes into his ear.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU77 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:13 pm Defense One reported this today in their Daily Brief about Afghanistan :

Maybe Orange Duce gave Putin the intel to break in to our systems during one of their private tete-a-tetes. Whispered sweet passcodes into his ear.
The Russians were able to pull this off while all of FLP America was chitting their pants about the Rooskies fixing our election. What is the name of that con game again... bait and switch. You get the mark looking in one direction while you pull the wool over their eyes. I wonder if The Queen of Evil will loan Biden her reset button? :lol: :lol: :lol:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 am Heather Cox Richardson
5rtSp dhonsorrregrsdlr ·
December 17, 2020 (Thursday)
Four days ago, on December 13, Reuters broke the story that computer hackers had breached U.S. government agencies, including the Treasury Department and the Commerce Department. It was serious enough that the National Security Council had been called into an emergency meeting on Saturday. While no nation has yet been charged with this attack, officials agree that it looks like a Russian operation.
On Monday, the story got worse. Also hit were the Department of Homeland Security, the State Department, and the National Institutes of Health. Officials at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) in the Department of Homeland Security told all federal agencies to disconnect the products containing the malware that had been used to breach the firewalls. Those products had been installed as far back as March, meaning that the attackers had been able to observe crucial aspects of our government from the inside for as much as nine months. Government officials found out about the breach only after a private cybersecurity firm, FireEye, realized it had been hacked and alerted the FBI. Hackers planted the malware they used to get into the systems on a patch issued by the software company, SolarWinds, which produces widely used management software.
The story is getting worse still.
Today CISA said that the hackers used many different tools to get into government systems, taking them into critical infrastructure, which could include the electrical grid, telecommunications companies, defense contractors, and so on. Officials said that the hacks were “a grave risk to the federal government.”
Later in the day, it came out that the Energy Department and the National Nuclear Security Administration, which oversees our nuclear weapons, was also hit, although a Department of Energy spokesperson said that there is no evidence that the hackers breached critical defense systems, including the NNSA.
Microsoft’s president, Brad Smith, today said the company had identified 40 different companies, government agencies, and think tanks the hackers infiltrated, and that those forty were just the tip of the iceberg. Smith said that more companies had been hit than government agencies, “with a big focus on I.T. companies, especially in the security industry.”
The Associated Press quoted a U.S. official as saying: “This is looking like it’s the worst hacking case in the history of America. They got into everything.” Tom Kellermann, the cybersecurity strategy chief of the software company VMware, told Ben Fox of the Associated Press that the hackers could now see everything in the federal agencies they’ve hacked, and that, now that they have been found out, “there is viable concern that they might leverage destructive attacks within these agencies.”
It is not clear yet how far the hackers have penetrated, and we will likely not know for months. But given the fact they have had access to our systems since March and have almost certainly been planting new ways into them (known as “back doors”), all assumptions are that this is serious indeed.
Initially, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo downplayed the attack, saying that such attacks are common and that China, not Russia, is the biggest offender. Trump has said nothing about the attacks, and administration officials say that they are simply planning to hand the crisis off to Biden.
But this attack does not come out of the blue for the Trump administration. There was discussion of strengthening our security systems against attackers after the 2016 election, and on July 9, 2017, Trump suggested we would partner with Russia to address the issue. “Putin & I discussed forming an impenetrable Cyber Security unit so that election hacking, & many other negative things, will be guarded,” he tweeted.
Congress instead created the CISA within the Department of Homeland Security in 2018 to protect against precisely the sort of attack which has just occurred, shortly after Russia hacked our electrical grid, including “multiple organizations in the energy, nuclear, water, aviation, construction, and critical manufacturing sectors,” according to the FBI and Department of Homeland Security report.
In response to the Russian attack, the U.S. hit Russia’s electrical grid in June 2019.
Since then, administration officials have deliberately forced out of CISA key cybersecurity officials. The destruction was so widespread, according to Dr. Josephine Wolff, a professor of cybersecurity policy at Tufts University’s Fletcher School who holds her PhD from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), “they signify the systematic decimation of the personnel most directly responsible for protecting critical infrastructure, shielding our elections from interference and guarding the White House’s data, devices and networks.”
Almost exactly a year ago, on December 19, 2019, Wolff warned in the New York Times that “As we head into 2020, worrying about the integrity of our elections, the growing scourge of ransomware and the increasingly sophisticated forms of cyberespionage and cybersabotage being developed by our adversaries, it’s disconcerting to feel that many of our government’s best cybersecurity minds are walking out the front door and leaving behind too few people to monitor what’s coming in our back doors.”
Just a month ago, Trump continued this process, firing Christopher Krebs, the former director of CISA, on November 18, saying he was doing so because Krebs defended the 2020 election as “the most secure in American history.” Krebs said that there “is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.”
And now, here we are. Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) said to SiriusXM about the hack: "Our national security is extraordinarily vulnerable. And, in this setting, to not have the White House aggressively speaking out and protesting and taking punitive action is really, really quite extraordinary."
The timing of the exposure of this hack might be coincidence, but it is curiously well timed. It illustrates to the world that Russia now holds power over the U.S. while the perpetrators can assume, after four years of Trump’s refusal to stand up to Putin, that they will not have to face immediate retaliation for the attack as they would have to if it were revealed just a month later.
President-elect Biden was briefed on the attack today. He warned that his administration would impose “substantial costs on those responsible for such malicious attacks, including in coordination with our allies and partners.” “A good defense isn’t enough; we need to disrupt and deter our adversaries from undertaking significant cyberattacks in the first place,” Biden said. “I will not stand idly by in the face of cyberassaults on our nation.”
To quote former POTUS Barack Obama... the 80s is calling and they want their foreign policy back. Too bad spineless Mittens didn't stand up for something he believed in. All of a sudden now Mr Mittens advice to BHO does not sound all that radical anymore. All the FLP really smart people all of a sudden realize the Rooskies are really bad people. Time for the queen of evil to give Biden that reset button. Mr Mittens should be rubbing the democrats nose in this... Mittens is too nice of a guy to ever do something like that.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm The Russians were able to pull this off while all of FLP America was chitting their pants about the Rooskies fixing our election.
FLPs don't run the gubmint, Trump does. Trump is Commander-in-Chief. The Secretary of Defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the head of Homeland Security: they all report to Trump.

Did Trump let the Russians walk in to our deepest secrets?

My money is on yes.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Anyone want to wager if the R's will cede Government control..., and act like limiting the government is ACTUALLY one of their values?

The Protect Our Civil Liberties Act would repeal both the Patriot Act and the FISA Amendments Act that permitted government agencies to collect mass telephone and email data. Gabbard and Massie argue that this surveillance violates Americans’ right to privacy and their civil liberties.

In a video announcement Wednesday, Gabbard said the bill would make sure that Congress "reexamines how best to strike this balance of protecting our national security interests while also ensuring that the constitutional rights of every single American is preserved.”

“Protection of our civil liberties is essential,” she later said. “Join us in making sure that our constitutional rights are upheld.”

The Hawaii Democrat also called out the intelligence community, saying it “has not been transparent or honest with the American people or even Congress about what they've been doing.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5304 ... atriot-act
old salt

Post by old salt »

Yesterday, in a different thread
old salt wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:55 pm Shouldn’t you be telling us how Russia is irrelevant and not a threat some more?
Change your password, segment your network & don't get lap dances from Russian or Chinese girls.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:55 pm Shouldn’t you be telling us how Russia is irrelevant and not a threat some more?
Change your password, segment your network & don't get lap dances from Russian or Chinese girls.
And ABSOLUTELY none of those efforts will make ANY DIFFERENCE. The hack is too deep. One of the ways they got in was through hacking a widely used network management tool (by hacking update files to provide back doors). They are in and have been in the networks for MONTHS. And quietly installing back doors since they had the keys to the kingdom. (Oh and BTW I used to deal with this stuff professionally.)

The US government was caught with its pants down and Trump and his minions in the WH have been crippling CISA for quite some time now. Their vaunted specialized tool to catch this saw some traces that it could not identify, and it was not until one of the private security firms discovered they were hacked themselves that this got found out.

This is bad enough that at any time the Russkies could potentially start the process of crippling the US government (unsecured) networks. This one is BAD.
old salt

Post by old salt »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:07 pm
And ABSOLUTELY none of those efforts will make ANY DIFFERENCE. The hack is too deep. One of the ways they got in was through hacking a widely used network management tool (by hacking update files to provide back doors). They are in and have been in the networks for MONTHS. And quietly installing back doors since they had the keys to the kingdom. (Oh and BTW I used to deal with this stuff professionally.)

The US government was caught with its pants down and Trump and his minions in the WH have been crippling CISA for quite some time now. Their vaunted specialized tool to catch this saw some traces that it could not identify, and it was not until one of the private security firms discovered they were hacked themselves that this got found out.

This is bad enough that at any time the Russkies could potentially start the process of crippling the US government (unsecured) networks. This one is BAD.
So you don't think segmenting our networks might reduce damage from intrusions like this ?

...& of course it's Trump's fault, everything is. What was done, specifically, to cripple CISA that allowed this ?

There was embedded malware in software update that was purchased by the US govt & a large number of private users, right ?
Is CISA the only agency checking this stuff ? CISA wasn't even created until 2018, right ?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:07 pm

So you don't think segmenting our networks might reduce damage from intrusions like this ?

...& of course it's Trump's fault, everything is. What was done, specifically, to cripple CISA that allowed this ?

There was embedded malware in software update that was purchased by the US govt & a large number of private users, right ?
Is CISA the only agency checking this stuff ? CISA wasn't even created until 2018, right ?
I am saying (segmentation) that closing the barn door after the horses are out does not work. It may be useful in standing up new networks built from the ground up that might replace the existing ones - but because of where the attack happened, even the routers and switches (and especially the firewalls) might be affected. So you might have to rebuild in parallel with new hardware/virtual networks.

Crippling of CISA by pushing out senior officials has been documented in the WaPo - and the general removal of functions and reworking them has had their toll before CISA was formed. And no - they are not the only ones checking but would be expected now to lead the process of rooting out a very imbedded foe.

But Trump has been wrecking administrative functions for most of his tenure, due to his "fight" against the "deep state". He did this with the pandemic response plans as well - remember?

As far as the software update - yes they did. That does not lessen the FACT that the government could not detect the problem for several months. And even now the president seems to be so detached from active management of ANYTHING that he cannot be trusted to deal with the problem. He is trying to deflect blame to China, which does not seem to be supported by any evidence (other than the fact that he just won't criticize Putin/Russia to save his life).

Return to “POLITICS”